You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
*After a competition--at the gala--Yuna spots Mao*

Yuna: Mao-chan~!!

Mao: Yuna-yaaa~~!!

:love:

tommyk75

Rinkside
One more thing on the Korean/Japanese forms of addressing people: the Korean equivalent of the Japanese honorific "-san" is "-ssi." People in professional relationships as opposed to personal ones would use this. The difference in feeling between "Yu-Na-ssi..." and "Yu-Na-yah..." is quite significant, like the difference between "Excuse me, Ms. Yu-Na" and "Hey, Yu-Na, wazzup?"

alfoalfo

Rinkside
can somebody who knows Chinese please confirm the following!!!

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2010-03-15/06404885651.shtml

this is what i got from Google Translate-

"Two days ago, the Vancouver Winter Olympics gold medal final round of dreams slip and his wife spent Shen Xue / Zhao Hongbo, revealed in his blog" After the Winter Olympics era "of the plan: hold-Star Invitational, in order to offer fans of the world's most beautiful ice-flowers slide show! And even more blood boiling is that Shen told the reporter yesterday that they will be "Shen Xue / Zhao Hongbo Flower Slip-Star Invitational" on behalf of children to invite Kim Ya-Na, Mao Asada, Plushenko and other flower-slip star landed in August this year, Beijing Capital Stadium first performance.

oh em gee...!

Nadia01

Final Flight
One more thing on the Korean/Japanese forms of addressing people: the Korean equivalent of the Japanese honorific "-san" is "-ssi." People in professional relationships as opposed to personal ones would use this. The difference in feeling between "Yu-Na-ssi..." and "Yu-Na-yah..." is quite significant, like the difference between "Excuse me, Ms. Yu-Na" and "Hey, Yu-Na, wazzup?"

Except Yuna's an athlete, so they call her Yuna-sun-soo. :-D

Nadia01

Final Flight
my theory is, if you take a sticker photo with someone, you're definitely friends :D
one can take photos with anybody, but one cant take sticker photos with just anybody.
and these two have taken sticker photos together haha :)

if Yuna calls Mao, Mao-Chan..
then Mao can call Yuna, Yuna-ya~~~~~~~~~ right?

Yes. Definitely.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
http://www.sportsseoul.com/news2/sports/sports/2010/0319/20100319101030500000000_8094813737.html

Brian Orser will be the main coach of Kwak Min-jung after the worlds.
She will go back to Korea to take mid-term after worlds in march and come back to Toronto to train with team-yuna. :love:
I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but hope this is true.

YAYY :love:! She'll be a star in no time. Gosh though, I'm going to start confusing her and Christina Gao, now that they'll be training together they'll probably become friends and they look so much alike (super skinny lol). This makes me really happy though, Kwak is so cute and with more speed I think she could really be very good. Hope she rocks it at Worlds!

Nadia01

Final Flight
Orser to be named honorary citizen of Seoul

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2010/03/181_62626.html

"We recognize Orser's contribution in winter sports and decided to name him as an honorary Seoul citizen," a city official said.

The city will present the honor to the Canadian when he visits Korea for the show "Festa on Ice 2010" from April 16 to 18.

The benefits of honorary citizenship in Seoul include VIP invitation to special city events and free entrance to city-affiliated institutions such as the Seoul Museum of Art.

Established in 1958, Seoul City has honored 607 expatriates from 90 countries who have provided distinguished services to the city or set a positive example for Seoulites.

bibi24

Final Flight

aftertherain

Record Breaker

ryoko

Rinkside
Watch this! (38 sec.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xcr8zLSmlM

Extract from documentary- I guess Kwak's coach was trying to get her say something about the practice that day

Coach: min-jung, any word for today's practice? (word for today's determination, rather- but sounds odd when translated literally)
Kwak: what?
Coach: don't come close! your face will look huge.
Kwak: (laughs)
Coach: come on! About how well you skated today. I hope you'll be able to show everything.
Kwak: today? (thinks) ... as well as Yu-na unni (laughs)
Coach: (laughs) You wish! Go and do the three jumps (may be she meant triple?)

How do you beat that cuteness! :love:
I think she should be given a gold medal for the cutest reaction at K&C zone at the olympics-
I watched a documentary of Kwak and she had pictures of Yu-na all over the room.
I bet Yu-na would be the greatest inspiration to Kwak as they train together under Orser. :rock:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Watch. Soon he'll be the Head coach for the entire Korean Figure Skating Delegation. :)

Just curious, are there other examples of a figure skating coach taking on another country's skaters? Obviously we have plenty of people going to other countries to get coaching, but I wonder if there's any examples of a "foreign" coach building up a program of another country?

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xcr8zLSmlM

Extract from documentary- I guess Kwak's coach was trying to get her say something about the practice that day

Coach: min-jung, any word for today's practice? (word for today's determination, rather- but sounds odd when translated literally)
Kwak: what?
Coach: don't come close! your face will look huge.
Kwak: (laughs)
Coach: come on! About how well you skated today. I hope you'll be able to show everything.
Kwak: today? (thinks) ... as well as Yu-na unni (laughs)
Coach: (laughs) You wish! Go and do the three jumps (may be she meant triple?)

How do you beat that cuteness! :love:
I think she should be given a gold medal for the cutest reaction at K&C zone at the olympics-
I watched a documentary of Kwak and she had pictures of Yu-na all over the room.
I bet Yu-na would be the greatest inspiration to Kwak as they train together under Orser. :rock:

I'm just falling in love with this tiny sweetheart :biggrin:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Just curious, are there other examples of a figure skating coach taking on another country's skaters? Obviously we have plenty of people going to other countries to get coaching, but I wonder if there's any examples of a "foreign" coach building up a program of another country?

I think Steuer is an example. He is not popular with the German federation, still having his coaching center in Kemnitz. He is coaching pairs from Schweiz(Morand/Dorsaz) and Ukrane(Volosozhar/Morosov), and I think more are coming. Was this what you meant?

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Well, Kwak will only be the 2nd Korean he is coaching, and he is currently coaching 2 Americans (Rippon and Gao) as well. I don't know if he has a lot of other students considering the level of his current students are pretty high and go to a lot of competitions. Chances are between Yuna, Min-Jung, Christina, and Adam at least two will have one of the same GP events next year, which would make it easier on him. Did Orser say he plans to coach more Korean skaters?

But as for an example, I know Michael Huth coaches Tomas Verner and used to coach Carolina Kostner even though he is based in Germany. I want to say Michal Brezina spends some time at his rink in Obersdorf too.

Figure88

On the Ice

Yup, Yuna-ya has a rude connotation. I wouldn't address someone this way for fear they might take offense unless I was extremely familiar with the person like if we're very good friends or family members. Yuna-sshi is much more polite, and is common if you're addressing someone you don't know very well and want to respectful like Ms.- in English or -san in Japanese.

Last edited:

aurora100

Final Flight
http://www.sportsseoul.com/news2/sports/sports/2010/0319/20100319101030500000000_8094813737.html

Brian Orser will be the main coach of Kwak Min-jung after the worlds.
She will go back to Korea to take mid-term after worlds in march and come back to Toronto to train with team-yuna. :love:
I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but hope this is true.

I don't think this is 100% reliable. It doesn't have a direct quote from Orser. It has a quote from Kwak's mom who says in Korean the "Eh-jeong " is that Orser will coach Kwan full time after the Worlds. "Eh-jeong" means, an "expection" or a "the plan", not quite 100% certain. This sounds promising but on you tube there is a video of interview with Orser, at the airport when he returned from a short visit to Korea following the Olympics. In it, he goes at lengths to say it has not been decided that he would coach Kwak. Only that he would work with her until the Worlds. There is a possibility that the mom is pushing the possibilities or her desire to have Kwak following in Yuna's footsteps. She talks about everything else Kwak is doing with Yuna (including going to karaoke etc.).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think this is 100% reliable. It doesn't have a direct quote from Orser. It has a quote from Kwak's mom who says in Korean the "Eh-jeong " is that Orser will coach Kwan full time after the Worlds. "Eh-jeong" means, an "expection" or a "the plan", not quite 100% certain. This sounds promising but on you tube there is a video of interview with Orser, at the airport when he returned from a short visit to Korea following the Olympics. In it, he goes at lengths to say it has not been decided that he would coach Kwak. Only that he would work with her until the Worlds. There is a possibility that the mom is pushing the possibilities or her desire to have Kwak following in Yuna's footsteps. She talks about everything else Kwak is doing with Yuna (including going to karaoke etc.).

Do you have that video link? I heard he was interested in coaching more skaters from Korea in general, not just specifically Kwak though at the present she would be the most logical Korean skater for him to coach. Kwak doesn't have a coach right now does she?

aurora100

Final Flight
Do you have that video link? I heard he was interested in coaching more skaters from Korea in general, not just specifically Kwak though at the present she would be the most logical Korean skater for him to coach. Kwak doesn't have a coach right now does she?

Here is the link to the you tube video. It's in Korean , except when Brian is talking about Yuna at first and then about Kwak later. When Brian says "she is a special talent" right after the clip from Kwak, he is talking about Kwak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO7poJvMN54