Yuna Kim | Page 117 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

You met Diana twice? Wow! That is so cool. Was she as charismatic in person as she seemed from pictures and TV coverage?

I'm glad to hear that YuNa has an easier time with the press than poor Diana had. As the last few weeks have certainly proved, the British press is famous for its invasiveness and its roughness. But though press coverage for YuNa may be more admiring and positive, it's certainly equally intense, if not more so. YuNa has her hands full, I imagine! Yet she bears the drawbacks of her fame with the same grace with which she accepts the benefits.

Additionally, despite Diana's truly wonderful common touch and empathy (for example she may have been the first public person in Britain to hug AIDS sufferers--and this was at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic in the early 1980s), she was a bit of what we call in skating a head case. YuNa doesn't seem to have that trait.

You can see why I made the comparison, though. Both young women are catnip for reporters and television cameras! It can't be an easy life, and it must take a huge amount of energy.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You met Diana twice? Wow! That is so cool. Was she as charismatic in person as she seemed from pictures and TV coverage?

I'm glad to hear that YuNa has an easier time with the press than poor Diana had. As the last few weeks have certainly proved, the British press is famous for its invasiveness and its roughness. But though press coverage for YuNa may be more admiring and positive, it's certainly equally intense, if not more so. YuNa has her hands full, I imagine! Yet she bears the drawbacks of her fame with the same grace with which she accepts the benefits.

Additionally, despite Diana's truly wonderful common touch and empathy (for example she may have been the first public person in Britain to hug AIDS sufferers--and this was at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic in the early 1980s), she was a bit of what we call in skating a head case. YuNa doesn't seem to have that trait.

You can see why I made the comparison, though. Both young women are catnip for reporters and television cameras! It can't be an easy life, and it must take a huge amount of energy.

I 'met' Diana twice in the 90s and she was absolutely gorgeous in person and she is one of those people I'd describe who lit up the room when she walks in. I do believe Yuna has been described similar by other journalist and people who met her... and having went to her show and sat through her Q&As, I do sense she certain got 'it' too :)

Diana was the formal president of Royal Academy of Music in London, and she had her own VIP box in the concert hall, I sat opposite her once in the other box area, During intrim, I waved to her and nodded, to my astonishment she waved, smiled and nodded back, then I was totally star struck for life. (Back then, most of Pacific Asian people in London were students, works in embassies/suits or work or own restaurants, and she has always shown compassion for minority populations back then which is something I found quite touching about her.) The other time was at a Gallery Show opening where she didn't stay very long, she was pretty much surrounded by crazy photographers. Actually meeting royals is nothing special, I have even shook hands with a few (London is one of those places where you do bump into various famous people all the time and occasionally get introduced, you definitely develop tolerance for the 'famed' and learnt to ignore them), but I had always been quite taken by Diana and will never forget her, and she has the most gorgeous crop of blonde hair I have ever seen. Really, they are a work of art by it itself. She is also very tall and wear some gorgeous heels which makes her presence even more impressive.

Yes the British press is interesting, they can really cover the entire spectrum, from the very best to the worst. It is great among the most liberal media environment still around, with undiluted unmonopolised valuable unique points of views, but what are the cost of liberty? Apparently Paparazzi is banned in Korea, that certainly helped.

Olympia, I can see why you made the comparison - in a way it is totally flattering because Diana really is so well love by the people (and earnt her love), but given the tragic circumstances how it went horribly wrong in the end. I'd love Yuna carve out a space for herself, and may be in the future other people would want to be compared to her, like I want to be like <insert tag> Yuna from Korea ;P

Last edited:
What a lovely story, os168. Thanks!

I think YuNa will be such a role model going forward. It's obvious that she takes seriously her public position, and she wants to use it to do good.

I'll always have a soft spot for Diana. As I said earlier, she was one of the first public figures not just to touch people with AIDS but to hug them. At that time, the early 1980s, AIDS was just taking hold as a disease, and many people were sure that it was as contagious as the flu. There was a lot of fear, and in some areas even hysteria. When American student Ryan White was revealed to have AIDS, which he got at an early age because he was a hemophiliac, his school officials wouldn't let him use the same water fountain as the rest of the school. And this young woman, Diana, was going into hospitals and hugging AIDS patients. And she didn't behave like that on instructions from the royal family. In those days, royals weren't expected to touch people at all. This behavior was all Diana. Talk about a role model. She behaved this welcoming way to all sorts and conditions of people, in many countries, and she also raised her sons to pay attention to people who weren't at the top rung of the ladder. I'd say she left a pretty good mark in the world, though as you say, I wouldn't wish her fate on anyone.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What a lovely story, os168. Thanks!

I think YuNa will be such a role model going forward. It's obvious that she takes seriously her public position, and she wants to use it to do good.

I'll always have a soft spot for Diana. As I said earlier, she was one of the first public figures not just to touch people with AIDS but to hug them. At that time, the early 1980s, AIDS was just taking hold as a disease, and many people were sure that it was as contagious as the flu. There was a lot of fear, and in some areas even hysteria. When American student Ryan White was revealed to have AIDS, which he got at an early age because he was a hemophiliac, his school officials wouldn't let him use the same water fountain as the rest of the school. And this young woman, Diana, was going into hospitals and hugging AIDS patients. And she didn't behave like that on instructions from the royal family. In those days, royals weren't expected to touch people at all. This behavior was all Diana. Talk about a role model. She behaved this welcoming way to all sorts and conditions of people, in many countries, and she also raised her sons to pay attention to people who weren't at the top rung of the ladder. I'd say she left a pretty good mark in the world, though as you say, I wouldn't wish her fate on anyone.

May be Royal family is unaware of it, but as much of a thorn Diana is to the Royal family (Her popularity almost eclipse the Queen at some point, and some may even argue, she had), her greatest contribution was how she brought royals closer to the people than ever through her various charity and social activities, including breaking down many taboos like the example you have stated. She made the Royals more socially relevant than ever through her high profile, and appreciated not just by the privileged few. Royals in this country do 'duties' but rarely do we see someone champion important new causes as much as she has put forward. (unless you count Charles with his 'organic' farming)

It is wonderful to see her charitable values passed down to her fabulous 2 boys to really ensure the future legacy of the Royal in this country (I happen to like them and think it is what gives England its unique character). There had been a growing anti monarchist feeling for a while in the 90s, but the resentment died down through her tragic passing and everyone want best for her two boys. It helped when the young Prince William looked so much like his mum, it is heart breaking really. Nobody will state this publicly but that is what most are saying behind close doors. And now here we are, we have Princess Kate now... hmmm~~~

------------

To bring it back to Yuna. It can be quite tiresome to be a 'role model' for anyone, and in a way I don't wish it on anybody as flattering as it may sound.

It might be easier just forget about the tags, and concentrate on what she love, what makes her happy and what she is good at. She need to look after her own general well being if a long run is what she intend. I can only imagine skating must have felt at times like a job, a burden, especially after realising her Olympic Gold dream, but it is also what opened doors for her, and open other people's heart to her. So as long as she stick with what she does best and pace herself as a matter of necessity, she really should have a fabulous future ahead.

Actually, I think her great future is already guaranteed with her assisting/securing the PC bid, because in a way, it means her Olympic legacy lives on in Korea (the structure and foundation for an Olympic standard skating rink and wonderful facilities for other winter sports) ; the question is how much more brighter can she shine?

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
I posted something similar before, but this is more recent so it bears repeating. According to Forbes, Yuna Kim is among the top ten highest-paid female athletes in the world. The income figures are calculated as the last 12-month period ending July 1, 2011, so this is income during the post-Olympics year for Yuna.

http://blogs.forbes.com/kurtbadenhausen/2011/08/01/the-highest-paid-female-athletes/

The list is dominated by tennis athletes. She's the only figure skater in the top ten.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Five lady champions who excel in charity...
http://www.youtube.com/user/TRACESPORTSENG#p/u/7/G3UFcq2kXwQ

I don't know how correct this list is... anyway Yuna is one of them.
What's most surprising is that Nadia Comaneci is in there too. How can someone like her be any more beautiful, being a big donator/giver?

I saw some posters comparing Nadia and Yuna in other thread. I think there are reasons that certain athletes like Cathy Freeman and Nadia were such sensation - it's not just about their win or talent but what people wanted to see in them - and now they prove they are deserving champions in many ways. Glad that Yuna seems to be going the way.:)

Wow! What a great list to be on. I'm pleased about all five ladies. How lovely to see Cathy Freeman on there; I hadn't heard anything about her since the Sydney Games. I always admired her hugely. And Nadia--she certainly has turned out well, hasn't she? For her to be active in charity at this point in her life is especially impressive, because it shows that she does this even when the spotlight is turned off.

And YuNa is impressive in the other direction: how hard it must be to take time for charity in the middle of such a busy and demanding sports career, and how generous it is to think of others when it would be so easy to become completely absorbed with one's own goals and training requirements. I'm proud to be a fan of hers.

parma

On the Ice
The same time of the week brought another episode of Yuna's skating reality show.

There is only one more episode left! It was a fun show, certainly so for those who followed it over the last three months.

Wow; that's pretty impressive. What a lovely gesture.

It's great to think that there's at least one country in the world where skating is just about the biggest thing around.

Lilith11

On the Ice
I read that Arirang, which Yu-na will perform at tonight for us east-coasters, will be extended to 3 and a half minutes! Yay! :D

parma

On the Ice
Just got back from Yuna's All That Skate show. It was one seriously entertaining show. The best show in my memory, topping any ice shows I saw before, including Yuna's own shows. Unbelievable lineup. The production quality was extremely high.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Wow!!! Thank you so much for the videos!

I love this Arirang program soooo much! I really hope Yu-Na keeps it as her LP for at least one more season. The choreography that was changed is a big improvement from Worlds, which I already thought was absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see the "official" video for a more detailed look. I wonder how many people in the audience were moved to tears from that performance :)