Yuna Kim | Page 162 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

yyyskate

Record Breaker
She also was impressed by their performances. :)

Yuna also impressed by the performances of Korean youngsters during GP! that is so nice to hear.:eek:: She really seems like a bigger sister to all the Korean youngsters.:)
I hope Yuna can watch them live (not through TV) at 4CC and perhaps even worlds:biggrin:

Warwick360

Medalist
Yuna appears in So Youn's fluff to support her VIDEO

Her visual is to die for: long limbs, small head, pale skin, pretty face :love:

Yuna, we miss you :cry:

http://i.imgur.com/3uuAnRc.jpg

I agree, physically it's like she was made for FS, just like Michael Phelps was made for swimming. It's amazing how Yuna didn't have the growth spurt problem (or atleast she didn't show them in her programs) like most of her contemporaries did. Those long limbs simply make her spins and StSq and everything look awesome. Especially in the spins, even though she didn't have the best stretch in Biellmann for example, her length of the leg made it look beautiful as opposed to someone like Sasha Cohen (who even though can stretch like no one else).

cooper

Medalist
I agree, physically it's like she was made for FS, just like Michael Phelps was made for swimming. It's amazing how Yuna didn't have the growth spurt problem (or atleast she didn't show them in her programs) like most of her contemporaries did. Those long limbs simply make her spins and StSq and everything look awesome. Especially in the spins, even though she didn't have the best stretch in Biellmann for example, her length of the leg made it look beautiful as opposed to someone like Sasha Cohen (who even though can stretch like no one else).

actually yuna had a growth spurt.. i don't know if she struggled.. but she mentioned about growth spurt in one of her interviews before.. she just basically said that she had to watch her diet because of it..

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Those long limbs simply make her spins and StSq and everything look awesome. Especially in the spins, even though she didn't have the best stretch in Biellmann for example, her length of the leg made it look beautiful as opposed to someone like Sasha Cohen (who even though can stretch like no one else).

Not sure I get this. Yuna was beautiful to look at and had the best jumps, but no skater had more beautiful positions than Sasha Cohen. Some of Yuna's positions left much to be desired--her hanging foot on her layback and her spiral, for instance. Her Biellmann was pretty average and her I-spin with the bent skating leg not the best. No one can do an I-spin like Sasha. In fact, I think no one else should be allowed to do it!

Junstella

Rinkside
Some of Yuna's positions left much to be desired--her hanging foot on her layback and her spiral, for instance.

I don't quiet agree with about the spiral. Yuna doesn't have much stretch and flexibility like Sasha, but in terms of speed and deep edge she is second to none.
This is why I don't rely on camera works...

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Not sure I get this. Yuna was beautiful to look at and had the best jumps, but no skater had more beautiful positions than Sasha Cohen. Some of Yuna's positions left much to be desired--her hanging foot on her layback and her spiral, for instance. Her Biellmann was pretty average and her I-spin with the bent skating leg not the best. No one can do an I-spin like Sasha. In fact, I think no one else should be allowed to do it!

I do agree that Sasha has the best spiral and positions. :) But Yuna's are decent IMO. Her spirals are very fast and have deep edge, something Sasha's spirals didn't have, not that I know of. Her spins look polished as well even tho she doesn't have flexibility like Yulia/Sasha/others. I know the bolded sentence is just your expression of how much you like Sasha's I-spin but still, it's not right to forbid others to do an element just because someone does it exceptionally well. That's saying no one should do Lutz because Yuna does it best.

cooper

Medalist
yuna will be a podium presenter for 2015 korean nationals.. ksu said yesterday..

korean nationals will start on jan 7, 2015..

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Yes, so excited for this!

I also agree about the speed and deep edge on Yuna's spirals -- I think they compensate for the lack of crazy flexibility. Crazy flexibility is not something I want to be seeing in figure skating 24/7 anyway, it's not gymnastics. :rolleye:

Also, Yuna's layback was actually decent especially pre-2011 season. This is no Sasha, but still not a bad position: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/90/0c/f8/900cf88eebdce1854e7647e31d744d6c.jpg
Although, compare it to Sasha's! http://www.jewoftheday.com/Ulpan/Images/Sasha Cohen.jpg Maybe my eyesight is bad, but it's not *that* much worse.

Despite not being known for flexibility, this girl has one of the best Ina Bauers I've seen! http://olympicfanatic.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/yu-na-kim2.jpg

Last edited:

sam0987

Rinkside
Yuna!!! I will see you this week in the Korean Nationals. My family will travel to South Korea from 8th Jan so, I have booked it. I am living in Perth, it is 41 degrees today. So exciting we can go to the winter from the hot summer. Also, we can see figure skating performances including Queen Yuna. :):):) Hope to get Yuna's signature.🌷🌸:p:laugh:

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
Yuna!!! I will see you this week in the Korean Nationals. My family will travel to South Korea from 8th Jan so, I have booked it. I am living in Perth, it is 41 degrees today. So exciting we can go to the winter from the hot summer. Also, we can see figure skating performances including Queen Yuna. :):):) Hope to get Yuna's signature.🌷🌸:p:laugh:

i believe her ice shows will be around april or may.. she will only be a podium presenter @ korean nationals.. meaning she will appear at the end of the competition..

nguyenghita

On the Ice
i believe her ice shows will be around april or may.. she will only be a podium presenter @ korean nationals.. meaning she will appear at the end of the competition..
For the first time ever, media and fans will go gaga over the presenter, her photos will all over the place, lol

cooper

Medalist
For the first time ever, media and fans will go gaga over the presenter, her photos will all over the place, lol

i've read that the tickets are selling fast for the last event..lol! which is funny because yuna won't be competing and she will appear only in a few minutes.. :rofl:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
i've read that the tickets are selling fast for the last event..lol! which is funny because yuna won't be competing and she will appear only in a few minutes.. :rofl:
I feel a little bad for a winner though, she/he must be the one get all the spotlight at that very moment, now it impossible :laugh:

The good side is they will have thousand of fans cheer for them, if not for Yuna's appearance the event will be falling hard, the ticket booking on interpark is not good, they hardly sell any ticket for the first 2 days

Last edited:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
English news of the Nationals, but more like Yuna's news though

Forever in spotlight. Queen's presence!

http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_View.asp?nseq=173936

And moving over to figure skating where the National Figure Skating Championship is set to take place at the Mokdong Ice Rink in Seoul,.. this week. And giving out the medals on the final day, will be 'Figure Queen' Kim Yu-na.

With 'Yu-na's Kids' competing at the national championships this week Kim Yu-na, who's as cool as the other side of the pillow will be on hand on the final day, to give out the medals to the winners. And it'll be a special moment here in the nation,.. since it'll be the first time she'll make an appearance at a domestic competition since her retirement in February. Kim Yu-na, who has long been supportive of her juniors have been visiting them once a week, to give him pointers while continuing her education.

Warwick360

Medalist

Sasha's Biellmann position although solid is not a good Biellmann to look at, atleast personally. The way her front body sticks out is just less appealing as a classic biellmann. As for Yuna's I-spin, well I just consider it to be uncomparable between the two, since yes Sasha has a better looking or shall I say an "I" looking position, yuna doesn't go for grabbing the leg, just the boots. So I just find them different and have found myself to appreciate the spin for what it is. For me THAT is the Yuna spin, even more so than the Yuna camel. :laugh:

As for the spiral, the GOEs speak for themselves. Although not great positions compared to the classic spirals of the American ladies and perhaps even shaky at times, the speed and as someone has already mentioned above, the edges are something that are missing from more skaters who may have fantastic positions.

Warwick360

Medalist
actually yuna had a growth spurt.. i don't know if she struggled.. but she mentioned about growth spurt in one of her interviews before.. she just basically said that she had to watch her diet because of it..

Yeah, that is why I was cautious to say that she didn't have problems because off ice I think in her ascending lark documentary, it was shown that she had quite a lot of problem than what most people would assume. But I was alluding to how these problems rarely even showed on ice during competitions, like in 2007 SP where she performed the way she did even with the back injury. :bow: