Yuna Kim | Page 153 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Agreed. Long Live the Queen of Figure Skating.
I already miss seeing her skate competitively.

Me too. I could rewatch most of her programs any day and they still have the same beautiful effect on me as when I first watched them. :love:

Being an ambassador is cool and all, but does anyone know what her long term plans are? Does she want to be part of Olympic committee? Judge? Coach?

Also, this was posted on NBC (http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...ng-olympics-2018-ambassador-figure-skating/):

First of all, I’m delighted to hear about Yuna being appointed as an ambassador. And I’m also very stunned to read the comment above. As a federation, how could KSU not protect Yuna’s rights to be judged fairly? Sure, they are not the major force in figure skating, but they can still try their best, right? I mean, if Gracie was as massively talented as Yuna, and she was treated the way Yuna was treated at Sochi, US Figure skating would have already appealed to ISU and IOC right there and then on Feb 20, 2014 – and do everything in their power to reveal the scores/records & find any evidence of flaws or bias in judging. I mean I’m thinking KSU doesn’t really comprehend how miraculous it is to have such a legendary athlete. I’m almost jealous that Yuna is Korean. Also, as an American, I’m actually ashamed, surprised, and disappointed that our very own “experts” like Scott & Tara would be overly supportive of the Sochi results. I mean, if Yuna was from U.S., they would have been outraged by the result.

So glad American fans know whats up, too. Sad though how right they are. :(

Do you think the bold part is true?

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Here's why I miss her: I always think to myself that the reason we call her "Queen Yuna" isn't just her artistic supremacy and technical prowess, but also how she carries herself. She is regal and serene, but never the kind to stomp around and insist on her right to anything or throw her figurative weight around. One does not think she's shouting "off with her head!" like the demented queen in Alice in Wonderland. Yuna seems to understand her responsibility to her sport, her country and her fans, and conducts herself accordingly. Looking at the Sochi flower ceremony again, she seemed subdued but graceful in "defeat" (it's a silver medal folks!), and even before she stepped onto the ice, she waved to the cameras and seemed to just take it all in. At the actual medal ceremony the next night, she was all smiles and when she got her medal, she didn't take it off immediately like other runners-up who thought they were slighted, she kissed her silver medal and held it up to the crowd. It's a sign that someone was brought up with good breeding, and even if the results don't go their way, they accept them with grace and understand it's not the end of the world. Yuna seems to understand, through her outreach and philanthropy, how to handle a situation.

I confess that few days go by when I don't watch at least one of her programs. Lately I've been rewatching her Sochi FS since it's a thing of beauty, results be damned, although my all-time faves remain her 2010 OG and 2013 W skates.

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
Here's why I miss her: I always think to myself that the reason we call her "Queen Yuna" isn't just her artistic supremacy and technical prowess, but also how she carries herself. She is regal and serene, but never the kind to stomp around and insist on her right to anything or throw her figurative weight around. One does not think she's shouting "off with her head!" like the demented queen in Alice in Wonderland. Yuna seems to understand her responsibility to her sport, her country and her fans, and conducts herself accordingly. Looking at the Sochi flower ceremony again, she seemed subdued but graceful in "defeat" (it's a silver medal folks!), and even before she stepped onto the ice, she waved to the cameras and seemed to just take it all in. At the actual medal ceremony the next night, she was all smiles and when she got her medal, she didn't take it off immediately like other runners-up who thought they were slighted, she kissed her silver medal and held it up to the crowd. It's a sign that someone was brought up with good breeding, and even if the results don't go their way, they accept them with grace and understand it's not the end of the world. Yuna seems to understand, through her outreach and philanthropy, how to handle a situation.

I confess that few days go by when I don't watch at least one of her programs. Lately I've been rewatching her Sochi FS since it's a thing of beauty, results be damned, although my all-time faves remain her 2010 OG and 2013 W skates.

maybe because yuna is satisfied of what she achieved.. i mean she won everything.. and she's the type who doesn't boast her accomplishments.. not even trying to prop her 3-3's in her career and to the media..

i agree with some of her fans.. that she's like a miracle.. she survived in a sport that needs a strong fed to keep up.. i find it hilarious when some are saying that maybe her korean sponsors and orser's reputation (as if at that time orser has a reputation of a coach, after all he was just starting, compared to frank caroll who has the experience) that helped her with getting high GOE's... LOL.. last time i checked samsung sponsored an ISU event was what.. china? and she only competed over there once in the grand prix..hyundai for worlds 2011..(and yet didn't get the PCS..) and KSU never proposed anything that benefited yuna in ISU.. not.a.single.one.. yuna had to skate within the rules.. never complain about it...

and still managed to get in the podium every single time...

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Why Yuna is the Queen, because she has the ability to stir up the entire world to speak for her, with just a single, slight smile (Sochi scandal). that's the power of a real Queen.
And this is the Queen's quality at 17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBrBZGweV0
I was going through all girls' and boys' programs and ex this season, then I went back to watch Yuna at 17, and ..... she is the Queen.....

Last edited:

Mangomango

On the Ice
Now that we are well in to the Grand Prix series, I feel that if there is just one thing Yuna OWNED, it is her step sequence.
It is so graceful and well-integrated in to the programme. Not a single turn or loop looked ugly and awkward.

Nowadays, even our "top" skaters have terrible step sequences.
They swing their arms around like helicopters, make jarring movements on the ice without understanding that edgework in figure skating is what shows how much control they have on the ice. They seem to think "oh step sequences are compulsory, so let's put some random movements and a lot of loops so that it looks hard".
All that the judges care about now is how many triples a competitor can land in a competition, and PCS is given according to disgusting facial expressions and dramatic gestures that has absolutely no relation to the music.

I feel like we're losing the meaning of a "quality skate" now that Yuna, Mao and Carolina are gone, and I feel this most strongly when I watch the three ladies' skate.
How hilarious it was to listen to the commentator say that Elena Radionova has controlled edges during Skate America. Don't get me wrong; she's a lovely girl but she does NOT have controlled edges. Get your poop together, commentators.

BounceAround

On the Ice
The many poor music choices this season have reminded me of how good Yuna's music selections always were. I often listen to her program music while I'm doing homework :).

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Watched the whole ladies FS broadcast of Russian GP, and could not but think of Yuna... :bow:

It's like watching post-Jordan NBA, until Kobe/LeBron finally came along.

lyndichee

Medalist
The many poor music choices this season have reminded me of how good Yuna's music selections always were. I often listen to her program music while I'm doing homework :).

I wish I could do the same but her skating added so much beauty, meaning and emotion to the song that I get distracted now when I hear it haha.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

OMG same! And Yuna's off the chart musicality and performance make it even better. Watching this entire grand prix (ladies) makes me miss her more.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

I couldn't have said it better. :points:

MiRé

Match Penalty
unsure how credible this imformation is but Yuna is supposedly training 3 times a week in Taereung..................... Some say it's because she's helping other young koreans, and some say is to prepare for an ice show....... Either way, the Queen is on the ice :cheer2:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
unsure how credible this imformation is but Yuna is supposedly training 3 times a week in Taereung..................... Some say it's because she's helping other young koreans, and some say is to prepare for an ice show....... Either way, the Queen is on the ice :cheer2:

Yepp she's been coaching younger skaters, her neverending dedication is so inspiring, maybe one day we'll see her sitting in the K&C at the Olympics

cooper

Medalist

or to continue to be in good form.. of course she's retired.. but the possibility of her competing in her home country is difficult to resist.. i'm not saying that she will.. but the thought is there for some people..

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
or to continue to be in good form.. of course she's retired.. but the possibility of her competing in her home country is difficult to resist.. i'm not saying that she will.. but the thought is there for some people..

Nah, I don't think she will compete in 2018. Definitely not. She really has had enough of the ISU BS, I think.

Oh, and here is some really amazing fanart!
http://cfile234.uf.daum.net/image/242E8A3752B882CE13D89F
https://41.media.tumblr.com/9020b0a915792f77d92097baa6075efd/tumblr_n1k4t4EYmS1sujyd2o1_500.png

cooper

Medalist
Nah, I don't think she will compete in 2018. Definitely not. She really has had enough of the ISU BS, I think.

Oh, and here is some really amazing fanart!
http://cfile234.uf.daum.net/image/242E8A3752B882CE13D89F
https://41.media.tumblr.com/9020b0a915792f77d92097baa6075efd/tumblr_n1k4t4EYmS1sujyd2o1_500.png

but imagine if she will.. it will definitely bring the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..

after the asian games fiasco which the ticket sales/attendance were horrendous..

by the way i'm not in favor of yuna competing again especially if she's pushed by her own fed/pyeongchang committee to compete.. and i know her fans are not in favor of that as well..

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
but imagine if she will.. it will definitely bring the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..

after the asian games fiasco which the ticket sales/attendance were horrendous..

by the way i'm not in favor of yuna competing again especially if she's pushed by her own fed/pyeongchang committee to compete.. and i know her fans are not in favor of that as well..

How will that bring money? And to who? Maybe I am a little confused since I am unaware of the Asian games fiasco, what are you trying to say? That the nations are not willing to sponsor their athletes or what?

As a Yuna fan, I would absolutely love to see her skating programs again, but I know that is not something that she wants to do.

cooper

Medalist
How will that bring money? And to who? Maybe I am a little confused since I am unaware of the Asian games fiasco, what are you trying to say? That the nations are not willing to sponsor their athletes or what?

As a Yuna fan, I would absolutely love to see her skating programs again, but I know that is not something that she wants to do.

asian games was a hot mess in busan south korea.. there were a lot of behind the scenes drama.. ticket sales in majority of the events weren't sold out with empty arenas..the locals are not interested obviously.. the mismanagement and complaints from other nations about corruption, judging scandals, etc.. officials from the other countries mentioned that it was the worst asian games ever..

heck the head of my country's delegation (philippines) was pissed during the opening ceremony because there were no buses waiting for them..

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
asian games was a hot mess in busan south korea.. there were a lot of behind the scenes drama.. ticket sales in majority of the events weren't sold out with empty arenas..the locals are not interested obviously.. the mismanagement and complaints from other nations about corruption, judging scandals, etc.. officials from the other countries mentioned that it was the worst asian games ever..

heck the head of my country's delegation (philippines) was pissed during the opening ceremony because there were no buses waiting for them..

oh goodness, I agree! The Asian Games was a hot mess. :scowl: they couldn't even do a proper opening ceremony! that sounds shallow of me but seriously, that's probably the easiest thing to execute for them! They are one of the most technically advanced countries in the world, they have amazing music artists that caters the public taste (not the k-pop ones) and athletes (hello, you got the freaking KIM YUNA in your land and other OG medalists) but nope, S. Korea just had to parade the celebrities that had nothing to do with sports and give those foreign athletes a lacklustre start of the Games.