Which Canadian would you like to light the Flame? | Golden Skate

Which Canadian would you like to light the Flame?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Which Canadian would I like to light the flame? Karen Magnussen of course!! However, since Karen does not even rate a special pass to attend the games, I doubt she will get the honour. I have a feeling it will be Betty Fox - Terry Foxs' mom. Nothing against her, but I feel it should be someone like Karen who has inspired the country by winning an Olympic medal.

Who would you like to light the flame?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not Canadian, but I'd think Orser or Browning would be awesome... ;) :love: 'specially Browning.

i love to skate

Medalist
Betty Fox! No one inspired our country more than her son. I think his foundation has raised over $500 million dollars for cancer research.

I just hope it's not Gretzky! :disagree:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Betty Fox! No one inspired our country more than her son. I think his foundation has raised over $500 million dollars for cancer research.

I just hope it's not Gretzky! :disagree:

You are right! What did Gretzky ever accomplish to earn such an honor? :biggrin:

Here is my choice - and isn't it about time the rest of the world learned to appreciate Canadian humor? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgVspgy184

i love to skate

Medalist
You are right! What did Gretzky ever accomplish to earn such an honor? :biggrin:

He already has received enough recognition for his accomplishments, this country is Wayne Gretzky-ed out. We have far better choices to light the flame. If it is a hockey player who will light it - it will be Joe Sakic since he is a BC boy.

clonesheep

Rinkside
There're many great Canadian atheletes who have accomplished more in winter sports than any of their figure skaters. For instance Catriona Le May Doan, just from recent memory. They will be higher on the list.

For other considerations, how about some Inuit/Native American atheletes? Or (god forbid) just as a stun cast, Sarah Hughes who is a Canadian citizen.

amateur

Final Flight
I actually think Liz Manley is an acceptable choice, in terms of having had that most iconic successful Olympic performance by a Canadian on home soil (which we have a complex about...). But then again, her actual achievement was not any greater than that of, say, Orser, just a different context.

Someone like Catriona LeMay would be good, or maybe Clara Hughes (no, I didn't say Sarah Hughes, :rofl:) as I think she is an olympic medallist in both summer and winter games, an enormously respectable feat.

Of course hard to ignore the hockey guys in this country... but there are too many of them to single one out! I would never underestimate the reverence to Gretzky... though I'm not a hockey fan at all, and maybe there are indeed better choices. But I think the honour should go to one of the amateur athletes from an individual sport, as they don't get nearly enough attention in this country; this is their only time.

Last edited:

sarahjane

Rinkside
Apologizing in advance to Canadians, I don't know enough about other winter sports. But if it is a skater, my pick would be Barbara Ann Scott.

One of my memories of Worlds in Calgary is the people trooping up and down the stairs to ask for her autograph, or just to see her. She appeared smiling and gracious to all. The Canadians sitting around us were all agog that she was at the event, and I sensed a genuine affection for her.

That being said, Orser/Manley/Stojko/Underhill and Martini/ -- actually, any of the Canadian skaters would be great!

And if it isn't a skater, well, then I will learn more about Canadian sport history.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
David and Jamie! It would make a statement about the fairnes sof the games without saying a word. Don't think it will be, though, I think it will be Mrs. Fox.

I found a webpage awhile back that had all the former athletes who were going to carry the torch and when. Since I'm assuming those carrying it earlier in the relay wouldn't carry it again for the final legs, it hinted at those who may be carrying it during the openeing ceremonies. I wa spretty sure S&P and Donovan Bailey were missing form the list, whereas Karen Magnussen and Catriona LeMay-Doan are both scheduled to carry it. Liz Manley definitely already carried it, as did Kurt Borwning and Brian Orser.

I'll link it if I can find it again.

N

n_halifax

Since I'm assuming those carrying it earlier in the relay wouldn't carry it again for the final legs, it hinted at those who may be carrying it during the openeing ceremonies. I wa spretty sure S&P and Donovan Bailey were missing form the list, whereas Karen Magnussen and Catriona LeMay-Doan are both scheduled to carry it. Liz Manley definitely already carried it, as did Kurt Borwning and Brian Orser.

You are probably right... although to me Liz Manley would have seemed like a very logical choice. Though I HATE the idea, what if they are thinking about Elvis Stojko? :disapp: I don't think he has carried it yet.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Green should light it! :rock: :laugh:

I really shouldn't have a vote being from the US... but I still think Kurt should do it (even though he already carried it). When I think Canada, he's the first famous Canadian that comes to mind.

i love to skate

Medalist
You are probably right... although to me Liz Manley would have seemed like a very logical choice. Though I HATE the idea, what if they are thinking about Elvis Stojko? :disapp: I don't think he has carried it yet.

It will not be Elvis - he really is not popular in his home country at all anymore. I am predicting Betty Fox all the way :rock:

Tigger

Final Flight
You guys are missing the obvious choice here!!

I think it'll be Nancy Greene Raine who lights the Cauldron in just a few weeks time.

Why? She's from BC, she's Canada's first Alpine Gold Medalist/Olympic Champion, her and husband helped to found Whistler...Who could be more perfect!?!