Yuna Kim | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

joy k.k

Rinkside
In general, that term is used to refer to a skater using more than a small section of the ice when they compete. Good ice coverage means that they use all or most of the ice space that the rink offers. The ideal has been for a skater to "cover the ice" well, i.e., use most of it when they skate, and to do so with good speed and without an excess of caution, i.e., to appear free and effortless as much as possible, and to skate in what one might call a large way, resulting in a skate that is big, bold, and beautiful.

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation!!:)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is Min-Jung Kwak still in Toronto with Yuna? I heard she went back with Yuna after the Olympics to train for Worlds but I don't know if she is back in Korea now or still in Canada.

Basics

On the Ice
Is Min-Jung Kwak still in Toronto with Yuna? I heard she went back with Yuna after the Olympics to train for Worlds but I don't know if she is back in Korea now or still in Canada.

Yes, she is still in Toronto training with Yuna. She might be coached by Brian Orser as well. :)

Nadia01

Final Flight

As far as I know, she's in Toronto.

MJK doesn't have a coach right now, and I read a rumor that she may be asking Orser to be her coach, but who knows...?

miki88

Medalist
Geez guys, the competition is at the end of the month. I don't think it takes that long to get over a cold. Nothing to be concerned about. :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
As far as I know, she's in Toronto.

MJK doesn't have a coach right now, and I read a rumor that she may be asking Orser to be her coach, but who knows...?

Oh that would be wonderful. Orser could turn her into a star I have no doubt! She has a great 3lz and her flexibility and body lines are gorgeous. She's improved so much this year too, def has a lot of potential :love:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Geez guys, the competition is at the end of the month. I don't think it takes that long to get over a cold. Nothing to be concerned about. :)

I'm not worried that she may still have the cold, but that she may not be able to prepare properly for the competition.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Oh that would be wonderful. Orser could turn her into a star I have no doubt! She has a great 3lz and her flexibility and body lines are gorgeous. She's improved so much this year too, def has a lot of potential :love:

Maybe. I find her quite lovable, but I'm not making up my mind about her ability until I see how she does at the Worlds. Though she has some nice jumps, she's nowhere near Yuna and Mao at that age, and I feel like she may just end up disappointing me just like so many other young skaters who broke my heart.

steyn

On the Ice
I hope she is better now.

I hear that one of many things Yu-Na excels at is her ice coverage,
but I don't really know what ice coverage means.
Does that mean she is skating more than other skaters?
I know this is not related to Yu-Na news, but I'd appreciate if someone helped me out with this.

You may be able to get some idea from the icemarks.

Yu-Na's LP Scheherazade:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6710/yunat.png

Mao's LP Masquerade:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5976/icemarkmao.jpg

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe. I find her quite lovable, but I'm not making up my mind about her ability until I see how she does at the Worlds. Though she has some nice jumps, she's nowhere near Yuna and Mao at that age, and I feel like she may just end up disappointing me just like so many other young skaters who broke my heart.

You could be right, but I think a good coach can make all the difference if a skater has some natural talent, which Kwak clearly does. I mean, she is a year younger than Mirai, and last season Mirai's international scores were much lower than what Kwak has gotten at her last two competitions, even this season both Mirai's grand prix LP scores were lower than what Kwak got for her LP at 4CC and the Olympics. Plus sometimes being so good at a young age backfires, as we've seen with Caroline and a lot of other girls. Most skaters have to rework their jumps after they have a growthspurt, but where Kwak is 16 she probably won't get much taller (hopefully she'll fill out a bit though). She can jump, she can spin, and she's flexible - the things she needs to work on - speed, edging, footwork, stroking, etc - are things that can be developed with a good coach. I don't know if she will ever be fantastic, but I think with the right packaging she could be quite good :agree:.

breeze

Rinkside
:agree: :agree:

You may be able to get some idea from the icemarks.

Yu-Na's LP Scheherazade:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6710/yunat.png

Mao's LP Masquerade:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5976/icemarkmao.jpg

Thanks!
I remembered seeing these pictures when I read joy's question, but I didn't know how to search for them again since I read very little Japanese. IIRC, these are from a Japanese FS magazine and they also did a ice coverage illustrations for Yuna and Mao's current programs, Gershwin and Bells. They explained the elements that they are doing in each different colored/numbered segments and I found it quite interesting and informative.

For both free programs for last and current season, Yuna seems to be covering more ice (hence skating longer distance) which means she's faster. And Mao is not a slow skater at all!

Since I don't want this to be another Yuna & Mao comparing thread, it would be very nice if someone could tell me if this magazine did the same analysis for other skaters and older programs too, and if I could buy/read them in the US. I'm most curious about Kostner's ice coverage since she actually used to look faster than Yuna. I know, what makes this sentense sad is "used to". I remember her SP at 2007 World was so refreshing and energetic. :eek:hwell:

Sorry it was off topic..

miki88

Medalist
Thanks!
I remembered seeing these pictures when I read joy's question, but I didn't know how to search for them again since I read very little Japanese. IIRC, these are from a Japanese FS magazine and they also did a ice coverage illustrations for Yuna and Mao's current programs, Gershwin and Bells. They explained the elements that they are doing in each different colored/numbered segments and I found it quite interesting and informative.

For both free programs for last and current season, Yuna seems to be covering more ice (hence skating longer distance) which means she's faster. And Mao is not a slow skater at all!

Since I don't want this to be another Yuna & Mao comparing thread, it would be very nice if someone could tell me if this magazine did the same analysis for other skaters and older programs too, and if I could buy/read them in the US. I'm most curious about Kostner's ice coverage since she actually used to look faster than Yuna. I know, what makes this sentense sad is "used to". I remember her SP at 2007 World was so refreshing and energetic. :eek:hwell:

Sorry it was off topic..

ITA! Thank you for pointing that out. Mao is definitely not a slow skater; she's just not as fast as Yuna, but then few skaters can catch up to Yuna's speed. I can only think of Carolina who may equal Yuna in terms of speed.

Nadia01

Final Flight
You could be right, but I think a good coach can make all the difference if a skater has some natural talent, which Kwak clearly does. I mean, she is a year younger than Mirai, and last season Mirai's international scores were much lower than what Kwak has gotten at her last two competitions, even this season both Mirai's grand prix LP scores were lower than what Kwak got for her LP at 4CC and the Olympics. Plus sometimes being so good at a young age backfires, as we've seen with Caroline and a lot of other girls. Most skaters have to rework their jumps after they have a growthspurt, but where Kwak is 16 she probably won't get much taller (hopefully she'll fill out a bit though). She can jump, she can spin, and she's flexible - the things she needs to work on - speed, edging, footwork, stroking, etc - are things that can be developed with a good coach. I don't know if she will ever be fantastic, but I think with the right packaging she could be quite good :agree:.

You're probably right. I've seen so many people already calling Kwak "mini-Yuna" and I just don't think that's appropriate yet, since Yuna's never been off-podium in intl competitions (novice, jr & sr).

I'd love to see Kwak clean up some of her issues and become more consistent. I think she has the potential, but I don't want another disappointment of Naomi Nari Nam, who dazzled me in 99, only to disappear and so on, hence my low expectations. ;-)

watchskate25

Spectator
According to Dong-a newspaper in Korea last year, Kwak was 2nd in the National cpmpetition in Korea,. 12 year-old, young skater Hae-Jin Kim won the national competition in Korea. She can Jump all kinds of Triple except 3A. Third place was another 12 year old young skater So Yeon Park.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
According to Dong-a newspaper in Korea last year, Kwak was 2nd in the National cpmpetition in Korea,. 12 year-old, young skater Hae-Jin Kim won the national competition in Korea. She can Jump all kinds of Triple except 3A. Third place was another 12 year old young skater So Yeon Park.

Yeah she was 2nd at Korean Nationals but won the Olympic qualifiers. Her international scores at the past two competitions have been much higher than what she scored previously though, even at Korean Nationals. She was 22nd at Jr Worlds last year and finished 11th at both her JGP events this year. It seems like recently she's had a huge breakthrough because her LP score at 4CC was a season's best by over 34 points or something. I think she's gaining consistency based on her results recently, she must have either not had most of her triples or couldn't consistently rotate them this fall even based on her scores from the JGP. I think with the right coach and packaging she could be pretty good.

prettykeys

Medalist
You're probably right. I've seen so many people already calling Kwak "mini-Yuna" and I just don't think that's appropriate yet, since Yuna's never been off-podium in intl competitions (novice, jr & sr).
To be honest, it kinda bugs me.

Just because they're both Korean...? :scratch: Min-Jung is no Yu-Na. :disapp:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
To be honest, it kinda bugs me.

Just because they're both Korean...? :scratch: Min-Jung is no Yu-Na. :disapp:

She looks like Yuna did when she was younger, I actually think that's why most people call her Mini-Yuna. Her skating is pretty good but her style is different from Yuna, she is really flexible and more of a spinner while Yuna is more of a jumper. People call Christina Gao Mini-Yuna too, but that's again mostly because she looks like Yuna did when she was younger and they have the same coach. I still have high hopes for Christina, though she did not do as well at Junior Worlds (8th place) as expected.