Flagbearer? | Golden Skate

Flagbearer?

Wrlmy

Medalist
In Vancouver, how many figure skaters will be named flag bearers?

I got bored and looked up the list of flag bearers in 2006.
Kevin VDP, Fleur Maxwell:love:, Tugba Karademir, Galit Chait, Vakhtang Murvanidze and of course Carolina Kostner made the list.

I know many skaters elect to arrive after the opening ceremony, but I want to see as many skaters to bear their national flags!

R.D.

Record Breaker
In Vancouver, how many figure skaters will be named flag bearers?

I got bored and looked up the list of flag bearers in 2006.
Kevin VDP, Fleur Maxwell:love:, Tugba Karademir, Galit Chait, Vakhtang Murvanidze and of course Carolina Kostner made the list.

I know many skaters elect to arrive after the opening ceremony, but I want to see as many skaters to bear their national flags!

Would be very surprised if Yuna Kim isn't holding Korea's flag...

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Besides Yu-Na, I suspect Tugba will carry her country's flag again, and if KVDP did once, he might do so again, or let someone else take a turn, and I remember reading that Roman Zaretski expects to carry the flag for Israel. Stephane would have carried the Swiss flag in 2006 except at the last minute he didn't make the ceremony; I hope he makes it this time. There is talk about Tomas carrying the Czech flag, and he has said he would be honored, but he's probably not the only athlete under consideration for it.
And while I haven't heard anything about it, I really hope Elene gets to carry the flag for Georgia. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Mao(or possibly one of the other skaters,especially if she doesn't attend the ceremony) with the Japanese flag, though there's a lot of competition within the delegation.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Agree with all the names mentioned above. I also think Evan deserves nomination although the chance is small.
I wonder if Shen/Zhao will be selected for China? Germany has too many athletes/medal hopefuls I can't see either of S/S being selected.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't know, but both Kurt Browning and Brian Orser say "it's a curse" to carry in the Olympic flag. ;)

Audrey19

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure none of S&S will be selected. Germany is so strong in Biathlon, I think it will be one of them again.
However, I find it really strange that only one of a couple is selected, isn't that unfair?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know, but both Kurt Browning and Brian Orser say "it's a curse" to carry in the Olympic flag. ;)

I don't know, but I would still think it's a great honor to be chosen to carry the flag for your country (and Lad, you know I :love: both Kurt and Brian O.). :biggrin:

Wrlmy

Medalist

Carolina agrees.

I'm convinced Japan will select one of their skaters, as they probably have the best medal prospect. Wasn't Shizuka the only Japanese medalist back in Turin?

Gedevanishivili also seems like a strong candidate for Georgia.

I would be pleasantly surprised if Hungary picks Julia. This will be her fourth olympic game, and she deserves some respect!

As for S. Korea, I'm not sure Yuna will be chosen over so many speed skaters.

berrycute

On the Ice
As for S. Korea, I'm not sure Yuna will be chosen over so many speed skaters.

I think she will at least be asked to do it, isn't she like Samsung's official face in Korea now? But then again, big stars like her often don't show up for the ceremony, I mean Michelle didn't, did she?

Audrey19

On the Ice
I think it's outrageous not to attend the opening ceremony, especially if you're asked to carry the flag. That's such a great honour how can you deny that?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think it's outrageous not to attend the opening ceremony, especially if you're asked to carry the flag. That's such a great honour how can you deny that?

Because opening ceremonies are long and can be somewhat taxing, and if you need to get up early the next day to practice/perform, you can be at a disadvantage. I suspect they might wait until the closing ceremony for Yu-Na to carry the flag (presuming she wins).

viv

On the Ice
I'm not sure, but I think as twice World champion and silver medal winner of the last Olympics Stephane has a good chance to carry the Swiss flag. But as other winter sports are much more popular here, I could be wrong.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I'm not sure, but I think as twice World champion and silver medal winner of the last Olympics Stephane has a good chance to carry the Swiss flag. But as other winter sports are much more popular here, I could be wrong.

I'm sure they have lots of great skiers or bobsledders who might be flag bearer for the Swiss, also.

As for the US, perhaps Lindsey Vonn will be the flag bearer.

Wicked

Final Flight
Phoenix347, I was thinking Lindsey Vonn too. They have been promoting the crap out of her and skiing is so popular.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
While I don't know if they do this every time, at the 2008 Olympics, the flagbearer was chosen by a vote of team captains, and that means it might not be the biggest star of the games who gets it; it wasn't in Beijing, where the winner was more noted for his amazing life story than anything else, but actively campaigned for the honor. Unfortunately none of our top skaters having amazing life stories anywhere near the level of this guy's, and I don't know if any of them would care to take the time to campaign for it.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I've heard that Julia Sebestyen will carry the Hungarian flag - a well-deserved honor. :agree:

Also, contrary to earlier reports, it appears that Sasha rather than Roman Zaretsky will be the Israeli flagbearer.

The Canadian flagbearer will not be a figure skater and I'm guessing that for the first time since 1998, the Italian flagbearer will not be named Kostner.

i love to skate

Medalist
Because opening ceremonies are long and can be somewhat taxing, and if you need to get up early the next day to practice/perform, you can be at a disadvantage. I suspect they might wait until the closing ceremony for Yu-Na to carry the flag (presuming she wins).

The ladies event doesn't start till about 10 days after the opening ceremonies. So there is plenty of time to rest. Also, the opening ceremonies are going to be held indoors so there isn't the threat of the athletes freezing.