Page 103 of 202 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 3021

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I think I got both of yours, MM! You can check whether the rest are gone.
    Thank you Doris! I am so happy to have you as a mod!! You got mine and all other unnecessary posts.

Custom Title
    Thanks, Doris!

Custom Title
    IFS Magazine, December, 2010 article.

"Yu-Na Kim Loving Life in LA"
    by Susan D. Russell
    IFS Magazine page 10, December 2010 issue

Key points:
    - The transition to LA has been positive, Yu-Na thought it would be different there, but nothing has changed since well, she still trains a lot. Oh, but it's hotter there.

- Yu-Na said about East West, "We asked Michelle if I could train there, and she said absolutely. It was very easy." Yu-Na is enjoying East-West. She believes that Peter will be a "strong mental support" to her and she has faith in him.

- Peter Oppegard is delighted to be coaching Yu-Na. "I am impressed with Yu-Na's disciplined and dedicated approach to her work. Her demeanor is always respectful and unassuming. Yu-Na is a wonderful addition to the rink. Her presence is an inspiration to the younger athletes that look up to her."

- Michelle Kwan is thrilled that Oppegard is coaching Yu-Na. "Peter is the perfect choice. He really cares about the skater, and I have no doubt that he will think of all the things that are important to making her the best skater she can be."

- Yu-Na mentions having trained with Evan, Mirai, and Caroline (does Mirai train at East West part time? I had no idea.), and talented younger skaters.

- Yu-na says she is not planning on Four Continents 2011 because she doesn't think she will be ready.

- Confirmation that David did both her programs, and confirmation that Worlds 2011 is her goal.

- Yu-Na was "really surprised" as the great reaction of the Los Angeles audience for ATS LA, because she wasn't sure how they would react, and they're usually calm at competitions. She said all the skaters felt that way about the reaction, and everyone had fun.

And the magazine has many pics taken during ATS LA :
    http://blog.naver.com/raulgb/115747438

Custom Title
    Wonder if many Yuna fans already know this but I never knew that Yuna wanted to be a singer, an Olympic championa and a MATHEMATICIAN when she was 14.
    Sep. 10th, 2004 articel(I was not interested in this promising junior skater then and most Koreans didn't know her so I have never read this articel until yesterday) :
    http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0000084272

Sorry I cannot translate this article but it is so, so interesting.

- Solving equations were so much fun to her. Her favorite subject was mathematics because it was most 'neat.' She could not go to school everyday because she always had to train until midnight but she wanted to study well and actually studied well. She hit the books almost all the time when she was not training. She got the second best grades in her class!

- Fun loving girl who wanted to play and to eat some snacks like pizza with friends but those small desires did not always come true.

- She confessed that whenever she felt skating was too much for her, she went to her mom to protest, crying. "I hate myself being such a crybaby. Feel sorry for hardworking mom. But if I continue to win like this time(GPS junior), she will forget her being heartbroken."

- The article points out that Yuna's main strength is jumps and weaknesses are (lack of) flexibility and facial expression. "(laughing) I am not like a princess so I cannot make an expression pretending to be pretty."

Down With It
    ^ is that a young Yuna in that pic?

Custom Title
    Is Yu-Na still in college? I remember an article awhile back that she had failed some courses.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Is Yu-Na still in college? I remember an article awhile back that she had failed some courses.
    yes, she is

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    ^ is that a young Yuna in that pic?
    Yes, she was 14.

Custom Title
    We are living in a world where each individual pretty much specializes in one area; only if a person is as good at his/her area as the way Yuna is good at skating, no matter what field the person is in.

Custom Title
    12 year old Yuna's 3Lz, 3F, 3R, 3T and 3S are TEXT BOOK JUMPS...all SENIOR LADIES want to achieve !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I18Xz...eature=related

It must be a gift...to achieve the technique at 12 years and 3 months.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post
    12 year old Yuna's 3Lz, 3F, 3R, 3T and 3S are TEXT BOOK JUMPS...all SENIOR LADIES want to achieve !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I18Xz...eature=related

It must be a gift...to achieve the technique at 12 years and 3 months.
    If you didn't see it. you must see it.
    Last edited by ever; 10-30-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Custom Title
    Wow.

That's the kind of achievement that the word prodigy was coined to define. No wonder this kid's been the talk of skating since she showed up. And amazing that she showed up in a country that had no skating tradition to speak of. These little miracles happen in sports, the arts, and science sometimes--some homegrown genius just appears. Isn't it grand?

Tripping on the Podium
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    Wonder if many Yuna fans already know this but I never knew that Yuna wanted to be a singer, an Olympic championa and a MATHEMATICIAN when she was 14.
    Sep. 10th, 2004 articel(I was not interested in this promising junior skater then and most Koreans didn't know her so I have never read this articel until yesterday) :
    http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0000084272

Sorry I cannot translate this article but it is so, so interesting.

- Solving equations were so much fun to her. Her favorite subject was mathematics because it was most 'neat.' She could not go to school everyday because she always had to train until midnight but she wanted to study well and actually studied well. She hit the books almost all the time when she was not training. She got the second best grades in her class!

- Fun loving girl who wanted to play and to eat some snacks like pizza with friends but those small desires did not always come true.

- She confessed that whenever she felt skating was too much for her, she went to her mom to protest, crying. "I hate myself being such a crybaby. Feel sorry for hardworking mom. But if I continue to win like this time(GPS junior), she will forget her being heartbroken."
    HaHa, I've never seen this article, and thank you for posting it. Yuna is SO CUTE and very SMART . Moreover, she is such a good daughter. I can feel she is a sort of perfectionist . I love the fact she likes mathmatics as it is so "neat" -- so Yunarish!
    Last edited by csunny7; 11-29-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Wow.

That's the kind of achievement that the word prodigy was coined to define. No wonder this kid's been the talk of skating since she showed up. And amazing that she showed up in a country that had no skating tradition to speak of. These little miracles happen in sports, the arts, and science sometimes--some homegrown genius just appears. Isn't it grand?
    Yes, it's absolutely grand. Yuna is a real prodigy and miracle in figure skaing. She's just amazing
    In this respect, I think we should give some credit to Korean coaches who taught "correct jump basics " to little Yuna. I'd like to give big applaude to them. Cool!
    Last edited by csunny7; 10-31-2010 at 03:02 AM.

Custom Title
    That's a great point, csunny. (By contrast, look at Caroline Zhang, who would be a lot further along now if her jump technique weren't so faulty and her skating so slow!) I'll applaud YuNa's early coaches along with you. They didn't let YuNa take shortcuts that would lead to short-term results but undermine her progress in the long run. She had nothing to unlearn as she grew taller and took on full-length senior programs. I also felt the same thing about Michelle, whose work with Frank Carroll made her a meticulous technician as well as artistically superior. Thanks for reminding us of the importance of careful early training.

Page 103 of 202 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 153 ... LastLast