Yuna Kim | Page 204 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

gourry

Final Flight
skaterr, I don't even know where to begin. Since you quoted me....

You really need to read the whole story here. Had you done that, you'd know I'm actually on your side-explaining that Yuna didn't hate skating.
On the previous page, there was an article given that quoted Yuna saying she hated skating. And I was giving a perspective on that. Yuna was going through rough period around that time, and nobody forced her about her career even her mother, so Yuna decided to take some time off from skating, but after a few months she came back, on her own term, which indicates that Yuna didn't hate skating after all. Hope you get my logic here.

I assume you have some idea what kind of training skaters go through to prepare that 2 min 50 sec SP and 4 min FP. They spend hours a day for physical training which causes physical pain. If you LOVE doing hundreds of squats and push-ups, and hour's of running, good for you! I don't. I wouldn't be surprised if Yuna hated it, and it wouldn't change my respect and love for Yuna at all either. It is just normal. What's remarkable is doing it religiously every day, for 19 years even though you don't particularly love. That's what Yuna did. I admire that dedication. And I think Yuna could do it only because she truly loved skating. Does hating some part of the process makes your love for skating any lesser? I don't agree.

And please stop accusing someone Mao fan or Yuna hater when you read something you don't like. It's just juvenile.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
"I assume you have some idea what kind of training skaters go through to prepare that 2 min 50 sec SP and 4 min FP. They spend hours a day for physical training which causes physical pain. If you LOVE doing hundreds of squats and push-ups, and hour's of running, good for you! I don't. I wouldn't be surprised if Yuna hated it, and it wouldn't change my respect and love for Yuna at all either. It is just normal. What's remarkable is doing it religiously every day, for 19 years even though you don't particularly love. That's what Yuna did. I admire that dedication. And I think Yuna could do it only because she truly loved skating. Does hating some part of the process makes your love for skating any lesser? I don't agree"

Lets say top skaters hate hard training process including mao caro and yuna.

begin

Medalist
There are lots of articles about yuna. Her comments can be interpreted differently.
Begin is mao fan actually.
Do you think yuna haters do not write in yuna thread? Why don't you read previous comments?
"All skaters have to go through lots of pain and hard work to be a top athlete" Why there are no mao or caro hating skating theory then. why they pick yuna only?

??????

a) This is a general skating forum where many members love more than one skater. Why assume I hate Yuna just because I'm a Mao fan? It should be very clear that I adore them both.

b) I specifically mentioned other champions along with Yuna who have similarly expressed the pain of training. I do not criticize them for their feelings. My respect and admiration for them is only heightened by their hard work and perseverance.

I assume English is not your first language but it helps if you don't just assume everyone is out to attack Yuna. What many fans in here are trying to say is that it's perfectly fine if Yuna hated skating at any point in her career because being a skater is insanely demanding (both physically and emotionally). It doesn't mean that we think she doesn't love the sport in general.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
Yuna did not hate skating. Why you keep saying this? Top skaters including your favorite mao hate just hard training process.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Who cares if Yuna loved or hated skating (I personally don't think she was enamoured with it). She got the medals and left great performances. That's what counts.

skaterr

On the Ice
I didn't started it first. I just wonder who would dare say someone hate skating in their fan thread. I would not. If top skaters are mostly hate hard training process, yuna is the only one who is said. Keeping career long not necessarily love skating. They just need more medals. What matters is quality not quantity.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Yuna did not hate skating. Why you keep saying this? Top skaters including your favorite mao hate just hard training process.

In a previous comment, you said that there are many different ways of translations for interviews. But there really is no way to not conclude that what she was saying was that she hated skating. It could've been translated as, "I hate going on the ice every single day", or "I hate that I have to keep going along with this in my life", but you get the general idea. And given the circumstances, it's completely fine for her to feel like that. You're considering that a skater hating skating is a crime, since you keep going against what the article said. Admittedly, it's odd if a veteran with lots of career accomplishments suddenly said they hated skating after all that. But Yuna was very young. It's completely understandable. And no-one ever said that she hated skating for her whole entire career. Because if she did, then what was her motivation for all these years? Why did she decide to continue her career? Why was her goal the Olympic gold? Why did she skate with such fire in her senior career? Why does she still continue to support young Koreans? Why did she want a figure skating rink built in South Korea so badly? She even said multiple times after 2009 Worlds that she loved to skate. She hated skating in the past, but not now. And the past is not important now. Mentally, someone who hates a sport for an entire career will never get as far as Yuna has.

And also, figure skating is not easy. You seem to know that it's a hard training process. Obviously something like that creates stress and sometimes skaters want to give up. So what's wrong with others hating the process? And also, STOP MENTIONING MAO IN EVERYTHING. What do the other skaters have to do with this anyways? This was an article about Yuna only and it did not even hint at mentioning other skaters. Also, there are no Yuna haters in this discussion. Even if there was a Yuna hater, why is that person assumed to be a Mao fan immediately? Someone may not like both Yuna and Mao and be completely crazy over teen skaters. Please do not make everything sound like Yuna vs. Mao.

I didn't started it first. I just wonder who would dare say someone hate skating in their fan thread. I would not. If top skaters are mostly hate hard training process, yuna is the only one who is said. Keeping career long not necessarily love skating. They just need more medals. What matters is quality not quantity.

You're completely right about it being rude if someone said that a skater hated skating in a fan thread. But the person posted an article OF THE PAST in the fan thread, which mentioned that Yuna hated skating. And Yuna's past before her senior career was nothing like Yuna's senior career.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
I just wonder there are lots of articles her fans can hardly keep up and how they pick up that article and keep saying it.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Why are you so intent on policing what others can and cannot say in this thread? "Dare to say something" is so juvenile.

So what if it's true she did not like skating? It's nothing to get hung up on because it doesn't detract anything from her accomplishments.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
Mao or Caro can hate skating too. Why don't you say that in their fan thread. How do you know that? Yuna was not the only one who did hard training. Strong feds, European merits or ISU president wouldn't have been that helpful. They must have been through very hard training process.

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
Mao or Caro can hate skating too. Why don't you say that in their fan thread. How do you know that? Yuna was not the only one who did hard training. Strong feds, European merits or ISU president wouldn't have been that helpful. They must have been through very hard training process.

Honey, just let it go. I don't care if Caro or Mao may or may not hated skating at some point in their careers just like I don't care if Yuna may or may not hated skating. It's not a big deal. It doesn't change anything.
There just happened to be an article with Yuna's interview. That's all. Caro and Mao may or may not expressed similar thing in somewhere, I don't know because I'm not that into them. But I'm pretty sure if that was the case, their fans would have talked about it as well. Maybe they are already doing it. Did you go read every post in their fan threads? I wouldn't know, again, I'm not that into them and I don't go there.

By the way, have you actually read the article posted here? It was actually quite interesting and nice. It made me understand what she was going through at that time, what she felt and thought, and made me adore her even more. It just shows how sophisticated and mature young lady Yuna was even at the age of 12, and it makes you to relate to her even more as a real person, not just a superstar. You are trying to deny 12 year old Yuna's feeling.... Please don't. She is a real person who could feel pain and frustrations at times.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
Sorry if I made you so uncomfortable, I apologize. I'm not trying to deny 12 year old Yuna's feeling. If the article you brought up here was from the book. Do you know korean name or english name of the book? Korean book will be much better to understand for me or there would no misunderstanding. I only know her reason for quitting skating was her financial condition. I saw her documentary and I saw her mother being interviewed.

skaterr

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZomZTW3pVY
Here is a documentary I saw.
15 minutes to 19 minutes eng sub I just wrote.
The skates are crushing her ankles. Once the skates collapse, the folded parts keep hurting her ankles. Skates are troublesome. It has been only 2 weeks since she changed into new skates. They are already crumbled badly; they had to call the training for the day. For a recent year, new skates are the biggest problem to Yuna and her mother. We have to change the blade on the left skate, quickly. It just keeps bending. This is driving me crazy. Skates are one thing, but the blades are a bigger problem. pd: Why do thoses blades keep bending? When the blades are not even, they get warped due to the shock from a jump's landing. Though made of steel, it is still a bit soft. Hitting it lightly sometimes brings it back to its normal place. But this one seems to be placed at a wrong position, basically. The blade needs to be positioned exactly on the center of gravity for her foot, yet this center is hard to find. Last September when the boots issue had gotten worse, Yuna kim fell three times during her performances at the exhibition provided by a company. Yuna seemed like a different person. Not the one who has swept Junior figure skating competitions. There is no expert on skate boots in Korea. While trying out the new boots, then replacing the blade and trying it on again for hundreds of times, Her injury persisted. When the boots are already distorted a lot, however hard we try to adjust it right, the boots cannot support the landing of jumps. So she had injuries on her hips, knees, and ankles. Boots are extremely crucial, you know. A pair of boots that fit perfectly and blades that are centered just right. These are very important. Well, Yuna is very sensitive to all that, so it is exceedingly hard to find the right pair. The boots bought last summer from overseas training in Canada, were not properly balanced, either. Her mother fought to make it right for two months.
Yet, they could not find a solution until right before her Senior debut, which eventually made them decided to quit skating at all. Yuna : Every single time I needed to get a new pair, I had to struggles so much, which tired me out. We couldn't find any boots that fit me. I started to lose my confidence. That made me hate to skate for a while back then. Mother : No one could solve the boots issue at that time... No one. I tried to refit them, but it didn't solve the problem. Yuna wanted to practice, but she simply couldn't do enough. So at that time, we were so fed up with the situation and were about to give up every day.

ava

On the Ice

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
This would be so great if it's true but I've read the comments below the article, and some say that there is a mistake in translation and these are just the celebrities that guested on IC in the past.

Ah thanks! Reread it the article again and they're right :agree:

skaterr

On the Ice
Yes.. It's a three year contract till 2018. Young Yoo looks very happy to be a part of ATS which her role model runs. She seems a very smart girl. Korean media lured her to answer some stupid questions, she answered it very cleverly.