Yuna Kim | Page 200 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Eclair

Medalist
Does anyone know what yuna is doing right now? Is she still in college? Or working? Or coaching? I'd would love to hear her doing broadcast commentary :love: or seeing her as a coach in the kiss&cry!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
i found this documentary dubbed in English. maybe has been posted, but I just watched it again. brought back the sweetest memory of my figure skating experience. tears of joy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO74wiYBfwM
Do we have a documentary about Yuna after her sochi farewell. or Does it have an English dubbed version?

Eclair

Medalist
i found this documentary dubbed in English. maybe has been posted, but I just watched it again. brought back the sweetest memory of my figure skating experience. tears of joy.
Do we have a documentary about Yuna after her sochi farewell. or Does it have an English dubbed version?

Just a little sidenote to Aliona's commentary at Yuna's participation at NRW trophy, since the english translation is not really accurate:
she said: 'It's really nice that we (her and Robin) are not alone (meaning they are not the only olympic medalists at this competition) and it's an honour for germany to have Yuna here.'

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States

One of my favorite documentaries about Yuna! I watched this right after her worlds 2013 win :)

skaterr

On the Ice
Yuna is a graduate student majoring in physical education at Korea University. She is a honorary ambassador for lots of organizations I can’t even name. Government likes to use Yuna to promote its goal. She is doing lots of endorsements for major companies. Her mother is CEO of ATS sports agency. I think she could help her. I hope someday Korean laws allows her to own her ice rink. ISU, KSU or whatever do not deserve to have her in. They do not appreciate Yuna. Why she should be a coach? She has other things to do. She even have her own ice show. KSU can't even touch her. But I heard Yuna is helping many Korean skaters in TaeReung(ice rink for national teams). She often go there to practice. She pays heating bills for figure skaters in TR.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Yuna is a graduate student majoring in physical education at Korea University. She is a honorary ambassador for lots of organizations I can’t even name. Government likes to use Yuna to promote its goal. She is doing lots of endorsements for major companies. Her mother is CEO of ATS sports agency. I think she could help her. I hope someday Korean laws allows her to own her ice rink. ISU, KSU or whatever do not deserve to have her in. They do not appreciate Yuna. Why she should be a coach? She has other things to do. She even have her own ice show. KSU can't even touch her. But I heard Yuna is helping many Korean skaters in TaeReung(ice rink for national teams). She often go there to practice. She pays heating bills for figure skaters in TR.

Yuna is really so kind-hearted to support young skaters all these years. If I may ask, why can't she own a rink? What law prevents her from building her own?

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
I'm not sure but I heard that an individual cannot have its ice rink.
In case he or she has built its ice rink, it automatically belongs to Local government.

They even didn't allow her to have Sub rink to practice. Yuna have been asked them to have a rink just for practice for years.
But I guess Local Government want to make money from it. They only want to borrow her name in making huge ice rink.
They constantly changes their promises. Poor yuna KSU just love speed skating I guess.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I share the sentiment with your skaterr (isu ksu whatever did not deserve Yuna, heck ISU actually wanna yuna to retire and KSU just wanna Yuna to earn spots...).
I was reading the NHK thread, i read a comment something like this "the world waited patiently for Carolina (to reach her potential)". And of course for Mao, she will forever to have Japanese fans to hold her up.
i cannot help but feel gutted for Yuna.
Her comeback was never welcomed by ISU or the media, from the scores she gets in 2014 quad to media's generic commentary to her actually much more matured and artistic push-bondory art piece.
However, in people's mind, in figure skating fans mind, Yuna is dearly missed. according to David Wilson in that documentary "everybody in figure skating is soooo happy she is back. ..people havent seen her in a while but everyone was like aouww, so fabulous...."

s_parks

Record Breaker
I'm not sure but I heard that an individual cannot have its ice rink.
In case he or she has built its ice rink, it automatically belongs to Local government.

They even didn't allow her to have Sub rink to practice. Yuna have been asked them to have a rink just for practice for years.
But I guess Local Government want to make money from it. They only want to borrow her name in making huge ice rink.
They constantly changes their promises. Poor yuna KSU just love speed skating I guess.

And KSU can't even manage speed skating/short track properly. Look what happened to Viktor Ahn/Ahn Hyun Soo, and Shin Da Woon bullying/beating a junior skater. Oh yeah, and a 17 year old who got a DUI. Sorry for going slightly OT but I just feel sorry for the promising figure skaters who are just trying the best but have to skate under an incompetent fed.

skaterr

On the Ice
I share the sentiment with your skaterr (isu ksu whatever did not deserve Yuna, heck ISU actually wanna yuna to retire and KSU just wanna Yuna to earn spots...).
I was reading the NHK thread, i read a comment something like this "the world waited patiently for Carolina (to reach her potential)". And of course for Mao, she will forever to have Japanese fans to hold her up.
i cannot help but feel gutted for Yuna.

Her comeback was never welcomed by ISU or the media, from the scores she gets in 2014 quad to media's generic commentary to her actually much more matured and artistic push-bondory art piece.
However, in people's mind, in figure skating fans mind, Yuna is dearly missed. according to David Wilson in that documentary "everybody in figure skating is soooo happy she is back. ..people havent seen her in a while but everyone was like aouww, so fabulous...."

Yuna has a huge fandom in Korea. Yuna fandom is so big that KSU is very careful not to get on fans' nerves. There are not much figure fans in Korea, but she is a Star.The public love Yuna. Many korean fans knew what she had been through. Many fans can't speak english well including me too bad:biggrin: We don't have that much history in figure skating like Japan though.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yuna has a huge fandom in Korea. Yuna fandom is so big that KSU is very careful not to get on fans' nerves. There are not much figure fans in Korea, but she is a Star.The public love Yuna. Many korean fans knew what she had been through. Many fans can't speak english well including me too bad:biggrin: We don't have that much history in figure skating like Japan though.

So, basically, most of those fans, are only Yuna fans not figure skating fans. I am wondering, are those Yuna fans, started to learn figure skating knowledge and becoming more educated in figure skating than before. what is your impression of Korean Yuna fans figure skating literacy evolution over the years.

EDIT: skaterr, your English is terrfic, much better than mine at least:biggrin:

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
I think Yuna fans are much bigger than knowledgeable figure fans. But definitely there are evolution thanks to Yuna. Most of figure skating fans are Yuna fans. There are many communities in Korea. They all love Yuna.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Here's an recent interview with Christine Dzidrum who discussed her books including her children's biography: Yuna Kim Ice Queen. She also wrote one for Joannie Rochette as well as other celebrities, but interestingly it is Yuna they ends up talking the most. Yuna's part was mentioned from 6 minutes part 2 onwards, plus part 3. Many topics were covered including her rivalries with Mao, her Vancouver experience, their encounters and her thoughts on Sochi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFWVqnKCfxU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n84F0k4obyM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQOpkh5sgXo

------

Jackie Wong weighed in on Hanyu joining the GOAT list for figure skating

http://www.rockerskating.com/news/2015/11/28/opining-on-2015-nhk-trophy-yuzuru-hanyus-perfect-storm

...And so it brings me to perhaps the one that compares most in terms of bringing the the jumps and the performance together - Yuna Kim's Olympics win in 2010. Everything about Kim's dominance in Vancouver was incredible - her 23-point margin of victory, her exceptional technical showcase (lack of triple loop is the most obvious omission), and her delivery of both programs. The free skate and total marks she achieved in Vancouver still stand.

To me, the pressure and intensity of the situation is what pulls Kim's Olympics in line with Hanyu's NHK and perhaps surpasses it by just a bit. But for me, Hanyu's NHK performance is the best ever in the men's event.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Her comeback was never welcomed by ISU or the media

I think that's what made her comeback so exciting and amazing at the same time (IMO). It shows her true grit and mad fighting spirit. Sure, the comeback-love would've been nice but her decimating the field and figuratively slapping everyone in the face for not believing in her made the comeback so much sweeter.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yuna's sochi experience however, is really unique in the way that, although she is the one to beat on paper(since she is the reigning world champion at the time). but in reality, nobody (except for her countrymen) wanted she to win.
Yuna at Vancouver, everybody expected she to win, although it is huge pressure on itself, but also, everyone(except for team Mao) is on Yuna's side.
I cannot decide which one is more impactful, but those are certainly completely different obstacles Yuna has to conquer at different time.
I really wish that, there will be a documentary about Yuna's sochi experience, maybe after several years of regurgitation of the whole thing.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think that's what made her comeback so exciting and amazing at the same time (IMO). It shows her true grit and mad fighting spirit. Sure, the comeback-love would've been nice but her decimating the field and figuratively slapping everyone in the face for not believing in her made the comeback so much sweeter.

I didnot read your post until I posted mine, what an coincidence! :biggrin:

True, for me, Yuna's sochi victory is the most .... words fail me.

skaterr

On the Ice
Yuna's sochi experience however, is really unique in the way that, although she is the one to beat on paper(since she is the reigning world champion at the time). but in reality, nobody (except for her countrymen) wanted she to win.
Yuna at Vancouver, everybody expected she to win, although it is huge pressure on itself, but also, everyone(except for team Mao) is on Yuna's side.
I cannot decide which one is more impactful, but those are certainly completely different obstacles Yuna has to conquer at different time.
I really wish that, there will be a documentary about Yuna's sochi experience, maybe after several years of regurgitation of the whole thing.

From what I’ve heard in Korean figure fan site, infamous Dispatch yellow media had waited to reveal Yuna scandal to damage her images after Sochi. They had already planned a scenario to bash her. The reason she had failed to win a gold medal was she had been busy seeing her boyfriend. If she hadn’t done clean program, that scenario would have worked. It is so scary. Yuna fans are still talking about this. There are some people not happy about her fame and fortune.

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
From what I’ve heard in Korean figure fan site, infamous Dispatch yellow media had waited to reveal Yuna scandal to damage her images after Sochi. They had already planned a scenario to bash her. The reason she had failed to win a gold medal was she had been busy seeing her boyfriend. If she hadn’t done clean program, that scenario would have worked. It is so scary. Yuna fans are still talking about this. There are some people not happy about her fame and fortune.

It sucks because her position is definitely thankless despite all her efforts and hard work. Dispatch is a horrible organization, another Korea celebrity once mentioned how they try to extort people for money and threaten their reputation. Literally poison.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

this^. I only knew about Yuna at the later part of 2012 and i was sad she wasn't competing anymore so when she decided to come back, I was overjoyed and she never failed to deliver. In fact, she delivered beyond what is expected (Les Mis at Worlds 2013) and continued doing that until her retirement.

I guess the excitement for Mao's return is because of the lack of a more complete skater in the current field. Those who are on top, at the time when all 3 of Yuna, Mao and Caro weren't competing, only have the technical content but fell short on the artistic side and refinement (Russian skaters) or had the artistry but fell short on the technical side (Ashley, Satoko), or who had a nice balance of both but fell short on consistency (Gracie Gold). And also because skaters are getting generous PCS these days. With Mao's come back, there is at least hope that PCS will calm down and if it were to still be inflated, at least it will go to someone who really deserves high PCS. *but as we can all see, this is not happening right now so idk.

I just love it when Yuna was somehow an underdog in both Worlds 2013 and 2014 Olympics, and then she just blew everyone away with pairs of well executed brilliant programs. I still feel like SITC should be the world record right now.