Yuna Kim | Page 203 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
My very first post here. Although I'm a fan of Yuna, I joined the GS after her retirement and the whole Sochi things, so I was not so inclined to leave posts here in a cheerful mood which I usually do in other skaters' fanfests. I always think that skaters in active for competition need extra supports and feedback from fans, while she seems doing pretty well after the retirement.

However, I think being a fan of her here is demanding a great amount of energy and time to people like me who wants to remain a casual figure skating lover. :laugh: I lurked the forum sporadically before GS allowed the viewing to only registered users, and sensed that many sensible people left the forum or quit leaving posts after Sochi; totally understandable. It is kind of weary to talk with people with different views including trolls. I wonder why people can't be happy just with their favorite skaters.

I hope to her new EX programs and shows in a near future because we know she is so special on ice.

i wonder about it too, critcism is one thing but why waste your precious time on someone you dont like at all :confused2: anyway welcome to The Queen's Kingdom!!! i hope you will post more often cause every skater needs support regardless of they are retired or not :biggrin: though i understand you, i cant watch her Sochi programs without getting teary :sad21: but at the same time she gave us too much to be happy about!:cheer:

and about her returning just for the 2018, i can already see the hate she would get if she does, taking things granted etc, so i hope she wont come back but i would LOVE to see her at Gala!!! :love:

begin

Medalist
I would. I take her at her word that Sochi was her "Swan Song". I wish people and especially fans would stop questioning her resolve and by resolve I mean to the degree that it also includes any "official" pressure as well.

I don't think they understand how reluctant she was to come back in the first place. It's odd that some people don't think she's had enough because Yuna never minced words about how skating was more painful than it was enjoyable.

skaterr

On the Ice
I would. I take her at her word that Sochi was her "Swan Song". I wish people and especially fans would stop questioning her resolve and by resolve I mean to the degree that it also includes any "official" pressure as well.

I totally agree with you. I think someone who keep bringing this issue is not her true fans. Korean Yuna fans are ready to protest once again if there’s a pressure from KSU. We know how KSU vice president Ms. Lee did after what had happened in Sochi. She showed up every broadcasting company insisting that Yuna was not enough. She didn’t do anything for Yuna and Yuna fans. KSU just pretended they did something but it turned out all fake moves. How dare KSU or other officials from government pressure her to comeback. They better not get on her fans nerves indeed.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I don't think they understand how reluctant she was to come back in the first place. It's odd that some people don't think she's had enough because Yuna never minced words about how skating was more painful than it was enjoyable.

I totally agree with you. I think someone who keep bringing this issue is not her true fans. Korean Yuna fans are ready to protest once again if there’s a pressure from KSU. We know how KSU vice president Ms. Lee did after what had happened in Sochi. She showed up every broadcasting company insisting that Yuna was not enough. She didn’t do anything for Yuna and Yuna fans. KSU just pretended they did something but it turned out all fake moves. How dare KSU or other officials from government pressure her to comeback. They better not get on her fans nerves indeed.

I think that only a very willing and dedicated athlete could have achieved the results that Yuna achieved from 2012-2014. I guess the the KSU talked her into returning to competiton in the first place, but it makes me kind of sad that it is so widely believed that she didn't enjoy it.
What I don't understand is - how could the KSU have put pressure on Yuna (I read that a couple of times now and I always wondered)? I can understand that they wanted her to return, but what hold could they have had on her?

MiRé

Match Penalty
I think that only a very willing and dedicated athlete could have achieved the results that Yuna achieved from 2012-2014. I guess the the KSU talked her into returning to competiton in the first place, but it makes me kind of sad that it is so widely believed that she didn't enjoy it.
What I don't understand is - how could the KSU have put pressure on Yuna (I read that a couple of times now and I always wondered)? I can understand that they wanted her to return, but what hold could they have had on her?

There were many rumors that KSU would build an official skating rink for figure dkaters if Yuna were to go to Worlds 2010,2011, and 2014 Olympics. Sadly, it did not happen........

skaterr

On the Ice

I don’t think she didn’t enjoyed her skating. How could she do that well if she didn’t enjoyed it? It’s like sochi commentators keep saying she looks tired or she doesn’t look lively or whatever. There are no concrete facts to blame her. They criticized her attitude instead.
Yuna had made big contributions in hosting Olympic games. I think she got some responsibilities by herself. Her participation at sochi was quite understandable. She really well represented our nation very beautifully.
KSU can’t make her return. KSU officials can say something stupid to the public about Yuna. And a certain senator said right after sochi Yuna should participate in Olympics 2018 so Netizens bashed him. I’m just worrying some officials make some remarks without thoughtful details.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
There were many rumors that KSU would build an official skating rink for figure dkaters if Yuna were to go to Worlds 2010,2011, and 2014 Olympics. Sadly, it did not happen........
Ok, thanks for that info. I can see that she might have wanted to support her fellow skaters.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I don’t think she didn’t enjoyed her skating. How could she do that well if she didn’t enjoyed it? It’s like sochi commentators keep saying she looks tired or she doesn’t look lively or whatever. There are no concrete facts to blame her. They criticized her attitude instead.
Yuna had made big contributions in hosting Olympic games. I think she got some responsibilities by herself. Her participation at sochi was quite understandable. She really well represented our nation very beautifully.
KSU can’t make her return. KSU officials can say something stupid to the public about Yuna. And a certain senator said right after sochi Yuna should participate in Olympics 2018 so Netizens bashed him. I’m just worrying some officials make some remarks without thoughtful details.
I also think that she must have enjoyed skating. She always was very concentrated and introverted in her preparation and training sessions, Sochi wasn't any different. And I don't think that competing at this high level is particularly enjoyable, especially the preparation right before the competiton. Handling that pressure. I think that the commentators didn't appreciate her programs much, the mood of both programs was melancholic. A perfect Good-by, but not the shining sexy star that they remembered from four years earlier.

skaterr

On the Ice
I also think that she must have enjoyed skating. She always was very concentrated and introverted in her preparation and training sessions, Sochi wasn't any different. And I don't think that competing at this high level is particularly enjoyable, especially the preparation right before the competiton. Handling that pressure. I think that the commentators didn't appreciate her programs much, the mood of both programs was melancholic. A perfect Good-by, but not the shining sexy star that they remembered from four years earlier.

Sochi camera work was a disaster. It’s more like a terror I guess. It was a perfect set up to bring her down. It's a shame indeed.

paperhearts

Final Flight
I was looking at the SKorean Nationals results and was searching for Yuna's first National title at 12 years old when I came across this article from 2004.

“What do I really want to do? I want to hang out with my friends. What don’t I like to do? My mom would scold me if I say this. Frankly, I hate skating. It’s so tiresome. I’m sick of it.” And yet this tiny girl loved her country so much to overcome her hate for skating to compete... :sad21: I think the tiresome feeling of skating never went away, particularly post-Vancouver, but her responsibility to her country shows through her continuing to compete.

I also think the talk about the quadruples were funny in retrospect, but otherwise I enjoyed having a glimpse into the past. :biggrin: I liked this line too: "The day when Korea is an underdeveloped country of figure skating no more is coming soon." Very fitting now, especially right after the demonstration of the young South Korean skaters. The sport developed so much as Yuna rose and inspired many to start skating; now we're seeing the results with Young You winning the National Title at 12 and many youngsters landing those 3-3s.

gourry

Final Flight
I don't know how it fits chronologically, but Yuna indeed quit skating around that time of interview for a few months. Yuna's mom also said in her book that Yuna went through quite dynamic adolescent period(also around that time I guess) and she realized that she couldn't make her daughter to do something she didn't want to any more. But after few months Yuna changed her coach(to coach Shin) and came back to skating. I guess she wasn't just sick of skating after all. :) I think Yuna loved skating but hated training, and not so good for Yuna, those two are inseparable in elite level.

paperhearts

Final Flight
I don't know how it fits chronologically, but Yuna indeed quit skating around that time of interview for a few months. Yuna's mom also said in her book that Yuna went through quite dynamic adolescent period(also around that time I guess) and she realized that she couldn't make her daughter to do something she didn't want to any more. But after few months Yuna changed her coach(to coach Shin) and came back to skating. I guess she wasn't just sick of skating after all. :) I think Yuna loved skating but hated training, and not so good for Yuna, those two are inseparable in elite level.

I searched for some more details about that time and found this article. I agree with you that Yuna loved skating, but perhaps the pressure of being crowned the "future of South Korean figure skating" and expectations of success added to an onset of puberty and injuries that at that time she felt so burnt out that she considered quitting skating altogether. :think:

From the link:
Probably It may have been a certain kind of emptiness rather than the hard work that was frustrating for YuNa. She just could not find what she was skating for. She herself was well aware of that she was not able to pull out her best performances for the reason of the injury and physical changes. But no matter how many times she tumbled in her performances, She could win the fist place because the depth and tradition of figure skating in Korea was too shallow. The perspective of the future was just precarious. Even with looking around her, there was no one to give the answer. She just didn't find the answer to the questions ; 'What am I skating for to midnight in this cold ice rink with all these injuries?' 'Am I just supposed to go to college in this way like others?'.

If Yuna had quit/left skating at that time, I wonder how different South Korean skating would be today...

gourry

Final Flight
I searched for some more details about that time and found this article. I agree with you that Yuna loved skating, but perhaps the pressure of being crowned the "future of South Korean figure skating" and expectations of success added to an onset of puberty and injuries that at that time she felt so burnt out that she considered quitting skating altogether. :think:

From the link:

If Yuna had quit/left skating at that time, I wonder how different South Korean skating would be today...

Thanks! That article was an interesting read. :)
I'm just glad and grateful that 12 year old Yuna decided to come back to skating.

skaterr

On the Ice

She tried to stop her skating once when her father's business went wrong not because she didn't like her skating but because her financial condition was not good. I don't know why some tried to convince people she didn't like skating or not. Please stop it. Doing figure skating in korea is very difficult. Most young girls have to skate early in the moring or late at night. But I heard Yuna always woke up early when she was a girl. She loved her skating.

begin

Medalist
She tried to stop her skating once when her father's business went wrong not because she didn't like her skating but because her financial condition was not good. I don't know why some tried to convince people she didn't like skating or not. Please stop it. Doing figure skating in korea is very difficult. Most young girls have to skate early in the moring or late at night. But I heard Yuna always woke up early when she was a girl. She loved her skating.

No one is saying she hates skating. Every skater at her level loves to compete and perform but almost none love the everyday work it takes to get there. Why would you expect them to love it? Between the grueling hours of practice and painful effects on the body, the training an athlete takes on isn't something to romanticize. I have no problems with Yuna (and many other champions) admitting to hating the process. What makes them incredible is their dedication to their sport in spite of hating it.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
Do you have a souce that she is hating a skating? I understand you are a huge mao fan. Are you satisfied or relived someone insisted on yuna hating skating theory. I hope you do not belive some kind of propaganda from yuna haters. They just need a reason to hate her. Are there any similar case like this?

randomfan

Record Breaker
Do you have a souce that she is hating a skating? I understand you are a huge mao fan. Are you satisfied or relived someone insisted on yuna hating skating theory. I hope you do not belive some kind of propaganda from yuna haters. They just need a reason to hate her. Are there any similar case like this?

Okay, there are a few things wrong with what you said:
1. It wasn't a theory. Someone posted an article of a young Yuna Kim LITERALLY ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE in which she said that she hated skating. There is nothing wrong with Yuna hating skating at that age because South Korea knew nothing about figure skating and she was running into financial trouble. But she decided to continue and grew to love skating. Please pay attention to the whole discussion.
2. Why is every person that hates Yuna considered a Mao fan? It's because of these crazy words that Mao fans and Yuna fans bash on each other, because they ALMOST ALWAYS make a comment which sets up a big comparison and lots of debates. You are just making people cringe even more when you say something like that.
3. Why would a Yuna hater even post here in the first place? Yes, there are trolls all around, but the original poster clearly stated that he/she came across the article while searching for something about Young You.
4. begin wasn't even saying anything bad about Yuna...at all actually. All skaters have to go through lots of pain and hard work to be a top athlete. It's understandable if the sport becomes an annoyance once in a while, because of all the sacrifices one has to make to get that far.

Please read the previous comments more carefully next time.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
There are lots of articles about yuna. Her comments can be interpreted differently.
Begin is mao fan actually.
Do you think yuna haters do not write in yuna thread? Why don't you read previous comments?
"All skaters have to go through lots of pain and hard work to be a top athlete" Why there are no mao or caro hating skating theory then. why they pick yuna only?