Yuna Kim | Page 305 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

axon

Rinkside
I haven't been here in a long while due to some personal difficulties and overall being extremely busy, but when I saw on twitter that she'll be in a few more shows this year, I was thrilled! It really seems that her time away helped her renew her interest (and ofc, now she is liberated from the 2018 olympics pressure). It'll be awesome to see her again. Hope you all have been doing well too :)
And of course, a happy very belated birthday to the one and only queen :luv17:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Welcome back!

Last news I saw from Yuna was her attending the opening of a New Balance store in Gangnam. I think it was the opening, I’m not sure, I used translator. She looked beautiful as always, she did some chatting and signed posters.

I can’t wait for her new performances in Spain, it will be my christmas gift!! [emoji23]

axon

Rinkside
^ Thanks! And I didn't see any photos of that when I looked, but I'm sure it went great. She looked lovely with her NB birthday cake :D
I hope you have a great time at the shows, she'll have had more time to practice by then, so I wonder if she'll add some jumps? :O It will be an amazing experience, I'm sure!

rikaquegira

On the Ice
^ Thanks! And I didn't see any photos of that when I looked, but I'm sure it went great. She looked lovely with her NB birthday cake :D
I hope you have a great time at the shows, she'll have had more time to practice by then, so I wonder if she'll add some jumps? :O It will be an amazing experience, I'm sure!

Oh, I’m not going to the show! I WISH! [emoji23]
I just meant that since it’s in december it will be like a christmas gift.

And true, she’ll have more time to practice so maybe she’ll do something different from All That Skate. I think jumps are too much to ask though. [emoji23]
I thought Yuna looked too tired in the ATS show which is understandable. I’m curious to see how she will perform in December because as you said, she will have more time to train this time.

axon

Rinkside
Then Yuna for 2022 as well :laugh:
I would NOT object to that :love:

Oh, I’m not going to the show! I WISH! [emoji23]
I just meant that since it’s in december it will be like a christmas gift.

And true, she’ll have more time to practice so maybe she’ll do something different from All That Skate. I think jumps are too much to ask though. [emoji23]
I thought Yuna looked too tired in the ATS show which is understandable. I’m curious to see how she will perform in December because as you said, she will have more time to train this time.
Ohh sorry for the confusion :p And yes, it will be an awesome experience. As for her being tired, I agree, it makes total sense. Cardiovascular fitness fades really easily, it's why athletes have to have lengthy 'preseasons' even if they only stopped playing/performing for a month. Still, this is a woman with an iron will, so I feel if she wants something to happen, it will be done. Either way, it will be great to have another moment to endlessly rewatch :biggrin:

axon

Rinkside
Guys I initially had a hard time watching the Adios Nonino Olympic FS, because of the obviously disgraceful circumstances so I was consoling myself by crying over SITC instead, which is utterly magical and in it's own dimension. However, youtube autoplayed Adios Nonino and my god is it beautiful. It's so melancholic, the moments of bittersweet joy and remembrance integrated with the sadder notes, and it fits the occasion so well. Yuna against the world :sad21::( It's so haunting, the whole situation doesn't leave your mind. I wonder if that's partially why it's so hard to let go - I still get hurt when I think of the results. And I noticed that Yuna's IG profile pic is one of her performing it as well!

Well, at a minimum, it can be said that it meant something to her, and it meant something to us, even if it escaped the judges.

Also, random thought - Yuna is some years older than me, and I know that in FS, perception of ages is kind of warped, but she really was/is so young, and she bore everything with so much grace and dignity, wherever she went. At 18 or even 22, other sportspeople, heck even normal people, are considered very young, and yet she shouldered everything so well. She basically undertook multiple additional years of arduous training, and heaps more pressure, for the future of the sport in her country. Sometimes with celebrity culture, I feel like we mythologize celebrities, and of course I think Yuna is most deserving of her queen title. But in reality, she really is 'just' an amazingly talented, hard working, generous, artistic, and thoughtful young person, and when I look at it that way, it's almost even more amazing. She, and some other skaters, are truly incredibly good role models to people like me, who are just starting their careers :)

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
OMG! I immediately checked flights from my country to Madrid and it reminded me that I'm too poor to go to Spain. LOL
I'm so excited for this because it could mean that Yuna still wants to skate on ice shows. Maybe she'll participate in ATS in the coming years. I'm so happy. :love::love::love::love:

thank you, skating gods :pray::pray::pray:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Surrreall....... Whoohooo....

It is no accidents her programs have mostly aged remarkably well. Even Fever!

I hope for something new from Yuna! Spanish flavoured... she should consider stop by London. I'd like to invite her to see the London rendition of Les Miserable at The Queens Theatre :D

axon

Rinkside
I'm so excited for this because it could mean that Yuna still wants to skate on ice shows. Maybe she'll participate in ATS in the coming years. I'm so happy. :love::love::love::love:
thank you, skating gods :pray::pray::pray:
I feel like she does? I thought the reason she stopped was because she didn't want to give her fans/the public false hope for the 2018 cycle? I feel like I read that somewhere, but my memory is terrible these days. And if she just did ATS 2018 for the Korean fans, why would she go to Javi's show also? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I feel that she is not totally done with shows. :pray:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I feel like she does? I thought the reason she stopped was because she didn't want to give her fans/the public false hope for the 2018 cycle? I feel like I read that somewhere, but my memory is terrible these days. And if she just did ATS 2018 for the Korean fans, why would she go to Javi's show also? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I feel that she is not totally done with shows. :pray:

I remember also reading somewhere that she skates during wee hours so that no one would see and the news wouldn't break. It's really hard being Yuna. The pressure she carries is immense. But with the Olympic cycle being over, maybe she feels free-er and more relaxed. I felt like she was really feeling her program in ATS especially the finale skate.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I wonder how Yuna would do under this new system. Her jumps are divine. +4 and +5 all the way!!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Guys I initially had a hard time watching the Adios Nonino Olympic FS, because of the obviously disgraceful circumstances so I was consoling myself by crying over SITC instead, which is utterly magical and in it's own dimension. However, youtube autoplayed Adios Nonino and my god is it beautiful. It's so melancholic, the moments of bittersweet joy and remembrance integrated with the sadder notes, and it fits the occasion so well. Yuna against the world :sad21::( It's so haunting, the whole situation doesn't leave your mind. I wonder if that's partially why it's so hard to let go - I still get hurt when I think of the results. And I noticed that Yuna's IG profile pic is one of her performing it as well!

Well, at a minimum, it can be said that it meant something to her, and it meant something to us, even if it escaped the judges.
)

I agree with this 100%. I love Adios Nonino- it's probably my favorite program of hers. I watched it today and am always struck by her presence and artistic mastery. Then I realized why I don't often watch it because the score always makes me angry. I will probably be complaining about it on my deathbed. I just try to remember that I was lucky to be a fan of hers when she was competing.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Shout out to everyone that appreciates Adios Nonino for the masterpiece that it is. It is quite possibly my favorite Yuna program of them all :luv17:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Shout out to everyone that appreciates Adios Nonino for the masterpiece that it is. It is quite possibly my favorite Yuna program of them all :luv17:

I was rewatching it the other day. (For some reason, I decided to revisit 2014.) I was amazed, yet again, by how beautiful it is. For all the comments at the time about posing and “face-stroking” not being art, it was such a nuanced and sublime performance. I’ve always preferred Aduos Nonino over Gershwin, though.

Briananing

On the Ice
IM SO HAPPY!!! YUNA IS BACK!!!
My entire wig will be snatched if she shows up with some new programs!!! GET DAVID ON THE PHonE
Yuna must actually like skating again :luv17:- besides David I never thought I’d see Yuna associated with anyone from TCC...
EDIT: take this with a grain of salt but someone on twitter said they ran into David Wilson in August and said Yuna was “planning something new”. I wonder if this is what he meant (?) and if so maybe it means new programs?

I will be honest that i want somebody else choreograph her new program. David program is really hit or miss and it s times for her to try something new again

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I was rewatching it the other day. (For some reason, I decided to revisit 2014.) I was amazed, yet again, by how beautiful it is. For all the comments at the time about posing and “face-stroking” not being art, it was such a nuanced and sublime performance. I’ve always preferred Aduos Nonino over Gershwin, though.

OMG, I did exactly the same thing [emoji7] reminiscing her 2014 programs even though I wasn’t a FS fan then [emoji23]

breadstal

Record Breaker
Back then, I wished Yuna would work with some other choreographers, especially with Tom Dickson who did her iconic Tango de Roxanne and Shae-Lynn would be everything too! But honestly, name more legendary skater-choreographer partnership than Yuna/David, this is kinda part of her legacy now.

Back then, I wished Yuna would work with some other choreographers, especially with Tom Dickson who did her iconic Tango de Roxanne and Shae-Lynn would be everything too! But honestly, name more legendary skater-choreographer partnership than Yuna/David, this is kinda part of her legacy now.

Nichol/Kwan