Yuna Kim | Page 278 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Whoa, what an unexpected (not warhorse and overdone) piece of music. I really like it! Pleasantly surprised by her music and film taste.

kimi492

Final Flight
https://twitter.com/boyangsupremist/status/988969939036921857?s=21

According to this translation, Yuna is apparently skating to House of Woodcock for ATS! (I am vigirously stalking folks on twitter for all info haha)

For anyone who’s not familiar with the song: https://youtu.be/bT_XjcdgT6g
I looooveeee this music so much and now, more than ever, can’t wait for her program!

My whole life is going to be slayed - I loved Phantom Thread and this piece is so Yuna - I can't help but freak out!!!!!
Edit: only thing I would have enjoyed more is a dark dramatic piece which Yuna does so well but she's also great with soft lyrical pieces like this... she's just so versatile!!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/boyangsupremist/status/988969939036921857?s=21

According to this translation, Yuna is apparently skating to House of Woodcock for ATS! (I am vigorously stalking folks on twitter for all info haha)

For anyone who’s not familiar with the song: https://youtu.be/bT_XjcdgT6g
I looooveeee this music so much and now, more than ever, can’t wait for her program!

I am getting the chills... it is going to be such a beautiful exquisite program!!!

(My fav things in the world: Yuna Kim, Daniel Day Lewis, and the search for breathtaking perfection)

Wilson's life is good in Toronto :D I will so die if Bezic get to choreograph for her too!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbmGZsaVMAAZYLD.jpg:large

cooper

Medalist
Great choice! And I love Johnny Greenwood. He should have won the Best Original Score though I also love Alexandre Desplat's work in The Shape of Water.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Different, from anything Yuna has done.
I never heard this music nor the Oscar nominee movie before. just listened it because of Yuna's music choice. I am in love, actually, the music itself is exactly what I have hoped Yuna may skate to (or add in her repertoire). now cannot wait to see what kinda choreo will be danced along with this music.:love::luv17::eek::

And Yuna chose this music herself!!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
a comment from "House of Woodcock" YT vidoe

"THIS SOUNDTRACK had me in the theater listening to every piano key. I don't even play the Piano but I just thought it added so much to the film."

I like the use of chord here some unusual arrangement. added to its unique emotional range. also parts of it reminds me of Chopin's "rain drop".

Izabela

On the Ice
^It’s true! There are many parts of the movie where the soundtrack overwhelms the story that you can’t help but pay attention to it rather than what’s going on the screen. More than the music, I’m actually surprised that Yuna went out and watched this film!

rikaquegira

On the Ice

rikaquegira

On the Ice
^It’s true! There are many parts of the movie where the soundtrack overwhelms the story that you can’t help but pay attention to it rather than what’s going on the screen. More than the music, I’m actually surprised that Yuna went out and watched this film!

Yuna has good taste! :)

I loved this soundtrack and the movie was interesting, not the most captivating but it was kind of dark and strange but romantic and beautifully shot.

Now that we have the music I’m wondering how her dress will be!

Izabela

On the Ice
^OMG yes, the dress! :drama: There's so much to look forward to I can'ttt. I try not to hype myself so much about this but argggh, just knowing that we'll gonna have another Yuna program that we can rewatch over and over is just so beautiful. I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who watches Yuna's programs to noooo eendddd :laugh:

Lynn from twitter translated this additional news about ATS (in the off chance that you visit this place ILYSM thanks for translating and giving info :luv17:)

https://twitter.com/boyangsupremist/status/989352221572718592

So, Yuna will gonna have a fan meeting on the 19th with those who bought the K&C tickets. The price tickets are also out now. (That's it, I'll probably stay local instead and watch SOI. Not because the prices are too high, but I don't think I'll be able to buy tickets at allllll)

Scheherezade, W09!

3F-3T +2/+1.4 What else? 11.0
2A +1.5/+0.75 Something didn't click here. A 2A to that music cue makes no sense. And her spiral out of her jump is too wobbly to get any extra credit. 4.05
3Lz-2T-2Lo +1.5/+1.05 To the music, but really nothing too special. 10.15
FSSp4 +1/+0.5 Sure. 3.5
2A-3T +1.5/+1.05 Alright. 8.65
3Lz +1.5/+1.05 Something's off in this routine. 7.65
ChSq1 +1/0.7 2.7
2S< -2/-0.4 Two footed. 0.5
CoSp4 +1/+0.5 OK. 3.5
StSq3 +1/+0.5 David Wilson, what were you on? 3.8
2A +2/+1 Finally!! 4.63
CCoSp4 0/0 Such a foolish rule. 0

TES: 60.13

Yeah, I'm going to assume she disliked it just as much as I did.

PCS (here goes :slink:):

SS: 8.00 Nothing special on display here. It would be an injustice to mark her lower than 8, though.
TR: 8.00 A few transitions exist, basically in the form of SEs, Ina Bauers and body movements.
PE: 7.50 Nothing too special, and the expressions seem pasted on for the most part. She does project outwardly, and deserves credit there. 0.25 bonus for the moment with the 2A at the end.
CO: 7.00 Oh, boy. This might be the shallowest piece of choreography Wilson gave Yuna. Even including Miss Saigon, which had a few elements of brilliance in a sea of meh. Everything seems too slow, except finally when she does her 2A. The ina into the 2A made NO SENSE, except to superficially hit a cue. Her posing is strangely angular for this grand music. She isn't expanding and filling out the musical cues. That step sequence is awful. Not even Yuna could salvage it! WHAT WERE YOU SMOKING WILSON?
IN: 7.50 She hits cues, though not always with appropriate fervour, and gets a bonus for her small celebration after her last 2A, and the final spin, while invalid, has some good musicality.

PCS: 60.8

TSS: 120.93

So... To get back into your good graces again, here's her 2011 routines!

Giselle, W11

3Lz: -3/-2.1 Step out, and solo jump with no preceding steps. 3.9
3F-2T +1.5/+1.05 Great 3F, but this element doesn't deserve more than this. 7.65
FSSp4 0/0 3.0
2A +1.5/0.75 Good. 4.05
LSp4 +1/0.5 It's alright. 3.2
StSq3 +1.5/+0/75 Can I mark this as level 4, please? I love it. She missed exactly one cue there. 4.05
CCoSp4: +1.5/0.75 Musical timing = bonus. 4.25

TES: 30.6

PCS:
SS: 8.50 Good show here, shows changes in speed, comes to pauses effortlessly.
TR: 7.75 There are plenty, and there is good choreography in between. Her jumps at the beginning make her rush a little unfortunately.
PE: 8.50 Nice performance, and she takes several moments in between to perform, and perform well.
CO: 8.25 Well constructed for the most part. I must question why the first two jumps were placed back to back. That music which built to the 3F should have been for a spin, and then a 3F, on the exit cue for the sit spin, maybe. Annoying, because that 2A is timed so well! But the choreographic elements otherwise have time to breathe. Just don't know why the removal of the spiral sequence wasn't taken full advantage of.
IN: 8.50 Very good timing, precision. Everything Scheherezade could have been had she been given at a more mature stage of her development.

PCS: 33.2

TSS: 63.80

Wish she had been clean. This is such a good routine for her.

Homage to Korea, W11:

3Lz-3T +2.5 /1.75 So if it weren't for the lack of flow from her 3T, it would have been a +3. All turns done in air, I think, and that knee bend and snap she had after her 3Lz is stunning. Her best one, and the benchmark 3Lz-3T for ladies, I think. 12.05
3S-1T 0/0 4.80
1F 0/0 0.5
LSp4 +1/0.5 Slightly matched to the music at first, but her edge gets sloppy in her Biellmann. 3.2
2A-2T-2Lo +2/+1 Huge, with musical timing. +8.04
3Lz +2.5/1.75 Stunning. 8.35
FSSp4 +1/+0.5 Beautifully done to the music. 3.5
StSq3 +2/+1 Again, can this be level 4? Maybe the best step sequence she's done in terms of intricacy. 4.3
ChSq1 +2.5/1.75 Utterly beautiful. 3.75
3S +1/+0.7 5.54
2A +1.5/+0.75 No build up at all. 4.38
CCoSp4 +1/+0.5 Could be timed better. 4.00

TES: 62.41

SS: 8.50 Great show, yet again.
TR: 8.25 Beautifully woven together, and plenty in between jumps, and in and out of them, too.
PE: 8.50 That show during her StSq and ChSq will very rarely ever be matched these days. Lipinski can go away with her nonsense about how the "magic" wasn't there. She pulled everything out of herself after she failed her two jumps, just look at the jumps she did after that! She was there to win, and she should have. She could have maybe just given a little bit more at the beginning to warrant a 9+ score.
CO: 8.75 Beautiful routine. But her failed jumps take away from a sense of completeness. The first half is definitely weaker than the second though, so probably wouldn't cross 9 with the jumps.
IN: 8.50 She captured nearly every nuance during the step sequence. Nearly every single one. That ChSq is beautiful. I just have to deduct a little for her failed timing with the jumps and the final spin. She could have gone a little further with her movements towards the beginning.

PCS: 68.0

TSS: 130.41

Izabela

On the Ice
It really tells a lot when I have to go back and watch Scheherezade to know why you don’t like the stsq. It lacks the nuance that she usually displays and again, music has layers and IMO they only hit the surface of the music here.

And to see the difference between that and Homage to Korea, you can tell when the choreographer really pays attention to the music rather than trying to make a safe choreography maybe for Yuna to skate clean. It almost reached TLA level for me. As Warwick said over the other thread, HtK’s (and several of Yuna’s) stsq are evidences that you don’t always have to attack aggressively to make your step sequence look beautiful. The way they built up the stsq for that spsq is the most seamless spiral sequence Yuna has ever done, and her best in terms of bringing out the music. What stands out about Homage to Korea is that Yuna is not just skating to music, she feels like part of it. (Well, she almost always does, but it’s more profound here.) She is like an instrument that draws out every note of this piece. And you almost forget that this is not just one music but several woven together. (Yuna’s best stsq for me is her AN one but in terms of intricacy I may have to agree).

I also agree completely, this is her best showing of her 3Lz-3T! To think she could match her 3F-3T in 2007 in terms of beauty is surreal for me lol. All in all, I strongly believe she should have won Gold here, and that she doesn’t tells a lot about how she was not really held up by the judges. Also the reason why, despite debates on overscoring here and there, she never has a controversial win. In all her Wolds event, the moment she makes a glaring mistake she’s out from the gold contention.

Are we skipping the Olympics here because while I do think she was overscored on her LP (and so were almost everyone in that comp to be honest :laugh:), it’s impossible for me to score her without putting into consideration the event, the atmosphere, the pressure, the hype and the way she cried at the end. That moment is just so magical like I don’t want to point out her faults haha.

Giselle and HtK are two of those programs I wanted to see more. But we cannot change history :sad21:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I want to go and watch it live. But the ticket auction will be a bloodbath and I don't live in Korea. I'm happy she will skate again but also so very sad that there's 99% chance that I won't be able to see her skate live.
*looks at the sky "looord whyyy"