Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which Canadian would you like to light the Flame?

Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    You are probably right... although to me Liz Manley would have seemed like a very logical choice. Though I HATE the idea, what if they are thinking about Elvis Stojko? I don't think he has carried it yet.
    It will not be Elvis - he really is not popular in his home country at all anymore. I am predicting Betty Fox all the way

On the Ice
    [url]http://www.olympic.ca/en/news/vancouver-2010-olympic-torch-relay-features-canadian-olympians/[/url]

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlilnothing View Post
    [url]http://www.olympic.ca/en/news/vancouver-2010-olympic-torch-relay-features-canadian-olympians/[/url]
    Very nice to see an actual list. I knew about Barbara Ann, Liz, Brian, Kurt and Isabelle as I had seen pictures and/or news stories but did not know Josee carried the torch as well. Cool! Among those coming up: Tracy Wilson, Victor Kraatz, Karen Magnussen, Melinda Kuhneygi, Mike Farrington.

You guys are missing the obvious choice here!!

I think it'll be Nancy Greene Raine who lights the Cauldron in just a few weeks time.

Why? She's from BC, she's Canada's first Alpine Gold Medalist/Olympic Champion, her and husband helped to found Whistler...Who could be more perfect!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Who could be more perfect!?!
    Betty Fox

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    She would be an excellent choice - I have to agree with you on that - but partial or not, I'm still rooting for the unlikely choice of Liz.

Custom Title
    I'd go with either Cindy Klassen or Clara Hughes. One to light the flame, the other to be flag bearer.

As Canada's most accomplished olympian, Klassen would (I hope) galvanize the Canadian team.

Red Green! LOL How about Rick Mercer? LOL (j/k)

I think Elvis hasn't carried it because he lives in Mexico now. Kurt, Liz, Brian, Tracy, etc., all still live in Canada for the most part.

I have heard Betty Fox from several different media sources so, if I was a betting woman, my money would be on her.

Here's my dream scenario: Donovan Bailey sprints it into the stadium and hands it to Jamie & David, Jamie and David skate it around an ice rink in the middle, then pass it off Mrs. Fox.

I don't want to see our currrent Olympians do it. It's too much excitement and focus on them. Reminds me of the "curse of the flagbearer" business (speaking of which, who will that be? I'd prefer Clara for that.)

I haven't got a clue as to who will light the flame, but I agree with posters above that S/P will probably be one of the final torchbearers; maybe even inside of the stadium. That would be very nice to see.

Well, we now know Clara will be the flagbearer so that lets her out of the running for sure. She's an awesome Canadian sportswoman & I'm glad they chose her to be our flagbearer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2