Yuna Kim | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think the problem is how do you raise the bar from a Danse Macabre. What could have measured up? I think the move to an 007 type was likely the best way to go.

I do think that was Team Yu-na's goal. She said herself in the begining if the season that she wasn't sure she could top last year's SP. Personlly I would have used Danse Macabre for another year.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think the problem is how do you raise the bar from a Danse Macabre. What could have measured up? I think the move to an 007 type was likely the best way to go.

You make a good point. I think doing 007 this year shows that Yuna is versatile. Her Fliedermaus SP in 07-08 I wasn't crazy about at first either, but she can make any music look good.

janetfan

Match Penalty

How did Michelle do it? How many great programs did Michelle show us in her career? How many times did she top herself?

I think it gets back to the "body of work" theme that was discussed recently and why Michelle has achieved such legendary status with so any skating fans.

I think Yuna's Bond Girl program is fine and didn't she already score higher with Bond Girl at TEB than her best score from Danse Macabre?

Today's skating places more emphasis on points and Yuna seems to be doing very well scoring points.

For my own taste and preferences I am still waiting for Yuna to top "Roxanne" but it is possible that might not happen. But each fan has their own favorite programs.

MKFSfan

Medalist
janetfan said:
I think it gets back to the "body of work" theme that was discussed recently and why Michelle has achieved such legendary status with so any skating fans.

My thoughts exactly. Once a skater reaches the top of their technically ability, the idea is to keep that side consistent, and add to the artistic ability side. I don't expect to see quads and 3a's from Yu-Na, but I do anticipate more creative programs from her team, maybe try different themes and characters, and just watch her grow as an artist, adding to her "body of work."

schiele

Final Flight
My thoughts exactly. Once a skater reaches the top of their technically ability, the idea is to keep that side consistent, and add to the artistic ability side. I don't expect to see quads and 3a's from Yu-Na, but I do anticipate more creative programs from her team, maybe try different themes and characters, and just watch her grow as an artist, adding to her "body of work."

Very nice points.. agreed. I guess these are the reasons for my (moderate) disappointment for this year's programmes from Yuna.. I think that's what Lambiel tried to do since 2005 because he was pretty much at peak then in terms of his technical abilities, whereas we saw him reach his peak artistically with Poeta just before he retired (I'm not counting this season yet..)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Very nice points.. agreed. I guess these are the reasons for my (moderate) disappointment for this year's programmes from Yuna.. I think that's what Lambiel tried to do since 2005 because he was pretty much at peak then in terms of his technical abilities, whereas we saw him reach his peak artistically with Poeta just before he retired (I'm not counting this season yet..)

On the other hand a skater like Plushy seems to have been more artistic and showed more variety in his programs when he was younger.

I may like Yuna's "Roxanne" more than her other SP's but again that is just my taste. I do give Yuna alot of credit for showing variety in her programs.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'm actually surprised she's been breaking all the records with the 007 SP this year, I mean obviously she is a great skater, but I am not quite as impressed with the choreography and her expression in it as I was with Tango De Roxanne and Danse Macabre. Yuna is a very sophisticated skater and while she still pulls of the whole sexy look in 007, the program seems almost kind of silly.

Another contributor to the record breaking with 007 program is the fact that her technical score got a boost with the addition of the lutz combination and not to mention her other jumps look great. I think if she skated Danse Macabre with the lutz combo and otherwise as well as she skates 007 at TEB, she would have gotten an even better score.

Ptolemy

Rinkside
I think if she skated Danse Macabre with the lutz combo and otherwise as well as she skates 007 at TEB, she would have gotten an even better score.
Yes, in retrospect she should have skated to Bond last year and Dance Macabre this year all else being equal.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes, in retrospect she should have skated to Bond last year and Dance Macabre this year all else being equal.

That might have been a smarter idea, but Yuna is great no matter what she is skating too. Plus no one else has a program this year that is anything like her 007 SP, which is good because it will set her apart from her competitors (even more so than she is already due to her unmatched talent). Does she not have any more competitions until the Olympics? That's kind of a long time to go without competing

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Does she not have any more competitions until the Olympics? That's kind of a long time to go without competing

Kim has decided to skip the 4CC, which will be held in Korea, her home country. I heard that ISU is trying to get her to skate in this competition as the face of Korean figure skating (unsure about validity), but she is firm in her decision. This is the only big competition left between now and the Olympics, but I think she's made the smart choice. Orser has barred her from all media contact, which gets on her nerves (that whole flip business. The Korean reporters asked about it so much -- "What's wrong with your flip?" "Can you still land it?" -- that I think it got to her, forming a mental block). Participating in another competition will expose her to all of that again, something she probably wants to avoid. Most skaters avoid the 4CC in the Olympic year anyway because it's so close to what is the single most important competition of their lives. Although she's far from perfect, Kim no longer needs to prove herself on international ice, get more feedback from judges, run through the program just once more, like Mao (who will compete). She can afford to skip the competition.

Kim doesn't participate in the Korean Nationals, which occurred earlier on in the year to determine who will accompany her to the Vancouver Olympics (obviously, she's locked). That's an opportunity for most skaters to compete once more before the Olympic Games, but that's not really an option for Kim.

She's also said in an interview that last year's GPF was the most excrutiatingly difficult competition for her -- she was trembling on ice, just wishing it would all end. Skating on home ground is so difficult for her because of high expectations and the abnormally enthusiastic Korean crowd (also, she was sick and struggling with jet lag). I doubt she wants to repeat that experience, esp. when the Games are so close. It could become a blow from which she will struggle to recover.

figurejennah

On the Ice
Kim has decided to skip the 4CC, which will be held in Korea, her home country. I heard that ISU is trying to get her to skate in this competition as the face of Korean figure skating (unsure about validity), but she is firm in her decision. This is the only big competition left between now and the Olympics, but I think she's made the smart choice. Orser has barred her from all media contact, which gets on her nerves (that whole flip business. The Korean reporters asked about it so much -- "What's wrong with your flip?" "Can you still land it?" -- that I think it got to her, forming a mental block). Participating in another competition will expose her to all of that again, something she probably wants to avoid. Most skaters avoid the 4CC in the Olympic year anyway because it's so close to what is the single most important competition of their lives. Although she's far from perfect, Kim no longer needs to prove herself on international ice, get more feedback from judges, run through the program just once more, like Mao (who will compete). She can afford to skip the competition.

Kim doesn't participate in the Korean Nationals, which occurred earlier on in the year to determine who will accompany her to the Vancouver Olympics (obviously, she's locked). That's an opportunity for most skaters to compete once more before the Olympic Games, but that's not really an option for Kim.

She's also said in an interview that last year's GPF was the most excrutiatingly difficult competition for her -- she was trembling on ice, just wishing it would all end. Skating on home ground is so difficult for her because of high expectations and the abnormally enthusiastic Korean crowd (also, she was sick and struggling with jet lag). I doubt she wants to repeat that experience, esp. when the Games are so close. It could become a blow from which she will struggle to recover.

THANK GOD! Smart choice Yuna. I am so glad that she's not participating in 4CC!!! I did see a video clip of her crying at GPF last year because of all the pressure she got from Korean people. That just was so hard to watch, and I hope people leave her alone till the Olympics. I hope ISU and Korean fed stop bothering her to go to 4CC!! tsk tsk.

Anyway, I was on youtube, and here it is finally! A video made by Yuna fans regarding her 3-3 downgrade in TOKYO! :) Right after GPF, someone on golden forum predicted that Yuna fans will come up with a video explaining Yuna's downgrade situation, and here it is. ROFL

What do you all think? ahahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjBfMZlm_xo

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
T
Anyway, I was on youtube, and here it is finally! A video made by Yuna fans regarding her 3-3 downgrade in TOKYO! :) Right after GPF, someone on golden forum predicted that Yuna fans will come up with a video explaining Yuna's downgrade situation, and here it is. ROFL

Wow, what a cool video! And I do agree that the whole downgrade and edge call business is complete BS because if Yuna can't do a clean 3-3 then no one can. I do agree it was a little extreme though but I like all the special effects! I'm glad Yuna decided not to go to 4CC, she got her flip at GPF and that was my only concern for her. She is in a good position now for the Olympics and hopefully the fans will cool down a bit. She is the best female singles skater that will be at the Olympics by far (IMO) and I will be very surprised if she does not win the Gold Medal. Even if she doesn't win the gold medal, I'm just so excited to watch her skate. She is amazing :agree: .

GOOOO YUNA! :clap::bow::party2::rock:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Another contributor to the record breaking with 007 program is the fact that her technical score got a boost with the addition of the lutz combination and not to mention her other jumps look great. I think if she skated Danse Macabre with the lutz combo and otherwise as well as she skates 007 at TEB, she would have gotten an even better score.

Actually there is no difference in the base technical point potential as far as the jumps are concerned between 007 and Danse Macabre program.

Danse Macabre jump sequence:

3F/3T = 9.5
3L = 6.0
2A = 3.5

Total = 19.0

Bond Medley jump sequence:

3L/3T = 10.0
3F = 5.5
2A = 3.5

Total = 19.0

At first, I too was a little put off by the Bond Medley program but she has refined it now to the point of not being overly cutesy and I like it more now. Even I appreciated the technical pyrotechnics of Danse Macabre, it never set my world on fire, either. And as some have said already, the Bond program is definitely different from all the other ladies short programs. She even said it feels more like a exhibition program to her so maybe it allows her to relax more. I didn't really like Die Fleldermaus either but that was probably mostly due to personal dislike of the costume. Le Tango de Roxanne remain my favorite program for her. Probably the most expressive of all her short programs.

As far as the 3L/3T downgrade issue, I agree that we need to move on as that is over with. It will only resurface if that become an issue again during the Olympics.

adoreyuna

Rinkside
Actually there is no difference in the base technical point potential as far as the jumps are concerned between 007 and Danse Macabre program.

Danse Macabre jump sequence:

3F/3T = 9.5
3L = 6.0
2A = 3.5

Total = 19.0

Bond Medley jump sequence:

3L/3T = 10.0
3F = 5.5
2A = 3.5

Total = 19.0

At first, I too was a little put off by the Bond Medley program but she has refined it now to the point of not being overly cutesy and I like it more now. Even I appreciated the technical pyrotechnics of Danse Macabre, it never set my world on fire, either. And as some have said already, the Bond program is definitely different from all the other ladies short programs. She even said it feels more like a exhibition program to her so maybe it allows her to relax more. I didn't really like Die Fleldermaus either but that was probably mostly due to personal dislike of the costume. Le Tango de Roxanne remain my favorite program for her. Probably the most expressive of all her short programs.

As far as the 3L/3T downgrade issue, I agree that we need to move on as that is over with. It will only resurface if that become an issue again during the Olympics.

Some people said Yuna's Sp is looking easy just as a gala program, other said it is more advanced type, very comfortable to see, even though composed of extraordinary difficult elements. I guess Judges and figure skate's experts know it exactly so she gets huge scores.

We need to remember that " Figure skating is everything. It is not just about the JUMPS. You remember the programs, not the elements." from Jeffrey Buttle. I'd like to recommend this article to somebody.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=4771027

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice

Aside from facts, that is really well-made clip. hats off to the editor~

As myself being yuna fan, I see their points. well, who knows what.

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
Wow, what a cool video! And I do agree that the whole downgrade and edge call business is complete BS because if Yuna can't do a clean 3-3 then no one can. I do agree it was a little extreme though but I like all the special effects! I'm glad Yuna decided not to go to 4CC, she got her flip at GPF and that was my only concern for her. She is in a good position now for the Olympics and hopefully the fans will cool down a bit. She is the best female singles skater that will be at the Olympics by far (IMO) and I will be very surprised if she does not win the Gold Medal. Even if she doesn't win the gold medal, I'm just so excited to watch her skate. She is amazing :agree: .
GOOOO YUNA! :clap::bow::party2::rock:

exactly! same here :love: