Yuna Kim | Page 119 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

parma

On the Ice
i have no doubt she could get into physical shape easily, she looks very fit and has boundless talent with her jumps. i think the better question is if she can find the motivation to compete at peak level for this season.

Good point. she has some difficult decision making ahead of her. She never once skipped an entire season before, and while I sense that she is leaning toward doing so, no one knows what implication it would entail in terms of maintaining her skills as well as her presence in Korea, e.g. ticket sales for her ice shows.

I think she will make a big decision and announce it soon regarding her future career as a competition skater. I mean, she can't put off her Sochi Olympic decision too long. It would be very unwise for her to maintain her "not-sure-in-or-out" status up to the one season before the Olympics and then decides not to go for the Games because the Korean public (and some of her fans also) will not take it well at all. I think this season is perhaps the last season in which she could show herself undetermined about the Olympics and be ok with the public and the media.

Last edited:

cosmos

On the Ice
Good point. she has some difficult decision making ahead of her. She never once skipped an entire season before, and while I sense that she is leaning toward doing so, no one knows what implication it would entail in terms of maintaining her skills as well as her presence in Korea, e.g. ticket sales for her ice shows.

I think she will make a big decision and announce it soon regarding her future career as a competition skater. I mean, she can't put off her Sochi Olympic decision too long. It would be very unwise for her to maintain her "not-sure-in-or-out" status up to the one season before the Olympics and then decides not to go for the Games because the Korean public (and some of her fans also) will not take it well at all. I think this season is perhaps the last season in which she could show herself undetermined about the Olympics and be ok with the public and the media.
If she ever competes in 2012-2013 season, she will definitely go to Sochi.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
If she ever competes in 2012-2013 season, she will definitely go to Sochi.

Is hard to say with these things. You just never know :)

It is very much a battle against herself for now, it may depends very much on how she feels when she's on ice back in LA.

cosmos

On the Ice
Is hard to say with these things. You just never know :)

It is very much a battle against herself for now, it may depends very much on how she feels when she's on ice back in LA.
You are right, I can't be sure. But,..., I mean, why not one more year? YuNa has all good memory of Oly. I think she wants to have it one more, but just she is bored by seasons in between.

parma

On the Ice
You are right, I can't be sure. But,..., I mean, why not one more year?

That's exactly the question all Korean media and the public will ask and even press on if Yuna is still undecided after this season and does the "skip Grand Prix, in for worlds" thing for the 2012-2013 season. Not good for her public relation.

L

lowtherlore

That's exactly the question all Korean media and the public will ask and even press on if Yuna is still undecided after this season and does the "skip Grand Prix, in for worlds" thing for the 2012-2013 season. Not good for her public relation.

I don't think skipping GPs in this year or even next year would hurt her public relation/interest significantly. That kind of things I hope would be the last in the list of her priorities in making the decision. It would be good for her to allow herself some time for some of the things she wants to do.

I agree with cosmos in that, if she does continue and compete in 2012-13 season, I can’t imagine her not eyeing Sochi at that point.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Would it really hurt? I think it would be worse if she did skate but showed up unmotivated and not at the top of her game. She has enough celebrity factor to run on apperances and charity work and shows for at least a year.

parma

On the Ice
Would it really hurt? I think it would be worse if she did skate but showed up unmotivated and not at the top of her game. She has enough celebrity factor to run on apperances and charity work and shows for at least a year.

I agree that there is nothing worse than for her to appear less than fully committed in the competitions because part of her popularity comes from her hard working, dedicated professional image. It would be worse than her not competing at all. She has some important decision to make, and she may not have much time to contemplate. Yuna has not skipped an entire season before, and no one knows how doing so would affect the popularity of her shows next year, for which she seems to have deep passion nowadays.

L

lowtherlore

She would have a month or two to make that decision in LA. I think that’s long enough time.

If she decides to skip the whole season, so be it. Sure, her show or public interest in her might lose some of its steam. But I think it should not be important AT ALL in deciding whether she’s ready to compete or where her heart is. I’m saying this as one of the fans that would love to see her continue competitive skating as long as she can.

Last edited:
All those achievements and she's just 21....wow.

May the past only be prelude for you both on the ice and off, YuNa. Happy birthday!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Happy 21st Birthday my favourite skater :) Go ~~~ :party:

Last edited:

jatale

On the Ice
Personally I do hope that Yuna finds the motivation to seriously continue as a competitive skater. After the 2010 Olympics her competitive skating really suffered I think, her lack of motivation showed in the weaker technical and presentation aspects of her performances IMO. The fact that she still managed to win two WC silver medals just skating at 3/4 power is amazing.

I think Yuna could take the next 9 to 12 months off and still return to competitive skating after that if she wanted to. If she competed in the GP series in 2012 and 2013 with renewed full commitment, I have little doubt she would be a top contender (if not the prohibitive favorite) heading into the 2014 Olympics.