Yuna Kim | Page 183 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
My favs ex are:

1. Meditation De Thais (ATS LA final day version - perfect.)
2. All of Me.
3. Fever.

Honary mention: Nessum Dorma (Seem this is an exhibition she has been running from all the time. Which is feeling entitled to be grand and magnificent, which probably fight a little with her shy and humble nature, but Oh Boy, was it worth the wait! I'd put it as 0. for 0utstanding. :)

Thought these exhibitions covers many aspect of Yuna's quality, diversity, witty, versatility, beauty, ingenuity, modernity, and her wonderful wonderful musicality.

------------

Special Olympics Opening ceremony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w--NHXwywBI&sns=em

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, here is the list of speakers and panel members at the Doha GOALS forum that Yuna will be participating in this week in Los Angeles. Figure skating is represented by Yuna, Scott Hamilton, and Meryl Davis. Here is what they say about Yuna.

YUNA KIM

Figure Skating Champion; Special Olympics Global Ambassador; 2018 Pyeongchang Olympic Games Honorary Ambassador; UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador

SOUTH KOREA

Yuna Kim is a South Korean former figure skater. She is one of the most highly recognized athletes and media figures in South Korea.

She is the first female figure skater to win all of the big four major games (Olympics, World Championship, Four Continents Championship and Grand Prix Final) under the current ISU judging system, broke the world record 11 times, eight of which being records she herself set. She is also the first female skater to surpass the 140-point and 150-point free skating mark and the 200-point total mark under the ISU Judging System. Throughout her entire career, Kim had never finished a competition lower than third place.

At the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Yuna Kim broke her own world record once again by earning a total of 228.56 points and winning the gold medal. Her score of 228.56 is still the highest score in ladies figure skating, and many leading figure skating experts consider it unbreakable.

Yuna Kim contributes to society through many charitable activities. In January 2010, she donated 100 million won to help relief efforts in Haiti. Later she was named an international UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and participated in many activities such as the UN’s annual International Day of Peace Celebration.

Yuna Kim’s influence played an important role in Pyeongchang’s victory at the IOC bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics. She was named a Global Ambassador for Special Olympics and an Honorary Ambassador for the 2018 Winter Olympics, which will be held in South Korea.

http://www.dohagoals.com/en/speakers/2015

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Thanks for the links. Looking beautiful.

Here is a short vid of Yuna and her partner playing badminton against Michelle and her partner. (The score is 4 to 3, but I don't know who's winning. :) ). Click twice for sound.

https://twitter.com/JudyKang_inLA/status/625839163116400641

Oh great finally!! The duel of the KQueens we have all been waiting for! (with some help) And as predicted, they are closely matched :rofl:

----------------

http://www.koreatimesus.com/kim-yuna-talks-about-overcoming-hardship-special-olympics/
Kim Yuna talks about overcoming hardship, Special Olympics

Kim Yuna, South Korean queen of figure skating, gave a speech inside Marriott Hotel in Los Angeles Monday for the Doha GOALS Forum.

The much-decorated, now-retired 25-year-old athlete spoke of her ordeals on and off the ice rink, including facing the challenge at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, where she won gold and set a world record.

Kim said her 17 to 18 years of competitive figure skating were comprised of 80 to 90 percent memories in hardship.

But she couldn’t give up to get a taste of the remaining happy 10 percent, she said.

“This is true for all things, but without adversity, there cannot be success,” she said. “I hope the athletes at the Special Olympics also overcome their hardships to have hope and courage.”

Kim is an ambassador for the Special Olympics.

A nice parallel aphorism to Thomas Edisons's "genius is 2% inspiration, 98% perspiration"
The 10% 1.8 years (657 days) of happiness is a precious thing, especially the million folds of happiness she brought to her country and her fans around the world over the course of her competitive career. Nice message, hope what she was able to achieve especially over coming things like injuries, training, and politics can be sources of inspiration to others going through their own adversity with hope and courage.

Last edited:

MiRé

Match Penalty
Such an admiring answers from the Queen......every bit of her success, no matter what color of medals she received, is used to give back more than she ever received. She's beyond an all time great skater. How can she have such haters in this world is just a mystery..............

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
How can she have such haters in this world is just a mystery..............
Does she really? I'm not following every figure skating forum out there but I get the impression that she is generally loved. One can never be liked by 100%, it's always only 99.999%, because there are always mad/insane people or impostors who only want to distract other people.

I think it's great that she uses her time and popularity to draw attention to the Special Olympics!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ that is kinda the truth. I also believe that Yuna is generally loved, maybe 90%. But the fact is that, in all forums, social media platform etc. Yuna is or has been harshly bashed by haters, but sadly this 10% of people are usually the most vocal and active on all forums...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Given Kanako is doing El Tango de Roxanne this season, so I can't help but rewatch this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYtM0vmtkM

I must admit, I do still get the giggles looking at Yuna's reaction to the score. It was back when 30 PCS was a huge deal! Today probably deserve at least 36, 37 given Liza received almost 34 for her SP program without half of the musicality, choreography and spark from this one.

There's this one too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utpf-9zBgEg
Don't you think Adios Nonino costume follows this one.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
^^ that is kinda the truth. I also believe that Yuna is generally loved, maybe 90%. But the fact is that, in all forums, social media platform etc. Yuna is or has been harshly bashed by haters, but sadly this 10% of people are usually the most vocal and active on all forums...
I think it's only 0.001% of the people who know her as a skater, but they want to be heard. There are so many who love and admire her who have no interest in FS forums or comments on Youtube videos. I kind of pity those who cannot appreciate what she's done for this sport, there's certainly something very wrong with those people.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I know Yuna as a SKATER, I LOVE her because of her skating. My tale is that I became a fan of Yuna and then figure skating because just a glance on TV. Without any media propaganda, olympic attention or patriotism etc. Her skating is just hypnotizing as J_butt nicely put it. I believe, if Yuna's skating can hypnotize me and J_Butt, her skating can certainly hypnotize other people. That is the only reason why I believe she is loved by 90% people regardless all those hatred throw at her at social media platform.
Plus, Yuna also has a gentle heart. but many people has a gentle heart around this world, she is special for me because of her skating.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I ignore the haters I see online because they probably wouldn't be able to say the same in real life. I met one Yuna hater before and he said she has no legacy but he's super pro Japanese everything and anti-Korea even though he's American. Go figure. I don't know any rational people who don't have respect for what she's done even if they're not a fan of her skating.