Yuna Kim | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Re: Yu-Na news

Thanks silverlake.

P.S. can't stop :laugh: at the background pic of her blowing the vuvuzela :p

:) me too. i love yuna. and now she has two baby yuna's to be a big sister to (christina and min-jung)...i wonder if orser has trouble telling those two apart. i know i would, i mean, they are the same height, super skinny, same length and color hair, bendy. anyways it appears that min-jung likes yuna to push her on toys/rides? i've seen a lot of photos where yuna is pushing min-jung on something

parma

On the Ice

Yuna's new gala program music announced:

La Roux's Bulletproof

David Wilson is again the main choreographer and Clarence Ford, a Canadian dancer/choreographer also collaborated with David and Yuna. The program will be hip-hop themed, David said, and will be premiered at Yuna's ice show later this month.

brownfox

On the Ice

Yuna's new gala program music announced:

La Roux's Bulletproof

David Wilson is again the main choreographer and Clarence Ford, a Canadian dancer/choreographer also collaborated with David and Yuna. The program will be hip-hop themed, David said, and will be premiered at Yuna's ice show later this month.

The song is more of eletronic/funky hip hop. hehe.

alfoalfo

Rinkside

haha awesome news! thanks for sharing!

I know im probably jumping the gun here but does anyone have any info or rumors on Yuna's new SP & LP music?

YunaBliss

On the Ice

wow~~ I can't wait!!!!!!!!

BTW, I also will be attending Friday and Sunday shows - 2nd row for Friday and 4th row for Sunday.

brownfox

On the Ice

More on this

credit from sqaulb, this is the translation from Korean article http://spn.edaily.co.kr/sports/newsRead.asp?sub_cd=EB3&newsid=01157846593031568&DirCode=0020300

Queen Yuna to Transform into Hip-Hop Girl:

- Yuna will unveil a new gala program - "Bulletproof" at this month's ATS Summer Ice Show

- Yuna is preparing a program using a piece by La Roux, the quintessential electronica music, and giving it a fresh reinterpretation with funky and hip-hop style

- Yuna is happy with the new program, and stated that this new program will contain very different style of music and choreography from her other programs and she is looking forward to performing it.

- The program is choreographed by David Wilson, and Wilson got the idea several months ago while watching Ellen DeGeneres' talk show, which played the Bulletproof piece. When Yuna asked Wilson to create a new gala program, Wilson's thinking was that the music should be generally popular, but completely different from her other performances and something that no one has done before.

- According to Wilson, Bulletproof's message is about empowering women, and it's a great vehicle to show Yuna's strength as well as her seductive beauty and allow her to be a role model to other women.

- About the overall choreography, Wilson said that audiences can expect to meet a new and completely different Yuna, with new trend-setting move-sets that will bring forth a fresh air to the figure skating world.

- To prepare for the program, Yuna was trained by Clarence Ford, a famous hip-hop choreographer. Parts of the choreography were co-designed by Wilson and Ford. Ford was excited at the opportunity to merge Yuna's beautiful skating with today's hip-hop.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I wish she would have kept a more
emotionally deep piece for her exhibition, but I guess he fans want to see her in cut off tops dancing around more. Personally i like the song, but always think of Evan and Anna's futuristic cha cha.

camion

On the Ice

Oh gosh. Don't remind me. Evan & Anna's cha cha was so silly. But Yuna actually has rhythm so I think she can pull it off. Pop songs always go well with the mainstream audience. I just pray that with this collabo, David [sic] incorporated more skating elements because I hated that Rihanna number where all he made Yuna do was chest popping, shimmy shoulders, and girate.

Last edited:

poloska

Rinkside

Oh gosh. Don't remind me. Evan & Anna's cha cha was so silly. But Yuna actually has rhythm so I think she can pull it off. Pop songs always go well with the mainstream audience. I just pray that with this collabo, David incorporated more skating elements because I hated that Rihanna number where all he made Yuna do was chest popping, shimmy shoulders, and girate.

PDSTM was choreographed by Tracy, I'm sure David will do great job on this one. In my head this song and Yuna goes perfecty with each other. Can't wait!

camion

On the Ice

Oh, sorry. That figures. :)

Yes, it'll be very exciting to see what David and Clarence can concoct for Yuna. I also can't wait to see her costumes! She's never missed looking great since "Danse Macabre" & "Scheherazade"-the make-up, hairstyle & everything is always on point.

brownfox

On the Ice

Hopefully the choreography will be outside of the box, after all Clarence is one innovator.

I don't know where to put this, but I recently reread an article by Harold Schonberg, a noted music critic, about the rivalry between tenors Luciano Pavarotti and Placido Domingo. In their early years, they both vied for supremacy in the operatic world. Both were giants on the landscape: Pavarotti with his ravishing vocal quality and Domingo with his supreme musicianship and strength. In a way, YuNa and Mao are like Domingo and Pavarotti. Each would be a titan in her field whether or not the other were there to provide rivalry. Though it doesn't do to take the comparison down into too much detail, you could cast YuNa as the "dramatic tenor," with the speed, power, and technique of her jumps, with Mao as the "lyric tenor" trying more dramatic repertoire, with her triple axel the equivalent of Luciano's early high C's.

There's no Olympics in opera, so you can't really quantify who's got more medals for his/her talent. Many people prefer one or the other, but most people would agree that both stars, Placido and Luciano, are performers for the ages. I think that will turn out to be true for YuNa and Mao, however many Olympic and/or World gold medals either one wins in total.

Anyway, this is just a comparison that came to me, and this is the closest active thread devoted to either of the two ladies, so I put it here.

Basics

On the Ice

PDSTM was choreographed by Tracy, I'm sure David will do great job on this one. In my head this song and Yuna goes perfecty with each other. Can't wait!

Wasn't it choreographed by Sandra Bezic? I'm pretty sure it was Sandra's work. Anywayz, yeah...PDSTM wasn't my taste either. :biggrin:

As for the new gala, I think it's a good choice. It's really catchy and Korean audience loves the catchy rhythm. :laugh:

YunaBliss

On the Ice

It was Bezic, and I loved Yuna's PDSTM. I hope Bezic can work more with Yuna.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

It was Bezic, and I loved Yuna's PDSTM. I hope Bezic can work more with Yuna.

now that yuna has proved herself medal-wise, I would like to see her branch out and challange herself artistically a la Kwan. PDSTM didn't quite cut it for me, it seemed too much to be fluff that catered to the masses , as was "I'm just a girl" and will be, I fear, "bulletproof."

parma

On the Ice

David Wilson seems to be determined to use Yuna's theatrical abilities as a vehicle to deliver unusual, very modern and interesting programs, in his attempts to bring back interests of younger and more general audience. That is a great approach and hope he succeeds in it.