Yuna Kim | Page 128 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Kwan and Kim Might Perform Together, again - This Time for the Greater Cause

c/o RunnersHigh on FSU

http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view....20120621001000
The Korean sports idol met Kwan as global ambassador of the Special Olympics for the mentally handicapped at a news conference on the Games, held in Seoul on Thursday.

“Nothing is determined yet on an ice show (for the closing ceremony) featuring Kwan and me, but I am positive about it,” Kim said.

“If I am with Michelle Kwan (in an ice show) for other Olympians, it will be an unforgettable experience, and if a decision is made to proceed with the show, I will prepare myself actively.”

Kwan is a two-time Olympic medalist and five-time world champion whom Kim admired as a role model. Kwan has performed in ice shows for Kim. Their last ice show was in Los Angeles in 2010.

The 32-year-old American figure skating legend works mostly as a sports diplomat.

Kwan was positive about the idea of an ice show with the 22-year-old Kim, but admitted she was concerned about her “rusty” skating form.

“We have not completed plans for closing ceremonies. But I have enjoyed performing with Yuna. I hope to do it again,” Kwan said. “I have to be honest, I have not skated since the last ice show with Kim. My blade is rusty. You take some time off from the ice, then triple jumps don’t come very easy.”

Originally Posted by RunnersHigh
Yuna and Michell Kwan interview on the joint ice show proposed by Kwan yesterday for the closing ceremony of PyeongChang 2013 Special Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owMDE5z0b80

You can hear Kwan's after Yuna.

The news came up in Yuna's news thread on fsu. The reunion of two most wonderful ambassadors for the sport, Kween and Queen!

Kwan advises Kim to follow her heart

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2012/06/178_113602.html

Two-time Olympic figure skating medalist Michelle Kwan, known to be Kim Yu-na’s role model, has advised Kim to find her passion in life.

“I think she is figuring out her path as she spends time in school and learns from her colleagues and friends. She might find other interests outside of skating if she hasn’t already,” Kwan said Friday in an interview with The Korea Times. “It’s going to be difficult. But you have to do something that you love doing.”

The board member of the 2013 PyeongChang Special Olympics held media interviews at Grand Hilton Hotel in Seoul, before she wrapped up her five-day visit. At the interview, the 31-year-old encouraged Kim to move forward with the lessons that she surely learned from the sport: “Hard work, dedication, discipline, falling and getting back up.”

“She needs to figure out what she wants to do. It does help to reach out to people who need help. For example, what she is doing with this Special Olympics. I saw her picture with Ban Ki-moon. I’m sure she is involved and maybe she will get more involved when she has more time with the U.N. I think she’s on her way,” Kwan said.” “Perhaps if she continues her schooling maybe she can become Dr. Kim in the future.”

When asked about the relationship she has developed with Kim, Kwan said the first encounter was in a bathroom 12 years ago as the dumbfounded young skater was surprised to see the superstar at that time. “Over the years, I’ve gotten to know her more than that,” Kwan said. “(As) a close friend, if she needs me, I can help her.”

America’s most decorated figure skater said challenges made her stronger and taught her a great deal of valuable life lessons, pointing out that overcoming challenges is what fascinates people about the Special Olympics.

“Once you understand the spirit of the Special Olympics, it is really empowering,” Kwan said. “And the athletes, when you understand and learn that they have overcome many obstacles such as prejudice, poverty, and sometimes physical handicaps,” Kwan said. “They really change the way I see the world.”

Not a single word of her I would ditch in this article. What an awesomeness and a class this woman is!

A wonderful article! Michelle has become such an impressive woman. Much as I admire her athletic career, I'm even happier to see that her skating is just a part of a larger life. It may even turn out not to be the most significant thing she ever does.

Krislite

Medalist
Apparently, Yuna will have a press conference tomorrow to announce her future in competitive skating, i.e., she'll either announce retirement or continue competing. No official media sources yet, but it's coming directly from Korea, so it should be forthcoming shortly.

Krislite

Medalist
It's official. Yuna will return, and she will compete in Sochi!!!

Still waiting word on other competitions...

deedee1

Record Breaker
It's official. Yuna will return, and she will compete in Sochi!!!

Still waiting word on other competitions...

:eek: WOW! What a news indeed if it's true! :cool:
This off season is full of surprises and never lets any skating fans in the worlds get bored! :biggrin:

Krislite

Medalist
:eek: WOW! What a news indeed if it's true! :cool:
This off season is full of surprises and never lets any skating fans in the worlds get bored! :biggrin:

It's true, the press conference was aired live in Korea (of course). I'm still waiting for the English Korean press to release the official statement before I post the "news" in a separate thread.

I'm shocked, astonished, and shocked. My mind was fine and made peace with her retirement a couple of months ago, and not this!!!!!!!!! I don't even know how I feel!

deedee1

Record Breaker
It's true, the press conference was aired live in Korea (of course). I'm still waiting for the English Korean press to release the official statement before I post the "news" in a separate thread.

Thanks a lot, Krislite!

And please do so! Those who live in North America are probably still sleeping now. I am sure they are gonna surprise to see a thread of YuNa's dropping-bombshell-like statement! :thumbsup::biggrin:

A bombshell indeed. The news is now posted on a separate thread; thanks for that.

Wow, wow, wow. This is going to be some thrilling pre-Olympics season. I foresee that we at GS will be joining one another at computer screen for Sochi. Heck, some of us (depending on time zone) will be pulling all-nighters at this year's Worlds.

This is great news for skating, for fans, and for Korea. It's even great news for her competitors, because it brings attention to the discipline, and to each of them.

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna's next All That Skate show has been announced, will be on Aug 24-26. Yagudin and Rochette, among others, will be joining the line-up. :)

Yuna will have a new exhibition program for the show.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Entire cast for All That Skate Summer 2012 has been announced

Entire cast for All That Skate Summer 2012, Fri Aug 24 - Sun Aug 26, Olympic Gymnasium Stadium in Seoul:

• Kim
  • Rochette
  • Korpi
  • Lepisto
  • Yagudin
  • Chan
  • Lambiel
  • Joubert
  • Tatiana Totmianina/Maxim Marinin
  • Savchenko/Szolkowy
  • Fiona Zaldua/Dmitry Sukhanov
(No ice dancers in the cast)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hmmmm ... I don't know whether ATS Summer cast deserves a separate thread, l'etoile.

But I will make a reference to it in the "ice shows" thread.

Am trying to follow the GS guidelines against cross-posting. ;)

3Lz3T

Spectator
Yuna will perform el tango de Roxanne at ATS!

My, oh my. Yuna's agency just announced that Yuna will be performing the legendary el tango de roxanne at ATS summer 2012. My heart just skipped a beat when i first read the article. same choreography but a new costume :love: so looking forward to it!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim’s Program for Ice Show in August – ‘El Tango de Roxanne’

Yuna Kim said “I know that there are many people who love ‘El Tango de Roxanne’ and added, “After announcing my challenge for the 2014 Sochi Olympics, I chose my senior debut program ‘El Tango de Roxanne’ with the intention of starting again from the start having a new goal. Yuna Kim said “It will be very appreciating if the fans enjoy the show and encourage me in the situation of starting again.”

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
El Tango de Roxanne is one of my favorite programs from Yuna. Can't wait to see a video of this number, I bet she will
be fabulous!