Yuna Kim | Page 180 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
yeah.. i still remember she said something in her interview after vancouver.. that's she's done competing in the grand prix..it must be really hard for her to comeback.. and preparing for the 2013 world championship and then sochi..

Albeit her withdrawal from the 2014 GP series, I find that it went with how she wanted to really compete. She didn't want everyone's eyes on her. Ironic yes, but not a lot of buzz circled around her other than the usual Korean press, Olympic news, and stuff during her final year.

cooper

Medalist
Albeit her withdrawal from the 2014 GP series, I find that it went with how she wanted to really compete. She didn't want everyone's eyes on her. Ironic yes, but not a lot of buzz circled around her other than the usual Korean press, Olympic news, and stuff during her final year.

i think so. she was really injured. but i think it was a disadvantage for her at the same an advantage... but then again even if she was 100% healthy i don't think it would have been any different..

i wonder if pyeongchang was the host and not sochi.. do you think she will still going to compete?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
i wonder if pyeongchang was the host and not sochi.. do you think she will still going to compete?

Definitely, no questioning of it at all.

Who wouldn't want to retire after your national home crowd? It would probably carry more meaning to Yuna due to national pride and all. If you mean with also the same results as Sochi, nooow that's gonna be interesting to answer.

on_the_horizon

Rinkside
August 15th is the national holiday in South Korea. The Liberation Day ,Gwangbokjeol, commemorates Korea's liberation from Japanese colonial rule. South Koreans are planning to have a big celebration on Gwangbokjeol this year, and our dear Yuna was given an important role to play as well. She was asked to participate in a singing competition as one of the judges from which the chosen ones will make up a special choir to sing songs on the Liberation Day. The compeition will be broadcasted on live starting next Saturday. Today, the TV station released a short clip of Yuna's first appearance at the competition and meeting the participants. Unfortunately, there isn't a subtitle for the video clip yet, but I thought that it'd be nice to see Yuna again on TV after quite a long time. As I was watching the video clip, I kept thinking, 'Yuna just keeps getting prettier and prettier, AMAZING!' :clap::love::yay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmOK4YC5WTs

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Hello! When is ATS 2015?
It doesn't seem that there will be one. Apparently last year's show was indeed Yuna's retirement show (it was called that too) - not just from competitive skating, but from skating altogether. I guess they decided that there was no point in doing the show anymore if Yuna was not going to be in it, as the majority of the public obviously attended the shows mostly because of her, although they appreciated the foreign stars too. I personally don't quite agree with it - I think they could have kept the show going (perhaps involving other organizers, as I understand that the organizes were basically Yuna's mother and staff) so that the other Korean skaters had this yearly opportunity to appear before Korean public, if for nothing else. If the attendance went down a lot without Yuna in the shows, they could have made it more low-key and two or one show days instead of three (although the other side could be that the attendance would decrease even more without all the splendor of a high budget show and with a lesser number of star skaters). All that said, what I find a bit strange is that after the last year's shows there was apparently an announcement from the organizers stating that it was not the end of it, and that there were going to be even two shows a year like before the pre-Olympic and Olympic seasons. Granted, I didn't hear or read the announcement myself, someone just retold it on the FSUniverse forum, and it could have been false and/or a misinterpretation. Perhaps it was the case, as otherwise there should have been an announcement that they had reconsidered. I could believe it that Yuna perhaps thought she could continue to perform at least in this one show for her fans, but later understood that she had many other things to do in her life, and that leaving skating behind was actually the best option so that she could really concentrate on those other things. But in such a case she could have just said it to her fans in an interview or something, and I have read nothing of the sort from her Korean fans (or those who understand Korean) on the forums. I am not saying that she was obliged to do so, but it would have been considerate - especially if at some point there was an announcement about the shows continuing. But considering that there doesn't seem to have been either word from her, or an another announcement from organizers, it is very probable that in truth there was not an official announcement about shows continuing either.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
Yuna is now a graduate student in Korea University , one of top Universities in Korea. I think it’s very tough for her to attend the courses because she got too much attention from people, media and etc. Some media may be looking for some faults from her school life, so she had to be perfect in every way I guess. Also Korean government is using Yuna to advertise Pyeongchang2018 olympics too much, even though they did nothing for her. They usually prefer speed skating to figure skating as you know. The reason ATS got so much media attention in Korea is Yuna. If Yuna got so busy doing her own things, there will be no way Korean skaters got attention without Yuna. There will be no broadcasting in Korea because there will be no sponsors. Speed skating got the attention instead I guess. It’s a little bit complicated but there are some people hate figure skating in korea because Yuna got the spotlight over speed skating. I think Yuna has right to take some time off on her own. I don’t know why ATS should help other organizers. Especially some sports agents in Korea are doing business to tarnish Yuna image. They are rivals not partners. ATSports are not charity.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Only Speculation, but given it is one of the most busiest time of the year for Choreographers. Maybe Wilson is too busy doing the show? Since Denis is represented by ATS as well, wonder how much contribution did it demand ATS Korea to help organised Denis's recent show, or was Lambiel responsible for that one.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i dont know about organisation but Shae Lynn Bourne was choreographer, i remember seeing her bowing to the audience after show was ended :think:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I don’t know why ATS should help other organizers. Especially some sports agents in Korea are doing business to tarnish Yuna image. They are rivals not partners. ATSports are not charity.
You are right of course. I didn't think of it that way. Just thought of how the burden of organizing the show could be taken off of the current organizers "shoulders" somewhat (especially if the main organizer was indeed Yuna's mother) by getting other people to help them.

Only Speculation, but given it is one of the most busiest time of the year for Choreographers. Maybe Wilson is too busy doing the show? Since Denis is represented by ATS as well, wonder how much contribution did it demand ATS Korea to help organised Denis's recent show, or was Lambiel responsible for that one.
Lambiel definitely was not responsible for the organization of Denis's show. Denis organized most of it himself this year - it is not his show just in name. Last year he had less time to organize it, and then his mother did a lot. Of course, they had people to help them, but I am not sure if those people were from ATS.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
You are right of course. I didn't think of it that way. Just thought of how the burden of organizing the show could be taken off of the current organizers "shoulders" somewhat (especially if the main organizer was indeed Yuna's mother) by getting other people to help them.

Korea is very famous for organizing shows thanks to K pop concert. So we have many professionals called Event planner. ATSports consist of many experts. They are even providing event management advice. http://www.atsports.co.kr/business/event.html

I don’t know why you draw Yuna's mother in this thread. She is quite a successful business woman I think. She is doing her business very well. Why they need "shoulders" to help them?

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Korea is very famous for organizing shows thanks to K pop concert. So we have many professionals called Event planner. ATSports consist of many experts. They are even providing event management advice. http://www.atsports.co.kr/business/event.html

I don’t know why you draw Yuna's mother in this thread. She is quite a successful business woman I think. She is doing her business very well. Why they need "shoulders" to help them?
I didn't mean anything special by it. No need to look for hidden meanings. To tell the truth, I simply didn't know all of what you wrote about ATSports. Alll I knew was that the company belonged to Yuna and her mother, and her mother was the main organizer of 'All That Skate' shows. I didn't know how many experts were helping them. I simply thought that if Yuna herself was not going to be in the show, it would be just normal if her mother didn't want to put so much effort into organizing it anymore, so she could get someone other to do most of the work. For clarity's sake, read the second to last sentence once again.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
not everyone is perfect :shrug: http://www.spotvnews.co.kr/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=21159

Anyway, Yuna recently held a special event to showcase Korea's future skating stars....and other things :laugh:.
That's good (I mean, showcasing Korea's future skating stars).

Oh my god?? Why?????
I guess practicality won over style. :laugh2:
To be honest, I don't understand what is so horrible about Yuna's dress. I think it is actually interesting and stylish. But then again I am less conservative when it comes to both figure skating costumes, and clothing in general than the majority of skating fans seem to be.