Yuna Kim | Page 225 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

begin

Medalist
Ironically at Worlds TAT said the korean federation is moving their skaters to Russia working with russian coaches and choreographer, but i don't know who she was referring:

I know Rebeka Kim and Kiril Minov are training in Moscow.

Aren't they both Russian born? BESP mentioned that at one point.

I haven't heard about anyone else training in Russia but a lot younger skaters go abroad for the facilities. Yuna herself went to St. Petersberg(?) at one point just for some ice time.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Aren't they both Russian born? BESP mentioned that at one point.

I haven't heard about anyone else training in Russia but a lot younger skaters go abroad for the facilities. Yuna herself went to St. Petersberg(?) at one point just for some ice time.

Rebeka Kim was born in Lithuania and moved to Russia when she was 12 years old.

Did Yuna really go to St. Petersburg? I never heard of that before!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
300 th page! Congrats and thanks to everyone who is sharing their thoughts, videos, info :thank:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Yuna's outfits are so pretty. Her taste in costumes and casual clothing is just on point. What can't this woman do? :)

Agreed. Her taste is very good and her style on the ice is possibly my favourite ever (Kiira Korpi's is second).

As I have just rewatched her El Tange de Roxanne SP from Worlds 07, I realized I have never thought of what is my least favourite costume of her: it is possibly her Roxanne costume she wore at Worlds, because the three colours, black, red and purple are a bit too much and the tailoring seems to be a bit odd. I prefer the dress she wore at Skate Canada, which was classier and more elegant looking and also highlighted Yuna's perfect lines.

The other costume which is not really my taste is her Miss Saigon dress she wore in the GP series in 2007. The bright pink colour doesn't look bad from distance but if you look closer it is not very detailed.

Anyway, not being too negative, because she is perfect in any dress/costume anyway :luv17:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Agreed. Her taste is very good and her style on the ice is possibly my favourite ever (Kiira Korpi's is second).

As I have just rewatched her El Tange de Roxanne SP from Worlds 07, I realized I have never thought of what is my least favourite costume of her: it is possibly her Roxanne costume she wore at Worlds, because the three colours, black, red and purple are a bit too much and the tailoring seems to be a bit odd. I prefer the dress she wore at Skate Canada, which was classier and more elegant looking and also highlighted Yuna's perfect lines.

The other costume which is not really my taste is her Miss Saigon dress she wore in the GP series in 2007. The bright pink colour doesn't look bad from distance but if you look closer it is not very detailed.

Anyway, not being too negative, because she is perfect in any dress/costume anyway :luv17:

My theory is that they didn't have a lot of money then to support grand costumes and expensive designer. But I really really like her costume in Lark. Her costumes starting from Danse Macabre are super lovely and so on point. My personal favorites are Danse for SP and Gershwin for LP.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I liked her Roxanne dress! Sure, it's not something I would wear to like, a party, whereas her Send in the Clowns, Gershwin, Arirang, Giselle dresses I would totally wear, but I think it was perfect for the music and her age. Plus I think she looked super gorgeous in the bold makeup they put on her. I guess I can't really separate her performance (one of my favorites) from her dress because it's all so "Yuna" that makes it perfect :laugh:

narcissa

Record Breaker
when she went through some difficulties, she just said casually she didn't like to do that. She had to practice under poor conditions in korea, so she always had to face some injuries. She really liked to skate though. It is not a big deal at all. I don't know why we are even discussing in here.

Sorry I totally didn't mean to put down Yuna as a skater by asking...I was just reading old archived threads about Sochi and in her interview (here's the thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...m-s-Own-Words-quot-My-Life-and-My-Future-quot) where she says she "hated" skating for a while but maybe it's just a mistranslation? It breaks my heart that skating has brought her so much pain but it doesn't lessen any of the things she has done for this sport to me...in fact, it makes it even more amazing because she is so selfless and wonderful. She sure has done a lot for this sport. I hope whatever she's doing now makes her very happy!

skaterr

On the Ice
Sorry I totally didn't mean to put down Yuna as a skater by asking...I was just reading old archived threads about Sochi and in her interview (here's the thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...m-s-Own-Words-quot-My-Life-and-My-Future-quot) where she says she "hated" skating for a while but maybe it's just a mistranslation? It breaks my heart that skating has brought her so much pain but it doesn't lessen any of the things she has done for this sport to me...in fact, it makes it even more amazing because she is so selfless and wonderful. She sure has done a lot for this sport. I hope whatever she's doing now makes her very happy!

I totally understand what you mean. I think I was a little rude to you. I'm sorry. By the way, I don't believe english translation without korean source.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
My theory is that they didn't have a lot of money then to support grand costumes and expensive designer. But I really really like her costume in Lark. Her costumes starting from Danse Macabre are super lovely and so on point. My personal favorites are Danse for SP and Gershwin for LP.

Yes, I am sure Yuna and her team didn't have the money to pay for the more expensive, designer costumes in the first two senior seasons.

I also love her Lark dress, beautiful colour and tailoring, and I especially love the back stripes on it.
Danse Macabre and Gershwin are so great choices :agree: For me, 1. Bond 2. Danse Macabre 3. SITC 4. Kiss of the Vampire are my three SP favourites, and 1. Gershwin, 2. Homage to Korea 3. Scheherazade and 4. Adios Nonino are the LP favourites. :)

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Speaking of Danse Macabre, I realized Yuna also set a new WR at 2009 Worlds with 76.++ pts for her short program and back then, 70 pts was a big deal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9QGNvrViEE&nohtml5=False

It was a very big deal. At 2009 Worlds she set the world record of the short program for the 3rd time in her career. The first time she made it it was Worlds 2007, where she got 71.95. That was an incredible score back then. I guess it was the first time when Brian Orser sat with her in the k&c and as a new coach he didn't really know what was the world record score then, so Yuna was very surprised and happy when she saw her score while Brian smiled a little but he didn't even realized what was going on :biggrin:

The second time was 4CC 2009, where Yuna got 72.24, then only 1,5 months after she set another world record at the World Championships, 76.12. That score was monstrous, not only her skating but also the scoring itself set ladies's figure skating to a completely new level. :bow: I think I have never seen Yuna happier and more carefree in the k&c than she was after SP at World 2009. :)

Between Vancouver and Sochi, no one could even come close to Yuna's world record she set in Vancouver. The only one who could go the nearest was Mao at the 2013 4CC (74.49), but it still wasn't anything near to the WR.
Since Sochi, everything changed about the scoring, it is now way easier to get higher scores than it was before.

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
It was a very big deal. At 2009 Worlds she set the world record of the short program for the 3rd time in her career. The first time she made it it was Worlds 2007, where she got 71.95. That was an incredible score back then. I guess it was the first time when Brian Orser sat with her in the k&c and as a new coach he didn't really know what was the world record score then, so Yuna was very surprised and happy when she saw her score while Brian smiled a little but he didn't even realized what was going on :biggrin:

The second time was 4CC 2009, where Yuna got 72.24, then only 1,5 months after she set another world record at the World Championships, 76.12. That score was monstrous, not only her skating but also the scoring itself set ladies's figure skating to a completely new level. :bow: I think I have never seen Yuna happier and more carefree in the k&c than she was after SP at World 2009. :)

Between Vancouver and Sochi, no one could even come close to Yuna's world record she set in Vancouver. The only one who could go the nearest was Mao at the 2013 4CC (74.49), but it still wasn't anything near to the WR.
Since Sochi, everything changed about the scoring, it is now way easier to get higher scores than it was before.

I think it is score inflation as well as the fact that people are just getting better at knowing how to maximize their points. Now girls are putting in so many transitions for the sake of transitions and difficult entries/exits/air positions to maximize GOEs. That's what CoP asked for so that's what they get. At some point the scoring system will have to be rewritten because everyone will be getting +3s for all of their tanos, steps into and steps out of jumps, weird contorted 'unique' spin positions, etc. and there will be no room to distinguish between skaters. It also makes for much uglier programs, too, IMO. But yeah, these young girls have been training since they were babies to maximize scores under CoP so I'm not surprised at the scores we're seeing.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
lots of 2016 worlds lady's fancams have been uploaded on Youtube and elsewhere.
this youtube account recorded all the lady's long from last group from balcony. Check them out, it feels like you were there.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoVzpQZin7kpYUGOOWYmI2A
Watching these videos, I really really miss Yuna.
these are Yuna's live performance fancams.
SITC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl4_W5Sv_xE
Adios
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91tUEvglpA
Les Mis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDBqnmG-6Aw
Homage to Korea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psxOL_a-9cU
and her gershwin (the farthest eagle eye angle I could find on Youtube, bad quality though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idplyzPiCHs&index=6&list=PLABEC2281CD1566EF

THE most impressive lady skater to watch live in my naked eyes!!:eek::