Yuna Kim | Page 122 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Nope. I think it's obvious that I'm not saying that at all. I'm addressing the mindless Korean nationalists here. If Ohno wasn't who he was, such Koreans wouldn't be holding such a stupid grudge. Because let's get real here, Koreans don't really care about short track skating either.

This is similar to saying 'I am an American figure fan and so know them well. American figure fans don't really care about Kwan. Trust me.'

(Yes, because this is a Yuna thread...)
Yuna cheering for the Korean short track team in Vancouver.
http://pds.joinsmsn.com/news/compon...htm_201002271235220201000002010400f6a-001.jpg
http://imgnews.naver.com/image/001/2010/02/27/PYH2010022701820001300_P2.jpg

Last edited:

Figga

Rinkside
OK so I lied. This will be my final thoughts on this, I promise. :)

lowtherlore, I don't even know why I have to repeat this but please get this through your head. Nowhere have I said that only Koreans are overly nationalistic. Sorry for not including that in my original but that's such an obvious statement that I didn't feel the need to stick it in there as some sort of disclaimer. And sorry to break it to you, but I am Korean. I just have a different point of view than yours. And I'm hardly the only one. Apparently, we're just not as vocal as you.

Last edited:
To expand my view on nationalism in Japan, can you imagine the international outcry and condemnation Germans would face if their leaders and public pay tributes to the tombs of Nazi war criminals? If that happen, they would have no business in participating in international sporting events, let alone hosting them.

I don't want to get involved in this particular argument, but something like this actually happened in the 1980s. When Reagan was the U.S. President, he went to Germany for an economic summit and arranged to visit a cemetery at Bitburg, where the assumption that both American and German soldiers were buried. He would be accompanied by German chancellor Helmut Kohl. It turned out that no American soldiers were buried there, but members of the Waffen SS were. Talk about an uproar! Everyone, even Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel, weighed in, begging the President not to go there. I remember feeling extremely agitated that such a thing could occur and that Reagan didn't seem concerned about the symbolic effect of his visit. It was a tremendous tangle for quite a while, and I'm sure some people never forgave Reagan for making such a plan.

I like to hope that someday, we'll be able to bridge such gaps in the world, not forgetting history but rising above it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tonichelle, I'll try to keep in mind what you say about mushing! I love the idea of it but had no idea it was as rough to watch as that. You have correctly pegged me as a chicken. I'll depend on your reports about the exploits of the mushers and the dogs rather than watching firsthand.

I was just scaring you - by about the fourth day of the race the crashes have ended and it's just cold and wind and sleep depravation ;) I'll tell you when to hide your eyes and when it's safe to looka gain lol

Thanks, Tonichelle! I'll cover my eyes when instructed by you. (>giggle<)

My respect for the dogs and the mushers is boundless. I got to edit an article for kids about the original trek to Nome in 1925 with the serum, which inspired the Iditarod, and I still get gooseflesh when I think about those men and their dogs, setting off in temperatures of forty below, in the dark, over hundreds of miles of ice--in January! I know I tend to romanticize things (which is why I'm a skating fan). But this sport deserves to be romanticized. I gather that the mushers tend to live very down-to-earth lives, mostly in out-of-the-way locales in Alaska and Minnesota and such, and they're certainly not in it for the money. It's great to know there's a knowledgeable musher fan in the GS community.

Last edited:

fscric

On the Ice
Is Kwangjuyo a brand name of pottery in Korea? Yuna's make up is very different from the other Korean celebrities.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I like Yuna with far less makeup. Her innocence is lovely. I do not see a covergirl, I see a pretty skater who does not seem comfy posing like, well Sasha, for example. I wonder who else the Koreans adore as a real Korean top model? Photos Yuna fans? Yuna is at her prettiest when skating something that makes her feel good. I like her skating face shots far better. But she is a brand and the money is there to be made. I think I'll look for Korea's top pro model, out of curiosity.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yu-Na looks amazing. Also, I need that leather coat in my life right now (hopefully those fuzzy sleeves are detachable).

It'll be awesome if Yu-Na lands a Korean Vogue cover--the styling and conceptualization of Korean Vogue's covers is one of the best of all the international Vogues.

prettykeys

Medalist
I like Yuna with far less makeup. Her innocence is lovely. I do not see a covergirl, I see a pretty skater who does not seem comfy posing like, well Sasha, for example. I wonder who else the Koreans adore as a real Korean top model? Photos Yuna fans? Yuna is at her prettiest when skating something that makes her feel good. I like her skating face shots far better. But she is a brand and the money is there to be made.
I agree. I mean, she can be a covergirl, but I prefer spirited smiling covergirl to serious angrymodelface covergirl. :cry: