Yuna Kim | Page 185 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
USA Today article

Armour: Being on top isn't challenge for Simone Biles, it's staying there

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2015/08/16/simone-biles-staying--top/31807013/

Six years before Simone Biles was re-writing gymnastics' record books, extending her two-year winning streak Saturday night with her third consecutive U.S. title, there was Yuna Kim.

The South Korean figure skater would go on to win gold at the Vancouver Olympics, posting records that might never be broken along the way. It's her path that Biles hopes to emulate, not that of would-be champions like the 1980 Soviet hockey team, wrestler Alexander Karelin, decathletes Dan O'Brien and Dave Johnson and figure skater Michelle Kwan.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
that insert is so random IMO
initially I was thinking more of Shannon Miller due to having same sport background as Simone but eyyyy it's Yuna and she really did something crazy awesome (idk lol getting a lot of WR's and hitting it when it counts) in figure skating

...so I'm fine with it :biggrin:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I agree it's really random but Yuna was really dominant going into Vancouver so I guess it's comparable? She set several World records (4CC, Worlds, Skate America, TEB) in a very short period of time before winning the Olympics so I guess they're trying to find a parallel

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I had to share this...too funny. And the comments are amazing as well....

http://www.asianjunkie.com/2015/08/...and-to-dirty-her-thug-yuna-photoshop-request/

Please everyone, don't take it too personally or seriously. By the way, that website is known for its irreverent takes on k-pop and I know sometimes people get mad at what that person posts.

I'm pretty familiar with this site, I don't read it but I know what their writing is about what kind of audience they skew towards. I saw a Korean article with these screencaps and I had no what it was about. Haha I don't blame Yuna for not wanting to hold her hand, she's a terrible politician, all of my Korean friends hate her

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I'm pretty familiar with this site, I don't read it but I know what their writing is about what kind of audience they skew towards. I saw a Korean article with these screencaps and I had no what it was about. Haha I don't blame Yuna for not wanting to hold her hand, she's a terrible politician, all of my Korean friends hate her

This is probably my favorite comment: "This will be the incident that sparks a coup d'etat in South Korea. Nobody makes the Ice Queen uncomfortable.

skaterr

On the Ice
I had to share this...too funny. And the comments are amazing as well....

http://www.asianjunkie.com/2015/08/...and-to-dirty-her-thug-yuna-photoshop-request/

Please everyone, don't take it too personally or seriously. By the way, that website is known for its irreverent takes on k-pop and I know sometimes people get mad at what that person posts.

Sorry to disappoint you. It’s from channel A news known for yellow journalism. Many Korean fans are speculating there’s someone behind this fussy. Channel A used to report a distortion of facts about Yuna. They even discussed Yuna would not renew Samsung advertisement. But guess what? She did.
Yuna is very polite. I guess tv program pd took her next to the president unlike Rehearsal. She was a little bit confused for a few seconds. And Haters got the moment. That’s it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7NdWk-nwu4
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=yeona&no=634856&page=2&exception_mode=recommend
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=yeona&no=634852&page=2&exception_mode=recommend
http://media.daum.net/politics/others/newsview?newsid=20150819001157895&RIGHT_REPLY=R2
http://m.news.naver.com/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=100&oid=005&aid=0000808967
http://mlbpark.donga.com/mbs/articl...=search&select=stt&opt=1&keyword=%BF%AC%BE%C6

Last edited:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Sorry to disappoint you. It’s from channel A news known for yellow journalism. Many Korean fans are speculating there’s someone behind this fussy. Channel A used to report a distortion of facts about Yuna. They even discussed Yuna would not renew Samsung advertisement. But guess what? She did.
Yuna is very polite. I guess tv program pd took her next to the president unlike Rehearsal. She was a little bit confused for a few seconds. And Haters got the moment. That’s it.

Oh no, I, at no time thought Yuna was being intentionally or unintentionally impolite to the President and I was under no illusion that this was in any way real journalism. It was an exaggerated, silly thing that sort of play with Yuna's ice queen image and, I guess, the unpopularity of the Korean president. It would be absurd for anyone to criticize Yuna over it. If people are up in arms over this and demanding Yuna to address it/apologize for it, then they must be having a slow news day there in South Korea, or have no sense of perspective.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This video really is hilarious!
Is it common in South Korea that people are holding hands in public? Because I find it rather weird that the president wanted to hold hands with Yuna and her reaction was rather polite, she simply tried to ignore it, but didn't want to give her the chance to do it again. :biggrin:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
This video really is hilarious!
Is it common in South Korea that people are holding hands in public? Because I find it rather weird that the president wanted to hold hands with Yuna and her reaction was rather polite, she simply tried to ignore it, but didn't want to give her the chance to do it again. :biggrin:

I think maybe everyone on stage were supposed to hold hands during that portion of the show. I saw a video of the actual broadcast and the President was holding hands with other people while singing at the end of the show, and Yuna was front and center not holding anyone, LOL. I don't think she was trying to not hold hands, to me there seems to be a lot of things going on onstage and there was someone trying to give instructions and arranging everyone in place. Yuna seemed to not know what she was supposed to do and maybe her reaction was just her being shy and nervous.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I think maybe everyone on stage were supposed to hold hands during that portion of the show. I saw a video of the actual broadcast and the President was holding hands with other people while singing at the end of the show, and Yuna was front and center not holding anyone, LOL. I don't think she was trying to not hold hands, to me there seems to be a lot of things going on onstage and there was someone trying to give instructions and arranging everyone in place. Yuna seemed to not know what she was supposed to do and maybe her reaction was just her being shy and nervous.

Watched the broadcast video again and the only ones holding hands on stage that I can see are the President and two other older ladies. So maybe that is just her thing. I'm not Korean so I'm not sure if it's a cultural.

skaterr

On the Ice
Even though Media or even politicians did nothing for her when she needed help in Sochi, Yuna actively participated the 70th Independence day Event for them with warm heart. KBS pd dragged Yuna next to the President without notice to make a good picture.
Yuna agency actually has many enemies in Korea. Many other agencies or other sports star marketing companies want her to doom. Channel A trash media desperately made fabricated video, and they actually discussed on their cable tv. But they met a headwind now. Yuna fandom is so big in Korea that it’s not easy to tarnish her image.

Last edited:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Even though Media or even politicians did nothing for her when she needed help in Sochi, Yuna actively participated the 70th Independence day Event for them with warm heart. KBS pd dragged Yuna next to the President without notice to make a good picture.
Yuna agency actually has many enemies in Korea. Many other agencies or other sports star marketing companies want her to doom. Channel A trash media desperately made fabricated video, and they actually discussed on their cable tv. But they met a headwind now. Yuna fandom is so big in Korea that it’s not easy to tarnish her image.

That is really too bad if this was the motivation for doing that. Why does Yuna's agency have many enemies? Is it because it is independent and not the status quo big companies there? Judging from how people were reacting to that site I linked, which does not cater to figure skating or Yuna fans, nobody is really taking it seriously but even using it to criticize the president/government.

skaterr

On the Ice
Yuna is quite a unique sports star in Korea. She has Big fandom who support her. She’s been loved by all generations. I’m not an expert but, Before Yuna Agency in Korea, Sports Agency was actually based on lobbying reporters. They tend to have more mutual relationship(?). I think all that sports they more clean and don’t do that sort of thing, because they don’t need it. They have many fans who support her. When I read an article, I can see the differences of tone compared to other sports star. Reporters they even faking facts for so called Sports star. It’s all my guessing. I’m not sure.

Media or KSU or other organizations can not control Yuna power. So she’s been a target I guess.

In Korea when political issues comes out, Big Stars tend to become a target to cover issues up.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
She looks totally unprepared for the President's "move." lol. I do not blame her.

Looks like she wasn't aware with the holding hands part. She looked so unsure and kinda doubtful that she was supposed to her Park's hand. Still, kinda funny to watch though :laugh:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Stupid question:
So I happened to stumble upon Forbes' List of Highest Paid Female Athletes yesterday. I noticed Yuna isn't on the top 10 anymore there, but in another list, it says her income is still within the top 10. Did they not include her this year because she already retired? *not that other people's riches are my business. just out of curiosity. :)

skaterr

On the Ice
The world’s 10 highest-paid female athletes are a global group with seven different nationalities represented. They earned $124 million collectively from salary, winnings, appearances, licensing and endorsements between June 1, 2014 and June 1, 2015. The total was down 12% as some new blood made the cut this year with the retirement of list-staples Li Na and Kim Yuna, who ranked second and fourth last year respectively. The Chinese tennis star and South Korean Olympic figure skating champion both retired from competition in 2014.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2015/08/12/the-worlds-highest-paid-female-athletes-2015/

they think she already retired

Krislite

Medalist
^She is officially retired. By her own words. Strangely, though, Forbes still keeps Michael Jordan in their list of highest-paid male athletes every year. Double standards. :confused: Oh well...