Page 18 of 193 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Festa on Ice 2010 cast

Yu-Na
    Dom/Shab
    Brian Joubert
    Kiira Korpi
    Patrick Chan
    Zhang/Zhang
    Tomas Verner
    Ilia Kulik
    Shae-lynn Bourne
    and more...
    :O Oh wow, looks exciting! Niiiicceee. Hmm... I wonder if Michelle Kwan will also be invited like she was in the '09 show? And this is a really REALLY far-fetched dream of mine, but I'd be really happy if Mao also skated in it lols. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    :O Oh wow, looks exciting! Niiiicceee. Hmm... I wonder if Michelle Kwan will also be invited like she was in the '09 show? And this is a really REALLY far-fetched dream of mine, but I'd be really happy if Mao also skated in it lols. XD
    That was Ice All Stars, not Festa on Ice. But it would be great if she did.

Custom Title
    Maybe MK is busy with her school works :P

What, no Johnny!

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Festa on Ice 2010 cast

Yu-Na
    Dom/Shab
    Brian Joubert
    Kiira Korpi
    Patrick Chan
    Zhang/Zhang
    Tomas Verner
    Ilia Kulik
    Shae-lynn Bourne
    and more...
    How I would love to fly to Korea this very moment. Joubert, Kulik, Verner, Z/Z and Yu-na......... To make it perfect, I would include Jeremy and Johnny from last year, but as it stands it's still a dream

Tripping on the Podium alfoalfo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CalebsMom View Post
    Okay, this is it. I promise this is my last post not related to Yuna News. Thanks again for bearing with me.
    lols i initially read it as "i promise this will be my last post" and thought, nooo! cos i like reading ur posts (ive been a long time lurker but a newbie poster )
    i thinks its only natural that we as fans will defend Yuna from statements that are rather on the harsh side of 'constructive criticism', especially if its allllwaaaays regarding the SAME complaints.
    in all seriousness, is it Yuna's fault that what she does is what the judges like? is it her fault that what she does, she does so well that the judges want to give her those marks?
    lols, yes just blame her for being too good at what she does

Festa on Ice 2010 cast

Yu-Na
    Dom/Shab
    Brian Joubert
    Kiira Korpi
    Patrick Chan
    Zhang/Zhang
    Tomas Verner
    Ilia Kulik
    Shae-lynn Bourne
    and more...
    wow! what a cast! thanks for sharing ehdtkqorl123
    awww.. no Michelle Kwan.. but i know im asking for too much lols.

you're not alone there Lilith11, i too want to see Mao and Yuna in an ice show, and i strongly believe it will happen sooner or later.. probably the latter.

OT - why doesnt Yuna get invited to Skate Canada and NHK Trophy?

Anyway, not sure if this has been posted:

Olympians Dominate February Athlete of the Month Award
    9 March 2010 (Source)

Olympic gold-medal winners Shaun White of the United States and Kim Yu Na of South Korea were named the United States Sports Academy’s February Athletes of the Month.

There were many multiple gold-medal winners at the Vancouver Games, but White and Yu Na, each of whom competed in only one event, dominated their only competitions like few others. Considering their ages (White is 23 and Yu Na is 19), they might be grabbing headlines for years to come.

Yu Na, the reigning world champion, had one of the best performances in the history of the sport. Her total of 228.56 points shattered her career-best and world record by 18 points to become the first South Korean to win a figure skating medal. South Korea is so enamored by her performance that it has commissioned a coin in her honor.

The runner-up in the women’s vote was United States skier Lindsey Vonn, who won a gold medal in the women’s downhill and added a bronze medal in the Super G.Athlete of the Month winners are eligible to be included in the Academy’s Athlete of the Year ballot at the end of the year.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfoalfo View Post
    OT - why doesnt Yuna get invited to Skate Canada and NHK Trophy?
    Yu-na made her senior debut at SC. She has never been there since.

It mostly has to do with seeding The top three ISU-ranked skaters (or maybe it has to do with World results. Actually, I think it has to do with World results) don't meet each other until the GPF (if all goes well) to make it more interesting. That's why Mao and Yu-na were never assigned the same Grand Prixs until last year, when Mao slipped into 4th at Worlds. In 08-09, Miki was with Yu-na in COC and SA, but in Grand Prixs without her all 09-10 because she was ranked 3rd at Worlds. ISU is very money-savvy. They know that putting Miki or Mao in NHK Trophy, over Yu-na, will garner more viewers and money (for obvious reasons). Same goes with SC and Joannie. If Korea had a Grand Prix, Yu-na would always be there. It also has to do with personal requests. Mao asked that she be put in Rostelecom because of TAT's health issues. This was a very simplistic overview of Grand Prix assignment though. There's probably more to it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    As far as I know, she's in Toronto.

JK doesn't have a coach right now, and I read a rumor that she may be asking Orser to be her coach, but who knows...?
    This is an interesting development. In listening to Orser speak at the Toronto airport about MJK. He said it was not decided whether he would coach MJK or not but that he would help her until the Worlds. He sounded very undecided about taking her. He said MJK is a talent. But I wonder if Orser is being pressured to take MJK. He coaches US skater Christina Gao who is very talented. And Gao and Kwak would be competitors. Wonder what factor this would have. Another thing that is playing in mind and a total speculation on my part is whether this is a prelude to Yuna retiring after the worlds and Korean federation wanting to make sure they place well for next year. I believe Yuna will retire after the Worlds. And I think she will come back for Sochi in two years after she rests and rejuvenates her competitive fire.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Um, why not? I think there is more than one way a spiral can be done beautifully. Michelle and Sasha had very nice spirals in different ways (personally I've gotta disagree with CalebsMom, I thought Sasha's spirals beat out Michelle's. Just exquisite, really.)

Disagree.

The "visual appeal", to me, includes both form and motion.

I agree. But good positions paired with poor speed/edging ruins the spiral for me, too.

Well, I'd give YuNa decent positions and good speed/edges, so +1-1.5 GoE. I'd give Michelle's 2 GoE; Sasha and Mao 2-2.5 GoE.

Apparently, many others disagree.

Thanks for dichotomizing the issue as "zizi for beauty, all others who disagree against beauty". The ISU doesn't seem to share your narrow opinion on what is beautiful in Figure Skating. I hope bringing it up in the YuNa News thread will succeed in changing YuNa fans' and the ISU's minds.
    ITA

Anyone who underestimates and underappreciates the importance of speed and coverage in figure skating should turn the channel and watch Ball Room dance or one of those dance shows that are popular. Millions can have beautiful dance poses, standing still, it's doing it while flying across the ice on the skates, is what makes figure skating an Olympic sport, a crown jewel of Winter Olympics.

PS; Yuna has those beautiful dance poses, while flying across the ice from one end to the other (look at the fan cam you tube videos taken from nose bleeding seats at the 2010 olympics)... that's why she got 228 and 17 plus GOE points.... she deserved every point.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    All's fair in love + lovemore.

ETA: There's something about the way Sasha got into her positions that really had a effect on me. She didn't just raise her leg or push her arms out...she did this "BAM!" move that made it really dramatic. I guess that's not a figure skating thing, but it was like, whoa. (TO ME)
    well said. ITA

On the other hand, Kwan would build up the pose (her beautiful spiral and astonishing edge change) by building up a speed and than "release it" sorry cant think of a apt word for it...but it was dramatic when she did it and such a highlight and the crowd would go wile and I loved it every time too. Yuna does a bit like Kwan but not quite like Kwan for sure.. But Yuna spirals are still a highlight going by the crowd reaction, they know it's one of the highlights.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    What a cast ! I totally want to see that!
    Why not Shen and Zhao? Are they working on a family already?

Tripping on the Podium alfoalfo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Yu-na made her senior debut at SC. She has never been there since.

It mostly has to do with seeding The top three ISU-ranked skaters (or maybe it has to do with World results. Actually, I think it has to do with World results) don't meet each other until the GPF (if all goes well) to make it more interesting. That's why Mao and Yu-na were never assigned the same Grand Prixs until last year, when Mao slipped into 4th at Worlds. In 08-09, Miki was with Yu-na in COC and SA, but in Grand Prixs without her all 09-10 because she was ranked 3rd at Worlds. ISU is very money-savvy. They know that putting Miki or Mao in NHK Trophy, over Yu-na, will garner more viewers and money (for obvious reasons). Same goes with SC and Joannie. If Korea had a Grand Prix, Yu-na would always be there. It also has to do with personal requests. Mao asked that she be put in Rostelecom because of TAT's health issues. This was a very simplistic overview of Grand Prix assignment though. There's probably more to it.
    thanks dlgpffps for explaining that, now i think i get the gist of it :D
    wow TEB had it good huh?

Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    ITA

Anyone who underestimates and underappreciates the importance of speed and coverage in figure skating should turn the channel and watch Ball Room dance or one of those dance shows that are popular. Millions can have beautiful dance poses, standing still, it's doing it while flying across the ice on the skates, is what makes figure skating an Olympic sport, a crown jewel of Winter Olympics.

PS; Yuna has those beautiful dance poses, while flying across the ice from one end to the other (look at the fan cam you tube videos taken from nose bleeding seats at the 2010 olympics)... that's why she got 228 and 17 plus GOE points.... she deserved every point.
    ITA! and if anyone thinks it's all about jumping *coughelviscough*, go watch competitive trampoline jumping.. now those athletes take jumping to the next level, :sheesh:

Here's the link to the vid you mentioned:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8A7ptPTH_w

i think the head camera person in charge of all the camera shots/angles should have one placed near the back of the stadium in view of the whole rink just to give the viewers a very precise view of just how far and high she jumps.. flies.

Custom Title
    Festa on Ice 2010 cast

Yu-Na
    Dom/Shab
    Brian Joubert
    Kiira Korpi
    Patrick Chan
    Zhang/Zhang
    Tomas Verner
    Ilia Kulik
    Shae-lynn Bourne
    and more...
    Also, mini-Yuna Min-Jung Kwak and mini-T.S. Adrea, Adbert Khongs are invited.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I find it silly that people are basing the opinion of the entire Japanese nation on a magazine article whose equivalent is probably the National Enquirer.

But yes, the lengths that people will go to make money and gain publicity is outrageous.
    Yep I totally agree.

Ahah. Love how all the posts have been taken down.

Woot.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 03-16-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Page 18 of 193 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast