Page 167 of 201 FirstFirst ... 67 117 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 3008

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

Custom Title
    Ah in Korea it is a teaching assistant; takes a bit more to be a teacher than being able to do a triple lutz lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UqX6JVlevM

I found this on youtube. Patrick, S/P, Kurt, V/M, Shae Lynn, Kiiri, Sara Meir, S/Z, Stephane, Irina.

Great cast but did not see Evan.

the official teaser for the ATS Spring 2012 is also up at the official site: http://www.allthatskate.com/2012Spring/index/index.php

HOTNESS!!

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UqX6JVlevM

I found this on youtube. Patrick, S/P, Kurt, V/M, Shae Lynn, Kiiri, Sara Meir, S/Z, Stephane, Irina.

Great cast but did not see Evan.
    That's last summer's cast of Yuna's shows. I think it's just a promotional video.

^Yes. I realize that now. Thanks.

Custom Title
    She's going to do teaching work for a month? That should motivate the students! I bet it will motivate her in all kinds of ways as well. This is a young woman who's going to have some public role in the future, in her business pursuits and in charity work. If this assignment gives her extra insights into the motivations and needs of kids, who knows what inspirations it will spark in her?

By the way, notice that this thread is now up to 167 pages. That's pretty good for a skater who hasn't even competed this season. I don't think we'll ever lose interest in our YuNa.
    Last edited by Olympia; 03-17-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Thank you!

Question: When they write the names of foreign skaters in Korean, do they try to sound it out phonetically?

What about Patrick Chan? Is there a character for his last name in Korean?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Thank you!

Question: When they write the names of foreign skaters in Korean, do they try to sound it out phonetically?

What about Patrick Chan? Is there a character for his last name in Korean?
    Korean letters are alphabets. It isn't like Chinese characters.
    So, basically it is same as writing YuNa's name as YuNa Kim in English.

Custom Title
    Hmmm interesting - no dance teams for the spring show...

skating philosopher
    Korean letters are alphabets. It isn't like Chinese characters.
    So, basically it is same as writing YuNa's name as YuNa Kim in English.
    Cosmos, correct me if I'm wrong, but basically they take the sound of the name in English and than translate into the Korean alphabet right? For example, for Evan's name, the first symbol is "E" (there really isn't an a V sound) and the second group of symbols is AN. It's not an exact translation, but it gives the Korean readers the idea....

Because there aren't perfect English translations for all the Korean alphabet symbols, the Korean names that are romanticized often have variations. This is also the reason why Yu-na may also be Yeon-A, Yun-A or just Yuna. (Per Phil Hersh: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...ing-being.html)

ETA: Sounds like a good lineup!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-18-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quite a line-up! Skating royalty and the destined 2012 world champs Carolina Kostner and Patrick Chan. Too bad the neither Virtue/Moir and White/Davis could make it.

Custom Title
    No such thing as destiny lol. I really hope YuNa doesn't come back to competitive skating; i sensed at times thejoy was lost and she did it for her country. Unlike other nations, Korea seems so dependent on their 'few" national heroes. USA, Russia, Canada and all have so many athletes to look up to but the pressure on Kim is almost tragic - your value should not be on one or two athletes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Cosmos, correct me if I'm wrong, but basically they take the sound of the name in English and than translate into the Korean alphabet right? For example, for Evan's name, the first symbol is "E" (there really isn't an a V sound) and the second group of symbols is AN. It's not an exact translation, but it gives the Korean readers the idea....

Because there aren't perfect English translations for all the Korean alphabet symbols, the Korean names that are romanticized often have variations. This is also the reason why Yu-na may also be Yeon-A, Yun-A or just Yuna. (Per Phil Hersh: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...ing-being.html)

ETA: Sounds like a good lineup!
    Basically you are right. The rule is to make one-to-one correspondence in sound. I would write Evan as 이반 in Korean letters. The correspondence is E-이, V-ㅂ, A-ㅏ, N-ㄴ. But the ATS-site wrote Evan as 에반. They thought E-에 (like E in Emily).
    But, I never knew there really isn't V sound in Evan.
    Last edited by cosmos; 03-18-2012 at 11:48 PM.

skating philosopher
    Basically you are right. The rule is to make one-to-one correspondence in sound. I would write Evan as 이반 in Korean letters. The correspondence is E-이, V-ㅂ, A-ㅏ, N-ㄴ. But the ATS-site wrote Evan as 에반. They thought E-에 (like E in Emily).
    But, I never knew there really isn't V sound in Evan.
    Oh, I meant I couldn't find a "v" sound in Korean. Maybe I just missed it when I looked it up.

Page 167 of 201 FirstFirst ... 67 117 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... LastLast