Yuna Kim | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Orser said "I hope Yu-Na to be happy. After yesterday's competition, I asked her if she was happy. She said yes. After hearing that, I also felt happy." and he smiled.

cooper

Medalist
I just admire Orser/Yuna's relationship together with Wilson. What a perfect team for Yuna. ;)

alfoalfo

Rinkside
awwww!!!! thank you Ice&Glass for the link and info :)

Brian and Yuna are just a match made in heaven :p

Cerulean

Rinkside
Brian Orser was apparently a hottie in his younger days, judging by the clip of him at the 1988 Olympics in that video. He aged well too, I think. :agree:

cooper

Medalist
Post World news:

"Kim will arrive in Korea on Wednesday afternoon (Korean time) to shoot some television commercials and prepare for an ice show scheduled for April 16 to 18. She plans to return to her training base in Toronto in May or June."

There's still a possibility that she will NOT retire!

cooper

Medalist
Coach Orser's interview: Credit from Yuna's forum.

오서 코치 "연아의 미래는 연아에게 맡겨야"

Coach Orser "Leave Yeon-ah's to future to Yeon-ah"

(토리노=연합뉴스) 고동욱 기자 = "(김)연아가 무슨 선택을 하든, 그녀의 마음 깊숙한 곳에서 우러나온 결정이어야 하고, 스스로 행복해질 수 있는 결정이어야 합니다"

(Torino=Yonhap News) Reporter Go Dong Wook = 'Regardless of the decision Yeon-ah makes, it has to be a decision that come from deep within her heart and it has to be a decision that she can be happy with."

'피겨퀸' 김연아(20.고려대)를 길러낸 브라이언 오서(49.캐나다) 코치가 김연아의 미래는 스스로 결정해야 한다고 강조했다.

Coach Orser, who developed Kim Yeon-ah (20, Korea University) emphasized that Kim Yeon-ah has to decide her future for herself.

오서 코치는 29일(한국시간) 이탈리아 토리노 팔라벨라 빙상장에서 막을 내린 2010 국제빙상경기연맹(ISU) 세계 피겨스케이팅 선수권대회 마지막 날 갈라쇼를 앞두고 취재진과 만나 이렇게 말했다.

Coach Orser said this as he met with the reporters with the last day’s gala show ahead after the curtain fell on the 2010 ISU World Championship at the Palavela ice arena in Torino Italy.

오서 코치는 "김연아는 올림픽과 세계선수권, 아이스쇼 등 많은 경험을 쌓았고 그 경험을 소화해 자기 것으로 만든 만큼, 앞으로 미래도 밝을 것"이라고 전망하며 "김연아는 앞으로 진로를 스스로 결정해야 한다"고 말했다.

Coach Orser said “As Kim Yeon-ah accumulated a lot of experience from Olympic, world championship and ice shows to make it her own and digesting it, her future will also be bright” about her prospects and that “She will make the decision about her future path herself.”

오서 코치는 "김연아는 학업에 열중할 수도 있으며 아이스쇼 무대에만 설 수도 있다. 하지만 그녀에게 압박감을 주고 싶지 않다"며 김연아의 선택을 존중하겠다는 뜻을 밝혔다.

Coach Orser said “Kim Yeon-ah could devote herself to education or she could decide to just appear in ice shows. But I don’t want to pressure her” showing that he’ll will respect her decision.

오서 코치는 지난 4년 동안 김연아를 가르치며 '피겨퀸'으로 만들어낸 주인공이다.

Coach Orser was the main person who taught Kim Yeon-ah for the past 4 years to make her into the “Figure Skating Queen”.

아직은 미숙한 점이 많았던 어린 스케이터와 4년을 함께 하며 세계적인 스타 선수로 키워낸 만큼, 떠나보내기 싫은 마음 역시 감추지 못했다.

As he spent 4 years raising a young skater with many immature aspects to a world renown star athlete, he could not hide his heart that does not want to see her leave.

오서 코치는 "지난 4년 동안 그녀가 스케이터로서나 인간적으로서나 성숙하는 것을 바라보는 것이 즐거웠다"며 "2010 밴쿠버 동계올림픽을 치르면서 아버지가 된 것처럼 자랑스러웠다. 올림픽 때는 나도 상당히 감정적으로 변했다. 놀라운 경험이었다"고 말했다.

Coach Orser said "I've enjoyed watching her mature as a skater and as person over the past 4 years." and that "I was proud like a father as I experience the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic. During the Olympic, I also changed a lot emotionally. It was a surprising experience."

이 어 "나와 함께한 첫 2년 동안 김연아에게 연습은 일과 같은 것이었다. 많은 이들에게 일이 즐겁지만은 않듯 김연아도 연습을 즐기지 못했다"며 "하지만 다음 2년 동안 김연아는 정말로 훈련을 즐겼다. 또 다른 스케이터들과 친해지며 사회적으로도 성숙했다"고 지난 시간을 돌아봤다.

And he said "For the first two years with me for Kim Yeon-ah practice was like work. As it is for many people, Kim Yeon-ah also did not enjoy training. But for the next two years, Kime Yeon-ah really enjoyed training. Also she became friendly with other skaters and matured socially." as he looked back in time.

오서 코치는 "물론 나는 여전히 그녀가 대회에 나가기를 바란다. 예전과 같은 열정으로 경쟁했으면 좋겠다"는 속내를 드러내기도 했다.

Coach Orser confessed that "I still hope that she will continue to compete, of course. I would like for her to compete with the same passion as before."

하지만 오서 코치는 그럼에도 김연아에게 특정한 미래를 강요할 생각이 없음을 분명히 했다.

However even as he said this, coach Orser firmly expressed that he has no thoughts of forcing Kim Yeon-ah to a particular path.

오서 코치는 자신이 선수 생활을 마감하던 때를 돌아보며 "김연아에게도 생각할 시간을 주어야 한다"고 말했다.

Coach Orser as he looked back when he was ending his completive career said "You have to give Kim Yeon-ah time to think too."

"나는 올림픽을 마치고도 세계선수권대회를 마치고도 미래에 대해 말하지 않았다. 시간이 흐르고 어느 날엔가 아침에 눈을 떠 깨달았고, 결정을 내렸다. 그것은 오직 나를 위한 결정이었고, 옳은 결정이었다"는 회상을 곁들였다.

He said "I did not talk about my future even after the Olympic and the world championship. After time past, one morning I opened my eyes and decided. That decision was for me and only me. It was the right decision." looking back at his experience.

오서 코치는 "나는 김연아가 행복하길 바란다. 어제 경기를 끝내고 물어보니 행복하다고 했다. 그 말을 듣고 나 역시 행복했다"며 흐뭇한 웃음을 지었다.

Coach Orser said "I want Kim Yeon-ah to be happy. When I asked her after the competition yesterday, she said she was happy. I was also happy after hearing that." while smiling

cooper

Medalist
Yuna's interview: Credit to Yuna's forum.

시즌 마무리 김연아 "응원 덕에 좋은 결과"

Season wrap-up, Kim Yeon-ah "Good result thanks to your support"

"앞으로 진로는 아마추어.프로 사이에서 선택"

"Future path is a choice between amateur and pro."

(토리노=연합뉴스) 고동욱 기자 = "저나 팬들이나 가장 기대하던 시즌을 잘 마무리하게 돼 기분이 좋습니다. 모든 분이 주변에서 도와주신 덕에 매번 좋은 경기를 했습니다. 변함없는 응원에 감사드립니다"

(Torino=Yonhap News) Reporter Go Dong Ok = "I feel good that the season that the season that I and my fans have been anticipating the most has concluded well."

2010 국제빙상경기연맹(ISU) 세계 피겨스케이팅 선수권대회에서 은메달을 따내며 극적이었던 한 시즌을 마무리한 '피겨퀸' 김연아(20.고려대)가 홀가분한 표정으로 소감을 전했다.

"Figure Skating Queen" Kim Yeon-ah, who concluded the dramatic season by winning the silver medal at 2010 ISU World Championship, expressed her carefree feelings.

김연아는 29일(한국시간) 새벽 치러진 대회 갈라쇼를 화려하게 마무리 지은 다음 취재진과 만나 지난 시즌을 돌아보며 편안한 웃음을 지었다.

Kim Yeon-ah met with the reporters after performing beautifully in the competition's gala show on the early hours of 29th (Korea time) wearing a comfortable smile as she reflected back on the past season.

올림픽이 끝나고 곧장 세계선수권대회를 준비하며 지낸 힘들었던 시간들을 털어놓으면서도 미소를 잃지 않았고, 앞으로 진로를 두고 솔직한 고민을 털어놓기도 했다.

She did not lose her smile even as she confided about the difficult period when she had to prepare for the world championship that came right after the Olympic ended.

◇"힘들었던 세계선수권대회..끝나고 보니 잘 나온 것 같아요"

◇"The difficult world championship... looking back after it ended, I think it was good that I came."

김연아는 2010 밴쿠버 동계올림픽에서 '상상의 한계를 뛰어넘는' 228.56점을 받으며 금메달을 따낸 다음에도 별로 쉬지 못하고 곧장 세계선수권대회를 준비했다.

Kim Yeon-ah who won the gold medal after receiving a 'Beyond the limits of imagination' score of 228.56 points wasn't able to rest much and had to prepare for the world championship right away.

이미 가장 큰 목표를 이룬 다음이었기에 허탈감과 의욕 부진에 시달릴 수밖에 없었다.

Because she had achieved her biggest goal, it was inevitable to suffer from despondency and lack of drive.

김연아는 "지난 10월 파리에서 열린 그랑프리 1차 대회를 마치고 세계선수권에 나오기로 결정했다. 그때는 결과가 너무 좋았기 때문에 자신감이 생겨 '그까짓 거 할만 하겠다'는 생각이었다"며 웃었다.

Kim Yeon-ah smiled as she said "I had decided to come to the world championship after concluding the first competition of the season last October at Paris. At that time I gained confidence because the results were so good so I thought 'I should be able to do that no problem'."

김 연아는 "올림픽 이후가 이렇게 힘들지 몰랐다. 끝나고 너무 힘들어서 후회했다"면서 "올림픽에서 금메달을 따고 나니 '아무도 내게 뭐라 하지 않을 텐데 또 경기를 해야 하나'하는 생각에 흔들렸다. 게다가 올림픽 챔피언인데 못하는 모습을 보여주면 안된다는 생각에 두려웠다"고 털어놓았다.

Kim Yeon-ah said "I didn't think it would be so difficult after the Olympic. I regret it after it ended because it was so difficult." and also "After winning the gold medal at Olympic, I was shaken by the though 'Why do I have to do it again when no one would say anything to me (if she had withdrawn)?' In addition, I was afraid to show a poor performance when I'm the Olympic champion." she confessed.

하지만 "브라이언 오서 코치도 같은 것을 경험했다며 '어느 선수라도 겪는 일이고 나만 그런게 아니다'고 얘기를 해 줬다"고 출전을 강행하게 된 배경을 설명했다.

But she said "Coach Brian Orser said he also experienced the same thing and told me that 'It's something any athlete will experience, not just you.'" explaining how the preparation for the participation became stronger.

그러면서 "훈련을 대충 한 건 아니다. 마지막 일주일 동안은 올림픽 때와 거의 비슷하게 훈련했고, 대충 해서 실수한 것도 아니다. 나는 최선을 다했다"고 말했다.

While saying that she said "It wasn't as if I had a cursory training. In the last week, I trained similarly to the Olympic and it wasn't that I made mistakes because of cursory training. I gave it my all"

그러나 올림픽 후유증은 컸다. 김연아는 이번 대회 쇼트프로그램에서 레이백 스핀에서 0점을 받는 등 평소 않던 실수를 범하며 7위에 그쳤다.

However the aftereffect of the Olympic was huge. Kim Yeon-ah received 0 points for her layback spin by making a mistake that she normal doesn't at this competition's short program to finish in 7th place.

쇼트프로그램 실패는 '강심장' 김연아도 흔들리게 했다.

The short program failure shook even the "stout heart" Kim Yeon-ah.

김연아는 "쇼트프로그램이 끝나자마자 '괜히 왔다' 싶었다. 밤이 지나고 나서는 또 괜찮았는데, 아침 연습에서 다시 좋지 못하다 보니 경기 직전까지 '타다가 안 되겠으면 그만두고 나와야겠다'고 생각했다"고 말했다.

Kim Yeon-ah said "As soon as the short program ended, I felt 'I shouldn't have come'. After the night past I felt okay again but as the morning practice didn't go well I thought till right before the competition 'I will quit and withdraw If it feels undoable as I'm skating'."

김연아는 "다행히 경기 직전 6분 동안 워밍업을 하면서 컨디션이 좋아 안정을 찾았다. 그 뒤로는 걱정하지 않았다"고 말했다.

Kim Yeon-ah said "Fortunately I found calm as my condition was good during the 6 minute warm up just before the competition. I didn't worry after that."

◇"앞으로 진로는 선수를 계속하느냐, 프로 전향이냐의 갈림길"

◇"Future path is a crossroad between continuing in competition or becoming a pro."

마지막까지 극적인 경기를 보여주면서 마침내 김연아의 2009-2010 시즌은 막을 내렸다.

The curtain came down on Kim Yeon-ah's 2009-2010 season after showing dramatic performance to the end.

그동안 꿈꿔왔던 올림픽 금메달까지 목에 건 만큼, 이제 김연아에게도 미래를 생각해야 할 시간이 왔다.

As much as the gold medal that she's been dreaming about hang around her neck, now the time to think about the future has come to even Kim Yeon-ah.

김연아는 "앞으로 진로는 두 가지가 있을 것이다. 선수로 계속 뛰든지, 아니면 공연에 나서며 가능하다면 학교 생활을 병행하는 것"이라고 말했다.

Kim Yeon-ah said "There two paths for the future: to continue competing or to appear in show and going to school at the same time if possible."

" 조금 쉬다가 나온다는 계획까지는 생각하지 않는다. 그건 그때 마음이 중요하기 때문이다. 은퇴를 번복한 선수들도 당시에는 할 만큼 했다고 생각했지만 스케이트를 타다 보니 다시 마음이 생긴 것"이라며 다른 가능성에 대해서는 선을 그었다.

"I have not given any thought to a plan of resting a bit and coming back later. That's because the state of mind at that time is important. Athletes who came out of retirement also thought that they did much as they could at the time but as they skated their minds changed again.”

김연아는 '실력 유지'와 '스트레스' 사이에서 고민하고 있다고 고백했다.

Kim Yeon-ah confessed that she has been agonizing about “maintaining skill level” and “stress”.

"선수 생활을 더 하겠다고 결정한다면 지금의 실력을 계속 유지할 수 있겠다는 생각 때문일 것 같아요. 아니라면 경기를 할 때마다 스트레스를 많이 받기 때문에 '더는 하기 싫다'는 생각 때문이겠죠"

“If I decide to continue competing, I think it would be because I think I could continue to maintain my current skill level. If not, it would probably because of the thought that I don’t want to get stressed out for each competition.”

김연아는 "훈련을 할 때면 '이걸 다시 하라고 하면 못할 것 같다'는 생각을 많이 한다. 대회가 끝나고 나서도 다음 시합이 기다리고 있다고 생각하면 두렵다"고 선수로서 느끼는 스트레스를 털어놓았다.

Kim Yeon-ah said “Every time I trained the thought ‘I don’t think I could do this if I were to do this again’ a lot. I get scared when I think about having to anticipate the next competition even after finishing a competition” confessing the stress felt as a skater.

또 어린 나이에 선수 생활을 하는 데 대해서도 "친구들과 관계를 쌓거나 학교 생활을 못했다는 게 아쉽다"고 말했다.

Also during her times as a young skater she had said “I was sad about missing out on having time with friends and not being experience school life.”

하지만 한편으로는 "내가 최고로 잘할 수 있는 곳에서 최고의 자리까지 오게 됐다. 어린 나이에 이 자리까지 온 건 큰 성과"라며 선수로서 지금껏 이룬 것들에 자부심을 드러내기도 했다.

However on the other hand she said “I was able to get to the highest place in the thing that I could be the best at. To come to this place from a young age is a huge result.”

또 "힘들지만 스케이트를 타는 게 몸에 배어 있어서 익숙하게 다시 타게 된다. 한국에서 조금 쉬고 나서 오랜만에 탈 때면 마음 편히 잘 타게 되더라"고 덧붙였다.

Also she added that “Even though it’s difficult, because skating is ingrained in my body I once again skate proficiently. I skated well with my mind at ease during time when I skate after resting in Korea for a bit.”

더 먼 미래의 계획에 대해 질문하자 잠시 망설이면서도 "10년 후에도 스케이트를 탈 수도 있을 것 같다. 오서 코치도 메인코치가 되기 전까지 아이스쇼 무대에 선 만큼 나도 그럴 수 있지 않을까" 되물으면서 "살만 찌지 않는다면"이라고 단서를 붙이고 웃음을 터뜨렸다.

Even though she gets hesitant when asked about plans for even further future she said “I think I will be able to skate even 10 years from now. Wouldn’t I be able to be like coach Orser who skated in ice shows just prior to becoming my main coach?” and she cause laughter after adding the conditional “If I don’t gain weight.”

김연아는 또 "곽민정과 짧은 시간이지만 같이 연습을 했는데, 알려주고 싶은 게 많다. 그런 것을 보면 코치를 해 보고 싶기도 하다. 주변에서는 말리지만, 보조코치처럼 도와주고 싶기도 하다"고 말했다.

Kim Yeon-ah also said “I trained with Kwak Min-jung for just a short time but there are a lot of things that I want to show her. When I look at things like that, I want to try to be a coach too. Though people around me try to discourage me, I want to try to help like an assistant coach too.”

◇"맛있는 것 많이 먹고파..공부도 관심"

◇”I want to eat a lot of delicious things.. interested in studying too”

김연아는 이제 오랜만에 한국으로 돌아간다.

Kim Yeon-ah will now return to Korea for the first time in a long time.

올림픽이 끝나고 잠시 방문하기도 했지만 1박2일의 짧은 일정이라 고국의 분위기를 느끼기엔 시간이 부족했다.

Even though she briefly returned after the Olympic but it was a short overnight stay not long enough to get the feeling of home coming.

김연아는 "운전 면허까지 딸 시간은 없을 것 같고, 제약 없이 맛있는 것을 배가 터지도록 먹고 싶다"면서 "살이 찌더라도 뭐라고 하지 마세요"라며 웃음을 터뜨렸다.

Kim Yeon-ah said “It looks like I won’t have time to get a driving license so I would like to eat delicious things without limit till my belly busts” and she cause laughter when she added “Don’t say anything even if I gain weight.”

물론 김연아의 소망대로 한가로운 휴식이 기다리는 것은 아니다. 5월 말이나 6월 초쯤 토론토로 돌아가기 전까지 아이스쇼 출연, 밀린 CF촬영과 사인회 등 숨가쁜 일정이 남아있다.

Of course it’s not as if a leisurely vacation is waiting for Kim Yeon-ah as she hopes. Before returning to Toronto at about the end of May or beginning of June there are things that will keep her from breathing easy that remains like appearing in ice shows, shooting backed up advertisements and attending signings.

이미 최고의 스타 대접을 받고 있기에 또래 친구들과 비슷한 생활을 하기도 쉽지 않다.

It’s already difficult for her to live like friend of same age as she is treated as a top star.

김연아는 "학교 생활도 하고 싶지만 쉽지 않다. 인사를 드리러 가는 것조차도 사람들이 몰리다 보니 어렵더라. 조금 두렵기도 하다"고 말했다.

Kim Yeon-ah said “I would like to have a life as a student but it’s not easy. Even when I went just for greetings it became difficult as many people gathered. It’s a bit scary too.”

"토론토에서 친구들을 만났는데, 자유롭게 움직이고 싶어도 나 때문에 안되더라. 친구들이 나서서 날 보호해줬다"며 유명인으로서 생활에 아쉬움을 드러내기도 했다.

“When I meet friends in Toronto, even though we wanted to do thing freely, we couldn’t because of me. My friends stood up to protect me,” expressing her sadness about her life as a celebrity.

김연아는 "학교 수업은 과제로 대신했는데, 훈련 일지를 쓰는 게 있었다. 내가 경험한 것을 쓰다 보니 재미있더라"고 말했다.

Kim Yeon-ah said “I did assignments as substitute for class work and there was a training dairy I wrote. While writing about things I experienced, it became fun.”

특히 "심리 상담과 비슷한 수업을 들었는데 흥미로웠다. 선수로서 겪은 것들이 있는 만큼 스포츠심리 쪽을 공부해보면 재미있을 것 같다"고 학업에 관심을 드러내기도 했다.

Especially she said “I took a course that was similar to counseling and it was interesting. Since I have a lot of experience as an athlete, it might be fun to study sports psychology” revealing her interest in academics.

Figure88

On the Ice
Post World news:

"Kim will arrive in Korea on Wednesday afternoon (Korean time) to shoot some television commercials and prepare for an ice show scheduled for April 16 to 18. She plans to return to her training base in Toronto in May or June."

There's still a possibility that she will NOT retire!

I didn't think she would retire. She would miss skating too much and would regret her decision later on. Plus, I don't think she'd ever have a "normal" life in Korea. I think also the fact that she is the only top Korean figure skater would affect her decision. It would probably be 10-20 years before Korea produces another skater even close to her calibre.

Last edited:

Figure88

On the Ice
No one knows. I am dreaming of what numbers Wilson will come up for her next year. And I am hoping she will continue to skate.

I want her to do a tango next! Maybe a more mature version of Tango de Roxanne, as she was only 16when she performed it.

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Kim Yeon-ah said “It looks like I won’t have time to get a driving license so I would like to eat delicious things without limit till my belly busts” and she cause laughter when she added “Don’t say anything even if I gain weight.”

KYN, there will be plenty of people willing to give you rides even if you gained over 50 lbs. :laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Thanks Cooper for the translation. Yuna truly seems like a lovely girl and I am glad that she wants to continue skating. Her interest in coaching is also interesting, I find it so wonderful that she wants to help people! I bet she would be a great coach if that is what she ends up deciding to do. In the meantime I hope she has fun in Korea! You deserve it Yuna. Oh and she could probably gain 25 pounds and still look good so don't worry about that Yuna!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I didn't think she would retire. She would miss skating too much and would regret her decision later on.

On the flipside...where would the motivation to keep training come from? There's a reason why OGMs tend to "cut and run" after the fact. I give her huge credit just for showing up at Worlds actually.

If she can find that motivation then good for her- skating in general will benefit from her presence- but otherwise, probably time to pack it in. She's basically set for life in Korea. It's her decision though. Even those that claim they will continue end up backing out one way or another eventually...(several examples, but in FS, Sarah Hughes comes to mind)

Ren

On the Ice
I think she might go on for at least one more season. The way she finished this one was a relief, but I don't think it's the way she wants to finish her career. Or maybe I'm just selfish, wanting to see a showdown in Tokyo next year... :)

prettykeys

Medalist
I think some of you misunderstand YuNa's motivations...I don't think she enjoys competing. She stayed for so long because she wanted that Olympic Gold and wanted to prove, perhaps to herself, her fans and to the world that she could pull it off, but it is very possible she will leave competitive skating for good after this season. Even if she does come back to train and see how it's like this summer...she may abort.

I highly doubt that she is dreaming of the thought of beating Mao in Japan or any of that; I don't think she really cares for that sort of thing and she doesn't seem to relish having a lot of pressure on her.

I don't feel that I can ask anything more of her, as her fan. She has had to give up so much for so long. A normal childhood is gone. Perhaps even a normal rest-of-her-life. I want most for her to be happy and to enjoy her life.

I also wouldn't call it an OGM "hit and run" strategy, at all. How many other young skaters have spent a big chunk of their suspended adolescence living in a foreign-language country away from friends and family? Many people don't seem to be able to imagine the sense of alienation and loneliness that kind of life brings.

aurora100

Final Flight
I want her to do a tango next! Maybe a more mature version of Tango de Roxanne, as she was only 16when she performed it.

You read my mind. I really really would like to see a more mature sizzling tango from Yuna. And, I would like her to do a Porgy and Bess Jazzy fun number... just to show her lighter side. I would like her to try humor...whimsical kind of music. I want her to a Carmen, Bolero and Humphrey Bogart. I want her to skate to a devastatingly sad, heavy dramatic music. I want to see her do it all. I think she can do it all and make us laugh, cry and sob at the same time. I think she can do it better than anyone. But she has to want to do that.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yu-na certainly did not enjoy competing up until the start of the 2008-09 season when she was finally injury-free. Before then she didn't even know if she would stay until Vancouver. Lately she seems a lot happier but it certainly is a legitimate point if she loves competing enough to stay in Canada with her mom, hardly ever seeing her dad, working as hard as she must be working...when she has nothing else to gain. Sure, if she stays around for another cycle she will move into the legend status, but is that really her life goal? She seems to want to study and attend her university in Korea and have a somewhat normal family and friend life.

I don't think she will announce retirement right away if at all, but it would not surprise me if she did.

cooper

Medalist
If she retires I doubt she will be living in Korea, possibly she stays in Toronto. There' no way she will find a normal life in Korea with crazy fans everywhere. As a fan I want her to continue competing, but whatever it is I wish her all the best.

L

lowtherlore

I think some of you misunderstand YuNa's motivations...I don't think she enjoys competing. She stayed for so long because she wanted that Olympic Gold and wanted to prove, perhaps to herself, her fans and to the world that she could pull it off, but it is very possible she will leave competitive skating for good after this season. Even if she does come back to train and see how it's like this summer...she may abort.

I highly doubt that she is dreaming of the thought of beating Mao in Japan or any of that; I don't think she really cares for that sort of thing and she doesn't seem to relish having a lot of pressure on her.

I don't feel that I can ask anything more of her, as her fan. She has had to give up so much for so long. A normal childhood is gone. Perhaps even a normal rest-of-her-life. I want most for her to be happy and to enjoy her life.

I also wouldn't call it an OGM "hit and run" strategy, at all. How many other young skaters have spent a big chunk of their suspended adolescence living in a foreign-language country away from friends and family? Many people don't seem to be able to imagine the sense of alienation and loneliness that kind of life brings.

I agree with prettykeys after reading Yuna's post-worlds interview. Yuna once said she liked doing shows, because there is no competitive pressure. I find comfort in her saying she will continue to skate, so it means that we would see her new programs, whether she remain in competitive skating or opt for shows. Whatever choice she makes, I wish her to be happy.

Last edited: