Yuna Kim | Page 195 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Ophelia

Record Breaker
She looks gorg in the latest photos. Would've mistakened her for a model if I didn't know better.

If it's anyone I want to turn the clock back and get the chance to watch live, it's her.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I miss her too... I wish that she would compete again. Why did she quit? I have always wondered about that... I wish that she hadn't quitted :sad21:

maybe she wants to rest and she has already achieved everything there is to win in figure skating. She has also been plagued with injuries. For me, her health is more important than more medals and fame. She has all that already. :)

having said that, I also wish she would do more ice shows. I miss her skating too and her programs, both competitive or exhibition, are just beautiful.

Little confession tho: I wish she'd have used Nessun Dorma as an LP in Olympics and Adios as a gala. :)))

s_parks

Record Breaker
maybe she wants to rest and she has already achieved everything there is to win in figure skating. She has also been plagued with injuries. For me, her health is more important than more medals and fame. She has all that already. :)

I agree. Olympics was her highest goal(she certainly not the only one), and after that, she was almost at a loss for what to do. Add to that the back problems(hence the lack of loop jump and later, no bielmann). Also, I think the fact that she was such a successful skater from a country without a history of notable/famous skaters had a lot to do with it; also, the obsession and pressure that comes from the Korean media, public tends to be OTT in general for notable athletes. The pressure and physical/mental burden had to be on another level because of that. After winning the ogm, why go through that on top of pain from injuries,etc? For those reasons, that's why it irks me when people put down Yuna for having "no heart" in her skating. uh.

Ployliesk8

Rinkside

having said that, I also wish she would do more ice shows. I miss her skating too and her programs, both competitive or exhibition, are just beautiful.

Little confession tho: I wish she'd have used Nessun Dorma as an LP in Olympics and Adios as a gala. :)))
Oh, thank you for the information. I have always wondered why she quitted..:clapper:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Anyone visit the the Olympics.org homepage lately? :hap57:

YogNov2015.fw_zps4cpzdfcp.png

Krislite

Medalist
I miss her too... I wish that she would compete again. Why did she quit? I have always wondered about that... I wish that she hadn't quitted :sad21:

Instead of asking "Why did she quit?", considering this question from Yuna's perspective: "Why keep going?"

I personally can't think of any answer, especially if it gets in the way of other life goals that I think she has had her focus on since retirement.

Still, Yuna had enough in her to even shoot for a second Olympic Gold. What more could you ask?

skaterr

On the Ice
Interview with Alexander Lakernik
Q: Alexander Rafailovich, at the Grand Prix event in Beijing, Chinese skater Boyang Jin was the first skater ever to do 6 quads in the programs, and Russian pair Yuko Kavaguti/Alexander Smirnov did two quad throws, one of which (the quad loop) wasn't ever done by anyone. Many people say it is a revolution in figure skating. Do you also think so?
A: No, I do not. If we talk about six quad jumps, it's just one more than there is now, that men are already attempting and performing. Yes, six quads - it's difficult, it's interesting. But I do not think there have been any revolution, because we need to understand what's actually going on. I see some tendecies that concern me. What am I talking about? Difficult element brings a lot of points as it is. But for some reason, judges sometimes tend to be more forgiving when they assess the quality of extra difficult elements than easier ones. That means, you do a quad, they will forgive you something that they wouldn't forgive in a triple. Moreover, even the components score started to increase when extra difficult elements are included in the program.
I think this is sending the wrong message. If the element is difficult, it will naturally cost more, but its quality should be assessed by exactly the same standards that apply to the quality of a triple. And this is a subject for discussion.
Same with the components that are unlikely to depend on whether a quad or a triple jump is executed. This is one thing. Secondly — to do and to have it done are two different things. Of course, the strongest performances are those that combine highest difficulty and highest quality. Who will be able to achieve it this season? Let's see. Let's go through the remaining Grand Prix events, then the Final, ISU Championships and then we will analyze the results. Do not forget that it is much harder to do difficult elements under pressure of championships. Secondly, they increase the risk of injuries, so I would take it cautiously. This does not mean that I am against the difficulty, I am for it. But our sport consists of two things - complexity and quality, and they must blend together well. It would be wrong to say that complexity trumps everything else. The system is not designed this way.........................
If an athlete executes all difficult elements with high quality and skates well the program, then victory is probably guaranteed. But what do we see? Skater can make mistakes — tthat's one thing. Secondly, due to the complexity of elements he may concentrate only on the extra difficult ones, and then there will be nothing left of a program. But if an athlete manages to get it all together, he will win.

Q: Do you think that more and more athletes will start doing difficult elements?
A: Figure skating will develop. It's a sport, and its motto is: faster, higher, stronger. And no matter what we say, difficulty cannot be limited. However, if there is no quality, you cannot win on difficulty alone. The question is not only what you are doing, but will you be able to do it? And how will you do it? http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...ttee-you-cannot-limit-difficulty-in-fs.96912/

How Adelina Sotnikova beat Yuna Kim
• Sotnikova landed more jumps Sotnikova completed seven triple jumps, while Kim completed six. The jump that Kim didn't attempt – the triple loop – is worth 5.3 points. So that accounts for much of the 5.76-point difference.

• Overall, Sotnikova's program was more difficult Sotnikova's layback spin and footwork were Level 4, while Kim only had Level 3. Overall, the difference in level gave Sotnikova nearly one more point in her favor.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...kim-figure-skating-controversy-135621850.html

"Adelina collected more points. That is really the only way you can describe it," Hamilton said. "If you look at Yuna of the past, this was not a program as difficult as she has done, and she left the opportunity for someone to collect points on that side of the scoring.
"It may not have been as beautiful as Yuna and Carolina, but under the rules and the way it works, she did all that. ... I think it was a just strategy that worked on the night."

It was a strategy based not so much on artistry but on technical superiority. Nothing in the rules says the program must be an artistic masterpiece. Some observers called Kostner's "Bolero" just that Thursday night. Just check off the boxes: great coverage of the ice, connection between steps, execution that is powerful. Sotnikova did that, although her margin of victory of nearly six points was shocking.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/winter-olympics-skating-scandal-petition-tops-16-million/

Am I missing something here??

Warwick360

Medalist
Am I missing something here??

First of all, forget the levels. Adelina's footwork was one of the ugliest footworks I have ever seen. Just kicking through the ice. Did she tick the boxes? Perhaps. But did it have much cohesion with the music or the rest of the program itself. God no. If I was a judge, I'd throw a minus 3 right there and then. Irrational? Perhaps. But no more than the GOEs that were thrown her way.

As for the the strategy part, does the components not matter? Do skating skills not matter? Do transitions mean nothing? In that case, wouldn't we just be seeing girls throwing their Jumps while ignoring the rest of the program?

The mere fact that Adelina got virtually the same component score as Yuna and even trumped both Mao and Carolina for that matter, only says a lot about how the judging was handled.

And I'll just cap it off by saying, the fact that Adelina beat Yuna wouldn't have been surprising. But by the margin that she did? Please.

s_parks

Record Breaker
First of all, forget the levels. Adelina's footwork was one of the ugliest footworks I have ever seen. Just kicking through the ice. Did she tick the boxes? Perhaps. But did it have much cohesion with the music or the rest of the program itself. God no. If I was a judge, I'd throw a minus 3 right there and then. Irrational? Perhaps. But no more than the GOEs that were thrown her way.

As for the the strategy part, does the components not matter? Do skating skills not matter? Do transitions mean nothing? In that case, wouldn't we just be seeing girls throwing their Jumps while ignoring the rest of the program?

The mere fact that Adelina got virtually the same component score as Yuna and even trumped both Mao and Carolina for that matter, only says a lot about how the judging was handled.

And I'll just cap it off by saying, the fact that Adelina beat Yuna wouldn't have been surprising. But by the margin that she did? Please.

I agree, the whole technical argument for the lp doesn't even address the pcs which were beyond ridiculous regardless of what skater you like. Not only that, but there's the fact that she had a way easier jump layout for the sp and was scored overly generously for what she put out. But this is getting back to the old issue, which I want to forget about(call me lame, but I never watched any of the sochi programs after they happened. Too painful).

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
how many times do we have to clear this out!!!!! let us do NOT talk about PCS. TES alone Yuna's BV is only less than 2 points less than Sot's Yet, Yuna performanced 2 flawless programs, Sot's have visible flaws (flutz, stumble and ur). And Sot's step sequence is worse than Yuna's in both levels/difficulty and especially quality (if was judged correctly). If judged correctly according to COP rules, Yuna's TES should be HIGHER than Sot's TES!!!!!!!!!!!!
the Russian tech dude's comments is hilariously ridiculous, so a 3loop worth 5 points, so that explains the difference (I could say I just did one 3loop in my routine, Yuna's donot do 3loop, so I should earn 5 points than Yuna as well. zijun at 2013 world did 7 triple including 3loop perfect clean lp why she get lower TES than Yuna's lp without 3loop...... you get the point). And of course, he is gonna mention the level of stsq, since it is him called the wrong levels. If he as a figure skating professional seriously think that Yuna's stsq is worse than Sot's. SHAME ON HIM.
This is ridiculous in that, he is one of the criminals in Sochi scandal, yet people still interview him(and sorta treat his words as some sorta of wisdom)!!!!!!!! He not only didnot get any scrutinization/punishment for his wrong doing. He is still the authority!!!!!!!!!! This is just pathetic.... (it is like when crime happened, you only trust what the criminal says and treat what the criminal said as truth).
Use any TES win over PCS case is not applicable to Yuna vs Sot in Sochi.
Boyang's TES is almost always at least 15 points higher than his competitors, (not less than 2 point)
TaraL did 2 triple triples at the very end of her perfect clean program vs Kwan's no triple triple program (not Sot's flawed performance vs Yuna's clean ones)
Sounds like, he is promoting technique prowess in figure skating, actually it is just how to manipulate scores/result more secretly, using promoting tech aspect as an pretty excuse.

I despise this Russian Dude!!!!!!!

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
As a Yuna fan, as humble as we are, we should NEVER EVER think less of Yuna. no matter what the so-called "authority" says.
It also applies to So Youn and her fans. Her performances (all her weakness and all), but her performance deserves higher PCS. that is a fact, A truth is a truth.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I agree, the whole technical argument for the lp doesn't even address the pcs which were beyond ridiculous regardless of what skater you like. Not only that, but there's the fact that she had a way easier jump layout for the sp and was scored overly generously for what she put out. But this is getting back to the old issue, which I want to forget about(call me lame, but I never watched any of the sochi programs after they happened. Too painful).

Please re-watch Yuna's Adios nonino (both versions IOC/NBC are great). It was a great performance for ages, if you dont watch it because it is too painful, then you are still a victim of Sochi Scandal.
You should not be, and Yuna's Adios Nonino should not be as well.

Krislite

Medalist
^I agree. After I got over the results, I was able to enjoy the performance and watch it all the way through, several times. It's a great program from her. (Just skip the part where they announce the scores.)

Why are we rehashing Lakernik's tired and bogus argument anyway? They can try and cover up all they want, but their credibility was shot long ago.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Please re-watch Yuna's Adios nonino (both versions IOC/NBC are great). It was a great performance for ages, if you dont watch it because it is too painful, then you are still a victim of Sochi Scandal.
You should not be, and Yuna's Adios Nonino should not be as well.

Oh, of course I have watched it... obviously it's a beautiful program. I'm just so over that event in general. I don't know. i'll say one thing, though- it is an underrated performance/program. I don't think most people really know what adios nonino is about and how it really is meant to be interpreted.

skaterr

On the Ice
Sorry to make you guys so uncomfortable. Lakernik’s comments is quite contradictory to what he had insisted on Sot’s victory. They are not consistent at all. I’m also mad he is still a tech in ISU.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Oh, of course I have watched it... obviously it's a beautiful program. I'm just so over that event in general. I don't know. i'll say one thing, though- it is an underrated performance/program. I don't think most people really know what adios nonino is about and how it really is meant to be interpreted.

underrated or not, people with heart and eyes will understand it. If they don't tell at the moment, time will tell.:)

Sorry guys, I am a little upset... But that Russian dude. I have met him at 2014 SA IIRC. I had an impression, the judging in that event is also very questionable.

Last edited: