Yuna Kim | Page 248 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

mrfarmer

Rinkside
I might be one of the few people who liked Kiss of the Vampire. Even though it was nowhere near Danse, Tango, or James Bond, I thought it was mysterious. Like Caro's comeback SP this season. They are different from their usual routines.

Tango de Roxanne was better than Adios Nonino in terms of interpreting the highs and lows of the music. It was fiery and just exciting to watch. When I first heard Yuna was doing a tango as her last LP, I was so excited because I thought it was gonna be like Tango de Roxanne. Not that Adios wasn't great but the passion and fire of a tango seemed a little lost in the choreography and music. It was, as you said, a little one-note.

Hi guys, pretty new here. And this thread is... wow, 330 pages... so much Yuna love.

I disagree though that Yuna's Adios was one-note. There was so much nuances in the choreography that I was so hooked, just like Send In The Clowns (the pause she makes 3/4 in the Step Sequence with her hands on the back was just... it was just like taking a deep cleansing breath). Both programs screamed quiet elegance to me, and as much as I liked Danse and Bond (both made me say "yessss!" while I was watching them), what I realized was that those programs made me smile, made me root for her... but Send In The Clowns and Adios and Les Mis touched my heart, so...

ava

On the Ice
Hi guys, pretty new here. And this thread is... wow, 330 pages... so much Yuna love.

I disagree though that Yuna's Adios was one-note. There was so much nuances in the choreography that I was so hooked, just like Send In The Clowns (the pause she makes 3/4 in the Step Sequence with her hands on the back was just... it was just like taking a deep cleansing breath). Both programs screamed quiet elegance to me, and as much as I liked Danse and Bond (both made me say "yessss!" while I was watching them), what I realized was that those programs made me smile, made me root for her... but Send In The Clowns and Adios and Les Mis touched my heart, so...

Send in the Clowns is indeed a masterpiece:thumbsup: ))

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

I like Adios a LOT. But it's because everything Yuna did there was in time with the music, even the crossovers (the 3-turn before the 3F was so soo musical). It's unreal. It is indeed a masterpiece when it comes to nuances and Yuna performing the way she did (tho not her absolute best level IMO, which is amazing because it's already great and it's not even her very best). I always say that Adios is a great example if skaters want to learn about musicality and timing. BUT my opinion is that the arrangement of the music falls short in excitement when compared to the variety in tempo of, say, El Tango de Roxanne. Just my two cents :)

I agree so much with Send in the Clowns and Les Mis. SITC is just absolutely beautiful. Too bad it was under appreciated in Sochi. Should've been a world record.

DCacorn

Spectator
Coca-Cola selected Yuna Kim as the exclusive model to promote Pyeongchang Olympic 2018 official drinking water "(Gangwon) PyeongChang Water"

Official poster: Yuna

Google translation An official of Coca-Cola Co. said, "Kim Yoon-a, symbolizing the spirit of the Winter Olympics, has been selected as the model for six consecutive years because it is the person who best matches the product brand philosophy and image pursued by 'Gangwon Pyeongchang Su'." We are expecting the positive effect of Kim Yu-na and 'Pyeongchang-sugang in Gangwon Province' ahead of the first 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games. "

The new package will be launched in early August 2017

Current available package: (Pink color - Drinking with Yuna) Pyeongchang water

Sources 1, 2

Sam L

Medalist
I like Adios a LOT. But it's because everything Yuna did there was in time with the music, even the crossovers (the 3-turn before the 3F was so soo musical). It's unreal. It is indeed a masterpiece when it comes to nuances and Yuna performing the way she did (tho not her absolute best level IMO, which is amazing because it's already great and it's not even her very best). I always say that Adios is a great example if skaters want to learn about musicality and timing. BUT my opinion is that the arrangement of the music falls short in excitement when compared to the variety in tempo of, say, El Tango de Roxanne. Just my two cents :)

I agree so much with Send in the Clowns and Les Mis. SITC is just absolutely beautiful. Too bad it was under appreciated in Sochi. Should've been a world record.

Adios is one of the greatest programs ever. A must for any student of Figure Skating to watch not just for performance and musicality but because the moves (however basic or advanced) were so precise. It was textbook.

Suze

Rinkside
I tried to watch Yuna's Olympic adios and send in the clowns performances with these comments in mind but i still don't feel the same excitement and rush that I get from El tango or Danse Macabre or even her Olympic 2010 Gershwin LP. There was an energy and raw yearning in her 2010 and prior performances that I can't find in her pieces post Olympic gold.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I tried to watch Yuna's Olympic adios and send in the clowns performances with these comments in mind but i still don't feel the same excitement and rush that I get from El tango or Danse Macabre or even her Olympic 2010 Gershwin LP. There was an energy and raw yearning in her 2010 and prior performances that I can't find in her pieces post Olympic gold.

Consider all the pressures of -

Giving her last and final competitive performance ever
Skating as the defending Olympic champion, all her reputation on the line
At the bloomin' Olympics (!!)
Skating in that arena
That crowd
That judge panel
Those scoring
Skating last
Skating injured
Skating probably the most musically challenging, complex and intricately choreographed program of all time (Musicality demands is unforgiving, steps and jumps must be on and with the notes, must be nuaounced, fast fast, slow with skate, very little giving room, practically no margins for error or for missing a beat)
In a program/performance was practically biographical
Basically her skating career in 4.5 mins
She is there for Korean youngsters
Her goodbye to the figure skating world

Her performance on the day was unbelievable to me
It was as if her mind and heart had some how supernaturally conquered everything.
It was completely courageous, majestic and darn right heroic. A performance for the ages. Best of all time! (at least to me)

Figure skating performances are like live art, it is not just what you do, but how you do it. Each performance is unique and should be observed in the context of who, what, when, why, and how; the circumstance, environment factors, impact and historic value.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
new pictures from J.Estina #1 , #2 , #3, she looks gorgeous as always but #2 is especially gorgeous :love::love::luv17::luv17:

Warwick360

Medalist
Adios is one of the greatest programs ever. A must for any student of Figure Skating to watch not just for performance and musicality but because the moves (however basic or advanced) were so precise. It was textbook.

So underrated. Still find it confounding when people say it was an easier routine, just because there wasn't contortionist moves like some going on. Just the step sequence alone leave me in utter awe.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Skating probably the most musically challenging, complex and intricately choreographed program of all time
Best of all time! (at least to me)
I agree with everything else you said, but this - no. At least you added to the second statement that Yuna's Olympic performance was the best of all time to you personally. Still, I think only people who are ubers of just one skater and don't really know/haven't seen/paid attention to much else can say things like this.

There are skaters whose fan I am, but it does not hinder me from appreciating other skaters and what they do, and even seeing things in which they are at least equal to or even better than my favorite skaters. So it's difficult for me to understand ubers like you. I don't want to offend you, but that's how I feel.

skaterr

On the Ice
It’s so annoying to hear that someone call OS ubers or something. I know I’m not good at English but even I can feel negative meaning of that. Yuna fans have every rights to say whatever they want in Yuna fan thread. I don’t understand why someone has problems with her. OS comments usually got lots of “likes” from Yuna fans. Yuna fans love OS.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I am by no means a Yuna Kim uber but I also consider her Adios Nonino among the best and most memorable Olympic programs (choreography + performance) I have seen. :luv17: Probably in the top 3. I think it's a masterpiece and her skating was incredibly moving.