Yuna Kim | Page 49 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Re: Yu-Na news

Yuna is too good to just fade away. When the time comes, practically everyone will demand Yuna to go for another gold (she will only be 23), and I think she herself will also want to go for another Olympic gold - and immortality.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

I don't think it would be a good idea to put together 2 new programs, and show them to real judges for the first time at Worlds. She will be declared the winner of Korean Nationals from 8,000 miles away, so she should at least do one GP event or Four Continents to try her programs out.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

In my opinion YuNa will probably take the entire season off. I will be surprised if she makes it to Worlds.
The opportunities for YuNa to enjoy herself and pick and choose what she wants to do are probably much more appealing to her
than training and competing this year. She should enjoy the fruits of her labor, she truly deserves it.

prettykeys

Medalist

I'm also very happy about her decision. Latin, Spanish-type music sounds great! Tango de Roxanne at 2007 WC was what made me her fan, and IMO was the only performance where she sort of let go of herself. Now that the pressure of pursuing OGM is off her, I hope she will show us that kind of exuberance again.
Saaaame! When YuNa performed her Tango, it looked like she was just having fun, that she relished each opportunity to show that program. I saw a competitive fire with her Danse Macabre, but I think she had the most fun with El Tango.

The question then becomes, does she have the motivation to continue to push herself forward and stay at the top? Or will she sorta let herself go like Sarah Hughes did in 2003? Of course we can't answer that now and must stay tuned
Sarah Hughes had something else in line to look forward to when she retired: school at a prestigious university. YuNa doesn't have any particular short- or long-term goals lined up, but she may just want to live a regular life and explore other things. Yes, we'll have to see if YuNa still has a fire for skating, but it is easy for me to forgive both Sarah's exit and YuNa's potential one...

That's an artwork made by a fan.
I love it! Awesome Photoshop skills.

I don't think it would be a good idea to put together 2 new programs, and show them to real judges for the first time at Worlds. She will be declared the winner of Korean Nationals from 8,000 miles away, so she should at least do one GP event or Four Continents to try her programs out.
I was thinking more along the lines of YuNa possibly wanting to skate in a competition for her fans in Korea, so the Korean Nationals would be a decent option for it.

prettykeys

Medalist

In my opinion YuNa will probably take the entire season off. I will be surprised if she makes it to Worlds.
The opportunities for YuNa to enjoy herself and pick and choose what she wants to do are probably much more appealing to her
than training and competing this year. She should enjoy the fruits of her labor, she truly deserves it.
This would have been the best option, IMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker

Funny thing is that Hughes never officially retired. Neither did Kwan. Looks like the "cool thing to do" now, at least for US skaters, is just to "keep that door open" until they're 80. :laugh:

"Are you going to try out for the 2060 Games?" [from wheelchair, thrusting cane in the air] "Maybe, just keeping my options open. I only have a couple more years to live anyway, why not? Gotta take it one day at a time...well, make that one hour at a time"

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist

kinda of expected it. glad for her, she needs to focus on herself and what she needs to do to keep fresh and skating in perspective.
now it also opens up the door for other skaters to make more of a name for themselves in the gp series.

brownfox

On the Ice

I was thinking more along the lines of YuNa possibly wanting to skate in a competition for her fans in Korea, so the Korean Nationals would be a decent option for it.

I will LOL if Yuna shows up at the Korean Nationals. They will likely declare her as the winner even without showing up.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

Funny thing is that Hughes never officially retired. Neither did Kwan. Looks like the "cool thing to do" now, at least for US skaters, is just to "keep that door open" until they're 80. :laugh:

"Are you going to try out for the 2060 Games?" [from wheelchair, thrusting cane in the air] "Maybe, just keeping my options open. I only have a couple more years to live anyway, why not? Gotta take it one day at a time...well, make that one hour at a time"

Good one! :laugh:

Mr. Cinquanta will not like this very much.

I think the only thing Cinquanta can do is decree that she cannot be in any shows or exhibitions during the Grand Prix season. (?)

As a "seeded skater," does she have to submit some kind of official lame excuse about why she is skipping the Grand Prix, or can she just tell Speedy to stick the Grand Prix in his ear?

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

That's a good point. She may not be able to claim exhaustion, then skate in shows during the Grand Prix.

sorcerer

Final Flight

I think the only thing Cinquanta can do is decree that she cannot be in any shows or exhibitions during the Grand Prix season. (?)
As a "seeded skater," does she have to submit some kind of official lame excuse about why she is skipping the Grand Prix, or can she just tell Speedy to stick the Grand Prix in his ear?
If I were YuNa I would want to do the same, sit out till my motivation comes back, not knowing when it'll be but even in that status having to think about the 2 spots for the country.

But the ISU who did things tough and square for Plush can't show too much of favoritism.
What's more, since Communication 1023 is purposely reposted on its GP webpage this year, ISU can't neglect its own warning for the seeded skaters to give absolute priority to ISU events.

So I think the ISU will say something about this and consequently YuNa's shows that may offend 1023 may have to be re-scheduled, perhaps?

I don't want to imagine that YuNa will think she is exceptional to the rules. She'll pay full respect to ISU, at least I hope so.

cosmos

On the Ice

If I were YuNa I would want to do the same, sit out till my motivation comes back, not knowing when it'll be but even in that status having to think about the 2 spots for the country.

But the ISU who did things tough and square for Plush can't show too much of favoritism.
What's more, since Communication 1023 is purposely reposted on its GP webpage this year, ISU can't neglect its own warning for the seeded skaters to give absolute priority to ISU events.

So I think the ISU will say something about this and consequently YuNa's shows that may offend 1023 may have to be re-scheduled, perhaps?

I don't want to imagine that YuNa will think she is exceptional to the rules. She'll pay full respect to ISU, at least I hope so.
I don't understand what you are talking about. I'm pretty sure there is no more YuNa show in the rest of the year.

sorcerer

Final Flight

Well then this seems to have given me a wrong impression :
http://tony-wheeler.blogspot.com/2010/07/yu-na-kim-skipping-2011-other-toronto.html
which said "according to some trusted sources".

However and though I find it partly unreasonable, ISU's logic is that even if he/she doesn't do shows within the period, for a skater placed in top 6 at Worlds (= seeded), the pulling out from GPs itself needs valid reason.

... If without valid reason the skater(s) is unable or unwilling to compete, Rule 125, para. 4 will apply. (Exclusion from ISU Events, International Competitions, Olympic Winter Games and exhibitions).

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Poor Tony, he got such a bad rap from that blog spot.

To be honest I still go by his statement in that ONE competition does not a season make. Worlds ONLY? not a season, just a competition. Let her sit it out and come back next season, what would it hurt?

sorcerer

Final Flight

Poor Tony, he got such a bad rap from that blog spot.
...Worlds ONLY? not a season, just a competition. Let her sit it out and come back next season, what would it hurt?
I didn't imagine it would be a bad rap (?)
... though I don't know the meaning of that expression ... sounds something unfavorable?

Anyway IMO it also doesn't hurt that YuNa only participates in the Worlds to keep the 2 Korean spots. "Why not" for this too.

I think it's very arrogant of the ISU side to oblige seeded skaters to participate in the GP's by the way of threatening the possible loss of eligibility to participate in the Worlds if a valid reason is lacking.
Or to put it this way, temporary loss of motivation to compete (after success) should be a valid enough reason to take a rest IMO.

The one point ISU may have sound reason if any is that decisions of "in/out" should be made before the assignments, especially of those skaters the sponsors are looking for. (which are clause-technically the "seeded" skaters. Of course in reality many more are seeked for.)
And the ISU may say that the member federations are responsible for keeping this. Bureaucracy it is, but maybe inevitable to keep the Union unsided and neutral...well seemingly at least.

Last edited: