Yuna Kim | Page 217 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

skaterr

On the Ice
Again I am not blaming ALL South Korean fans. I am blaming the people I observed specifically. The problem is they did not want to be enlightened. They want to hunt down everyone on social media and fight with them. I stopped engaging them because they wanted to argue with me and saying that I wasn't doing enough to reverse the decision.

Don't take my comments as a generalization, I am speaking to an experience and a specific set of fans. I think you are misreading my meaning here. I think I am finished discussing this issue with you because you clearly feel attacked by a misinterpretation.

Let me phrase it this way:

There are so many ways to appreciate Kim Yuna. The way in which I have observed a specific group of people was not a good way of appreciating her. Kim Yuna did not just skate for herself and her country, but she skated for the love of sport and what a shame that some could not appreciate the sport side.

I don’t know who’s your favorite skater but Yuna is not just a skater. She is an ICON in Korea. She is a public figure. Yuna has many different kinds of fans. Even though some of her fans do not know figure skating, that should not be the reason to be blamed. Maybe you have no Yuna Kim in your country, so you have no idea what is like. If you’re a Yuna fan, you have to deal with it.

lyndichee

Medalist
You aren't reading my entire posts. You are grabbing assumptions and picking what you want to use against me.

I don’t know who’s your favorite skater

I wrote earlier that without Kim Yuna I wouldn't be interested in figure skating.

She is an ICON in Korea. She is a public figure. Yuna has many different kinds of fans. Even though some of her fans do not know figure skating, that should not be the reason to be blamed.

I never denied that anywhere. In fact, Yuna is the reason Maxim coffee sells so well in South Korea. Even before I was into figure skating, I was a fan of Korean music. Every time a list was published about who was the marketable celebrity in South Korea, Kim Yuna's name was always amongst the top 3 with stars like Won Bin, Kim Tae Hee, Rain etc. I am not ignorant of this.

I did not blame ALL her fans who did not know about figure skating. I blamed the people I observed who were picking fights and attacking people without having any knowledge of the sport. You can't tell people their assessment is wrong if you don't even know how to break down the scoring sheet. It is like saying "iPhone sucks" but not knowing anything about camera technology, security features, software, warranty etc.

Maybe you have no Yuna Kim in your country, so you have no idea what is like. If you’re a Yuna fan, you have to deal with it.

Ah yes, nobody outside of South Korea will know then? That is such a ridiculous argument. I said specifically the people I observed, I am not criticizing you or the country as a whole.

I stand by my previous statement. If you disagree with any part of this statement, feel free to let me know and I will elaborate but I don't appreciate you being condescending to me just because I am not from your country and "just don't understand".

Again I am not blaming ALL South Korean fans. I am blaming the people I observed specifically.

There are so many ways to appreciate Kim Yuna. The way in which I have observed a specific group of people was not a good way of appreciating her. Kim Yuna did not just skate for herself and her country, but she skated for the love of sport and what a shame that some could not appreciate the sport side.

skaterr

On the Ice
^^
So… Yuna fans should policing other ignorant fans in social media?? There are many kinds of fans. Maybe the people you observed are the people who they are. They just happen to be Yuna fans. What do you want from here? Do you want me to say that Hey Korean friends do not attack people in social media? Or Do you want to label Yuna fans as Evil creatures.?

I don’t care if you stand by your previous statements or not.

lyndichee

Medalist
^^
So… Yuna fans should policing other ignorant fans in social media?? There are many kinds of fans. Maybe the people you observed are the people who they are. They just happen to be Yuna fans. What do you want from here? Do you want me to say that Hey Korean friends do not attack people in social media? Or Do you want to label Yuna fans as Evil creatures.?

I don’t care if you stand by your previous statements or not.

You're not even arguing the main point of what I am saying. You're just picking a part what you want. That is not a discussion, it is just an opportunity for you to attack me.

Yuna fans shouldn't be policing. Stop assuming. I never said that.

I said it was a shame that they didn't actually appreciate the sport itself.

No one was labeled as evil.
No one told you to help with educating them.

I just said it was a shame they didn't actually appreciate the sport itself.

By them I meant by the people I personally observed.

I don't want anything from them. I said it was a shame.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'm not so sure that Yuna fans who are also figure skating fans shouldn't be policing and trying to educate ignorant Yuna fans. Quite the opposite actually, I think that they should.
Because Yuna should have smart fans, not ignorant bullies. She's earned that imho.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think there are some misunderstanding between lyndichee and skaterr here. I believe both Lyndichee and skaterr are Yuna true fans.
As for Yuna fans as a group, based on my experience, mostly international Yuna fans (and nearly 100% of them are FS fans) are a group of people with admirable knowledge/artistic sense/intelligence.
Yuna fans in Korea I dont know.
But there are scenarios that Non-fans pretending to be Yuna fans and trolling around to cause trouble.
Some of those people are even organized or professional PR people from other side.
But Yuna fans like I said generally a very smart group of people, those tricks really cannot fool anyone.

EDIT: I also hope that every Yuna fans when they defend Yuna can use rational approach and based on FS knowledge. but it certainly hard to realize. hopefully Yuna fan's (including non FS fans, only Yuna fans) quality continue to improve and learn more and more about FS, since it is a amazing sport and Yuna's sport.

I just realized that I used FG to refer figure skating in my posts, the acronym should be FS, FG i mean figure... FG means figure skating.

Last edited:

skaterr

On the Ice
^^ @psusanne
You said you are a true Yuna fan. Why don't you start first? You can be the first person who police ignorant fans in social media. ;)

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
^^ @psusanne
You said you are a true Yuna fan. Why don't you start first? You can be the first person who police ignorant fans in social media. ;)

Skaterr, and what do you suggest how she should do it? Call people who compliment on yuna haters? Picking out sentences out of context to attack posters? Not answering to their explaination when they try to clarify what they say, but deliberatly picking out one sentence, that you twist into an attack against them? Trying to pick a fight with almost every poster on the yuna fan thread?

Because that's exactly what you've been doing for a few months. And congratulations, you've achieved, that true yuna fans, like myself lost joy in this thread and visit it less often.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
^^ @psusanne
When I get the chance to do it I always try to do it, but I'm hardly the first or the most persistent person to do it.
And I failed miserably a couple of times, but I won't stop trying. :)

begin

Medalist
The Yuna Fan Fest should be welcoming to all fans :noshake:

Let's all try to be a little nicer here folks. I, for one, would like to maintain a thread conducive to civil and respectful discussion. If anyone is attacking other fans personally then maybe the mods should step in?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Late to the show here but I didn't have any time to sit down and watch the interview with David Wilson until now, really fantastic interview, I love how candid and passionate he is when he speaks. Can't say I see everything the way he does when it comes to Yuna and Asian skaters but I really value his insight and his honesty. I loved how he highlighted Yuna's musicality, she was always at one with the music, even her spins matched the music. Him talking about all her past programs, Roxanne and then Die Fledermaus and then Danse Macabre, wow what a throwback. Time to go rewatch them all.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yuna fans(I assuming it is Yuna's Korean fans) donated 5000000 korean dollar to UNICEF, which really speak volumes in terms of what kinda fans Yuna has.:luv17:
EDIT: in terms of who is who's fans, as long as people stay in a board long enough and follows different topics and discussion (not only this thread), they will have an impression who is supporting whom.
skaterr may have difficulty understanding the subtlety of English, may also has difficulty express her/his passion properly (like she/he mentioned many times). which may seems offensive or felt offensive. But based on skaterr's posts, she/he is a passionate Yuna fan, because her/his posts mostly are very protective of Yuna.
Not so much of some other IDs which seems frequent this thread quite a lot recently.
I will just leave it like that, this is a public forum, everyone is welcome to visit this thread, not only Yuna fans. but please do notice that this is a fan thread. A thread to celebrate Yuna.

EDIT: for example, I am not Asada's fan nor Sot's fan, so I nearly never visit their fan thread, the couple of time I visited, only to leave some nice complimentary posts regarding certain nice skating outings.

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Late to the show here but I didn't have any time to sit down and watch the interview with David Wilson until now, really fantastic interview, I love how candid and passionate he is when he speaks. Can't say I see everything the way he does when it comes to Yuna and Asian skaters but I really value his insight and his honesty. I loved how he highlighted Yuna's musicality, she was always at one with the music, even her spins matched the music. Him talking about all her past programs, Roxanne and then Die Fledermaus and then Danse Macabre, wow what a throwback. Time to go rewatch them all.

I truly think Yuna and David Wilson weren't just a skater and a choreographer. I think they literally produced art. They were artists who were exceptional at working together, and David Wilson was spectacular and highlighting Yuna's inner musicality, just as she was spectacular in expressing it.