Yuna Kim | Page 127 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

L

lowtherlore

Yu-Na started 4-week teaching internship today at Jinseon Women’s High in Seoul (she’s a PE major senior at Korea Univ).

The school allowed the reporters to come in for 20 minutes to her first class with the students. Her first lecture topic was, of course, figure skating. She said, after the lecture the students should be able to: (1) describe figure skating as an athletic discipline; (2) explain how figure skating competition is scored; (3) tell the function of each part of a skate blade; (4) tell the six jumps in figure skating. She also said that as a practicing athlete she was not that familiar with the theory part of the sport, and that she has learned some herself preparing for the class. :)

Photos: http://sports.media.daum.net/general/gallery/0508kimyuna/index.html#20120508114613274

L

lowtherlore

^ Yeah, that's pretty much how it is when I give a lecture on calculus -- students hanging out the windows shouting my name, a million flash bulbs going off -- you get used to it. :rofl:

Yuna Kim school in Republic of South Sudan

From Yuna news update thread on FSU, c/o Runnershigh

Yuna Kim school in Republic of South Sudan.

Yesterday, Jun 2, Yuna visited Salecio Center in Singil-dong, Seoul and donated 70 million won (about $60,000 as much money to build a school) to join the effort of it's on going program to build 100 small schools at rural communities in Republic of South Sudan.

Yuna: "Last year, I went to Togo to host PyeongChang Winter Olympics and I was very impressed in Africa. Father, I'd like to be of help, even if it's only in a small way."

Vincenzo Donati, back to Korea last month for fund raise, told Yuna "One of school have a name after you and hope you to visit there when children are free from all anxiety and study hard."

The Father also played "Danube Waltz" on the accordion and gave a picture of African local product to Yuna to return the courtesy.

According to the Salecio Center, this meeting began with a letter sent for her about ten days ago, May 21. Vincenzo Donati sent letters introducing his fund-raise activities and appealing for support to some persons in his minds and Yuna actively replied to the letter.

Now this, is really cool and so inspiring:thumbsup:

^ The Republic of South Sudan is the world's newest nation (July 9, 2011) and one of the poorest. It has been decimated by fifty years of almost constant civil war resulting in 2 million people killed and twice that many displaced as refugees.This new nation suffers from the highest female illiteracy rate in the world (85%) and the greatest infant and maternal mortality rates.

The official language is English, but more than 80 indigenous languages are spoken. One of the greatest needs is for English language teachers and English-speaking teachers in technical fields.

Yu-ma Kim did not have to give a dime to help these people half a world away.

But she did.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yu-Na is blessed and rich and her Catholic religion alone plus culture and likely her parents teach her to give back. I hope Yuna decides to give the proceeds of beer commercial to any drug/alcohol rehabs doing great work, if this is a problem in S. Korea. American ones are very underfunded, unless one is rich. Thank you Yu-Na for being an example to other millionaires. I am sure Yu-Na derives great satisfaction from her charities and works for good. Everyone who has extra and lots of it can sit on it, but that is a selfish, useless life. Yu-Na takes her relgion, I believe seriously, and follows the teachings of Jesus.

I used to read that Angelina Jolie would donate a million per picture to some charity usually in Africa. I hope she still does. Yu-Na if you read the baords, ignore the people who criticize you in S. Korea, and donate $$ from the beer ad. It shuts people up and they respect you more. I'll bet Yuna reads fan boards or her PR people do. We have not forgotten you in America and we never will. So many of us respect you most for your charitable nature and volunteerism. The skating changes and everyone retires. But I will remember you for your good works. I pray Yu-Na grows into an Asian Mother Theresa, changing life in her chosen countries. S. Korea is rather affluent I believe, but Yu-Na can do great things with her beauty, celebrity, money. I love to hear this. It gives people HOPE and sets example for rich who live with golden faucets (Donald Trump!) Go Yu-NA!

Last edited:
Wow, skateluvr, I'm moved to tears at your post.:thumbsup: You couldn't have said it better about Yuna's outside skating works, her influence, and possibilities. I'll repeat, Go Yu-Na! :clap:

I agree. It's wonderful when you see someone of privilege who's able to pay attention and respond to the needs of others. And when someone wakes up to the situation this young, it's really phenomenal. YuNa is aware of the difference she can make both by direct action and by inspiring others to join in and do what they can.