Yuna Kim | Page 265 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yuna is a complete trailblazer and risk taker. Yuzu and Javier followed her footsteps, Yuzu even stated on public record he wanted what she has and love her style of integrating jumps into everything together in her programs. It is no accident his style has been influenced the way it did, particularly that spread eagle Ina Bauer into a 3a element. In any case, Yuna always goes for maximum TES she can muster within her capabilities with 3 x 3 lutz in her arsenal, whilst trying to manage her chronic injuries where 3loop can inflame. I think the rule changes after Vancouver really targeted her strength, particularly disabled her powerful 2A3T combos with excellent GOEs, plus the depreciation of GOE by 30%. Whereas I don't think ISU changed any rules that disadvantaged Yuzu, in fact, they increased the value for quads which really boosted his scope of scoring against Patrick.

More importantly, I think her humble and modest nature probably help her to go above her potentials and never took things for granted, playing things safe, always moving forward. She paid attention to every aspect of her programs, from music choices, choreography, presentation direction, hair & makeup, costumes, and are so thoughtful in her choices at the right stage in her career, I can't imagine if any programs should be skated in any other order. She seems comfortable absorb everything around her, but develop them into her own style and strength but also have the character to know when not to compromise. I didn't think it was possible to improve on Vancouver performances/programs, but some how she did, every time... surreal.

Weirdly I respect her even more for she never step onto the ice for shows after her 'formal retirement' unless it is for her country at the Olympic opening ceremony infront of a united Korea. It adds so much value to all her previous competition/show performances. She is so principled, never wishy-washy!! Word is good as gold. Not for money or fame. She also does not compromise her arts for points... instead always strives to bring best balance of both in all her programs. It is one of the main things struck the Chinese Skating critic FrenchRabbit in his review for WC Tango De Roxanne, how balanced and well realised that program is, the placement of all elements using all aspects of the rink. It is just a well realised program that set the tone for her particular brand of skating seamlessly combing incredible musicality, performance and tech skills with amazing quality.

I suspect she knows her battles are going to be harder than others, not just against other skaters. The only way the judges are going to let her win is if she convincingly wins over others there leaves no room to overturn. It has become necessary to go above and beyond to convince the judges, otherwise, they simply won't give it to her. Never won by PCS in her entire career says a lot about how judges mark her, despite her so-called 'reputation in the sport. Not having a power federation can handicap the skater's marks as we have seen time and time again. Jun-Hwan, Dabin, Young You, (will need to learn from So Young) will all need to go above and beyond what is necessary to earn their marks...particularly in PCS which has become a necessity to survive in this sport.

The more I have got to know the sport and its judging system, the politics and biases within the management side of things, the more I grew to appreciate and respect what a miracle Yuna Kim is. How she is able to pull herself up through sheer excellence and strong will despite everything. Yuzu's Chopin does remind me of Yuna's Tango De Roxanne at first senior world when she broke the world record coming back from injuries when she had little or no practice. Her final battle at Sochi is simply incredible, for it really exposed the rotten side of the sport in plain sight, also skating injured.

One can even argued, her contribution to the sport including finally getting rid of anonymous judging once and for all to ensure judges can at least be held accountable for their 'federation judgement'.

(Edited to remove quoted post which has been removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I want to share this quote with you fellow Yuna fans. It's beautiful and moving and was used by music critic John Ardoin to describe the most famous opera singer, Maria Callas:

I think the same can be said of Yuna. She seems to be one of the most admirable of people, her character and personality cut from the highest cloth. Nevertheless there is much truth that her instrument is greater than even the woman herself. Her skating spoke to tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions of people. Her greatest performances touched us in ways that not even our friends and loved ones could understand. Simply put, she was the incarnation of artistry and athleticism on ice.

But it's more than that-

Yuna inspired and taught us life lessons about discipline, hard work, respect, competitive toughness, and most of all grace and kindness. Whatever you want do in life, as a skater, as a musician, as a designer or software programmer, as a teacher or anything else, Yuna is the type of role model that makes you want to become a better person. A Korean advertising executive recently said in the newspaper: "Yuna is not just a skating star, but many people compare her to something like a goddess."

That is a very, very heavy burden to bear.

An ordinary person cannot do it, but we need rare people like Yuna Kim in this world. She gives people hope. Through her skating. Through her public appearances. Through her philanthropy. Through anything she sets her mind out to do.

After Pyeongchang 2018, she may decide to pursue "her own wishes and happiness" as that quote about Callas suggests-- she has earned the right to decide for herself. But sometimes the instrument is more important than the person, and I think Yuna will come to accept that responsibility over time. In many ways she already has. There was more than a little symbolism in watching a North Korean and a South Korean jointly carry the Olympic torch side-by-side up an impossibly difficult flight of steps...an arduous journey, before ultimately passing off the flame to Yuna herself.

He is right. Yuna is a goddess to me. Accurate. Hahahaha

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Yuna is a complete trailblazer and risk taker. Yuzu and Javier followed her footsteps, Yuzu even stated on public record he wanted what she has and love her style of integrating jumps into everything together in her programs. It is no accident his style has been influenced the way it did, particularly that spread eagle Ina Bauer into a 3a element. In any case, Yuna always goes for maximum TES she can muster within her capabilities with 3 x 3 lutz in her arsenal, whilst trying to manage her chronic injuries where 3loop can inflame. I think the rule changes after Vancouver really targeted her strength, particularly disabled her powerful 2A3T combos with excellent GOEs, plus the depreciation of GOE by 30%. Whereas I don't think ISU changed any rules that disadvantaged Yuzu, in fact, they increased the value for quads which really boosted his scope of scoring against Patrick.

More importantly, I think her humble and modest nature probably help her to go above her potentials and never took things for granted, playing things safe, always moving forward. She paid attention to every aspect of her programs, from music choices, choreography, presentation direction, hair & makeup, costumes, and are so thoughtful in her choices at the right stage in her career, I can't imagine if any programs should be skated in any other order. She seems comfortable absorb everything around her, but develop them into her own style and strength but also have the character to know when not to compromise. I didn't think it was possible to improve on Vancouver performances/programs, but some how she did, every time... surreal.

Weirdly I respect her even more for she never step onto the ice for shows after her 'formal retirement' unless it is for her country at the Olympic opening ceremony infront of a united Korea. It adds so much value to all her previous competition/show performances. She is so principled, never wishy-washy!! Word is good as gold. Not for money or fame. She also does not compromise her arts for points... instead always strives to bring best balance of both in all her programs. It is one of the main things struck the Chinese Skating critic FrenchRabbit in his review for WC Tango De Roxanne, how balanced and well realised that program is, the placement of all elements using all aspects of the rink. It is just a well realised program that set the tone for her particular brand of skating seamlessly combing incredible musicality, performance and tech skills with amazing quality.

I suspect she knows her battles are going to be harder than others, not just against other skaters. The only way the judges are going to let her win is if she convincingly wins over others there leaves no room to overturn. It has become necessary to go above and beyond to convince the judges, otherwise, they simply won't give it to her. Never won by PCS in her entire career says a lot about how judges mark her, despite her so-called 'reputation in the sport. Not having a power federation can handicap the skater's marks as we have seen time and time again. Jun-Hwan, Dabin, Young You, (will need to learn from So Young) will all need to go above and beyond what is necessary to earn their marks...particularly in PCS which has become a necessity to survive in this sport.

The more I have got to know the sport and its judging system, the politics and biases within the management side of things, the more I grew to appreciate and respect what a miracle Yuna Kim is. How she is able to pull herself up through sheer excellence and strong will despite everything. Yuzu's Chopin does remind me of Yuna's Tango De Roxanne at first senior world when she broke the world record coming back from injuries when she had little or no practice. Her final battle at Sochi is simply incredible, for it really exposed the rotten side of the sport in plain sight, also skating injured.

One can even argued, her contribution to the sport including finally getting rid of anonymous judging once and for all to ensure judges can at least be held accountable for their 'federation judgement'.

(Edited to remove quoted post which has been removed)

Very good post, one of many amazing ones in the last couple pages. This thread warms my heart. I especially agree how admireable it is that she overcame the adversity of not having a powerful federation to back her up. Just having Orser as a coach also doesn't automatically get favor (as we see with the subverted PCS of Cha and Elizabet), and even when she went back to her former roots completely she was able to dominate. And, I think the rising skaters see that this is necessary, which is why Young You is training 3A. Wise move.

breadstal

Record Breaker
The reason why 2018 Olympics are so great so far is because Yuna Kim cleansed us all with her magic when she was lighting the Olympic torch - someone on Twitter :laugh:

The reason why 2018 Olympics are so great so far is because Yuna Kim cleansed us all with her magic when she was lighting the Olympic torch - someone on Twitter :laugh:

There really is something supernatural about it all.

She gets robbed.

She is unfazed. Continues working for the Olympics taking place in her country.

Lights the torch.

Someone says that her favourite events are men's and dance.

Men's event has perfect winner.

V/M her favourite dance team. Attends event to see their final performance.

V/M win.

We're not making this up.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What the ... from the Official Olympic channel.

https://twitter.com/Olympics/status/965816873500606464

:laugh:

--------

There really is something supernatural about it all.

She gets robbed.

She is unfazed. Continues working for the Olympics taking place in her country.

Lights the torch.

Someone says that her favourite events are men's and dance.

Men's event has perfect winner.

V/M her favourite dance team. Attends event to see their final performance.

V/M win.

We're not making this up.

Not only that.. I think Moulin Rouge choice in Korea helped... it is the music Korea fell in love with figure skating due to her Senior season debut WR program. (IMHO why many wanted to use it for this year)

Don't forget there's also Aliona who won the pairs, She and Robin always get invited to Yuna's Shows, they were even with her @ NRW trophy in Dortmund in 2012 - the humble competition when they were all making their comeback. Now Carolina always gets invited to her shows as well ... let's see how she get on with the ladies. Nice coincidences perhaps, but wouldn't it be nice to attribute it to the Yuna effect?

Yeah, Yuna and her mum have always liked Ice Dancing, I actually think that came across in her programs + shows. She grew up liking skaters like Jeff Buttle, Stephane Lambiel (invited to every single one of her shows), Early Johnny Weir (Hanyu is bit like her, similar taste), and has a huge appreciation of Patrick's SS.

What the ... from the Official Olympic channel.

Not only that.. I think Moulin Rouge choice in Korea helped... it is the music Korea fell in love with figure skating due to her Senior season debut WR program. (IMHO why many wanted to use it for this year)

I thought that too!

Wow, what if Yuna really is an angel?

Great gif, but what's up with all the comments? Why are they all saying that Pyeongchang Olympics are bad? :(
Some corruption that inevitably takes place in every Olympics. They're fools for specifically saying "dirty PyeongChang" and "worst Olympics ever", when most likely it just didn't affect them before.

Wish they'd stop tagging Yuna, not her fault. She knows first hand about corruption.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
JUST WOW!!! this might be my favourite photoshoot of her, she looks incredible :love:

I actually can't believe how poreless her skin looks. I know there's lots of foundation in k-beauty when it comes to makeup, but I think her natural skin is also amazing. I'm so jealous :shocked:

Some corruption that inevitably takes place in every Olympics. They're fools for specifically saying "dirty PyeongChang" and "worst Olympics ever", when most likely it just didn't affect them before.

Wish they'd stop tagging Yuna, not her fault. She knows first hand about corruption.

I agree. :disapp:

cooper

Medalist

Re the comments: I think the controversy occurred in short track speed skating last night because of the disqualification of the Chinese/Canadian teams and Korean won gold.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
It seems people are really pissed off with whatever happened. Everywhere I look at skating related social media there are people complaining and being extremely rude and full of hate. :/
Such a shame that there is always some shady event to spoil the Olympic spirit.