Yuna Kim | Page 72 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

janetfan

Match Penalty
YuNa probably isn't going to Oppegard for a critique of her jumps. Peter was a pair skater, and he ........ never were known for jumps. He has produced some interesting choreography, though, from time to time.

I thought you were talking about another coach who was formerly a Pairs skater - Tatiana Tarasova.........:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, I was using "fanboyism" as a blanket term. Fangirls was implied, or so I thought. Nevermind-

How about this: From the fanaticism and cheerleading going on in these threads, they can create their own scene ;)

'cause you know that's what's happening ;) heck, they can probably do a private show just for interested GS members :laugh:

Last edited:
It's okay, R.D.; I knew what you meant. And it would be great if we fanfolk (I once heard that in some circles, the plural of "fan" is "fen") could spark a new pro scene. We've certainly proved that we are well-informed and devoted! I remind you that Star Trek was dead as a doornail, and then it was revived purely by fannish efforts...and now it's a franchise not far behind Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. So you may be on to something.

Afterthought: If Johnny Weir is such a fan of Lady Gaga, maybe she can return the favor and tell her fans (sorry, fen) about skating. That would add a lot of devotees to the mix. (As long as they don't expect all the performers to wear feathers...or meat!)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
About the Holy Alliance, Kwan and Kim, if they had the inclination they could take over the US ice show scene.

If only the US ice show scene existed for them to take over. :cry:

Speaking of alliances - anyone get the feeling this may have been decided a few months ago?
No one is surprised that Yuna trains at The Kwan family rink or that Karen's husband is her new coach.

Just wondering if after winning the OGM Yuna's inner circle decided LA was a better place to be in the future.

Though actually, "fan" is an abreviation of "fanatic".

...yes, but in the fanworld (sci-fi, Star Wars, speakers of Elvish and Klingon, people who sew elaborate costumes for DragonCon, and so on), it's also the singular of "fen." I speak from glorious experience.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Speaking of alliances - anyone get the feeling this may have been decided a few months ago?
No one is surprised that Yuna trains at The Kwan family rink or that Karen's husband is her new coach.

Just wondering if after winning the OGM Yuna's inner circle decided LA was a better place to be in the future.

Yes, I have always thought that once Yuna won the OGM, she and her Team were going to refocus on developing her skating via professional shows and business ventures rather than competitive skating. It's the only thing that makes sense--she's already won all the Big Prizes and in her shoes, I'd be cashing in also. It also makes sense to relocate to LA if you want to be in proximity to the biggest sports and entertainment power players and producers on the planet. She and her management probably have been in discussions on a variety of ventures that we have yet to hear about. I can completely understand Team YNK not wanting to go about babbling all the possible details until the ink on the deals was dry. I also think that even by late spring or early summer, she may have been undecided as to how she was going to deal with coaching situation. Not because Orser failed her or any of that nonsense about Japanese skaters, but because a committed relocation to LA pretty much forecloses on easily keeping a Toronto-based coach. And during this time period, there was silence and no communication from Team Kim...which eventually got interpreted the wrong way by many. In retrospect, perhaps at least with Brian, they could and should have played this differently, but too late now.

I do not believe we will see YNK skate competively as an eligible skater again, not even at next year's Worlds. I think her interests lie elsewhere now, and more power to her. I suspect Team Kim expected that by early or mid-summer, she could break silence, formally wind things up with him without rancor, and move on. Except getting everything legally and financially in place for her new ventures probably took longer than expected and Orser had to push due to his need to get his fall coaching schedule settled for all his skaters. Followed by well...we all know this part.

I'm not surprised by the selection of Oppegard from among the choices in the LA area. No question that the Kwan connection tipped things in his favor. However, I have a gut feeling that tapping him for new coach was not part of a specific original plan hatched back in the spring, but rather was something more recently identified and decided, maybe since the Korea ATS show in July.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If so, it's a shame she and Orser couldn't have parted on more amicable terms...

cosmos

On the Ice
Yes, I have always thought that once Yuna won the OGM, she and her Team were going to refocus on developing her skating via professional shows and business ventures rather than competitive skating. It's the only thing that makes sense--she's already won all the Big Prizes and in her shoes, I'd be cashing in also. It also makes sense to relocate to LA if you want to be in proximity to the biggest sports and entertainment power players and producers on the planet. She and her management probably have been in discussions on a variety of ventures that we have yet to hear about. I can completely understand Team YNK not wanting to go about babbling all the possible details until the ink on the deals was dry. I also think that even by late spring or early summer, she may have been undecided as to how she was going to deal with coaching situation. Not because Orser failed her or any of that nonsense about Japanese skaters, but because a committed relocation to LA pretty much forecloses on easily keeping a Toronto-based coach. And during this time period, there was silence and no communication from Team Kim...which eventually got interpreted the wrong way by many. In retrospect, perhaps at least with Brian, they could and should have played this differently, but too late now.

I do not believe we will see YNK skate competively as an eligible skater again, not even at next year's Worlds. I think her interests lie elsewhere now, and more power to her. I suspect Team Kim expected that by early or mid-summer, she could break silence, formally wind things up with him without rancor, and move on. Except getting everything legally and financially in place for her new ventures probably took longer than expected and Orser had to push due to his need to get his fall coaching schedule settled for all his skaters. Followed by well...we all know this part.

I'm not surprised by the selection of Oppegard from among the choices in the LA area. No question that the Kwan connection tipped things in his favor. However, I have a gut feeling that tapping him for new coach was not part of a specific original plan hatched back in the spring, but rather was something more recently identified and decided, maybe since the Korea ATS show in July.

Disagree. If YuNa thought so, why didn't she choose the easiest solution?: declare retirement and leave Orser and then relocate to LA.

If YuNa has no plan to compete in the Worlds, why does she need a new coach?

I think she will go to Tokyo Worlds. Anyway, we will see what happens.

Last edited:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yuna has repeatedly said in public that she will be training and focusing on the 2011 Worlds. I don't see her backing away from that promise.

brownfox

On the Ice
Disagree. If YuNa thought so, why didn't she choose the easiest solution?: declare retirement and leave Orser and then relocate to LA.

If YuNa has no plan to compete in the Worlds, why does she need a new coach?

I think she will go to Tokyo Worlds. Anyway, we will see what happens.

Or practicing 3/3!!!! Or maybe Aunt Joyce was just messing around. LOL.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:laugh:

We haven't had this much excitement since Lebron James orchestrated an hour long TV program to announce where he would play basketball next year. :cool:

just when I'd forgotten about that stupid affair. Seriously why bring him up again??? LOL

"Fan," (plural, "fen") > Latin fanaticus, > L. fanum, "temple": a person driven into an insane frenzy by a god. – or, in this case, by a pair of goddesses.

:cheer: :biggrin:

breeze

Rinkside
Entire Post

I think your line of thought in itself makes quite a bit of sense. I agree that moving to LA was decided pretty quickly after the split news came out, so it might have been under consideration for a while before that. And I'm curious why LA? She picked the place first and then a coach. And I wonder if ATS really has some ventures planned for Yuna to take part in. AFAIK, the only such thing until now was the ice shows, and she said in an interview after ATS LA (or at the press conference with her new coach, I'm not sure) that she doesn't have any plan for ice shows right now. Do you have any ideas what ventures she and ATS might be investing time/money in?

And I would like to point out (respectfully) that some part of your post is just speculation, and ignoring some information we got from various interviews. For example, team Yuna already told Brian after WC that he doesn't have to save a time slot in his coaching schedule for Yuna during fall, so there was no need for him to push for that reason. And he himself said in an interview after the Olympics that he wishes Yuna continues to compete but the decision should be totally up to her and she should spend enough time to figure out what she really wants.

And as other posters already mentioned, Yuna repeatedly said in public that she plans to compete at Tokyo World. Of course plan can always change, but if Yuna could drag herself to WC 2010, I believe she will be able to show up one more time in 2011. (Okay, this is my own wishful speculation - but mine is not as far as saying "Oppegard? Yuna must be considering changing to pair and looking for a partner in LA!", which I read somewhere other than GS. :biggrin: )