Page 22 of 212 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Just curious, are there other examples of a figure skating coach taking on another country's skaters? Obviously we have plenty of people going to other countries to get coaching, but I wonder if there's any examples of a "foreign" coach building up a program of another country?
    Well, Kwak will only be the 2nd Korean he is coaching, and he is currently coaching 2 Americans (Rippon and Gao) as well. I don't know if he has a lot of other students considering the level of his current students are pretty high and go to a lot of competitions. Chances are between Yuna, Min-Jung, Christina, and Adam at least two will have one of the same GP events next year, which would make it easier on him. Did Orser say he plans to coach more Korean skaters?

But as for an example, I know Michael Huth coaches Tomas Verner and used to coach Carolina Kostner even though he is based in Germany. I want to say Michal Brezina spends some time at his rink in Obersdorf too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
    One more thing on the Korean/Japanese forms of addressing people: the Korean equivalent of the Japanese honorific "-san" is "-ssi." People in professional relationships as opposed to personal ones would use this. The difference in feeling between "Yu-Na-ssi..." and "Yu-Na-yah..." is quite significant, like the difference between "Excuse me, Ms. Yu-Na" and "Hey, Yu-Na, wazzup?"
    Yup, Yuna-ya has a rude connotation. I wouldn't address someone this way for fear they might take offense unless I was extremely familiar with the person like if we're very good friends or family members. Yuna-sshi is much more polite, and is common if you're addressing someone you don't know very well and want to respectful like Ms.- in English or -san in Japanese.
    Last edited by Figure88; 03-19-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoko View Post
    http://www.sportsseoul.com/news2/spo...094813737.html

Brian Orser will be the main coach of Kwak Min-jung after the worlds.
    She will go back to Korea to take mid-term after worlds in march and come back to Toronto to train with team-yuna.
    I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but hope this is true.
    I don't think this is 100% reliable. It doesn't have a direct quote from Orser. It has a quote from Kwak's mom who says in Korean the "Eh-jeong " is that Orser will coach Kwan full time after the Worlds. "Eh-jeong" means, an "expection" or a "the plan", not quite 100% certain. This sounds promising but on you tube there is a video of interview with Orser, at the airport when he returned from a short visit to Korea following the Olympics. In it, he goes at lengths to say it has not been decided that he would coach Kwak. Only that he would work with her until the Worlds. There is a possibility that the mom is pushing the possibilities or her desire to have Kwak following in Yuna's footsteps. She talks about everything else Kwak is doing with Yuna (including going to karaoke etc.).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    I don't think this is 100% reliable. It doesn't have a direct quote from Orser. It has a quote from Kwak's mom who says in Korean the "Eh-jeong " is that Orser will coach Kwan full time after the Worlds. "Eh-jeong" means, an "expection" or a "the plan", not quite 100% certain. This sounds promising but on you tube there is a video of interview with Orser, at the airport when he returned from a short visit to Korea following the Olympics. In it, he goes at lengths to say it has not been decided that he would coach Kwak. Only that he would work with her until the Worlds. There is a possibility that the mom is pushing the possibilities or her desire to have Kwak following in Yuna's footsteps. She talks about everything else Kwak is doing with Yuna (including going to karaoke etc.).
    Do you have that video link? I heard he was interested in coaching more skaters from Korea in general, not just specifically Kwak though at the present she would be the most logical Korean skater for him to coach. Kwak doesn't have a coach right now does she?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Do you have that video link? I heard he was interested in coaching more skaters from Korea in general, not just specifically Kwak though at the present she would be the most logical Korean skater for him to coach. Kwak doesn't have a coach right now does she?
    Here is the link to the you tube video. It's in Korean , except when Brian is talking about Yuna at first and then about Kwak later. When Brian says "she is a special talent" right after the clip from Kwak, he is talking about Kwak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO7poJvMN54

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Here is the link to the you tube video. It's in Korean , except when Brian is talking about Yuna at first and then about Kwak later. When Brian says "she is a special talent" right after the clip from Kwak, he is talking about Kwak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO7poJvMN54
    Thanks for the clip. Sounds like he was going to see how training before Worlds went before he made a decision on whether he would be her coach or not, so based on the news I've been hearing, I think that the training probably went well and just recently he agreed to being her coach? Not quite sure but if he thinks she is talented like he said she was I don't know why he wouldn't want to coach her, unless he just has too many students. We'll probably here more news after Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Thanks for the clip. Sounds like he was going to see how training before Worlds went before he made a decision on whether he would be her coach or not, so based on the news I've been hearing, I think that the training probably went well and just recently he agreed to being her coach? Not quite sure but if he thinks she is talented like he said she was I don't know why he wouldn't want to coach her, unless he just has too many students. We'll probably here more news after Worlds.
    I agree with you. They are testing it out. And we will know for sure when it's officially announced. It's probably likely that Orser will coach Kwak. Just that the Korean newspaper didn't have any quote from Orser, just her mom.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoko View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xcr8zLSmlM

Extract from documentary- I guess Kwak's coach was trying to get her say something about the practice that day

Coach: min-jung, any word for today's practice? (word for today's determination, rather- but sounds odd when translated literally)
    Kwak: what?
    Coach: don't come close! your face will look huge.
    Kwak: (laughs)
    Coach: come on! About how well you skated today. I hope you'll be able to show everything.
    Kwak: today? (thinks) ... as well as Yu-na unni (laughs)
    Coach: (laughs) You wish! Go and do the three jumps (may be she meant triple?)

How do you beat that cuteness!
    I think she should be given a gold medal for the cutest reaction at K&C zone at the olympics-
    I watched a documentary of Kwak and she had pictures of Yu-na all over the room.
    I bet Yu-na would be the greatest inspiration to Kwak as they train together under Orser.
    Thanks for posting that. Kwak is so cute! I think it's funny that she's going to train with Brian. Surely he's not the only coach out there for Korean skaters, although he's probably the most popular one, hehe. I bet she just wants to follow in Yuna's footsteps. I find the way she idolizes Yuna to be adorable.

To be somewhat OT - re: the whole issue of "oppa/unni/hyung/noona", I'm Korean and my family was pretty old-school and hardcore about respecting one's elders, so growing up I actually was not allowed to call my brother by his name. I had to call him "Oppa" instead. If I used his first name, I was reprimanded for being disrespectful. Not a lot of Korean families are that extreme nowadays, though. The other Koreans I know - I live in America - all call their older siblings by their first names. It's funny, because my parents stressed so much how rude it was to use my brother's first name, to the point where it became ingrained in my psyche and now I honestly have trouble saying his name out loud - or even typing it, as you'll notice I have carefully avoided writing his name out here. It just feels too taboo for me at this point. Thanks, Mom and Dad! LOL.

Custom Title
    I didn't know my question would spur such a lengthy discussion on the Korean language. My Korean teacher would be so proud! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
    One more thing on the Korean/Japanese forms of addressing people: the Korean equivalent of the Japanese honorific "-san" is "-ssi." People in professional relationships as opposed to personal ones would use this. The difference in feeling between "Yu-Na-ssi..." and "Yu-Na-yah..." is quite significant, like the difference between "Excuse me, Ms. Yu-Na" and "Hey, Yu-Na, wazzup?"
    Great explanation!

This is even further OT, but I think it's so cool (?) that younger people can address middle aged or older people as mother or father even if they aren't related and are complete strangers. For example, I'm told when you go to a restaurant and if the person who gets your order is a middle aged, old woman, you call her 'eomeoni' for mother or if she's really old, you call her 'halmeoni' for grandmother. Again, even if that person is a total stranger, it still gives them some kind of title. Or if you ever help a really old man cross the street, you call him 'harabeoji' for grandfather even if it's the first time you've ever seen him. I find that aspect of Korean language/culture really cool? Respectful? I don't know what the right word in English is. But I can easily sum it up in Korean: Shingihada! (BTW, for the Korean speakers here, did I use that word right? I hope I did!)

Aunt Joyce embedded this video. Turns out it's a really cool Discovery Channel documentary about Yu-na Kim and her impact on Korean society. Lots of cool archival footage plus some neat interviews from her mom!

http://vimeo.com/10290040

Quote Originally Posted by shallwedansu View Post
    This is even further OT, but I think it's so cool (?) that younger people can address middle aged or older people as mother or father even if they aren't related and are complete strangers. For example, I'm told when you go to a restaurant and if the person who gets your order is a middle aged, old woman, you call her 'eomeoni' for mother or if she's really old, you call her 'halmeoni' for grandmother. Again, even if that person is a total stranger, it still gives them some kind of title. Or if you ever help a really old man cross the street, you call him 'harabeoji' for grandfather even if it's the first time you've ever seen him. I find that aspect of Korean language/culture really cool? Respectful? I don't know what the right word in English is. But I can easily sum it up in Korean: Shingihada! (BTW, for the Korean speakers here, did I use that word right? I hope I did!)
    Oh. I didn't know young people these days call old waitresses "Mother". I usually call them either "Unni" if they're a lil older than me or "a-joom-ma" for Auntie or "older woman". (FYI -- I've been living overseas for decades so my Korean may be out of date.)

I call people who aren't my mom Mother only when I'm addressing my friends' mothers. (and Father for my friends' fathers)

But I call really old people "grandma" and "grandpa" when I'm in Korea. :-)

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by alfoalfo View Post
    im at school right now so i cant but i will asap

in the mean time, my friend just sent me this pic of Yuna, Mao and other skaters during a gala practice session.
    im not 100% sure which competition it was, but it looks like 2007 Worlds. pls correct me if im wrong

http://yfrog.com/7fs2007fsduringgalaj
    Quote Originally Posted by alfoalfo View Post
    yeah you're right! it was at the 2008 GP finals in Korea

Yuna was imitating Mao's shoulder wiggling which she did in her Czardas FS here-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5G3Ns2i86U @ ~1:50
    What a cute photo.

I came across this youtube clip today where Takahashi, Asada, and Oda seem to be imitating Kim's shooting pose at the end of her SP.
    It's only 11 seconds and the quality is not so good, but they look very cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFNg-...layer_embedded

Sorry it's a little OT since it's not exactly Yuna news, but thought it might be interesting to people who read the posts I've quoted.
    Looks like it was part of a TV program.. does anyone know where I can watch the full clip, or what they are saying in the video?

Custom Title
    As for Yuna's mindset after olys and before the Worlds, Orser explains.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...67236911_x.htm

(This is not only about Yuna but also about some other skaters.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    As for Yuna's mindset after olys and before the Worlds, Orser explains.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...67236911_x.htm

(This is not only about Yuna but also about some other skaters.)
    Orser is indeed a perfect coach for Yu-NA!

Custom Title
    Just as an update, I heard that it is confirmed that Orser will coach Kwak after Worlds. There's an article in Korean about it and she told the reporters in the airport that she will live and train in Toronto after worlds.

Page 22 of 212 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 122 ... LastLast