Yuna Kim | Page 113 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

parma

On the Ice
everyone knows that one of yuna's dreams is to built an ice rink exclusively for figure skaters.. looks like they're trying to built an ice rink in Korea..though it's only a plan. hopefully the govt or private companies will help her.

http://uccfs.paran.com//PUD/ra/inmak01/THUMB/20110530/1306753061_201105301957416688200001_700_0.jpg

the building looks great!:eek:

it says that the building will have 8 stories multiplex of two ice rinks, library, musical theater, swimming pool and other sports utilities, and more..

The complex would be a rally nice landmark of Seoul if it was to be built. I hope the plan goes through.

Binthere

On the Ice
Saw something that implied that Yuna's TV specials saw a notable drop in viewership/ratings. Can anyone verify this? Hope it is not true. We (the sport) needs popularity to be sustained in the non-Olympic years. If Yuna can't do it in Korea, uh.... (hope this is not the case).

cooper

Medalist
Saw something that implied that Yuna's TV specials saw a notable drop in viewership/ratings. Can anyone verify this? Hope it is not true. We (the sport) needs popularity to be sustained in the non-Olympic years. If Yuna can't do it in Korea, uh.... (hope this is not the case).

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/06/01/2011060101061.html

no matter how people say that korea is obsessed w/ yuna... not really a surprise about the ratings...
her show is in the same timeslot w/ korea's popular shows.. sbs has been struggling with their sunday shows for a while now..
i guess koreans are more interested if yuna is skating...

Krislite

Medalist

Yes. There's an article about it: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/06/01/2011060101061.html

Apparently the biggest complaint was that the skating contestants (Korean celebrities) showed rather lackluster skating skills, resulting in boring programs. That's understandable. They've only had two months training on the basics and I doubt any of them even skate for a hobby, except for one contestant who was actually a former speed skater.

Yuna's competitions draw monstrous ratings (40%+ for the 2011 Worlds), and she has sold-out ice shows, but I guess the Koreans don't care to see non-skaters doing skating.

cooper

Medalist
^Koreans are more interested if Yuna is competing...
but it's not like she's going to skate forever.. what if she retires? the sport will die in korea i guess.. :sheesh:

Krislite

Medalist
^Koreans are more interested if Yuna is competing...
but it's not like she's going to skate forever.. what if she retires? the sport will die in korea i guess.. :sheesh:

The attention and popularity Yuna has brought to figure skating in Korea is very fragile at the moment. If she retired now it would almost certainly die off, though she may be able to carry on with many more ice shows for a while.

It's really not any different from the US. Competitive figure skaters who bring home gold draw the public spotlight, fueling or maintaining interests in all things figure skating, including ice shows. Without such skaters interest declines. In the US, despite decades of Olympic and World champions since the 1950's, figure skating declined rapidly near the end of Michelle Kwan's career, and was practically killed off when the promising newcomers failed to fill the void. (It was already declining from the days of the Harding/Kerrigan scandal, but that was expected since it was only a one-time boost.)

If the IOC selects PyeongChang for the 2018 OWG, it could stave off a collapse in Korean public interest that would come from Yuna's retirement. Such a selection would likely put pressure on the Koreans to have a few skaters be ready for the games and be in medal contention. I think following up Midori Ito and Yuka Sato with the 1998 Nagano games helped to cement the popularity of figure skating in Japan. (It was also the event that reportedly caught Yuna's attention and brought her to figure skating.)

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
Thanks for uploading!
Wow, they are so much better than last episode!!! It's amazing. So that is the power of partner? :biggrin: Almost all progrmas look very promising. And even when their skills are not there, their expressions are quite good. Very interesting. Maybe this show will inspire more Korean skaters into pair or dance?
And Yuna is as adorable as usual. But what made her cry..?
Can't wait for next episode.

cooper

Medalist
Thanks for uploading!
Wow, they are so much better than last episode!!! It's amazing. So that is the power of partner? :biggrin: Almost all progrmas look very promising. And even when their skills are not there, their expressions are quite good. Very interesting. Maybe this show will inspire more Korean skaters into pair or dance?
And Yuna is as adorable as usual. But what made her cry..?
Can't wait for next episode.

i think that's one of the reasons why yuna wanted to do this.. to inspire the koreans to skate in pairs and be more active in dance. :thumbsup:

parma

On the Ice
It's great to see Yuna rolling up her sleeves and give her hands to Korean skating industry.

Her TV show is the first ever ice skating themed variety TV show in Asia. Quite a pioneer in that aspect.

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
^well looks like there will be a season 2 for yuna's show. it's good news. :)
http://sports.chosun.com/news/news.htm?id=201106020000000000001581&ServiceDate=20110602

I'm excited about that!! The show is actually really entertaining...I can see how it would draw in fans of Yuna and then open them up to different aspects of skating and just how challenging it is. Even if it struggles a bit in it's time slot, maybe when other shows that have more viewers end they will turn to Kiss & Cry.
Personally, I really think figure skating can stay in the spotlight for a long time in Korea, even after Yuna retires, especially if Pyeongchang gets 2018~
Anyway, thanks to Yuna the future of skating in Korea still looks very bright to me!

Last edited:
Oh, I hope you're right, 100yen! Anytime a new group of fans is added to skating anywhere in the world, it enriches skating for everyone.

cooper

Medalist
photos & translation c/o spiccoli/ynkf english forum

yuna at korean university..

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7808/capture1mt.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5142/capture2sj.jpg
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9074/capture3u.jpg

reports said that she's still training at Taereung ice rink in korea and she will be flying to los angeles after the 2018 bid... she will be in Togo, Africa for the presentation of pyeongchang before the final announcement in durban south africa in july 6...then she will prepare for her ice show in august with pchan, kurt browning, stephane lambiel, and more.. lastly, she will go back to LA for preparation of her new programs next season..

i guess she will continue competing.. :)

camion

On the Ice
^Thanks!

Can't wait to see her new programs! :)

Good to see Yu-Na enjoy some normalcy in her life. I am so jealous of her small face :eek::