Yuna Kim | Page 100 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

megrin

Rinkside
figurejennah, are you sure that Orser did admit that he was approached by Mao? I read that Orser, wanting to show Yuna that he was loyal to her, said even if Mao had approached to him, he would say no, and Yuna thought he did admit Mao approached him because he said about Mao. There was a rumor that Mao approached to Orser at that time, and that was also from Orser, being afraid of Yuna leaving him and trying to make her want him.

figurejennah

On the Ice
figurejennah, are you sure that Orser did admit that he was approached by Mao? I read that Orser, wanting to show Yuna that he was loyal to her, said even if Mao had approached to him, he would say no, and Yuna thought he did admit Mao approached him because he said about Mao. There was a rumor that Mao approached to Orser at that time, and that was also from Orser, being afraid of Yuna leaving him and trying to make her want him.

I saw this quite a while ago and saved it. (yunaforum?) I couldn't remember where I saw it from, so I just uploaded it.
It does say, "Her agency did inquire about me (and team)..."

http://img638.imageshack.us/i/10381921.jpg/

And this Japanese article says something about Mao (or her agency) approaching Orser, however,
my Japanese is so bad that I cannot understand this article 100% :p Believe me I used to speak Japanese pretty well when I was young... lol
http://img233.imageshack.us/f/maoy.jpg/

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
^Enough with that already. :rolleye: I had to endure the constant fighting last season. Give it a rest!

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Orser sent me(Philip Hersh) and Korean broadcaster SBS a copy of an April 25 email he sent to Kim.

Subject: rumours
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 20:46:04 -0400

Hi Yuna, hope you are well and getting some rest. i am sure you have heard some of the rumours that have been going around about Mao. I just want you to know that I am loyal to you and am always here for you. Her agency did inquire about me ( and team ) working with her, I told them that you are my first priority. I have to say that I was flattered she has an interest, but your skating comes first.

Let me know if you have any concerns or thoughts. I wanted to contact you and tell you how this all happened.

When are you arriving? and do you have any idea what you are feeling for next year? maybe we should talk about this.

All the kids are missing you here at the club.

Please be in touch. B

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...on-kim-says-orser-lied-about-their-split.html

* 'and team' <--- Mao's agency is very smart.

* Orser sent this email to Yuna at the time that one month had yet not passed after 10Worlds(2010-03-27) in which Yuna lost to Mao.
Orser is a inconsiderate person.

Orser : "coaches are people and costume designers are people and you have to be kind of prepared to make changes."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/olymp...ist-distraught-as-coaching-controversy-swirls

to Peter Oppegard & Karen Kwan
I heartily thank you for designing Yuna's Giselle costume.

(Arirang costume was designed by Korean designer.)

2011-04-25 Canadian article

The fervent nationalism has boiled over to the point where the greatest sin a Japanese figure skating reporter can commit is writing anything slightly favourable about Kim. One veteran Japanese journalist says she’s been bombarded with hate messages from Asada supporters.
Asada played a bit of a role in that divorce. She’d approached Orser to see if he’d be interested in coaching her if Kim retired from competitive skating, which she was contemplating. Orser let Kim’s people know he had another offer on the table. That he’d even consider working with Asada was apparently viewed as the ultimate betrayal.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...rkman-skate-rivalry-boils-over-on-and-off-ice

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
Good grief. Why are you guys bringing up this Mao vs. Yuna and the break-up again? Let it go guys, seriously. Yuna has worked with a lot of people within the skating world from coaches, trainers, costume designers, choreographers, etc., but that doesn't mean she owns them. These skating professionals work with numerous other skaters, many of whom compete against each other. This is perfectly normal and doesn't mean Mao wants to imitate Yuna.

There's probably nothing more Mao and Yuna hate than the nationalistic media-hyped "rivalry" hoisted on them.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Sorry. haha.
I wish that I could be a classy fan like prettykeys.

However, I was also happy to see that posters like bigsisjiejie who are not "YuNa-fan" agreed with my sentiment that the Arirang LP was skated without reserve. I truly believe this is YuNa's finest LP to date. It was not perfectly executed technically, but I love it, and I love YuNa even more than ever for coming out so bravely and skating it for us. (Is "brave" an odd word to use? I mean it in the sense that it seems deeply personally meaningful, and it was done for the year after her Olympics, where her competitive motivation was in question.) It is not flirty like Gershwin, it isn't as mystically seductive like Scheherazade...it's not as dark and dramatic like Danse Macabre and it isn't playful and sexy like Bond. I love this LP most because it is YuNa purely skating for us with her soul and heart, no acting or character-playing. Even Lark Ascending in all its beauty, was not one of YuNa's favourites or especially meaningful to her like this LP was. There is a part of me that is sad that YuNa did not win Gold, and I am also a little worried for her because she seems distraught about some things, but she left points on the table and it was close. However, she was magnificent. Her steps are utterly gorgeous in how they highlight the nuances of the music, and her ending flourish, with the triple Salchow followed shortly by the double Axel... I could feel goosebumps and chills throughout the program and then tears towards the end. It fills me with humility and appreciation, and I am grateful for what she has given us.

As for Miki Ando, what can I say. She worked hard for many years, and she still does. This was a great year for her. I have believed for some time that she is a naturally expressive skater but that her competitive programs did not showcase her expressiveness properly...but this year's SP was lovely and what her LP somewhat lacked in this regard was made up for in technical achievement. From all reports I have ever read, she is a very sweet girl and (heehee) some fans who attended this Championships and got to see her off the ice doing everyday things with her coach (e.g. eating lunch etc.) say that she and Nikolai are cute together. So, congratulations to her and her coach.

With regards to Mao Asada. She is also my second-favourite lady skater after YuNa. Her LP this year was also one of the highlights of the season, and it is a shame she did not have her best competitive outings--although not entirely unexpected, because she is working hard at pushing her technique and athletic boundaries. I duly noted that her costume is one of the loveliest I've ever seen of hers and in general, and it does not surprise me that it comes from the French Canadian designers who did YuNa's costumes in the past. They are one of the best. And...let this issue go. Costume designers can design beautiful pieces for more than one skater and everyone benefits. The designers also did Joannie Rochette's lovely costumes too. Considering that they are Canadian, if they felt like they had to choose their loyalties, they could have chosen to exclusively design for Joannie and tell YuNa that they were too busy to do hers too, while those two were competing against each other, but they didn't. :) I wish Mao Asada well and continued progress into the future.

Lastly, thanks to the Russian organizers of the event, it's amazing that they were able to do it in less than a month's notice.

megrin

Rinkside
Wow, I didn't expect I was yelled at by others. I just wanted to make sure as figurejennah was writing in a definitive way, but I read the story in my previous post rather recently, though I don't have its link at hand. I didn't follow the details till the end at that time as the story got messier and I was fed up. Thanks for clearing it up, figurejennah, though the article you showed is the one on a rather trashy weekly magazine and I am not sure of its accuracy... Anyway, I don't intend to get involved with Mao vs Yuna stuff, so I'll stop.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vDvX5Xc_3I#t=03m056s
Brian says himself here 'they absolutely did not' approach him.

Team Mao made an official statement: "Unsubstantiated rumour"
http://news.searchina.ne.jp/disp.cgi?y=2010&d=0426&f=national_0426_024.shtml

Then there is that article linked earlier here above stating otherwise. So can we conclude that this is very much he said she said (well in this case Brian is the only one who 'said' two things- one in the interview and the other (allegedly) in the email).

So I see no point in bringing this up. Essentially I'm bringing this up again :biggrin: so I'll stop here.

prettykeys, 1) I apologise for writing a comment about skaters other than Yuna in this thread, and 2) thanks for your insight re: Yuna's popularity in Korea.

Olympia, thanks for sharing re: your friend's newspaper. I have Korean students (I work in education) and they absolutely adore Yuna!

So Yuna is definitely skipping GP but possibly :rock::rock: competing in the Worlds next season. Who was the last ladies single Olympic Gold Medalist to stick to the amateur field this long? At least no one post 1988 no?

P.S. I came to this thread for the first time to check out about Yu-na's donation. However I'm a bit taken aback now that I have read several comments. So this will be the last. :)

Last edited:
L

lowtherlore

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...rkman-skate-rivalry-boils-over-on-and-off-ice

I don’t see this exactly as Yu-Na vs Mao stuff. What has Yu-Na ever done to Mao, off-ice?

I know that many fans here don’t want to open up an old wound. But all these irrelevant remarks such as “designers, coaches and choreographers can work with anybody, so what’s the big deal?” bothers me. Of course it’s true that everybody’s free to choose whom to work with. But everything needs to be looked at in some context or perspective, especially if it’s susceptible to conflicts or controversies, and particularly in this fickle sport, no?

When Mao’s side approached Orser and showed their interest in working with him and his “team”, I believe the “team” included practically everybody (count the dressmaker too) with whom Yuna had been working for years. In an interview at the time of the breakup (last August), Orser was already mentioning the costume designer, that she needed to make plans. And Mao’s side was hiding this, just as they were hiding the fact (i.e. lying by denying) that they approached Orser. That the Toronto designer Lamond made the costume for Mao was only lately disclosed through the designer’s site. Before, her costumes were known to be made by a local Nagoya designer.

I believe that the primary motive in Mao and her federation having approached Orser and his “team” was to separate them from Yu-Na and drive her out of her training base in Toronto, as I didn’t believe Mao had serious intention to move and train overseas at the time. In that context, I think Orser is a victim, too. And I’ve never before heard of such a covertly maleficent scheme carried out behind a skater’s back by the opponent side.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker

I don’t see this exactly as Yu-Na vs Mao stuff. What has Yu-Na ever done to Mao, off-ice?

I know that many fans here don’t want to open up an old wound. But all these irrelevant remarks such as “designers, coaches and choreographers can work with anybody, so what’s the big deal?” bothers me. It’s true that everybody’s free to choose whom to work with. But everything needs to be looked at in some context or perspective, especially if it’s susceptible to conflicts or controversies, no?

When Mao’s side approached Orser and showed their interest in working with him and his “team”, I believe the “team” included practically everybody (count the dressmaker too) with whom Yuna has been working for years. In an interview at the time of the breakup (last August), Orser was already mentioning the costume designer, that she needed to make plans. And Mao’s side was hiding this, just as they were hiding the fact (i.e. lying by denying) that they approached Orser. That the Toronto designer Lamond made the costume for Mao was only lately disclosed through the designer’s site. Before, her costumes were known to be made by a local Nagoya designer.

I believe that the primary motive in Mao and her federation having approached Orser and his “team” was to separate them from Yu-Na and drive her out of her training base in Toronto, as I didn’t believe Mao had serious intention to move and train overseas at the time. In that context, I think Orser is a victim, too. And I’ve never before heard of such a covertly maleficent scheme carried out behind a skater’s back by the opponent side.

:rofl: Good one! I LOL'd.

Er...you aren't being serious, are you?

parma

On the Ice

I know that many fans here don’t want to open up an old wound. But all these irrelevant remarks such as “designers, coaches and choreographers can work with anybody, so what’s the big deal?” bothers me. It’s true that everybody’s free to choose whom to work with. But everything needs to be looked at in some context or perspective, especially if it’s susceptible to conflicts or controversies, no?

When Mao’s side approached Orser and showed their interest in working with him and his “team”, I believe the “team” included practically everybody (count the dressmaker too) with whom Yuna has been working for years. In an interview at the time of the breakup (last August), Orser was already mentioning the costume designer, that she needed to make plans. And Mao’s side was hiding this, just as they were hiding the fact (i.e. lying by denying) that they approached Orser. That the Toronto designer Lamond made the costume for Mao was only lately disclosed through the designer’s site. Before, her costumes were known to be made by a local Nagoya designer.

I see that too. Asada using Yuna's former costume designer, considering their past and all the crap tangled around them and Yuna's former coach, is inappropriate for herself and totally inconsiderate for Yuna when they know how painful the breakup was to Yuna and her family. Very distasteful move to say the least. Her approaching and hiring the designer tells me Asada's team does not have any regards for Yuna and also bolster the high likelihood of their major involvement in the breakup.

Last edited:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I would have to disagree. As one of the most passionate Yuna fans out there, I don't see any issue in Mao using a designer who formerly designed Yuna's costumes. No issue at all.

L

lowtherlore

....blah...blah... I came to this thread for the first time to check out about Yu-na's donation. However I'm a bit taken aback now that I have read several comments. So this will be the last. :)

So long, till you give it a fair and objective thought and feel like coming back.

prettykeys

Medalist
prettykeys, 1) I apologise for writing a comment about skaters other than Yuna in this thread, and 2) thanks for your insight re: Yuna's popularity in Korea.
P.S. I came to this thread for the first time to check out about Yu-na's donation. However I'm a bit taken aback now that I have read several comments. So this will be the last. :)
Except it wasn't your first time. You commented in this thread before:

I love the silhouette of her outfit which really flatters her beautiful figure but am not so keen on the rather cheapy looking fabric/ buttons!

So, please be more honest in your comments. And don't make me out to look like a reactionary who dislikes chatter about other skaters in this thread. It's that you praised Mao while implying Miki has a less-than-praiseworthy character. Negative and irrelevant comments about other skaters are unwelcome.

Last edited:
L

lowtherlore

Two millenium mark! Long live the Queen!!

Last edited:

babayaga

On the Ice
I cannot believe the amount of Mao hate in this thread :eek::eek::eek: Could it be Lori Nicol involved in choosing the dress designer since she was the one choreographing the program?