Yuna Kim | Page 275 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^I hope to see a new program from Yuna. and he is getting choreo in Canada rn, so I suppose it is NEW choreo:biggrin:

As for what style, like @rikaquegira said she has done jazz and sexy so what's next.

Actually, I always had this crazy idea for Yuna to do something very classical (like music from composers who lived more than 100 years ago) I think she only did Moonlight Sonata that fits in this genre, but that is a group number.just to further display her diversity and piss off some non-sayers.

but realistically, I think Yuna's new program or whatever it will be, perhaps will be light. cos she is just ease into skating again after a whole 4 years break. but she could surprise us too.

like @Izabela said, whatever it is, Yuna's musicality will save the day.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
^^I hope to see a new program from Yuna. and he is getting choreo in Canada rn, so I suppose it is NEW choreo:biggrin:

As for what style, like @rikaquegira said she has done jazz and sexy so what's next.

Actually, I always had this crazy idea for Yuna to do something very classical (like music from composers who lived more than 100 years ago) I think she only did Moonlight Sonata that fits in this genre, but that is a group number.just to further display her diversity and piss off some non-sayers.

but realistically, I think Yuna's new program or whatever it will be, perhaps will be light. cos she is just ease into skating again after a whole 4 years break. but she could surprise us too.

like @Izabela said, whatever it is, Yuna's musicality will save the day.

I absolutely loved her Moonlight sonata, one of my fav group numbers from her show. It was back then when Adam had curley cherub hair.. oh these were the days...

I simply can't wait!!!! Yes something really classics would be amazing too... even Chopin :D

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I absolutely loved her Moonlight sonata, one of my fav group numbers from her show. It was back then when Adam had curley churub hair.. oh these were the days...

I simply can't wait!!!!

and before Adam's nasal high pitch speaking voice when he still speaks like normal human bean :laugh2:

Jokes aside,

Those days, Yuna Queen really influenced a generation of skaters. male or female.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
OS thank you for introducing me Jessie J.:love:

Bang bang would be an amazing with Yuna/Tessa/Kaetlyn I am telling you. You can just imagine the group numbers :)

Bring her return with a BANG :D These 3 are mature ladies knows how to work 'it', sell tons of tickets for the next few years...

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Lol! I cannot imagine Yuna dancing to Bang Bang! [emoji23]
But of course she could pull it off, that woman can pull off anything, I’m not doubting.
But I sill think she’ll do something with a “thank you” vibe.
Last time she did a program as a thank you we got the gorgeous Meditation from Thais. Then she did Homage to Korea, which was so emotional and perfect.
I think Arirang would be a very obvious choice. David Wilson doesn’t seem to like obvious, but since it would be nice anyway and everyone would enjoy it, I can see it happening. It could even become a group number. Yuna starts alone and then other skaters join her. Oh, now this I can picture!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Izabela

On the Ice
Revisiting her first ever worlds performances, because why not? :yes2:

(Current system. Spirals regarded as ChSq in LP)

El Tango de Roxanne, W07

This is my favourite SP of hers. Only Mao surpassed it in W14.

The Lark Ascending, W07

...Am I being biased? What is up with those judges' scores? I guess I could knock the CO/IN a little (more -- those might just be 10 worthy if clean, really), but that would still put this into the 120s.

We had it differently with the 3F-3T. I will give her +3 GOE on her SP and +2.5 on FS, and I swear I will push judges to make that execution in her SP the standard for this combo. I also had to rewatch her El Tango to check her layback spin and goodness you are right! She did accelerate to match the music. I will also give CO a 9.5 because of its unique structure. The way they placed her lutz after her spin effectively built the anticipation to it, and it was placed there specifically to match the music. If she wasn’t wobbly on her spirals, I would also give the IN a solid 10. Aside from her SS, and TR, her IN, PE and CO should be really off the chart: between 9.25-9.75 I say. So am I more biased? :laugh: This SP is just ridiculously good. No wonder the Japanese crowd fell in love to it. (ETA: I also love her use of upper body here. I love her relationship with Wilson, but I also wished she had another program from Dickson.)

I can’t possibly look at TLA and not give it all 10s because that’s just how I love it LOL. But seriously, this deserves a 10 on CO and IN if not fo Yuna’s 2 falls. And I thought her arm movements were just the right amount, although the tiredness was kinda visible in the end. Her body was too tilted when she entered her 3Lz I guess that’s why she had those falls. Was her boots issue got solved at this point?

We had it differently with the 3F-3T. I will give her +3 GOE on her SP and +2.5 on FS, and I swear I will push judges to make that execution in her SP the standard for this combo. I also had to rewatch her El Tango to check her layback spin and goodness you are right! She did accelerate to match the music. I will also give CO a 9.5 because of its unique structure. The way they placed her lutz after her spin effectively built the anticipation to it, and it was placed there specifically to match the music. If she wasn’t wobbly on her spirals, I would also give the IN a solid 10. Aside from her SS, and TR, her IN, PE and CO should be really off the chart: between 9.25-9.75 I say. So am I more biased? :laugh: This SP is just ridiculously good. No wonder the Japanese crowd fell in love to it.

I can’t possibly look at TLA and not give it all 10s because that’s just how I love it LOL. But seriously, this deserves a 10 on CO and IN if not fo Yuna’s 2 falls. And I thought her arm movements were just the right amount, although the tiredness was kinda visible in the end. Her body was too tilted when she entered her 3Lz I guess that’s why she had those falls. Was her boots issue got solved at this point?

I actually think I might have those GOEs around. Why do you think so, though? I thought she had more pop in the LP, but I think she was tilted, too. Honestly, her execution in these two can never be matched.

I think I undermarked her in CO, now. I think the CO is great. It was in the IN where I wished she'd had better SS at that point, because she could have benefited from being able to created larger, more emphasised curves between the spin and her lutz. Even the spirals still work, even though we don't care about them anymore!

Yuna makes us all biased! But really, that routine would get 80 in PCS now if done by current judges' faves.

I think she'd injured her back because of her boot issues. :/ I think I would mark CO 10, and a 9.75 on IN if clean. Probably.

(ETA: I also love her use of upper body here. I love her relationship with Wilson, but I also wished she had another program from Dickson.)

:yes: I really think she should've explored more. It might be the one real flaw in her career.

Izabela

On the Ice
I actually think I might have those GOEs around. Why do you think so, though? I thought she had more pop in the LP, but I think she was tilted, too. Honestly, her execution in these two can never be matched.

I think I undermarked her in CO, now. I think the CO is great. It was in the IN where I wished she'd had better SS at that point, because she could have benefited from being able to created larger, more emphasised curves between the spin and her lutz. Even the spirals still work, even though we don't care about them anymore!

Yuna makes us all biased! But really, that routine would get 80 now if done by current judges' faves.

I think she'd injured her back because of her boot issues. :/ I think I would mark CO 10, and a 9.75 on IN if clean. Probably.

I’m looking at the landing of her 3F, and she had a smoother flow on her SP compared to her FS, which made her attached 3T looked more seamless there. So I’m giving it +3. Check the sound of her landing on her 3F in FS, it caused a slight disruption in her “flow” and I’m saying this in the context of what I thought TLA should be: a flowing river.

This is why sometimes I hate Yuna for not repeating a program! (I say that affectionately and ironically because I also love that she is not repeating a program), because with better SS, she could have done more with El Tango. I wanted this to be her highest scoring SP (rather than the iconic Bond Medley which I think isn’t her best). Although my fave Yuna’s SP is Send in the Clowns (bcoz reasons!), her El Tango had a unique flair to it.

This is why sometimes I hate Yuna for not repeating a program! (I say that affectionately and ironically because I also love that she is not repeating a program), because with better SS, she could have done more with El Tango. I wanted this to be her highest scoring SP (rather than the iconic Bond Medley which I think isn’t her best). Although my fave Yuna’s SP is Send in the Clowns (bcoz reasons!), her El Tango had a unique flair to it.

I think Bond is overrated. :slink: It's a showcase of her performance ability, but the choreography is too much of playing to the judges, very unimaginative, except at a few points. Very... Olympics-y. :slink:

I really think she should have worked with a couple other choreographers, but Wilson also gave her two of the best LPs of all time/under CoP. :confused:

Izabela

On the Ice
Is saying her Bond Medley was mostly buoyed by her charisma an unpopular opinion here? Because that’s what I felt. She was sooo sooo charismatic when she did it in Skate America which perhaps made it so iconic as it is. :laugh: I guess they had to because Danse Macabre (in terms of wow factor) was a difficult feat to follow through.

I think Yuna really became Wilson’s muse and they have this personal connection neither party didn’t want to break. Most of Wilson’s masterpieces are Yuna’s so yeah.

I hope not, because that's what I feel too. No one else can pull it off, but no one else should have to. :p I also think Danse Macabre could have been more finely tuned because the concept was a good one, but sometimes I do feel like I don't get how it's as amazing as everyone says it is.

Izabela

On the Ice
I dunno, I love Danse Macabre. Maybe because the music is good? From my part, it’s because everytime I watch it I feel like wanting to dance it too. The way she moved her head in the beginning, and her arm movements during her stsq, they are so easily recognizable you want to do it yourself. The euro guys got it right, it doesn’t feel like this is a program scrutinized for points. Danse Macabre is a classical rock, but she transformed it to a modern dance, probably aldo why it attracted lots of casuals. It was the program that made me really cheer for Yuna (I was initially a Mao fan then and refused to acknowledge her existence lol).

I get the rockstar comparison, definitely. Her personality and charisma on ice is really what sold her to the audience so well, and protected her from criticism of her not-so-good programs like Scheherezade, IMO. And her technique and skating in general as well, of course.

Danse Macabre, I feel like she didn't yet have the SS chops to do that StSq justice. She was kind of rough on the turns, really, and kind of slow. Also, I'm kind of disappointed with the placement of elements. For example, IDK why the layback and the sit spin are back to back it doesn't really add effect to the music. They both look good and are musical/inoffensive individually, but otherwise... Unfortunately, the Spiral Sequence was a required element, so there might have been no other way. Also, the beginning could have been interpreted more -- not the head movements, but the music was pretty intense, and she was just skating backwards into the 3F-3T. They should have at least made her attempt steps into that combo (she could do it in her Korean Nats 2013 SP!). And after the landing, she's just posing and/or using arm movements. IDK, it could have been so much more! She practically sold it with her performance ability, but I guess that's what it was supposed to be playing on anyway. It doesn't feel like gunning for points though, that much is right.

Izabela

On the Ice
LOL I love that we're pointing out the flaws of her programs. We couldn't be possibly accused of believing that Yuna is perfect. :laugh2:

Scheherezade for me is that program where I can see as pasted artistry. There are parts of it that I like, but I thought this is a program where Wilson heavily relied on Yuna's musicality and let's make "this move here and there" to hit that (obvious) notes but IMO there's nothing special to it. And oh I agree with Yuna's footwork in Dance Macabre being not as fluid, but her attack, and arm and upper body movement made up for it. I was actually curious why they placed her spins right next to each other there, but I think it's because they were building that momentum to her step sequence and they didn't know where to place them better. The way the audience roared in great anticipation after her spins suggest they didn't mind at all. She owned the audience there.

Is it an insult to Yuna's artistry to say that for the most part, I thought her programs are lowbrow, or "anti-elitist"? What I'm saying is that she is an elite skater whose programs are for the masses, almost having a sense that her programs are for the "outsiders." I wonder if she somehow offended the FS elite circle with her programs because they don't really pay attention to the classical, and I wonder if that's the intention of Wilson when doing her choreography.

It just means we've watched them far too many times! And we aren't mindless robots! :D

I agree with Scheherezade being pasted on. :/ She maybe shouldn't have been made to do these heavy pieces at such an age (I think she could have pulled it off when older, though), because she didn't yet have the chops. But that's fine, because she was at least made to explore her range.

Interesting! And I'd say not an insult. To me the best artists are the ones who bring the masses in, not isolate them, and the best ones are the ones who try to take steps. I'd love to know what Wilson thought, but Yuna's HtK tells me that maybe she had this philosophy.

Izabela

On the Ice
If you look at her entire body of work (including her exhibitions), she rarely did classical (and I meant music from the revered classical musicians) or even warhorses songs. She skated to Beyonce and Rihanna, to Christina's rendition of Reflection instead of the Lea Salonga. Her musical choices are really interesting to say the least. Maybe also why some only considered her a performer but not an artist during her competitive years? I wonder how new fs fans perceive her work now, if they consider them highly artistic. Kinda like the the transformation of Shakespeare work, from a mass enjoyment to the realm of high art (and how maybe she had change the landscape of how we define "artistry" haha)

If you look at her entire body of work (including her exhibitions), she rarely did classical (and I meant music from the revered classical musicians) or even warhorses songs. She skated to Beyonce and Rihanna, to Christina's rendition of Reflection instead of the Lea Salonga. Her musical choices are really interesting to say the least. Maybe also why some only considered her a performer but not an artist during her competitive years? I wonder how new fs fans perceive her work now, if they consider them highly artistic. Kinda like the the transformation of Shakespeare work, from a mass enjoyment to the realm of high art (and how maybe she had change the landscape of how we define "artistry" haha)

These are actually really interesting perspectives. We need a figure skating historian!

Ophelia

Record Breaker

She deliberately tried to avoid warhorses. She wanted to do Nessun Dorma for Sochi, but she and Wilson decided against it because they were worried it was overused. Nessun Dorma ended up being an exhibition piece for her last ATS show.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Bond is overrated. :slink: It's a showcase of her performance ability, but the choreography is too much of playing to the judges, very unimaginative, except at a few points. Very... Olympics-y. :slink:

I really think she should have worked with a couple other choreographers, but Wilson also gave her two of the best LPs of all time/under CoP. :confused:

What do you think about Higuchi's Bond?

What do you think about Higuchi's Bond?

Higuchi's bond: I like it. It's a play on her personality, too, but the choreography, to me, is better. Where Yuna's bond should have played to her ability to transform with the music (in this case, I feel like she should have been made to do more "mysterious" movement, it might have made a nice contrast with the music -- like a cold sense of power, or maybe with a different music cut), Bourne makes Higuchi's Bond play on her actual strength -- her physical strength. She's able to pull out very strong movement like that split into her besti squat, and she thrives because she feels very comfortable while performing it. Definitely the most interesting LP of the season. Don't know if it holds with some of the best pieces, but enough to get me excited about her.