Oda or Lysacek? | Golden Skate

Oda or Lysacek?

jennylovskt

Medalist
Plushenko is having knee problem. Joubert has injured himself and not fully recovered yet. Lambiel and Takahashi are not in a 100% good form so far. Verner is not reliable. Abbott is not steady and doesn't have the PCS he deserves. Chan is in question. The thought of winning OGM by a sub-par skater is almost unbearable. Such a depressing Olympic season so far! But what if?

If it's coming down to Oda and Lysacek:cry: (I hope it'll never happen), who would have better chance? I don't know if Oda would put a quad in his LP? I believe if he doesn't use one at Japan Nationals, he won't have it at the Olympics. I don't think Lysacek will have a quad at his Nationals, nor have it at the Olympics. I definitely consider these two as quadless skaters. I would personally prefer Oda to Lysacek for his light jumps and much better artistry. However, Oda seems to perform better in a less pressured situation. Lysacek is a tougher competitor. I'd like to hear your thoughts on these two. Thanks!

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
Plushenko is having knee problem. Joubert has injured himself and not fully recovered yet. Lambiel and Takahashi are not in a 100% good form so far. Verner is not reliable. Abbott is not steady and doesn't have the PCS he deserves. Chan is in question. The thought of winning OGM by a sub-par skater is almost unbearable. Such a depressed Olympic season so far! But what if?

If it's coming down to Oda and Lysacek:cry: (I hope it's never happen), who would have better chance? I don't know if Oda would put a quad in his LP? I believe if he doesn't use one at Japan Nationals, he won't have it at the Olympics. I don't think Lysacek will have a quad at his Nationals, nor have it at the Olympics. I definitely consider these two as quadless skaters. I would personally prefer Oda to Lysacek for his light jumps and much better artistry. However, Oda seems to perform better in a less pressured situation. Lysacek is a tougher competitor. I'd like to hear your thoughts on these two. Thanks!

I think it's a no-brainer.. Lysacek if he goes clean with jumps (including the pre rotated 3A) and if Oda does not have a clean quad and two 3As. Btw, my personal choice is obviously the reverse but the reality speaks for Lysacek under the circumstances I mentioned above.

Figure88

On the Ice
Lysacek: more expressive, doesn't crumble under pressure, tough competitor, Olympic experience.

nubka

Final Flight
Although I'd MUCH rather see Oda at the top of the the podium, I'd have to give the edge to Lysacek.

Of course, I'm still rooting for Plushy!!!! :love::love:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
If it's coming down to Oda and Lysacek:cry: (I hope it's never happen), who would have better chance?

Whomever the judges put first, for whatever reasons. If the tech is flawed, they'll 'fix' the pcs. Nobunari has better jumps, IMO. He shows (in practices) time after time, what he's capable of (and that is a 4+3+3?, if I'm not mistaken). His new lp suits his personality way better than all those dramas in the past.

Seems like it's either a good skater or a strong competitor, and almost never - both.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Lysacek is an excellent competitor, and I would see him as an excellent skater as well. He sure does not get high PCS (or TES) for just being a good competitor, his skating includes qualities that the judges appreciate.

This moment it is too early to say who might be in good form at the Olympics as there are injuries. I had not heard about Joubert??? In Olympic season sometimes skaters who are not best competitors may surprise. I would not write off Verner or Takahashi, yet.

Between Lysacek and Oda, I´ll definetely choose the World champion and two-time World bronze medalist.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Plushenko is having knee problem. Joubert has injured himself and not fully recovered yet. Lambiel and Takahashi are not in a 100% good form so far. Verner is not reliable. Abbott is not steady and doesn't have the PCS he deserves. Chan is in question. The thought of winning OGM by a sub-par skater is almost unbearable. Such a depressing Olympic season so far! But what if?

If it's coming down to Oda and Lysacek:cry: (I hope it'll never happen), who would have better chance? I don't know if Oda would put a quad in his LP? I believe if he doesn't use one at Japan Nationals, he won't have it at the Olympics. I don't think Lysacek will have a quad at his Nationals, nor have it at the Olympics. I definitely consider these two as quadless skaters. I would personally prefer Oda to Lysacek for his light jumps and much better artistry. However, Oda seems to perform better in a less pressured situation. Lysacek is a tougher competitor. I'd like to hear your thoughts on these two. Thanks!

I think it is an interesting question and if it came down to Oda or Lysacek I hope whoever skated the best and earned it on the ice would be given the OGM.

But I see no way yet to rule out Plushy, Joubert, Lambiel or even Tomas.

I feel the same for Chan, Dai and Weir.

For me, if Jeremy lands a quad and skates two clean programs he is the best skater. But the same could be said for Lambiel and even Tomas. But the odds on that happening on Olympic ice seem quite high.

I think there is a strong possibilty that Evan will be on the podium because he is capable of two relatively clean programs. But as many have pointed out there are better skaters than Evan - until they have to get on the ice and skate under pressure.

Wicked

Final Flight
In a battle between Evan and Nobu, I'd give the edge to Evan because he's such a solid competitor. But I don't think it's down to just these two. I wouldn't count anybody out yet. I'm waiting to see what we see at Euros. And I still think Johnny and Jeremy (who hopefully will both go to Vancouver) can potentially podium.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I no longer am able to take the medals seriously, because I feel that Cinquanta has a way of making the judges know what he wants to happen, and I think that what he wants to happen, is what happens. Right now, I think he is interested in getting back the U.S. TV audience, for the sake of the sponsor money it represents. Because of this, I expect that the win would go to Evan, if the contest were mainly between Evan and Nobunari, as the ISU already has the Japanese audience, because of the success of their Ladies. In general, I think it is true that medal winners enlarge the TV audiences of their respective nations, because people in the general TV audience like to feel that they are winners. I think that Cinquanta has figured this out. This is only my opinion, of course.

However, I do not think the contest will be so much between only Lysacek and Oda. There is going to be a lot of major talent out there. True, a lot of the major talent is injured, but the Olympics is far enough away for significant recoveries to have taken place by then.

I admit that Evan is formidable as a competitor; unfortunately for me, I do not generally enjoy his skating. It lacks the qualities that I particularly enjoy, but I realize that the TV audience may enjoy it greatly. However, I consider Evan's performance at the GP Final to have been alarmingly overscored. Three of the six competitors had significantly higher TES than he did, so how come his "Skating Skills" (in the PCS) were so much higher than theirs? I wonder what skating skills those judges had in mind--since TES includes spins, footwork, and jumps.

So, I shall just enjoy the skating which I enjoy, and ignore the judges' results. I shall not let suspicious scoring cause me to turn away from a sport which I admire for its own sake.

After some thought, since the question was asked, I decided to post my honest opinion, regardless of what slings and arrows it may incur. Probably I shall not engage in verbal fisticuffs to defend my opinion; time is too precious for me to indulge in that, but I have tried to tell the truth as I believe it to be, and I hope that I have offended no other posters by doing so.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I no longer am able to take the medals seriously, because I feel that Cinquanta has a way of making the judges know what he wants to happen, and I think that what he wants to happen, is what happens. Right now, I think he is interested in getting back the U.S. TV audience, for the sake of the sponsor money it represents. Because of this, I expect that the win would go to Evan, if the contest were mainly between Evan and Nobunari, as the ISU already has the Japanese audience, because of the success of their Ladies. In general, I think it is true that medal winners enlarge the TV audiences of their respective nations, because people in the general TV audience like to feel that they are winners. I think that Cinquanta has figured this out. This is only my opinion, of course.

This thought is refreshing!:) Lucky Evan!:scowl: It seems that the general public enjoy his skating a lot more than the die-hard skating fans do. But Evan will never have the power of Brian Boitano or Scott Hamilton. I doubt that he could change the general view on US figure skating.

However, I do not think the contest will be so much between only Lysacek and Oda. There is going to be a lot of major talent out there. True, a lot of the major talent is injured, but the Olympics is far enough away for significant recoveries to have taken place by then.

I really hope that you are right. If Plushenko and Joubert are healthy and go to the Olympics, Lysacek will never climb to the top of the podium. At least one of them will beat him no matter how solid he is.

I admit that Evan is formidable as a competitor; unfortunately for me, I do not generally enjoy his skating. It lacks the qualities that I particularly enjoy, but I realize that the TV audience may enjoy it greatly. However, I consider Evan's performance at the GP Final to have been alarmingly overscored. Three of the six competitors had significantly higher TES than he did, so how come his "Skating Skills" (in the PCS) were so much higher than theirs? I wonder what skating skills those judges had in mind--since TES includes spins, footwork, and jumps.

I have the same feeling and the same fear. But from the past experience, it seemed that Olympics judges gave marks a lot more cautious than the Worlds judges. (At least I felt so.) Any one knows if the GP judges will be the Olympic judges, or there will be a defferent group of judges?

So, I shall just enjoy the skating which I enjoy, and ignore the judges' results. I shall not let suspicious scoring cause me to turn away from a sport which I admire for its own sake.

Normally, I could do that. But I don't know if I could do it regarding to the OGM. It's too big to ignore who gets what.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What about Jeremy Abott and Daisuke?

I had just assumed that Olympic podium would be Lysacek-Daisuke-Abott

viv

On the Ice

I put this up when both Oda and Lysacek had won one GP event, and I just was curious for the predictions at that very moment. So the thread is not up to date any more. :)

jennylovskt

Medalist

I would love to see Abbott (to assume that he is one of the three in US Olympics team.:)) on the podium but it seems impossible to me. The judges won't recognize his excellency in his PCS. If he messes up with his quad or any jumps which he often does, he would be dragged down further.

Takahashi is a great skater, but he's technic in skating this year is a mess so far.

I put this up when both Oda and Lysacek had won one GP event, and I just was curious for the predictions at that very moment. So the thread is not up to date any more. :)

From what I have seen, I think the situation is worse if it's not the same. Lysacek has pocketed his seasonal best score and the highest PCS at GPF with that flawed LP. It really send the chilly through. I want to see what people think his chance.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Oda winning the Olympics is rather unlikely, because there has never been an Olympic men´s champion who has not stood on the Worlds podium earlier. And it is also very rare that a male skater wins the title in his first Olympics. Dick Button did it and it took 50 years for another skater to do it (Ilia Kulik in 1998 Nagano Olympics).

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Johnny!:party2:

Ok Oda. If the guys you mentioned are injured and cant skate well I will be glad if Oda is on top of podium! Although I think Takahashi will be better as season goes by! Japan Nationals will show something anyway.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Johnny!:party2:

Ok Oda. If the guys you mentioned are injured and cant skate well I will be glad if Oda is on top of podium! Although I think Takahashi will be better as season goes by! Japan Nationals will show something anyway.

Let's hope that after a couple of months, all the talks about Lysacek winning the gold become non-sense.:yes::p:biggrin:

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Personally I want Oda to win but of course reality kicks in and Lysacek has a better chance of winning the OGM. We all saw how the judges uberly-rewarded with Lysacek over his "supposed artistry." And with his constinency, Lysacek has a chance of winning the gold.

But lets not forget other skaters who are also able to get the gold, Plushenko, Joubert, and Lambiel. I do believe that the OGM should go to a skater who manages to complete a quad and a quad combo as well. With Lysacek's injuries and Oda's reluctance with the quad, its alittle too hard to choose between the two of them.

Bennett

Record Breaker
It would be interesting if Oda wins. Yet, I do not see him strong under pressures. At the same time, I do not really feel that he himself is looking at OGM. This is his first Olympics, after all. If he could just relax and enjoy, he would have a chance. So the best scenario for him is that he comes in the third in SP and have a strong LP and wins, like Shizuka did.

Somehow I feel that Jeremy may have better chance than Oda. He has well-constructed programs and does not seem to have Oda's (lovable) sloppiness. Oda makes too many bizarre mistakes to be a strong competitor. If Morosov can control that sloppiness well, however, Oda may do as well as Jeremy.

I do not know Evan or Plushy well enough to comment. No ideas about the injuries of Lambiel and Joubert, either.

If clean, Dai may be very close to OGM. He is a mature skater both technically and artistically. Unlike Lambiel and Joubert, he is not injured this season, either. He says that his physical condition is just wonderful. But he needs to be able to skate a clean LP, which has not happened yet.

I do not have a feeling that Patrick Chan would be okay under home pressures.

I am a big fan of Tomas, but I have never seen him having two clean programs and I do not see it happen in the Olympics esp having seen his showing this season. It's cool if he surprises us though.

jennylovskt

Medalist
If clean, Dai may be very close to OGM. He is a mature skater both technically and artistically. Unlike Lambiel and Joubert, he is not injured this season, either. He says that his physical condition is just wonderful. But he needs to be able to skate a clean LP, which has not happened yet.

The 2007-08 Dai had the best shot at the top of the podium. I agree that he is a mature skater. But his performances this season were very disappointing so far. He not only messed up his jumps, but also tripped every where which we rarely see on this level of competing. I do hope that he improves tremandously in the next a couple of months to get the old Dai back (just old Dai would be technically good enough). Then put his nerves under control, he'll be fine.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
He says that his flexibility improved during the rehab period, and that he can do bigger moves, but that he sometimes cannot control them very well. He and commentators do say that his spins, steps, and jumps got better than the past. So perhaps if he can put them together, a new Dai may be even better. But yeah, nerves, and stamina, too.
I like his programs this year. They are very sophisticated.