Yuna Kim | Page 111 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I'm really sorry for you...but I'll tell you where Michelle stands in Japan.

Michelle is practically NOBODY in Japan...Michelle is known to few as a silver medalist who was defeated by Tara.
Eight US TITLE does not mean anything to foreign skating fans.

Sasha is much more well known in Japan for her BEAUTIFUL SKATING despite of not-many winning.

Wow knowing this strangely makes me love Michelle Kwan even more!!

The last time I checked Japan is only a country, it is not the world.

Eight US titles might not mean much to you, but 5 x world champion should do it.

And Michelle being a non-Japanese Asian competitor in a nationalist country probably explain on the popularity issue more than Sasha being a beautiful skater.

All in all, you are free to express what you feel so strongly, just don't be surprised some don't agree with you...strongly!

Last edited:

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Wow knowing this strangely makes me love Michelle Kwan even more!!

The last time I check Japan is only a country, it is not the world.

Eight US titles might not mean much to you, but 5 x world champion should do it.

And Michelle being a non-Japanese Asian competitor in a nationalist country probably explains more on the popularity issue more than Sasha being a beautiful skater.

All in all, you are free to express what you feel so strongly, just don't be surprised some don't agree...strongly!

Yes, Michelle was the most CONSISTENT skater in her era...accordingly...many many US fans.

But...don't get confused the SWEETNESS of VICTORY with BEAUTIFUL SKATING which Michelle doesn't have.
I know the feeling of her fans...when she won 5 times world championships.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Both Michelle and Tara were roundly criticized for their Lutz edge in the season leading up to the 1998 Olympics. There was a running battle of words between Frank Carroll and Richard Callaghan, each accusing the other's skater of terrible technique while denying (publicly anyway) that there was anything wrong with his own girl's.

Tara in particular was marked down for it in the 1997 Grand Prix series. (She was forgiven by the time of the Grand Prix Final, though, where she won against five other skaters all of whom had pretty good Lutzes, as I recall -- Szevczenko. Butyrskaya. Slutskaya, Sokolova and Hubert, Michelle not participating.)

I don't know why North American and Asian ladies cannot do this jump (YU-NA EXCEPTED!!! (where are the run-and-hide and slink-away smilies?)) It is hard to name two U.S. ladies who don't flutz. (I can name one -- Alissa Czisny -- she lips. :) )

I used to think that the mechanics of the jump are such that only a man can do it. Something about how the hips join up with the pelvis, together with upper body strength. But there are quite a few European ladies who have excellent Lutz technique, so I guess that's not it.

What about Rachael? I know she has a weird looking take off on her triple lutz but she does take off on the right edge, no?

In terms of North American skaters, there's Joannie Rochette.

Yeah, it's weird how forgiving the judges were about wrong edge take off for a while. Right before the Michelle/Tara era it seems more of the top ladies had solid outside edge take offs - Oksana, Nancy, Tonya...
My guess is that all of a sudden the triple lutz was SO important to be competitive that the ladies all put one in regardless of whether they could do a true one or not. How lenient the judges were seemed to depend. (And probably still does.)

For the first time in YEARS I rewatched the ladies short from Salt Lake City. I hadn't seen this longer version of the U.S. commentary on Sasha's SP. Scott and Sandra both noted her flutz and noted that she would get a deduction on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIie7mouHpQ&feature=related

It seem in later years the judges were more lenient on Sasha for that mistake. Maybe they were more lenient on everyone?

Anyhow, I'm glad the judges are being pickier about it now. It's fairer to skaters who have gorgeous lutz technique ... LIKE YUNA ...just so that no one accuses me of being OT ;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
So why be so dishonest? That is what's bugging me. You aren't some 14 year old girl caught up in fantasy land. And as a business person, you must understand the problem with your sweeping statements presented as fact but are not based in reality. Its equal to a 10 billion valuation on a stock for belly button lint.

Unless you are simply being mean to crazy skating fans because it amuses you... hmmm... is this my husband on this board? This is his idea of a good time too...

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Back on topic: I believe the issue with the Lutz is the elimination of figures training. Based on the early training of Yuna via videotapes of great skaters, I wouldn't be surprised if she worked on edges and great blade technique before she started focusing on jumps.

The rush to jump killed the simple blade technique that made earlier skaters so lovely to watch. Even Kwan, who I worship and adore, stopped training figures once it became clear that being a jumping bean trumped all...

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Are you the same guy who repeatedly lost money for refusing to buy Microsoft, Google and Apple stocks because they are JUST OK?
May be it is time to try something else :)

Yes, I lost a lot of money for clients when I first started...I was over confident.
That was 30 years ago.

These days...I mainly trade for myself.
Why bother with somebody else if you can make comfortable living by yourself?

Lilith11

On the Ice
I have mixed feeling about her LP, as fantastic and gorgeous as it is, I think it would work best as a exhibition where she doesn't have all these COP limitations and she can have complete freedom to express from within. It is one of those rare 'heart on a plate' type of program, and putting it through the COP shredder is just *shudder* inducing. If there's any program that need to be bring back from the past, I'd love it to be the Lark Ascending.

-------------

As for Yuna news,

This is the official video released by ATS for her Fevers exhibtion
http://youtu.be/2PrUzGTuN50

and here's her latest official MV released yesterday for PyeongChang 2018 bid, a duet with the great Lena Park.
http://youtu.be/5ye6AOZ83kI

On the subject of Lark Ascending, the miracles of youtube show themselves once more! Someone edited different performances of Yu-na to show a glimpse of just how beautiful the program might have been had it been skated "clean": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNt4ilbQdI

Layfan

Record Breaker
Back on topic: I believe the issue with the Lutz is the elimination of figures training. Based on the early training of Yuna via videotapes of great skaters, I wouldn't be surprised if she worked on edges and great blade technique before she started focusing on jumps.

The rush to jump killed the simple blade technique that made earlier skaters so lovely to watch. Even Kwan, who I worship and adore, stopped training figures once it became clear that being a jumping bean trumped all...

Yuna: She did. There's an interview that someone posted on another thread (or maybe it was this one like, 5,000 posts ago :) ) where Yuna talks about how she would work on edges and blade work for ages before getting to the jumps and how that was her secret.

As for Michelle, true that maybe the edge on her lutz wasn't perfect but she did have pretty awesome edging in general, I always thought. People can correct me if I'm wrong but I always sensed that the secret to Michelle's wonderfulness was the solidity of her skating skills - and everything flowed from there. Maybe not the best in history but solid.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Michelle had the best skating skills of her generation, hands down... It is what made her spiral so iconic and the footwork for on Tosca is just sick... but by far the best program that highlighted her amazing skills had to be the worlds version of Red Violin. Blew me away... a work of art.

I'm not surprised that Yuna spent so much time on blade work... it shows.

parma

On the Ice
Since when this became a Kwan thread? Can we focus on news related Yuna from now on, as the thread title indicates?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Since when this became a Kwan thread? Can we focus on news related Yuna from now on, as the thread title indicates?

For real.

http://christinedzidrums.com/blog/?p=235
Book21 Publishing will be releasing the Korean language version of Yuna Kim: Ice Queen very shortly. Needless to say, I am beyond thrilled that Yuna’s inspiring story will now be available to an all-new audience. :)
I would hardly be calling Koreans an "all-new audience" though. But I know what she means. :p

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Michelle had the best skating skills of her generation, hands down... It is what made her spiral so iconic and the footwork for on Tosca is just sick... but by far the best program that highlighted her amazing skills had to be the worlds version of Red Violin. Blew me away... a work of art.

I'm not surprised that Yuna spent so much time on blade work... it shows.

yeah I always did feel ill after watching her...

sorry, couldn't resist... if I can't get your goat it's just not a good day ;) :laugh:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
This is one by a retired speed skater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqLqfr6noPo

Here is another dance-singer idol performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs_3t9NpXYM&feature=related

Teehee. The only celebrities I recognize are Son Dambi, Krystal, and IU. The speed skater's routine looked fun. :)

Here are some (more) of the performances:
http://www.allkpop.com/2011/05/sbss-kiss-cry-finally-premieres

(Krystal's routine kind of reminded me of Shae-Lynn Bourne's though, just a little bit. The one from Ice All-Stars back in 2009?)

Last edited: