Yuna Kim | Page 77 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

csunny7

Rinkside

Thank you for the links. Yuna looks so beautiful and lovely! :love:
She is very stylish as well.
I'm so glad Yuna looks so happier and more comfortable in recent photos.

That said, nowadays I watch Yuna's flawless fantastic programs just to feel the absolute beauty and grace of skating. I can't help it. I miss Queen Yuna on the ice so much. Figure Skating world needs Yuna Kim!

Last edited:

samsarah

Rinkside
Yuna did say that she wanted to try "Spanish" style music back in May, before everyone else also started choosing tango/latin music for SP.

I personally think she will still go for that style - because, simply, no one can do it better.

Yeah, do you remember the dubut of Yuna's "El Tango de Roxanne" in 2006 SC?
Not only was it a magical performance but she scored 1st in the entire competition after performing first in the 1st group.. incredible talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6TeOskQFS28

Figure88

On the Ice
Yuna did say that she wanted to try "Spanish" style music back in May, before everyone else also started choosing tango/latin music for SP.

I personally think she will still go for that style - because, simply, no one can do it better.

I think a latin/Spanish type program would be a great fit for Yuna. There are a lot of skaters selecting the genre this season, but if the interpretation is done right, the judges seem to be willing to shower the skater with huge points---the highest scoring programs so far this season seem to be latin/Spanish type programs---e.g., Takahashi’s SP/LP, Kostner’s SP, Abbott’s SP etc.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think a latin/Spanish type program would be a great fit for Yuna. There are a lot of skaters selecting the genre this season, but if the interpretation is done right, the judges seem to be willing to shower the skater with huge points---the highest scoring programs so far this season seem to be latin/Spanish type programs---e.g., Takahashi’s SP/LP, Kostner’s SP, Abbott’s SP etc.

yes, i would like to see yu-na do a latin program, but not this year. and please no tangos. I have seen all i can bear and its only been one event so far. and I am a tango aficionado.

lycan

Rinkside
yes, i would like to see yu-na do a latin program, but not this year. and please no tangos. I have seen all i can bear and its only been one event so far. and I am a tango aficionado.

i really hope so.. i don't have a problem w/ tangos but it will be more interesting for yuna to skate with a different theme.. i read on her forum about the hunchback of notre dame/esmeralda speculation for her sp.. :)

If a bunch of posts mysteriously disappear from this thread (including two of my own), don't anyone go crying to the Feedback folder, OK. ;)

sunny0760

On the Ice
IFS Magazine, December, 2010 article.

"Yu-Na Kim Loving Life in LA"
by Susan D. Russell
IFS Magazine page 10, December 2010 issue

Key points:
- The transition to LA has been positive, Yu-Na thought it would be different there, but nothing has changed since well, she still trains a lot. Oh, but it's hotter there.

- Yu-Na said about East West, "We asked Michelle if I could train there, and she said absolutely. It was very easy." Yu-Na is enjoying East-West. She believes that Peter will be a "strong mental support" to her and she has faith in him.

- Peter Oppegard is delighted to be coaching Yu-Na. "I am impressed with Yu-Na's disciplined and dedicated approach to her work. Her demeanor is always respectful and unassuming. Yu-Na is a wonderful addition to the rink. Her presence is an inspiration to the younger athletes that look up to her."

- Michelle Kwan is thrilled that Oppegard is coaching Yu-Na. "Peter is the perfect choice. He really cares about the skater, and I have no doubt that he will think of all the things that are important to making her the best skater she can be."

- Yu-Na mentions having trained with Evan, Mirai, and Caroline (does Mirai train at East West part time? I had no idea.), and talented younger skaters.

- Yu-na says she is not planning on Four Continents 2011 because she doesn't think she will be ready.

- Confirmation that David did both her programs, and confirmation that Worlds 2011 is her goal.

- Yu-Na was "really surprised" as the great reaction of the Los Angeles audience for ATS LA, because she wasn't sure how they would react, and they're usually calm at competitions. She said all the skaters felt that way about the reaction, and everyone had fun.

And the magazine has many pics taken during ATS LA :
http://blog.naver.com/raulgb/115747438

sunny0760

On the Ice
Wonder if many Yuna fans already know this but I never knew that Yuna wanted to be a singer, an Olympic championa and a MATHEMATICIAN when she was 14.
Sep. 10th, 2004 articel(I was not interested in this promising junior skater then and most Koreans didn't know her so I have never read this articel until yesterday) :
http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=107&oid=032&aid=0000084272

Sorry I cannot translate this article but it is so, so interesting.

- Solving equations were so much fun to her. Her favorite subject was mathematics because it was most 'neat.' She could not go to school everyday because she always had to train until midnight but she wanted to study well and actually studied well. She hit the books almost all the time when she was not training. She got the second best grades in her class!

- Fun loving girl who wanted to play and to eat some snacks like pizza with friends but those small desires did not always come true.

- She confessed that whenever she felt skating was too much for her, she went to her mom to protest, crying. "I hate myself being such a crybaby. Feel sorry for hardworking mom. But if I continue to win like this time(GPS junior), she will forget her being heartbroken."

- The article points out that Yuna's main strength is jumps and weaknesses are (lack of) flexibility and facial expression. "(laughing) I am not like a princess so I cannot make an expression pretending to be pretty."

parma

On the Ice
We are living in a world where each individual pretty much specializes in one area; only if a person is as good at his/her area as the way Yuna is good at skating, no matter what field the person is in.