Yuna Kim | Page 132 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Great fancams by os168 which really reveal Yuna's coverage and speed across the ice: SP and LP

What do you guys think she could get better at later in the season, ultimately, by Worlds?

- I think the spiral was really off the balance, giving it a bad positioning and unsteady edge in all that.
- She stretches much better in her layback spins WOW.
- One more thing I've positively noticed is that she now puts some more transitions going into solo flip and lutz, a little step into flip like SP and back spiral into lutz-which she didn't do even in her Gershwin LP, the one considered as the most difficult program. So that makes 3lz-3t only jumping pass that she doesn't give extra touch.
- What about step sequences? I'd say they were unusual ones coming from Yuna, in both good ways and bad ways. There were some interesting moves, flowing into both directions with speed, and it showed that she was using her power and speed to better utilize her edges. But, they seemed a bit slower and less dynamic from her standards and she had some mishaps.

Last edited:

naan

Rinkside
Great fancams by os168 which really reveal Yuna's coverage and speed across the ice: SP and LP

What do you guys think she could get better at later in the season, ultimately, by Worlds?

- I think the spiral was really off the balance, giving it a bad positioning and unsteady edge in all that.
- She stretches much better in her layback spins WOW.
- One more thing I've positively noticed is that she now puts some more transitions going into solo flip and lutz, a little step into flip like SP and back spiral into lutz-which she didn't do even in her Gershwin LP, the one considered as the most difficult program. So that makes 3lz-3t only jumping pass that she doesn't give extra touch.
- What about step sequences? I'd say they were unusual ones coming from Yuna, in both good ways and bad ways. There were some interesting moves, flowing into both directions with speed, and it showed that she was using her power and speed to better utilize her edges. But, they seemed a bit slower and less dynamic from her standards and she had some mishaps.
- Yeah, her spiral was not good, slower and less stretched than before
- I noticed that her lackback position has improved! Finally!! Her new spins were wonderful :clap:
- Agree that she put some more transitions going into 3F and 3Lz! Hope judges more reward her effort, they all deserve huge GOE!
- As for the steps, I liked her footwork in LP. Not fast or dynamic, but it suits the music very well. Her movements are in the great harmony with the music. Didn't like the step sequence in SP, though. It's longer than her usual footwork, but not that interesting, IMO. She stumbled and wobbled several times. I hope Daivd will rework and polish the steps before Worlds.
- There is some room for improvement and work to be done, but her new programs are great! Her LP can be a masterpiece! ;)

venlac

On the Ice
Six questions leading up to Sochi 2014

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/six-questions-leading-up-to-sochi-2014/related/
What about Yuna Kim?
The South Korean star is also looking to repeat, and looked great in Germany back in December, winning gold at her first event in more than eighteen months. She should lock up a spot in Sochi at worlds in March, and definitely looks to shine on the ice again, but Americans Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold, who were both impressive at U.S. nationals last month, might have something to say about that.

sochi 2014:eek:ne year out
36~39 yuna kim (bgm. One of the greatest Olympic performances I have ever seen!!!)

sask8

Rinkside
About the NBC Sports talk article "Six Questions Leading Up To Sochi," and since this is a thread about Yuna Kim, I'll stick to that question (but other answers to these six questions are horrific, specifically on Lysacek's ability to repeat...Kitchen, the author of the article, seems to have no idea about figure skating). Back to Kim...and I preface with I love Kim and her skating...but 1.) I'm not sure he watched US Nationals but "impressive" does not seem like the right word for Wagner and Gold's performances at nationals. Portions of their nationals performances were impressive but both had an 'up-and-down' nationals; 2.) And more than just Wagner and Gold will have something to say about Kim repeating as Olympic champion...Not only do Wagner and Gold have to compete against a talented US "Ladies" field in the next nationals, but who ever comes out of nationals will be facing a strong contingent from Japan, the Russians, and Italy's Kostner, and probably Osmond from Canada, which means Kim will be facing these skaters as well (obviously). Any skating fan knows this, so it's baffling this author had nothing to say about Kim's possibilty of a repeat in relation to these other great international talents, who arguably (and I use arguably because this is a debate in the coming months) have better chances of un-seeding Kim than either Wagner or Gold... ...major sports networks need to desperately improve their figure skating coverage. P.S. The Lysacek analysis is still dumb founding :scratch::confused:

verysmuchso

On the Ice
I think Yuna should change her costume for Vampire's Kiss; it looks a bit too pretty and non-descript, although the V-shape in red is supposed to be blood and all. Vampire themes always have a sexual subtext, and I wish Yuna could make such subtext more obvious. As for Les Miserables, my suggestion for improvement would be to go for a crescendo effect or emphasize the contrast between lyrical passages and epic outbursts. As the program is now, it reminds me a bit of Asada's Bells of Moscow; flailing arms throughout the program. But, Worlds are just weeks away.... Hope Yuna is communicating with David Wilson to iron out any issues, although they probably can't communicate with each other as frequently as when she was in Canada.

MiRé

Match Penalty
actually, Yuna's concept of having blue and red color as her dress is because she wanted to exactly portray the movie Kiss of the Vampire. I remember reading an article saying
she purposely chose that color to show the black and white image of the original film. (since it was an old movie, it was b/w). Also, she wouldn't go near sexual subtext since Korea is still very conservative, and it would create many anti-yuna fans just because she looks too "sexy"

Robeye

Final Flight
actually, Yuna's concept of having blue and red color as her dress is because she wanted to exactly portray the movie Kiss of the Vampire. I remember reading an article saying
she purposely chose that color to show the black and white image of the original film. (since it was an old movie, it was b/w). Also, she wouldn't go near sexual subtext since Korea is still very conservative, and it would create many anti-yuna fans just because she looks too "sexy"
I've got to disagree with this part. Korea is a pretty sophisticated society, when it comes to media and entertainment (just look at the themes and subjects for its movies and TV shows).

And come on, fuggedabout the subtext, the Bond Girl SP had plenty of sexual text :laugh:.