Yuna Kim | Page 118 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

prettykeys

Medalist
Ooooooohhhhh, I'm going to have to watch the different programs....but! I will say that I still think the Worlds rendition of Arirang was better. :eek:: I loved that performance.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Wow!!! Thank you so much for the videos!

I love this Arirang program soooo much! I really hope Yu-Na keeps it as her LP for at least one more season. The choreography that was changed is a big improvement from Worlds, which I already thought was absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see the "official" video for a more detailed look. I wonder how many people in the audience were moved to tears from that performance :)

It would be such a shame if she didn't keep Arirang as her LP for next season... and it'd be kind of fitting seeing as Korea just won the Olympic bid. The ina bauer in the beginning really was just gorgeous <3 Hopefully, Wilson and Yu-na can find a way to keep those choreographic elements while incorporating the jumps and competitive elements *crossing finger*

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
Kim may skip skating events for 12 months

Korean figure skating icon Kim Yu-na said she has not decided whether to compete at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships next year.

After finishing her ice show, Samsung Galaxy-Hauzen All That Skate Summer 2011, at the Olympic Gymnasium in southern Seoul on Monday, Kim told reporters that she has not made up her mind on whether to participate at the Worlds, which start in March in Nice, France.

“Nothing is confirmed,” Kim said.

If she decides not to take part, Kim will miss almost a year of competitive skating as she is already set to skip the 2011-2012 ISU Grand Prix series from October to December.

After taking the silver medal at this year’s World Championships in April, the 20-year-old announced that she would not feature in the Grand Prix series because she needs to focus on her role as an honorary ambassador for the Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic bidding committee.

Kim also missed the Grand Prix last season. After clinching the gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada, she decided not to participate at the Grand Prix citing a need for rest, but she did make it to this year’s Worlds in Moscow.

When asked about her future plans, Kim said she will go to the United States in a few weeks to train.

Figure skating pundits say this would give Kim enough time to develop a new program for the Worlds. For this year’s event, she needed only several months of preparation after starting in October and still managed to finish with a silver medal.

Kim, the 2009 world champion, has fallen short against Japanese figure skaters in the last two editions of the World Championships. In 2010, she finished second behind Mao Asada, while this year, she came runner up again after Miki Ando earned 1.29 points more to claim the gold with 195.79 points.

Kim said her best memory of this year was helping the alpine town of Pyeongchang win its bid to secure the Winter Games.

“Last year, I had many special moments and good results,” she said. “But if I had to pick one, it would be the moment when Pyeongchang won the Olympic bid.”

Kim was one of eight representatives who made the final presentation to International Olympic Committee (IOC) members in Durban, South Africa, last month.

“I got very tired, but many people helped me to get back on my feet,” said Kim, who reportedly came down with mild flu symptoms on the flight home and was said to be exhausted. “Sometimes I felt fatigued, but I also felt proud of what we’d accomplished.”

Kim will also serve as the global honorary ambassador for the Pyeongchang Special Olympic Winter Games, which will be held in 2013. She will be officially appointed tomorrow by the event’s organizing committee and Special Olympics International (SOI).

The biannual event for children and adults with intellectual disabilities will be held from Jan. 26 to Feb. 6 in Pyeongchang next year. Kim will join other global ambassadors like swimming star Michael Phelps and retired NBA star Yao Ming to promote the event.

By Joo Kyung-don [[email protected]]

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2940288

Thanks for the report. I'll miss her, of course, if she chooses not to compete, but this girl definitely needs to rest a bit. I don't think we can possibly imagine the demands on her time and energy. She's got so much on her plate: the skating is a full-time job, but so is everything she does for the Olympic movement, Korea in general, and any U.N. stuff. She does all this, and she's not even old enough to order a drink in California! If she wants to take a year off, or even to move on and skate just in shows, so be it. I do hope she comes back for next year's fun, but I'll support whatever she chooses to do.

cooper

Medalist
whatever Yuna chooses I will support her.. after all she's doing everything for this sport to survive in her home country, there are so many things she wanted to do and obligations from everywhere..but I hope the Korean fed(like what they did in 2010 worlds) and the fans will not pressure her to compete.. :disapp:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't expect to see yu-na return this upcoming season at all, but I don't picture her retiring either. She will probably come back for 2014, and skate at least partial seasons up until then.

jatale

On the Ice
At the latest, I suppose that Yuna could wait to compete again until the 2013 Grand Prix series. She would need to confirm that she is still competitive with the new bunch of skaters prepping for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games. If she skated in the 2012 GP that would give her more time to train and tweak her skating to the optimal level for the 2013/Olympic competitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgC8635f6ls&feature=player_embedded#!

This is awesome. What a welcome message for Yuna, including messages from Nadia Comaneci and Michelle Kwan!

Amazing! What a heartwarming and exciting tape. How great to see Bart Connor and Nadia Comaneci, and what a wonderful little speech by Michelle. How nice of them, and Tim Shriver, to make a special little moment to mark YuNa's start-up.

Whenever we talk about the influence of sport, we have to take into account that it's one more way of bringing people throughout the world together, and for that I'm always grateful. There are so many factors that drive us apart, that anything with the possibility of giving us common goals and bonds should be welcomed and supported.

Thanks, YunaBliss. I never would have known of the existence of this tape if not for your link.

cooper

Medalist
http://happybean.naver.com/together/HappylogTidingsView.nhn?hlg_artcl_no=123461399314

translation..

Sua is a 10 year old girl with brain tumor. she was a figure skater and had a dream of being a wonderful figure skater like Yuna. So, her supporters tried to make contact with All That Sports, Yuna’s agency, hoping Sua could meet Yuna. But, Yuna couldn’t come to meet her becuase of Pyeongchang’s bid schedules. The event for Sua seemed to end in failure. But, one day, one package was sent to Sua at the hospital. They were a white pair of skating boots with Yuna’s autograph and her cheering message for Sua. Sua loved them so much and tried to read Yuna’s messages even if she was too sick to express her feelings. she was so happy that she could’t take her eyes off the white skate boots.

sad and inspiring.. ..:(

parma

On the Ice
Yuna left Seoul to LA just now. In her interview with Korean news media, she said although she trained during her stay in Korea it wasn't enough for her to decide she is physically in an adequate shape for the upcoming worlds. She said she is not sure for now whether she will be in for worlds, and she will find out in LA whether she will be able to get herself back in shape for the competition when she goes through more intense training sessions.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yuna left Seoul to LA just now. In her interview with Korean news media, she said although she trained during her stay in Korea it wasn't enough for her to decide she is physically in an adequate shape for the upcoming worlds. She said she is not sure for now whether she will be in for worlds, and she will find out in LA whether she will be able to get herself back in shape for the competition when she goes through more intense training sessions.

i have no doubt she could get into physical shape easily, she looks very fit and has boundless talent with her jumps. i think the better question is if she can find the motivation to compete at peak level for this season.