Yuna Kim | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Re: Yu-Na news

The one point ISU may have sound reason if any is that decisions of "in/out" should be made before the assignments, especially of those skaters the sponsors are looking for. (which are clause-technically the "seeded" skaters. Of course in reality many more are seeked for.)
And the ISU may say that the member federations are responsible for keeping this. Bureaucracy it is, but maybe inevitable to keep the Union unsided and neutral...well seemingly at least.

I guess they may have been hedging for this risk (of Yu-Na dropping out) when they put Miki in both of her events. Now, each event still has one of the top 3 at Worlds in their lineups (i.e. formerly one of 1.Mao/2.Yuna/3.Laura, now one of 1.Mao/3.Laura/4.Miki).

...And the ISU may say that the member federations are responsible for keeping this. Bureaucracy it is, but maybe inevitable to keep the Union unsided and neutral...well seemingly at least.

In my opinion, that is indeed the ISU's dilemma. They cannot really "punish" individual skaters, because no individual skater is a member of the ISU. The members of the ISU are the national federations.

Plushenko got in trouble because he skated in a show without the permission of the Russian federation, not becuase the show was not sanctioned by the ISU. In Kim's case, the Korean feseration has the contractural right as an ISU member to send its national champion to Worlds, even if that individual happens to be in the ISU's dog house.

I am sure it will all work out in a way that lets everyone save face.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice

I don't think Yu-na mustn't say she's skipping GP series and will compete at Tokyo World at all. I know some skaters skipped it,but how many skaters announced that kind of thing before even starting GPS??

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

actually she DOES have to tell the ISU if she is not going to compete and the sooner the better so they can fill her slots.

bmelanie

On the Ice

I did worry when I saw this news that Yuna was procrastinating - I felt like she was buying more time and creating reasons to delay her comeback into competition. At the same time, though, I understand why she would skip the GP series; I wouldn't be exactly envious of the continent-hopping she would have to do if she participated.
More importantly, however, I think these recent articles and interviews have shown she has recovered at least some motivation for competition; she's set up a theme for her new programs, she's set a deadline to train for, and she's still training in prep for the ice show, so there's really no reason she wouldn't be ready by the time Worlds rolls round.

R.D.

Record Breaker

I did worry when I saw this news that Yuna was procrastinating - I felt like she was buying more time and creating reasons to delay her comeback into competition. At the same time, though, I understand why she would skip the GP series; I wouldn't be exactly envious of the continent-hopping she would have to do if she participated.
More importantly, however, I think these recent articles and interviews have shown she has recovered at least some motivation for competition; she's set up a theme for her new programs, she's set a deadline to train for, and she's still training in prep for the ice show, so there's really no reason she wouldn't be ready by the time Worlds rolls round.

The easy part is getting to the top. The hard part is staying at the top. :cool:

sillylionlove

Medalist

I am going to be a total pessimist here and say that I don't expect to see Yuna completing at the world championships this year.

brownfox

On the Ice

Yuna said during the All That Skate Summer 2010 press conference today the reason why she's skipping the GP series is because in previous seasons, by this time, she was already training and working on new programs. But, this time, she has not worked on any new programs, so they felt that extra time and preparation by skipping GP series would be beneficial, so Yuna can be at her best and at the same time she needs more rest.

Sounds like Yuna is competitive again.

R.D.

Record Breaker

Sounds like Yuna is competitive again.

We shall see...

Anyway I think she's giving the 2nd reason. I speculate that the 1st reason is that she has lost some motivation (otherwise she would be getting ready right now).

brownfox

On the Ice

We shall see...

Anyway I think she's giving the 2nd reason. I speculate that the 1st reason is that she has lost some motivation (otherwise she would be getting ready right now).

Yeah, who knows. 7 months is looonnnnggg.

prettykeys

Medalist
"What would it hurt to miss 1 season?"

The alternative, by missing one season fully, is that YuNa could:

...end up competitively rusty by the next season (no, shows are not good substitutes for this. Rustiness is not just about the muscle memory, but also being accustomed to competitive pressure.)
...lose too much momentum and favour from judges. You want to keep them refreshed in their memories about how good you are, if you're one of the top skaters.

Also, thanks to sorcerer's thoughtful posts on this subject--YuNa probably wants to keep 2 spots for S. Korea, and ayayu's post is true in that YuNa isn't technically obligated to state so early on that she will commit to skating at World's, but I suspect these announcements are also to not disappoint her team and fans.

Lastly, perhaps YuNa wants more World's medals.

We shall see...

When YuNa is stating she "needs more rest", it's inherent (to me at least) that she's including mental rest, i.e. with regards to motivation. Perhaps it's your lack of Korean language sense, but "shyuh ya dweh" can mean "I need rest" or "I need a break." So no, I don't believe she is slyly sidestepping the issue in her interviews. At the same time, I have an inkling that brownfox is also right: the fact that she is planning things this way may actually reflect a persisting competitive attitude. If she weren't looking at it from a longer-term perspective, then I would be more suspicious that she wasn't planning on skating for much longer and would prefer to give the next season a throwaway try with a shrug of the shoulders.

In addition, YuNa has been busy enough to not have decided on and started training new programs for this fall so far, and if she had been serious about doing the Grand Prix, she would have only gotten the equivalent of a college summer break after winning the Olympics (4 months officially off, about 3 months needed for dedicated training.) The only difference is that college students are kids who haven't yet graduated and want to get a move on to the next pre-determined thing. :p I'd say YuNa is more like a fresh grad who wants to figure out what she wants to do next. So, YuNa opted to take 6-7 months off rather than 4 months--good for her. It is NOT long, at all. My 4-month summers end far too quickly.

ordinary person

On the Ice

Like i said before,she's done and won't get any better,plus she knows she didn't do well and got over scored at worlds herself,and with the new rules she's too nervous to fail,that says enough.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Worlds is in Japan this year and the new SP rule about the Axel jump specifically benefits Mao Asada. I think Yu-Na going to Worlds will depend on how Mao performs throughout the season. If Mao's 3Axel is inconsistent, then Yu-Na may show up. Otherwise, I think Yu-Na will skip Worlds and then either start training a 3Axel of her own for the 2011-2012 season or stop competing altogether (while keeping her options open for later seasons, if she sees no competitors with a good 3Axel).

Last edited: