Yuna Kim | Page 222 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

skaterr

On the Ice
Why does thread keep turning into a conspiracy theory hub? :palmf:

Everyone needs to consider what is factual and what is speculation. Blog posts and daum cafes are not good sources of information to take as facts. I know Yuna faced a lot of obstacles in her career, even from her own federation. I also know that a lot of her "fans" saw a lot of "bad guys" and obstacles that just didn't exist. I, for one, would really appreciate it if this thread could stay on celebrating the skater rather than perpetuating rumors and hate. We don't need to make Yuna a victim to admire her.

Edit: Also--I really don't want to involve myself in this conversation but there was never any sabotage by Japanese skaters. Everyone shares the ice during warm-ups. Skaters often get in the way of one another and most of them are taught to focus and not to yield to other skaters. If someone could find the video where Yuna "complained" about sabotage they would find she did no such thing. They (SBS?) spliced a part of her interview with footage from the warm-up to make their story. It was absurd.
Oh dcinside. I need to stay away for my health. I used to love seeing the sport blossom in Korea, and there are some really wonderful fans! But it's just not worth going through the mountain of stupid to find :disapp:

Begin again … Hi there
Dcinside hahaha
Do you even know kpop or kculture??
Mecca of Fandom is Dcinside. Every kpop stars or sports or even stock holders have their site in dcinside. I understand you don’t know Korean. What do you know about dc?
Daum is second most popular Portal in korea. Do you expect an article from Korean media? That’s not possible. Korean reporters have no idea. Her fans know better than them for sure.

Here is a video how she was disturbed by other skaters.
It’s quite popular. I’m a little bit surprised you didn’t know about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMDPzAuWs6Y

skaterr

On the Ice
This. I cringe so hard when I see all these Korean sites and cafes with hateful/accusatory remarks and conspiracy theories, as you mentioned(looking at you, dc gallery). Unbiased, knowledgeable Korean fs blogs are so rare. I wish I didn't understand Korean sometimes :hopelessness:

Do you know? The sites or cafes you mentioned take the lead in donating to Unicef along with Yuna. Yuna also gladly participated in donation. Do you know? The sites or cafes you mentioned was the people who support her most? Their words is a little rough especially in DC. But their heart is true. They are true Yuna fans.

begin

Medalist
Begin again … Hi there
Dcinside hahaha
Do you even know kpop or kculture??
Mecca of Fandom is Dcinside. Every kpop stars or sports or even stock holders have their site in dcinside. I understand you don’t know Korean. What do you know about dc?

Your understanding is incorrect. I'm American by birth but that doesn't mean I don't have Korean ties. I never properly learned Korean but I know enough of the language and culture to pick up some of what goes on.

Daum is second most popular Portal in korea. Do you expect an article from Korean media? That’s not possible. Korean reporters have no idea. Her fans know better than them for sure.

I know dc is the biggest site for fandoms (and that daum is second only to naver). That's how I ended up there in the first place. Being big doesn't mean that it's reliable or unbiased. Fans are more involved than media reporters but how does that prove they know best? Reporting hinges on objectivity and facts. Clearly fans can't be objective.

I do know about that, and it goes on my long list of embarrassing stuff I've had to witness as a Yuna fan. There's nothing there that's a smoking gun. Those 'disturbances' happen all the time in skating and some of her fans would know that if they weren't so bent on creating problems where none exist.

TL;DR: Netizens don't know what is true, they know what is popular. Sometimes the popular opinion is true but more often than not, it isn't. There is a process to finding the truth, and a blog with gifs and screencaptures is not it. If finding the truth was so easy, we wouldn't need graduate school to be journalists.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
Do you know? The sites or cafes you mentioned take the lead in donating to Unicef along with Yuna. Yuna also gladly participated in donation. Do you know? The sites or cafes you mentioned was the people who support her most? Their words is a little rough especially in DC. But their heart is true. They are true Yuna fans.

skaterr, we don't think those people are evil. We do think they are ignorant and misguided.

skaterr

On the Ice
I don’t see why I can’t post this fan blog in this fan thread. We can say whatever we want to say. I don’t understand why you are so eager to protect others in here. Begin it’s YUNA FAN thread. Everyone does not like happy fun stuffs in here. Yuna fans have rights to know what Korean fans think about the situations. There are some foreigners who are eager to know the dark side or difficulties Yuna have been through. You seem very uncomfortable when some stuffs comes out. Why is that?

Reporters are not that objective in here Korea. Every country is not like that in USA. The freedom of expression is not that universal in all countries.. Fans with expertise can write better than reporters sometimes.

Begin YUNA Herself TOLD She had been suffered from those disturbances. If you are a true yuna fan, you should respect her opinion. SHE TOLD IT TO PEOPLE. Why you try to deny this? I don’t understand. YOU seems to stand in quite opposite position as a fan.

They are not ignorant or misguided. Their words are just tough. It’s not their fault. The characteristics of DC just happen to be that way. There are some orders in its way.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
I don’t see why I can’t post this fan blog in this fan thread. We can say whatever we want to say. I don’t understand why you are so eager to protect others in here. Begin it’s YUNA FAN thread. Everyone does not like happy fun stuffs in here. Yuna fans have rights to know what Korean fans think about the situations. There are some foreigners who are eager to know the dark side or difficulties Yuna have been through. You seem very uncomfortable when some stuffs comes out. Why is that?

Reporters are not that objective in here Korea. Every country is not like that in USA. The freedom of expression is not that universal in all countries.. Fans with expertise can write better than reporters sometimes.

Begin YUNA Herself TOLD She had been suffered from those disturbances. If you are a true yuna fan, you should respect her opinion. SHE TOLD IT TO PEOPLE. Why you try to deny this? I don’t understand. YOU seems to stand in quite opposite position as a fan.

They are not ignorant or misguided. Their words are just tough. It’s not their fault. The characteristics of DC just happen to be that way. There are some orders in its way.

I don't believe it ever was her opinion, as I explained that in my last comment. You may prove me wrong there.

I'm not uncomfortable with 'dark side or difficulties' when they're a reality. I'm uncomfortable with people spreading baseless rumors that may mislead other fans into being angry at all the wrong things. I've been a Yuna fan for a long time. I was a fan through the craziness that started in 2008 to Vancouver. I was a fan when the people started using her for their own nationalistic agenda. If you want to know why I'm so against these conspiracy theories, it's because I've seen what they do.

Anything good that Yuna did is overshadowed by hotheaded keyboard warriors spreading false information and attacking others. Their incomplete understanding of skating and close minded-ness is what makes them ignorant. Their behavior as fans trying to support Yuna in such an aggressive and vitriolic way is what makes them misguided. Her character, her story, her performances, her skating--these are the things people should remember about her. Instead, skating is left with the hateful and ridiculous comments of her fans all over the internet.

skaterr, we many never agree on this and I may never be able to communicate my point to you. But hopefully you'll stay open to different discussions in different skating communities, and maybe one day see I'm trying to say.

skaterr

On the Ice
If someone could find the video where Yuna "complained" about sabotage they would find she did no such thing. They (SBS?) spliced a part of her interview with footage from the warm-up to make their story. It was absurd.
I know dc is the biggest site for fandoms (and that daum is second only to naver). That's how I ended up there in the first place. Being big doesn't mean that it's reliable or unbiased. Fans are more involved than media reporters but how does that prove they know best? Reporting hinges on objectivity and facts. Clearly fans can't be objective.
TL;DR: Netizens don't know what is true, they know what is popular. Sometimes the popular opinion is true but more often than not, it isn't. There is a process to finding the truth, and a blog with gifs and screencaptures is not it. If finding the truth was so easy, we wouldn't need graduate school to be journalists.

I just found something strange though… You say you value journalism but Your words seem quite different. You sounds you do not respect SBS. SBS has an exclusive contract with IOC among other broadcasting system. YOU don’t believe both Korean bloggers and broadcasting company. You believe what you want to believe after all. There no differences between us then.

DO not insult her Korean fans as keyboard warriors or something in here. The people who stand by her were always her fans not KSU, ISU, IOC or other organizations. You need to respect her fans in Yuna fan thread. Where you can see Yuna videos or photos or her infos from? I always post her photos or videos from DC fans. You don’t seem to appreciate it all. Why are you visiting in here then? DO you want to see happy stories here? Where is it from?? I think We are all the same after all.

begin

Medalist
I just found something strange though… You say you value journalism but Your words seem quite different. You sounds you do not respect SBS. SBS has an exclusive contract with IOC among other broadcasting system. YOU don’t believe both Korean bloggers and broadcasting company. You believe what you want to believe after all. There no differences between us then.

DO not insult her Korean fans as keyboard warriors or something in here. The people who stand by her were always her fans not KSU, ISU, IOC or other organizations. You need to respect her fans in Yuna fan thread. Where you can see Yuna videos or photos or her infos from? I always post her photos or videos from DC fans. You don’t seem to appreciate it all. Why are you visiting in here then? DO you want to see happy stories here? Where is it from?? I think We are all the same after all.

I said I believe in the journalistic process is important to investigating facts, and that netizens generally don't follow those ethics and standards. That doesn't mean I value all media corporations and trust every story the put out. SBS in Korea or CNN here in America...they all have agendas and bottom-lines. I can assure you it's not only Korea that has a media problem.

There seems to be a language barrier issue, as you're ignoring the details of what I'm saying. Criticizing behavior doesn't mean I criticize the entire person. I don't doubt Yuna fans' dedication to her. It's just that sometimes, that dedication makes some of them do bad things.

I'm sorry to always be jumping out at you but I really do come here for Yuna updates. What you and other fans share is appreciated, and I don't mean to make you feel insulted. As said in my first comment, it's not about wanting to see happy or unhappy stories. It's about being careful of what you represent as fact or speculation.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Those warm-ups make me cringe all the time. Of course Yuna was disturbed by that!
But that does not mean that any of the other skaters did it on purpose. And that's how I understood her comments back then - she was disturbed, but she didn't blame anyone. Let's face it - no skater would risk a crash only to disturb another skater. I don't go skating a lot, but I go skiing and snowboarding regularly. There's a lot of room compared to an ice rink. And even there I have to call a hault before it's too late a couple of times are year, when it's too busy and some people don't care as much about safety as I do. But I can see why people who don't know those kind of situations might think that something bad or some plot was happening.
That's why I can understand that it was a good story for the Korean media. But we shouldn't fight over this now. It happened years ago and I never heard of another "situation" like that again, or am I wrong?

skaterr

On the Ice
Yuna said she was disturbed at warm up. It’s an absolute truth. Some foreign fans say it’s not her opinion. I don’t believe them. They don’t speak Korean. How they can be so sure about this issue. I heard she was saying she was disturbed by some skaters clearly. I heard what I heard. I can’t say it was not true.

begin

Medalist
Sorry for dredging this up again but I found the clips I watched back then: http://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1000560833

They didn't show the interviewer asking the question. At the time, her comment felt vague and out of context (because they spliced her interview 3 times). What I understand her saying is:
"'Is it really necessary to to do that' is what I thought,-"
"Because I didn't want to push(?) it-"
"I found a way to deal with it."

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Whatever Yuna experienced in the past, both good and bad, is what made her the strong woman that she is today.
"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."

***ok now I want to draw Yuna as Mulan, my favorite Disney Princess/character haha

skaterr

On the Ice
Sorry for dredging this up again but I found the clips I watched back then: http://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1000560833

They didn't show the interviewer asking the question. At the time, her comment felt vague and out of context (because they spliced her interview 3 times). What I understand her saying is:
"'Is it really necessary to to do that' is what I thought,-"
"Because I didn't want to push(?) it-"
"I found a way to deal with it."

http://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1000560015&plink=SEARCH&cooper=SBSNEWSSEARCH

This clip is more proper I guess
I found new interview from Orser in this clip
Orser complained a Japanese skater wandered around Yuna’s Jump course.

Yuna said” It was so harsh especially in 4cc. Is it necessary to do that this far? I don’t want to be pushed around by that. If I lose in those trivial things, It would have a effect on my game. I’m finding a way to deal with it.”

begin

Medalist
New Jestina CF teaser w/ Park Bogum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wPrvTLE08
Yuna's acting debut? :love:

http://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1000560015&plink=SEARCH&cooper=SBSNEWSSEARCH

This clip is more proper I guess
I found new interview from Orser in this clip
Orser complained a Japanese skater wandered around Yuna’s Jump course.

Yuna said” It was so harsh especially in 4cc. Is it necessary to do that this far? I don’t want to be pushed around by that. If I lose in those trivial things, It would have a effect on my game. I’m finding a way to deal with it.”

It's still very vague and, they cut around her interview in this one too. I don't know what she (or Orser? I don't see his interview) was feeling at the time but it's still a bit much to say she was complaining about sabotage. At most, I think she was talking about her struggle to get enough room on the ice because the other skaters were being particularly relentless.

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Whatever Yuna experienced in the past, both good and bad, is what made her the strong woman that she is today.
"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."

***ok now I want to draw Yuna as Mulan, my favorite Disney Princess/character haha

That's essentially what Yuna is to Korea though. She's just as singlehandedly badass. :D

cooper

Medalist
geezz. people should move on already especially what happened in the past. heck even what happened in sochi!

call me shallow all you want..i'm looking forward what yuna's participation in the opening ceremony in pyeonchang though and the rest i don't care. :noshake: