Yuna Kim | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Lilith11

On the Ice
OMG... that picture is absolutely priceless, PRICELESS I say. Minjung's adorable, clinging to the streetlight like that LOLS and Yu-na, lols, you bully! XD

silverlake22

Record Breaker

enoh

Rinkside
:laugh: They are just TOO cute! I really hope Min-Jung sticks around for a while, she seems like the kind of skater that can bring joy to the sport, she always seems so silly and happy :agree:. Yuna is soo pretty and kind of looks like her big sister.

This one's funny too. Yuna took the center during photo session after medal ceremony before realizing that she was at the wrong place.

http://newscomm.nate.com/board/view?bbs_grp_gb=SPORTS&bbs_sq=0&ctgr_cd=&post_sq=2401433&page=1

There are pictures of Orser and David with OGM around their necks.

Figure88

On the Ice
On the flipside...where would the motivation to keep training come from? There's a reason why OGMs tend to "cut and run" after the fact. I give her huge credit just for showing up at Worlds actually.

If she can find that motivation then good for her- skating in general will benefit from her presence- but otherwise, probably time to pack it in. She's basically set for life in Korea. It's her decision though. Even those that claim they will continue end up backing out one way or another eventually...(several examples, but in FS, Sarah Hughes comes to mind)

Yuna is an extremely competitive girl. She wouldn't be where she is today if she didn't have such competitive drive, as all the odds were basically stacked against her. She spent most of her life figure skating. What else can she do? I don't think she'll find anything else as fulfulling.

To me, she didn't look unmotivated per se, merely depressed and embarrassed that she couldn't deliver a perfect performance. BTW, she was forced to compete in order to secure her placement at next year's Worlds, as Korea doesn't have any top skater who could do that for her. I think she was just there to get the job done, since her practices didn't go very well and it was likely that she couldn't deliver a perfect performance.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She can do shows...she could even start her own. It's no longer necessary for her to stay under a grueling training routine.

ETA: if she really was forced into competing then shame on the Korean Feds.

Last edited:

Figure88

On the Ice
She can do shows...she could even start her own. It's no longer necessary for her to stay under a grueling training routine.

ETA: if she really was forced into competing then shame on the Korean Feds.

I didn't mean "forced" in that sense. The Korean fed. wasn't forcing her to do anything. She could have skipped Worlds, but there would be a high probability that there she would be denied a spot next year, as there are no Korean skaters who could place highly enough to capture the spots.

hellcat

Rinkside
I didn't mean "forced" in that sense. The Korean fed. wasn't forcing her to do anything. She could have skipped Worlds, but there would be a high probability that there she would be denied a spot next year, as there are no Korean skaters who could place highly enough to capture the spots.

Judging from what happned to Joannie Rochette initially when she announced she's not going, you'll never know what ISU would have done if Yuna said no to ISU World.

cooper

Medalist
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2918530

Yu-na gets a night on the town in Turin
시즌 마친 김연아, '이제 집으로'

The brief time away from the ice and the spotlight was necessary breather for the skater, who faces a hectic schedule once she returns home.

Kim is slated to shoot eight television commercials for products ranging from electronics to automobiles to dairy items, all of which had been put off to let her concentrate on the Olympics.

She also must attend photo shoots and various events organized by her sponsors.

Aside from her dizzying array of commercial obligations, Kim is also set to participate in the “Festa on Ice 2010,” which features world-class skaters such as Kiira Korpi of Finland and Patrick Chan of Canada.

She will practice for about a week before the event, which is set to take place in Jamsil, southern Seoul, from April 16 to 20.

HEH. I don't think she will get her rest maybe a week or 2. LOL.

enoh

Rinkside
Judging from what happned to Joannie Rochette initially when she announced she's not going, you'll never know what ISU would have done if Yuna said no to ISU World.

Didn't Yuna already say eff-u to ISU over 4CC last year?

<p>
I doubt that the Korean fed asked Yuna about this, especially after OGM. But if they insisted, it would probably have been "begging," or "nudging." Do they have any leverage to force her with? Like money, power or millions crazy fans?

hellcat

Rinkside
Didn't Yuna already say eff-u to ISU over 4CC last year?

<p>
I doubt that the Korean fed asked Yuna about this, especially after OGM. But if they insisted, it would probably have been "begging," or "nudging." Do they have any leverage to force her with? Like money, power or millions crazy fans?

And you know what happened when she did that. Back then, she had good excuse. Now, if Joannie's situation wasn't good enought for her to skip (at least until ISU changed their mind), nobody's excused.

Yuna told them she's going long ago. I'm just saying nobody had better excuse than Joannie and that wasn't good enough for ISU.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
She just had a press conference after arriving in Korea an hour ago. Some brief translation about what she said about her seasons and future plan.

Yu-Na said she has really wanted to come back to Korea.
Although she visited Korea right after Olympics, the last time she visited Korea was last August for the ice show. She said "I have wanted to come back to Korea. Whatever I do, It would be really great that I don't have to worry about stress that comes from competitions."
About her second place at Worlds, she said "Although I won the silver medal, I am really glad that I overcame the mental challenges at Worlds"
Looking back her past two seasons where she won gold medals at every competitions she attended (except for 2010 Worlds), she said "there is no single moment that I regret." In 08-09, although she was at second place at Grand Prix Final, it was an opportunity for her to go forward. For this season's Worlds, she doesn't regret because she overcame her mental stress.

About her future plan, she said she will think about that carefully.
"Since I just climbed one mountain, I didn't have time to think about climbing another mountain. I will take some time to think about my plan"

However, she said she has a plan to go back to Toronto in late May or early June like she did last season.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

chloepoco

Medalist
Let’s Give Yu-na Long Vacation

An article by the City Editor of the Korea Times:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2010/03/137_63300.html

I agree that Yuna deserves a break away and really hope she enjoys her stay at home in Korea.

I don't agree with this statement from the city editor, however:

"However hard she may cry, Mao Asada, the eventual winner in Turin and Vancouver's silver medalist, has no other choice but to settle for the perpetual No. 2. Mao is like the soulless Salieri, who was fated to resent God for not allowing him the same genius as that given to Mozart.":eek:hwell:

Bennett

Record Breaker
An article by the City Editor of the Korea Times:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2010/03/137_63300.html

I agree that Yuna deserves a break away and really hope she enjoys her stay at home in Korea.

I don't agree with this statement from the city editor, however:

"However hard she may cry, Mao Asada, the eventual winner in Turin and Vancouver's silver medalist, has no other choice but to settle for the perpetual No. 2. Mao is like the soulless Salieri, who was fated to resent God for not allowing him the same genius as that given to Mozart.":eek:hwell:
I disagree, too, in a sense that I've never seen or read any Mao interviews that imply any sort of resentment against her competitors, rules, or God. But the following statement is one of the things that the author, Mr./Ms. Oh Young-jin, wants to say in this article, regardless of how Mao acts or presents herself as an individual athlete, which gives some context to the above statement of his/hers. I don't suppose that every Korean would agree with the following analysis, either, but that's the way he/she views the situation, which deserves respect for its own right.
To Koreans, Kim Yu-na's golden performance helped restore its inferiority complex in regards to Japan, its savage colonial ruler. But it also represents a Korean coming-of-age of sorts because she won in a sport that has long been considered one that we believed we were cursed only to watch as audience members. Kim Yu-na is no longer an athlete but a symbol bearing Korea's national pride.