Yuna Kim | Page 86 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

These skaters are athletes who work so hard with high cost in every sense and usually make less money than the athletes in other sports do. Long live this highly dangerous, demanding, dirty, political and beautiful sports!
I think Yuna already has had quite a long, splendid career which will be long remembered even if she is never to come back to the competition from now on. Selfish me wants to see her bring 3 loop back to her program and have a bit more (slightly) pointed toe because I am sick of hearing those oexcessive, constant criticism by her naysayers. However, how long she will compete depends soley on her decision. She could do anything that she wants to do and I hope whatever decision it is, she will lead a happy and healthy life.

We who are fans are thrilled with any skating time YuNa gives us, but if she stops tomorrow for any reason, we still have her amazing past achievements. Dick Button always says that a great skater leaves skating better than it was before he/she got there. YuNa certainly fulfills that requirement. She has brought skating to a new level because of the quality of her work, not just her jumps, and she has also changed the skating scene in Asia in general and in Korea in particular. YuNa is so unusual in every way and such a gift to skating that even people who aren't fans of hers ought to see her place in skating history and respect her for it.

Like you, I hope that she leads a happy and healthy life, and like you I selfishly hope that she spends a long time leading that life as a skater!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
We who are fans are thrilled with any skating time YuNa gives us, but if she stops tomorrow for any reason, we still have her amazing past achievements. Dick Button always says that a great skater leaves skating better than it was before he/she got there. YuNa certainly fulfills that requirement. She has brought skating to a new level because of the quality of her work, not just her jumps, and she has also changed the skating scene in Asia in general and in Korea in particular. YuNa is so unusual in every way and such a gift to skating that even people who aren't fans of hers ought to see her place in skating history and respect her for it.

Like you, I hope that she leads a happy and healthy life, and like you I selfishly hope that she spends a long time leading that life as a skater!

Word.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Thank you Nadine for all the links! :) Academy award? :laugh:

Gordeeva's lovely as always! Yukari's Gisele is solid too.

Have you seen Jeremy's Gisele? I love that!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQHqNOAe_Zc(Beautiful music and choreo)

I guess you already know Kurt's Meditation. Just :rofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da8HEwnKBu8&feature=player_embedded

Even if the music cut is from the same music, there could be so many versions with different feelings each according to skaters or choreographers.

As Yuna repeatedly mentioned about expressing the character, I think her Gisele would emphasize more dramatic side, telling a story from the perspective of the protagonist.:rolleye:

Actually, she has sung in many cases but AFAIK, she sang 'on ice' only once in 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwMnEGW9XRQ

She has much talent as an entertainer. Someday she could also develop a comic style in her performance like Kurt! Why not?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the links, folks! Hands down my favorite is Gordeyeva's Gisele. That woman is not subject to the laws of gravity. Her footwork is simply magical. What deliciously subtle choreography; is it Zoueva or Sandra Bezic, I wonder?

I don't always enjoy Galina's choreography, and this Thais of Oksana's is an example. There are a lot of slouching reaches to brace the leg, as if Oksana is trying to take ballet poses that one can't hold on the ice. The effect is almost choppy. I prefer her Swan Lake short program from the Olympics, which is balletic but not in a way that fights with the ice.

In fact, somewhere I remember a side-by-side comparison of Oksana with Caryn Kadavy as both skate to the Massenet, and Kadavy is so much more flowing and musical, though of course she doesn't have Baiul's gift for jumps and for reaching the audience. I can't find any videos of her as a pro, though.

Giselle has so many possibilities for interpretation. I can't wait to see YuNa's. It's a guarantee that (a) it's going to be very different from Katia's and Nikodinov's and (b) it's going to be splendid.

araceli

Spectator
Hey everyone. I'm new to Golden.

I usually just lurk around forums under the veil of anonymity, picking up the latest information & measuring differing opinions, having a laugh or two out of the more ridiculous quibbles, but found this forum irresistible with its well-mannered and knowledgeable members, thought-provoking discussions on the sport and the art, and plethora of well-argued opinions. I'm forever a fan of Grishuk/Platov - they combined everything I love: clean technique, breathtaking speed, transcendence of the moment and complete freedom of motion.

Yu-na Kim is for me in ladies skating what G/P is in ice dance. She combines gorgeous speed (definitely a factor in performance & technical difficulty) with pristine technique. Her toe-pick jumps have spoiled me to see flaws in almost every other lady's jumps. She has yet to gain "complete freedom" & the artistic heights of the Kween - my childhood hero along with Bismarck - but her connection with the music and audience leaves me hopeful. The first half of her Lark Ascending at 2007 Worlds was pure brilliance. Danse Macabre & Roxanne also join that stratospheric placement.

I have high, high hopes for her Arirang program. I almost swooned when I heard Oppegard talk about the choreography after her 3Lz-3T where she skates around with "freedom in her movement." Her Giselle should not disappoint, as I expect it to be more a character portrayal the likes of Scheherazade in dynamic, compressed form, rather than your traditional ballet performance (but gosh Katia blows my mind away. Second Olympia's "laws of gravity" comment.)

Can't wait for Tokyo Worlds! Best wishes for Yu-na!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome, ariceli!

A great first post; post long, post often!

I'm always particularly happy when another fan of any ice dancers show up (the few, the proud)!

the Kween - my childhood hero along with Bismarck
I too am excited about Yu Na's new programs. But while we're waiting (and since this is such an open minded board), would you care to say any more about why you love(d) Bismarck so much? :eek: :biggrin:

Oh, and yes, welcome to GS!

Welcome, Araceli! Great to have you here at GS.

Bismarck? This we have to hear. And of course we want to hear more of your comments about both Kim and Kwan.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Olympia, that's why I'm thrilled Yuna hasn't retired too. I just want to see her skating forever. Her new programs sound so intriguing. It'll be amazing if she performs them perfectly at the world championships, her first time out with them. Then again, that's pretty much exactly what she did at TEB last year.

That's what's so awesome/scary. At TEB, she made a major error in the long (no flip) and still posted a 130+ score. Keeping in mind the changes made (no 2A and shorter/less points-giving spiral sequence) that scasore is what a clean Kim could get (clean, not inspired) now. Internationally, no one's come close (Ando's GPF LP was 9 points off)

But more than that.... after the Olympics, the pressure's gone. She doesn't have the weight of a nation on her shoulders like she did in Vancouver. In many respects, the choice of "Arirang" for her free definitely has a valedictory feel, though. I'd be surprised if she stuck it out until Sochi.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
She says she won't debut a new technical element at Worlds, and her technical content will be identical to what we saw at the Olympics. So I'm guessing there won't be a 3loop? I wonder what her FS jump layout will be with the new rules in effect (only 2 double axels counted in the FS). At the Olympics, she did 3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2axel/2toe/2loop, 2axel/3toe, 3salchow*, 3lutz* and 2axel* (* being elements done after the halfway mark with the 10% bonus. The 2axel/3toe is supposed to be after the halfway mark, but for whatever reason it wasn't counted as such at the Olympics).

Keeping things as close as possible:
3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2lutz/2toe/2loop, 2axel/3toe*, 3salchow*, 3lutz*, 2axel* That change costs her 1.2 points compared to last season's layout, sort of (there's no direct comparison to last season since the 2axel has been decreased in value while the 2lutz has been increased).

Diluting the difficulty of the combos:
3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2axel/2toe/2loop, 2axel/2toe*, 3salchow*, 3lutz*, 3toe* That costs her 2.5 points compared to last season's layout.

Repeat 3flip instead of 3toe, which may not be doable as Yu Na's 3flip hasn't been that reliable last season, and she may not want to risk putting 2 in the FS:
3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2axel/2toe/2loop, 2axel*, 3salchow*, 3lutz*, 3flip/2toe* This would gain her 2.2 points compared to last season's layout.

In fact, has she ever done an FS with two 3flips and two 3lutzes? I don't think she has. So the last one seems unlikely. I'm almost certain that she'd want to keep her 3lutz/3toe and 2axel/3toe. Which means layout 1's mix of jumps is the most likely. Anybody else want to hazard a guess?

cooper

Medalist
She says she won't debut a new technical element at Worlds, and her technical content will be identical to what we saw at the Olympics. So I'm guessing there won't be a 3loop? I wonder what her FS jump layout will be with the new rules in effect (only 2 double axels counted in the FS). At the Olympics, she did 3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2axel/2toe/2loop, 2axel/3toe, 3salchow*, 3lutz* and 2axel* (* being elements done after the halfway mark with the 10% bonus. The 2axel/3toe is supposed to be after the halfway mark, but for whatever reason it wasn't counted as such at the Olympics).

Keeping things as close as possible:
3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2lutz/2toe/2loop, 2axel/3toe*, 3salchow*, 3lutz*, 2axel* That change costs her 1.2 points compared to last season's layout, sort of (there's no direct comparison to last season since the 2axel has been decreased in value while the 2lutz has been increased).

Diluting the difficulty of the combos:
3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2axel/2toe/2loop, 2axel/2toe*, 3salchow*, 3lutz*, 3toe* That costs her 2.5 points compared to last season's layout.

Repeat 3flip instead of 3toe, which may not be doable as Yu Na's 3flip hasn't been that reliable last season, and she may not want to risk putting 2 in the FS:
3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2axel/2toe/2loop, 2axel*, 3salchow*, 3lutz*, 3flip/2toe* This would gain her 2.2 points compared to last season's layout.

In fact, has she ever done an FS with two 3flips and two 3lutzes? I don't think she has. So the last one seems unlikely. I'm almost certain that she'd want to keep her 3lutz/3toe and 2axel/3toe. Which means layout 1's mix of jumps is the most likely. Anybody else want to hazard a guess?

According to the other forum, someone saw her LP, and she was doing 3Lz-3T, 2A-3T, and 3S-2T(2L?). Maybe another 3 lutz, 3 flip, 3S. :think:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe she does 3lz and 3s twice? So her layout could be:
3lz-3t, 3f, 3s-2t-2lo, 2a-2t*, 3lz*, 3s*, 2a*

If she does 2 combos in the bonus that could make up for the loss of points she'd have otherwise due to the new rules. Also, I feel like Yuna has not done a solo 3t in a very long time, she always does it in combination with 3f, 3lz, 2a. I've actually heard she has trouble with the solo 3t. It seemed like she was doing 3s a lot in her ex programs last spring, and it was starting to look better, so I wouldn't be surprised if she did two of them in her FS.

Krislite

Medalist
Maybe she does 3lz and 3s twice? So her layout could be:
3lz-3t, 3f, 3s-2t-2lo, 2a-2t*, 3lz*, 3s*, 2a*

If she does 2 combos in the bonus that could make up for the loss of points she'd have otherwise due to the new rules. Also, I feel like Yuna has not done a solo 3t in a very long time, she always does it in combination with 3f, 3lz, 2a. I've actually heard she has trouble with the solo 3t. It seemed like she was doing 3s a lot in her ex programs last spring, and it was starting to look better, so I wouldn't be surprised if she did two of them in her FS.

I don't think she's ever done a solo 3T in competition since her novice years, so a solo 3T would be too risky. (She'd probably have better luck with a solo 3L, which she was at least practicing right up to the Olympics.)

I think the best strategy would be to bring at least one of the combos into the second half, preferably two. So...

3Lz+3T
2A
3F
-----
2A+2T+2L
3S+2T
3Lz
3S

This maximizes her points. Unfortunately, she gives up her wonderful 2A+3T combo. It's hard to say how she could keep it. Maybe

3Lz+3T
2A
3F
-----
2A+3T
2Lz+2T+2L
3Lz
3S

This second layout gives her the bigger advantage, I think, in terms of bonus points.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Practically without jumps but beautiful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLlI97K5k4A&feature=related

It shows how much she's advanced from the early prime years in terms of polish, line, and back flexibility: look, for instance at that Ina Bauer. And her footwork section is so beautiful and expressive of the music. I can't wait to see what she does with "Arirang"!
Thank you, Olympia...Very nice video...she is a ROYAL PRINCESS in that performance !

She was a CINDERRELLA when...performed this at the age of 16.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sa3x_y-MSQ

I don't think we'll find another Yu-Na.