Yuna Kim | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

jian10

Rinkside
Thank you, Ice&Glass, for posting Yu Na letter. I didn't know about that letter until now. She is such a mature young lady.

Goldenskater

Rinkside
Someone posted this on Yuna's forum...

According to Today Korea, those pictures were taken at Hyundai Starex/Genesis delivery ceremony held on 4-12-10 (Korean time). Hyundai Motor Co. plans to support Yuna by providing these cars so that she will be able to concentrate on training more intensively with no distraction. :think:

Yuna will use a Starex during her stay in Korea and when she flies back to Canada she'll use a Genesis along with a Veracruz she's been using.

- One more season perhaps? :laugh::p
hehe......

aurora100

Final Flight
Several people have said they don't feel academics is what motivates her. I am not questioning that she is at least averagely bright or higher. My point is she is not herself strongly motivated at this point to do more than skate or rake in the endorsements. Yes I read she gave money to Haitii and is trying to build Korean jr figureskaters. My point is, and I DO like her, she can do really great things as she is SO rich and SO influential. She seems to be sweet with a heart. She is looking for direction right now and all her hangers on will want her to keep skating for the endorsements and $. I think anyone so favored and gifted by nature/god/luck needs to give back in a big way. I said I am hoping she becomes a great stateswoman or ambassador and esp helps her country's big problems. I hope her focus goes beyond finding jr skaters with talent to promote. She IS after all on times 100 most influential list! Use it wisely Yu-na. This girl has lived in an FS bubble. I hope she finds some world class people/philanthropists in her circle. I don't think she likes the fame and she doesn't seem bowled over by all the money. She is clearly loking for direction.

Again, I like her, what's not to like? I only recently returned to this board in the midst of yuna/mao craziness. I have decided I will now root for the underdog who wants that Sochi gold. Little Mao. I expect Kim to do GREAT things if she can perceive how money and fame can better the lives of her countrymen. I hope you understsand me better. :) Kim would do well to see how much another very sucessful Gold medalist, Scott Hamilton does for other people, not just skaters.

ps. I will root for Mirai first, tho if she is a contender in 4 years. I just have a strong feeling that barring injury, Mao will do anything she can to have oly gold. It's always tough as I enjoy so many skaters.

Yuna is only 20 years old. She has years to do philanthropic work, be an ambassador. She can be the UN ambassador for children. She could be the President of Korea. Even Michele Kwan didn't get into public service until at least she was 25 or once she was done pursuing her dream in figure skating. And these are all things Yuna can do while she is skating. Busy and famous people multi task all the time. She could set up a charity organization to spend her money and make use of her name while she skates and gets endorsement. There doesn't have to be exclusive choices here. I'm sure her management firm and the Government of Korea will make sure her name and presence is used for all kinds of good causes.

From what I read, she is very interested in school. She did well in younger school years. I think she finds it hard to be a normal university student, especially in Korea. No wonder, it's a gong show each time she shows up at her university. On the other hand, she could choose to go to school in Toronto and skate if she wanted to.

And she can skate competitively or professionally and do all of the above. She is breaking new grounds as a figure skater on and off the ice and she will set new rules about how she uses her fame and fortune. As a figure skating fan, I just want her to be a skater always in some way. That is what she was born to be.

Last edited:

Goldenskater

Rinkside
Yuna is only 20 years old. She has years to do philanthropic work, be an ambassador. She can be the UN ambassador for children. She could be the President of Korea. Even Michele Kwan didn't get into public service until at least she was 25 or once she was done pursuing her dream in figure skating. And these are all things Yuna can do while she is skating. Busy and famous people multi task all the time. She could set up a charity organization to spend her money and make use of her name while she skates and gets endorsement. There doesn't have to be exclusive choices here. I'm sure her management firm and the Government of Korea will make sure her name and presence is used for all kinds of good causes.

From what I read, she is very interested in school. She did well in younger school years. I think she finds it hard to be a normal university student, especially in Korea. No wonder, it's a gong show each time she shows up at her university. On the other hand, she could choose to go to school in Toronto and skate if she wanted to.

And she can skate competitively or professionally and do all of the above. She is breaking new grounds as a figure skater on and off the ice and she will set new rules about how she uses her fame and fortune. As a figure skating fan, I just want her to be a skater always in some way. That is what she was born to be.
YuNa is 19 yrs old...hehe

parma

On the Ice
I wonder when Yu-na kim, who doesn't exactly have , say, Rachel Flatt's I.Q. to go academic, will start using her time, money and influence to do major philanthropic projects in her country and around Asia, She should take a page from her stated Idol, American Michelle Kwan. Asia needs this top 100 most influential person to do GREAT things....surely she has proven she can skate and pose for endorsements. I hope she begins maturing as a powerful woman who can help people besides figureskating wannabees from Korea. I wonder if koreans might suggest great needs this influential lady could concern herself with? What's left to win anyway for her? Nothing.

Wow, you are so behind in terms of the news about her philanthropy, and perhaps you should do a little bit of research before putting a post about it. Yuna has been giving back ever since she became financially capable of doing so four years ago and the donation size so far reaches at least $2 mil. Besides her usual donations for less fortunate people and young growing skaters, she has participated Sichuan and Haiti earth quake relief programs, have been working with UNICEF for the last 3 years, did an ice show and donated all the revenue from it for young cancer patients' treatment, supported school children with their school uniforms, has been a honorary ambassador for at least 10 different non-profit socially conscious organizations... the list goes on.

As far as Rachael's I.Q. is concerned, I can't tell whose I.Q. is higher because I haven't seen their test scores, but besides that I am sure Rachael knows a thing or two more about physics because she has spent more time on learning it than Yuna has done. In fact she is probably proficient in it more than any skaters in the world. That matters to me as much as Bob next door has a cat named Bob. :) Good for Rachael, but absolutely means zero to me.

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice
Orser's Seoul honorary citizenship ceremony:

http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipViewByVid.do?vid=q9VcnjrNE4Q$

Figure88

On the Ice
Orser's Seoul honorary citizenship ceremony:

http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipViewByVid.do?vid=q9VcnjrNE4Q$

Very cool. Thank you.

I wonder when Yu-na kim, who doesn't exactly have , say, Rachel Flatt's I.Q. to go academic,

I'm not too sure if you know anything about universities in Korea. Korea U. is one of the top 3 schools. The rank is about the equivalent of Princeton in the US. It's known as a feeder school for Korean elites, along with the 2 other top universities, Seoul National and Yonsei. Also, Korean universities are extremely competitive to get into.

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
I'm not too sure if you know anything about universities in Korea. Korea U. is one of the top 3 schools. The rank is about the equivalent of Princeton in the US. It's known as a feeder school for Korean elites, along with the 2 other top universities, Seoul National and Yonsei. Also, Korean universities are extremely competitive to get into.

Yes, actually Korea University is where the current president Mr. Lee was graduated from, though he's not that famous in his country.:biggrin:

Figure88

On the Ice
Yes, actually Korea University is where the current president Mr. Lee was graduated from, though he's not that famous in his country.:biggrin:

Yes, and he probably would not be the President if he had not graduated from a "name" school given his family background. Such is the nature of Korean society.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
to parma

Wow, you are so behind in terms of the news about her philanthropy, and perhaps you should do a little bit of research before putting a post about it. Yuna has been giving back ever since she became financially capable of doing so four years ago and the donation size so far reaches at least $2 mil. Besides her usual donations for less fortunate people and young growing skaters, she has participated Sichuan and Haiti earth quake relief programs, have been working with UNICEF for the last 3 years, did an ice show and donated all the revenue from it for young cancer patients' treatment, supported school children with their school uniforms, has been a honorary ambassador for at least 10 different non-profit socially conscious organizations... the list goes on.

As far as Rachael's I.Q. is concerned, I can't tell whose I.Q. is higher because I haven't seen their test scores, but besides that I am sure Rachael knows a thing or two more about physics because she has spent more time on learning it than Yuna has done. In fact she is probably proficient in it more than any skaters in the world. That matters to me as much as Bob next door has a cat named Bob. :) Good for Rachael, but absolutely means zero to me.

I have read some of this but not being in the skating loop on boards for 3 years, I did not know ALL of this like a korean would or uber fan might. Good for Yu-Na. I like her even more now (as a person). Hooray for her. As I said, and as I think even moreso now, she has done all she can in skating in terms off medals, though there is always room to improve. Her Turin performance screamed to me anyway... I don't want to be here! After seeing that photo of her on the massage/pt bench, yikes! I would not blame her if she moved to an Island with no ice for a while.

My point is (former social worker here) THINK what she can do with the money and influence for years to come. It will likely be a while before the next oly gold medalist comes from her home. I am pleased to read how caring she is. I think this helps with her success on the ice, too. Judges admire the Scott Hamiltons of the skate world.