Page 170 of 207 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 3091

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

Yu-Na is blessed and rich and her Catholic religion alone plus culture and likely her parents teach her to give back. I hope Yuna decides to give the proceeds of beer commercial to any drug/alcohol rehabs doing great work, if this is a problem in S. Korea. American ones are very underfunded, unless one is rich. Thank you Yu-Na for being an example to other millionaires. I am sure Yu-Na derives great satisfaction from her charities and works for good. Everyone who has extra and lots of it can sit on it, but that is a selfish, useless life. Yu-Na takes her relgion, I believe seriously, and follows the teachings of Jesus.

I used to read that Angelina Jolie would donate a million per picture to some charity usually in Africa. I hope she still does. Yu-Na if you read the baords, ignore the people who criticize you in S. Korea, and donate $$ from the beer ad. It shuts people up and they respect you more. I'll bet Yuna reads fan boards or her PR people do. We have not forgotten you in America and we never will. So many of us respect you most for your charitable nature and volunteerism. The skating changes and everyone retires. But I will remember you for your good works. I pray Yu-Na grows into an Asian Mother Theresa, changing life in her chosen countries. S. Korea is rather affluent I believe, but Yu-Na can do great things with her beauty, celebrity, money. I love to hear this. It gives people HOPE and sets example for rich who live with golden faucets (Donald Trump!) Go Yu-NA!
    Last edited by skateluvr; 06-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Wow, skateluvr, I'm moved to tears at your post. You couldn't have said it better about Yuna's outside skating works, her influence, and possibilities. I'll repeat, Go Yu-Na!

Custom Title
    I agree. It's wonderful when you see someone of privilege who's able to pay attention and respond to the needs of others. And when someone wakes up to the situation this young, it's really phenomenal. YuNa is aware of the difference she can make both by direct action and by inspiring others to join in and do what they can.

Custom Title
    There is a discussion going on over at FSUniverse.
    Apparently Yu-Na's agancy is suing a professor for libel.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.c...home|newslist1

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    There is a discussion going on over at FSUniverse.
    Apparently Yu-Na's agancy is suing a professor for libel.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.c...home|newslist1
    There's ongoing discussion here, too. At "Not About Yu-na" thread below

Kwan and Kim Might Perform Together, again - This Time for the Greater Cause

c/o RunnersHigh on FSU

http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view....20120621001000
    The Korean sports idol met Kwan as global ambassador of the Special Olympics for the mentally handicapped at a news conference on the Games, held in Seoul on Thursday.

“Nothing is determined yet on an ice show (for the closing ceremony) featuring Kwan and me, but I am positive about it,” Kim said.

“If I am with Michelle Kwan (in an ice show) for other Olympians, it will be an unforgettable experience, and if a decision is made to proceed with the show, I will prepare myself actively.”

Kwan is a two-time Olympic medalist and five-time world champion whom Kim admired as a role model. Kwan has performed in ice shows for Kim. Their last ice show was in Los Angeles in 2010.

The 32-year-old American figure skating legend works mostly as a sports diplomat.

Kwan was positive about the idea of an ice show with the 22-year-old Kim, but admitted she was concerned about her “rusty” skating form.

“We have not completed plans for closing ceremonies. But I have enjoyed performing with Yuna. I hope to do it again,” Kwan said. “I have to be honest, I have not skated since the last ice show with Kim. My blade is rusty. You take some time off from the ice, then triple jumps don’t come very easy.”
    Originally Posted by RunnersHigh
    Yuna and Michell Kwan interview on the joint ice show proposed by Kwan yesterday for the closing ceremony of PyeongChang 2013 Special Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owMDE5z0b80

You can hear Kwan's after Yuna.
    The news came up in Yuna's news thread on fsu. The reunion of two most wonderful ambassadors for the sport, Kween and Queen!

Kwan advises Kim to follow her heart

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...78_113602.html

Two-time Olympic figure skating medalist Michelle Kwan, known to be Kim Yu-na’s role model, has advised Kim to find her passion in life.

“I think she is figuring out her path as she spends time in school and learns from her colleagues and friends. She might find other interests outside of skating if she hasn’t already,” Kwan said Friday in an interview with The Korea Times. “It’s going to be difficult. But you have to do something that you love doing.”

The board member of the 2013 PyeongChang Special Olympics held media interviews at Grand Hilton Hotel in Seoul, before she wrapped up her five-day visit. At the interview, the 31-year-old encouraged Kim to move forward with the lessons that she surely learned from the sport: “Hard work, dedication, discipline, falling and getting back up.”

“She needs to figure out what she wants to do. It does help to reach out to people who need help. For example, what she is doing with this Special Olympics. I saw her picture with Ban Ki-moon. I’m sure she is involved and maybe she will get more involved when she has more time with the U.N. I think she’s on her way,” Kwan said.” “Perhaps if she continues her schooling maybe she can become Dr. Kim in the future.”

When asked about the relationship she has developed with Kim, Kwan said the first encounter was in a bathroom 12 years ago as the dumbfounded young skater was surprised to see the superstar at that time. “Over the years, I’ve gotten to know her more than that,” Kwan said. “(As) a close friend, if she needs me, I can help her.”

America’s most decorated figure skater said challenges made her stronger and taught her a great deal of valuable life lessons, pointing out that overcoming challenges is what fascinates people about the Special Olympics.

“Once you understand the spirit of the Special Olympics, it is really empowering,” Kwan said. “And the athletes, when you understand and learn that they have overcome many obstacles such as prejudice, poverty, and sometimes physical handicaps,” Kwan said. “They really change the way I see the world.”
    Not a single word of her I would ditch in this article. What an awesomeness and a class this woman is!

Custom Title
    A wonderful article! Michelle has become such an impressive woman. Much as I admire her athletic career, I'm even happier to see that her skating is just a part of a larger life. It may even turn out not to be the most significant thing she ever does.

Apparently, Yuna will have a press conference tomorrow to announce her future in competitive skating, i.e., she'll either announce retirement or continue competing. No official media sources yet, but it's coming directly from Korea, so it should be forthcoming shortly.

It's official. Yuna will return, and she will compete in Sochi!!!

Still waiting word on other competitions...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    It's official. Yuna will return, and she will compete in Sochi!!!

Still waiting word on other competitions...
    WOW! What a news indeed if it's true!
    This off season is full of surprises and never lets any skating fans in the worlds get bored!

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    WOW! What a news indeed if it's true!
    This off season is full of surprises and never lets any skating fans in the worlds get bored!
    It's true, the press conference was aired live in Korea (of course). I'm still waiting for the English Korean press to release the official statement before I post the "news" in a separate thread.

I'm shocked, astonished, and shocked. My mind was fine and made peace with her retirement a couple of months ago, and not this!!!!!!!!! I don't even know how I feel!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    It's true, the press conference was aired live in Korea (of course). I'm still waiting for the English Korean press to release the official statement before I post the "news" in a separate thread.
    Thanks a lot, Krislite!

And please do so! Those who live in North America are probably still sleeping now. I am sure they are gonna surprise to see a thread of YuNa's dropping-bombshell-like statement!

Custom Title
    A bombshell indeed. The news is now posted on a separate thread; thanks for that.

Wow, wow, wow. This is going to be some thrilling pre-Olympics season. I foresee that we at GS will be joining one another at computer screen for Sochi. Heck, some of us (depending on time zone) will be pulling all-nighters at this year's Worlds.

This is great news for skating, for fans, and for Korea. It's even great news for her competitors, because it brings attention to the discipline, and to each of them.

Page 170 of 207 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... LastLast