Yuna Kim | Page 211 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Warwick360

Medalist
There was this question(s) I had wanted to ask for quite sometime but every time I thought I'd post here, I'd later forget to do so. So I'm laying all down here to see if I can find my answers.

Lately, I've looked at score sheets where the Judgement by the tech caller doesn't make sense to me. Like the moment where Yuzuzu did a 3Lz-1Loop-3Sal in Olympics, but was only recognised with 3Lz-1Loop-SEQ (Meaning lesser marks)

But since this is a Yuna thread (even though I would be glad if someone could give me an explanation for the Olympic example above), I'm typing here to give two examples of Yuna's deductions that I simply didn't get from the technical caller (which doesn't involve the edge calls on flip that one might consider unfair or the step sequence level at Sochi LP). So here it goes:-

1) The Spiral Sequence from World's 2008 SP. https://youtu.be/dqrrk1xxZBA?t=1m10s
The edge change seems to be there. The positions and the speed seem to be there. And the time of the position held seem to be all right. So I don't understand how this Sequence got a Level 1. :confused:

2) and this one was a truly confounding one.... https://youtu.be/aUPli-YWzWw?t=4m49s
I think she got marked for an invalidated position on the last combination spin, which equated to 0 points for the last spin combination. At first I thought, it was because she had done the canonball position twice. But then I realised she had done the same for Vancouver and was granted points. It's not even a case of using the same leg twice for both cannonball. So I was wondering if someone had picked on why she got penalised for it.:unsure:

gourry

Final Flight
There was this question(s) I had wanted to ask for quite sometime but every time I thought I'd post here, I'd later forget to do so. So I'm laying all down here to see if I can find my answers.

Lately, I've looked at score sheets where the Judgement by the tech caller doesn't make sense to me. Like the moment where Yuzuzu did a 3Lz-1Loop-3Sal in Olympics, but was only recognised with 3Lz-1Loop-SEQ (Meaning lesser marks)

But since this is a Yuna thread (even though I would be glad if someone could give me an explanation for the Olympic example above), I'm typing here to give two examples of Yuna's deductions that I simply didn't get from the technical caller (which doesn't involve the edge calls on flip that one might consider unfair or the step sequence level at Sochi LP). So here it goes:-

1) The Spiral Sequence from World's 2008 SP. https://youtu.be/dqrrk1xxZBA?t=1m10s
The edge change seems to be there. The positions and the speed seem to be there. And the time of the position held seem to be all right. So I don't understand how this Sequence got a Level 1. :confused:

2) and this one was a truly confounding one.... https://youtu.be/aUPli-YWzWw?t=4m49s
I think she got marked for an invalidated position on the last combination spin, which equated to 0 points for the last spin combination. At first I thought, it was because she had done the canonball position twice. But then I realised she had done the same for Vancouver and was granted points. It's not even a case of using the same leg twice for both cannonball. So I was wondering if someone had picked on why she got penalised for it.:unsure:

I don't know about 1), but about 2), I remember reading that the spin had to have flying entrance. Up until GPF, she indeed did flying camel spin and had no level problem. For some reason she didn't do so at the Worlds. It seemed intended, because she also did it without flying during practice session. My guess is someone on her team who was in charge of those technical stuff didn't double-check and made a mistake in figuring out and distributing level features.
But in the end, that was the historic competition where she broke 200 barrier for the first time and nobody seemed to care about that minor(?) hiccup. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
I don't know about 1), but about 2), I remember reading that the spin had to have flying entrance. Up until GPF, she indeed did flying camel spin and had no level problem. For some reason she didn't do so at the Worlds. It seemed intended, because she also did it without flying during practice session.
But in the end, that was the historic competition where she broke 200 barrier for the first time and nobody seemed to care about that minor(?) hiccup. :biggrin:

I checked on that too. Unless they changed the rules after Worlds 2009 (which I don't know about), from the look of Vancouver, the final spin didn't need a flying entry, since she didn't do it in 2010 Olympics.

And amen to the last part. :laugh:

seabm7

Final Flight

I looked at the 3Lz-1Loop-3Sal jump pass you mentioned carefully. After the middle 1Loop, Yuzuru ran out of energy, so his free was touching the ice for a while before he starts the 3Sal. In such a case, it's considered as a step, which breaks down the combination. There should be no step between the jumps in a jump-combination.

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
I looked at the 3Lz-1Loop-3Sal jump pass you mentioned carefully. After the middle 1Loop, Yuzuru ran out of energy, so his free was touching the ice for a while before he starts the 3Sal. In such a case, it's considered as a step, which breaks down the combination. There should be no step between the jumps in a jump-combination.

Thanks. The way the skaters usually take off, I assumed that skaters used their free leg to do the take off for the Salchow; that is until you pointed it out. Had to do some slow play on youtube to get a better look of how the salchow is supposed to take off.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Thanks. The way the skaters usually take off, I assumed that skaters used their free leg to do the take off for the Salchow; that is until you pointed it out. Had to do some slow play on youtube to get a better look of how the salchow is supposed to take off.

according to textbook 3S only take off solely from left leg. free leg should not touch ice.
some skaters free leg is very close to ice almost seems like skimming ice.
But for Yuzuru's 4S, he uses two leg take off technique. the free leg indeed touches ice and help with his lift. but moriarity weight should still be put on take off leg.
but 3S, should be 99% on take off leg.
as for Yuzuru's OG long case. I didnot go back and re-watch it.but I recalled that the invalidation is due to there is a break in-between, so cannot count as combo but a sequence. pretty much others described above

randomfan

Record Breaker

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I don't know about 1), but about 2), I remember reading that the spin had to have flying entrance. Up until GPF, she indeed did flying camel spin and had no level problem. For some reason she didn't do so at the Worlds. It seemed intended, because she also did it without flying during practice session. My guess is someone on her team who was in charge of those technical stuff didn't double-check and made a mistake in figuring out and distributing level features.

I checked on that too. Unless they changed the rules after Worlds 2009 (which I don't know about), from the look of Vancouver, the final spin didn't need a flying entry, since she didn't do it in 2010 Olympics.

And amen to the last part. :laugh:

It was because she didn't have a flying entrance to her first combination spin in 2009, it invalidated her final spin because it was also a combination spin, if you do 2 combination spins in the FS one should be a flying combination spin, she had hip problems practicing the flying entrance so she was forgoing it in practice but would do it when it came to competition time so ensure that she would not be injured while practicing but she accidentally forgot it and her team forgot to follow up, everyone blamed themselves after but she was just so far ahead of the pack, didn't matter. She performs the spin with the flying entrance at the Olympics so she got all the points.

And about that spiral question, I'm not really sure =P

Warwick360

Medalist
It was because she didn't have a flying entrance to her first combination spin in 2009, it invalidated her final spin because it was also a combination spin, if you do 2 combination spins in the FS one should be a flying combination spin, she had hip problems practicing the flying entrance so she was forgoing it in practice but would do it when it came to competition time so ensure that she would not be injured while practicing but she accidentally forgot it and her team forgot to follow up, everyone blamed themselves after but she was just so far ahead of the pack, didn't matter. She performs the spin with the flying entrance at the Olympics so she got all the points.

And about that spiral question, I'm not really sure =P

Oh ok. Thanks. That makes it so clear to me now.:bow:

But if someone does/did a LSP for the free skate, would it have been right for me to presume only one flying entry, out of 3 combos? Because I think that was what threw me off back then. But regardless, thanks. :biggrin:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yuna is prettier than K-pop stars, yup, I said that out loud :party2::luv17::love::eek::
Yuna's feet!!!!! no scar tissue anymore.
I remembered that before Yuna's retirement, in many of her commercials photos (like the ones with a little light blue dress or the cereal commercial?). Her feet and ankles were covered with scar tissues, injury marks etc. Some of them are not even get photoshopped out.

Proxy

On the Ice
Yuna fans, anytime I hear a tango I think about Yuna skating. El Tango de Roxanne. Adios Nonino. Don't we all?

So I was watching this wonderful silent film from 1921 last night called Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. There is a famous tango scene toward the beginning that made Rudy Valentino a superstar. If you can watch this scene sometime the Tango is amazing. Don't watch any altered score, you'll want to see the real deal with the sultry Argentinian tango. There is no Bandoneon used widely yet in those days, so a fuller range of emotions is lacking to something like Adios Nonino, but the Tango has more energy and flare. It's worth a look to check it out sometime. What would Yuna look like skating to this music?

And anyway, does anyone know the name to the Tango or if any other skaters have used it before? Thanks!