Page 2 of 206 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

Here is Oksana skating to " Meditation" back in '95:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQIJv...eature=related

Custom Title
    Can't wait to see this program. I bet it'll become one of my favorites.

Those banners are so cool!

Can someone tell me how can I do a banner like the one on photo 15? Like what programs should I use, etc. Thanks!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Here is Oksana skating to " Meditation" back in '95:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQIJv...eature=related

Personally, rolling across the ice like that is a little too much IMO. Her jumping looks very awkward and she doesn't really have good technique there. But other than that, she seems very artistic and seems to take the "ballerina" interpretation to ice skating pretty literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    Personally, rolling across the ice like that is a little too much IMO. Her jumping looks very awkward and she doesn't really have good technique there. But other than that, she seems very artistic and seems to take the "ballerina" interpretation to ice skating pretty literally.
    I think Oksana is still the standard for "ballerinas on the ice."

Her carriage and positions are lovely. Not many skaters today can match them.

This clip was from a Pro cheesefest and not like falling at Worlds.

I am sure Yuna will come up with a beautiful program to "Meditation." I think it will be a welcome change after that "PDSTM" program which is cheesy even by cheesefest standards.
    Last edited by janetfan; 12-21-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    Actually, Meditation from Thais does not have to be serious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da8HEwnKBu8
    I loooove Kurt Browning version.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by inside edge View Post
    I loooove Kurt Browning version.
    Thanks!
    Here is G/G in a beautiful program to Meditation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snE1f...m=PL&index=141

Custom Title
    Here is G/G in a beautiful program to Meditation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snE1f...m=PL&index=141
    Sooooo beautiful as always.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by inside edge; 12-21-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Custom Title
    I think Oksana is still the standard for "ballerinas on the ice."

Her carriage and positions are lovely. Not many skaters today can match them.

This clip was from a Pro cheesefest.

Yuna looked a little awkard and fell on a 2A at that "Skating with the Stars" appearance she did a little while ago.

Oksana did OK for herself, winning a WC and an OGM by age 16.

I am sure Yuna will come up with a beautiful program to "Meditation." I think it will be a welcome change after that "PDSTM" program which is cheesy even by cheesefest standards.
    Eh. I looked at her previous competitions and her jumping technique was not much better even though she executed technically less difficult jumps by today's standards (no 3-3 combos or 3a, for instance). (The commentator in the video also said that other than the lutz, she executed the jumps better than the Olympics.) She does have excellent form and carriage. Still, I think it's obvious that skating standards have changed a lot from the 90s.
    Last edited by Figure88; 12-21-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Eh. I looked at her previous competitions and her jumping technique was not much better even though she executed technically less difficult jumps by today's standards (no 3-3 combos or 3a, for instance). (The commentator in the video also said that other than the lutz, she executed the jumps better than the Olympics.) She does have excellent form and carriage. Still, I think it's obvious that skating standards have changed a lot from the 90s.
    The commentator is Scott Hamilton who a year earlier at the Olympics declared Nancy Kerrigan the winner. So I guess he was just trying to be consisitent

Custom Title
    The commentator is Scott Hamilton who a year earlier at the Olympics declared Nancy Kerrigan the winner. So I guess he was just trying to be consisitent
    Maybe Kerrigan was a better jumper? I would have made the same bet if she was. Baiul does not look to me as that consistent of a skater (especially jump-wise). I also agree with Scott Hamilton in his chiding comments to the other commentator who said that artistry trumps the bad jumps or something to that effect. Hamilton is always asked to commentate on major ice skating competitions (like the World Championships, Olympics etc) over Wylie and other popular ice skating commentators. I doubt he would be asked so often and at such major events if his comments were that off. I actually find him pretty entertaining and agree with his comments most of time.
    Last edited by Figure88; 12-21-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Custom Title
    Lol, Scott Hamilton is a H U G E Oksana Baiul Fan, always has been.

What I'm saying is definitely not hyperbole. I'm a long time Oksana Baiul Fan since the first time I saw her skate at 1993 Worlds.

And as a long-time fan, I know of what I speak, and have evidence to prove it. Lol, yes, I actually have a notebook of all my favorite quotes about Oksana over the years, a majority that are from Mr. Hamilton, as follows:

And I think if you look at the history of ladies figure skating...I think you'd have to put Oksana Baiul in the top one...as far as artistic ability and how to deliver and put together a beautifully choreographed program.

Her beauty and artistry combine every generation of figure skating...I...this is so special...to have an Oksana Baiul to witness & appreciate...she is truly amazing.

Nobody in the history of the sport has skated with more beauty and artistry than Oksana Baiul.

If I were judging this event...6.0...

Flexibility, artistry, quality...it's just a joy to watch her skate.

Again she's a 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, in my book!

It's so rare but every now & then a skater comes along...who NEVER has to leave the ice...the athleticism is one thing, but...Oksana Baiul is so unique & special...I haven't seen a skater like this...since the late 60's...Janet Lynn.

She has the strength of her skating in artistry...her approach to her skating is unique to everybody else...in the skating community...and young skaters out there...if you want to be special...follow your own path...she has.

By the way, as I mentioned over in the COC forum last month, my favorite "Meditation from Thais" program is Oksana Baiul's from the Fall of 1995 (it's not on youtube btw). She had just flown back from Sergei Grinkov's funeral in Russia, and was a mess, but I think because of this she managed to deliver thee most heartbreaking/touching/poignant performance ever, which she dedicated to Sergei (the judges in the background were equally spellbound). As always, she created a mood, and didn't deviate. Her artistry truly comes from the heart; she knows what it's like to lose loved ones (e.g. grandfather, grandmother, mother, coach, friends, father) and it shows in her skating.

ps: G&G's interpretation is also a fav of mine, which I also mentioned last month in the COC forum. Young love, ah...

Now back to the exquisite Yuna Kim, I am looking forward to viewing this exhibition skate, Meditation from Thais is a favorite of mine.

Maybe Kerrigan was a better jumper? I would have made the same bet if she was. Baiul does not look to me as that consistent of a skater (especially jump-wise). I also agree with Scott Hamilton in his chiding comments to the other commentator who said that artistry trumps the bad jumps or something to that effect. Hamilton is always asked to commentate on major ice skating competitions (like the World Championships, Olympics etc) over Wylie and other popular ice skating commentators. I doubt he would be asked so often and at such major events if his comments were that off. I actually find him pretty entertaining and agree with his comments most of time.
    Oksana retired from competitive skating after winning the OGM.

I don't think she ever trained as much after she retired and her jumps did suffer for it. BTW, how many Lady skaters try a 3Lutz at this type of event? Did the Lady skaters at FOI do 3Lutzes last summer?

Oksana is still a skater who will always be remembered for her innovative and balletic style. She had a real and lasting impact of Ladies skating.

The announcer's comments you refer to were from a cheesefest. That announcer was not a skater and was more than likely reading from a script.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    http://english.donga.com/srv/service...=2009122155478

Yu-na stated that "she no longer feels any pressure" to win in Vancover. hmmm
    Was the interview in English or Korean? (Meaning did she say that in Korean or not?)

I wouldn't trust their translators to get the nuance right if she spoke in Korean the entire time.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Was the interview in English or Korean? (Meaning did she say that in Korean or not?)

I wouldn't trust their translators to get the nuance right if she spoke in Korean the entire time.
    Hello eveyone~

How do you do?

I am happy to join in Golden skate.

The interview was in Korean.

"I’m aware that the Olympics are full of surprises and that one could happen to me." ===> This means she will prepare herself for unhappy result, because there is no knowing what the future may bring forth.

Page 2 of 206 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast